View Poll Results: Topaz or iPad2

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Topaz webOS tablet ?

    42 82.35%
  • iPad 2 ?

    9 17.65%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58
  1. #21  
    We don't know any solid info on any of these tablets. I could say the iPad 2 would rock my socks off yet on Feb. 9th HP could blow my pipes and make me want their tablets. At this point, no one really knows.

    However, if we are going by the rumors alone, then I am more excited about the Topaz and Opal. While it seems a lot of people care about screen resolution alone -- the Topaz has amazing feature set according to Engadget. Everything from Tap-to-Share to music sharing, and even the Phone-to-Tablet communication are amazing features. And I think having the ability to be reading PreCentral.net and then answer my phone without having my phone (because the notification comes to my tablet as well) is a cool feature. I can have my phone in my room and still use it. How cool is that? Can the iPad 2 do that? Nope! Not according to your rumors.

    However, this brings me to my original point: we can't judge a product without knows real info. What if the Topaz can not do this and the iPad 2 can? Then obviously, the iPad 2 is the better product. So lets wait and see!


    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Suggest to go to precentral sister site: iPad 2 rumor wars: 20481536 strikes back | TiPb

    Now the ipad 2 is coming in Feb 9 ? Rumor: iPad 2 To Launch On February 9th

    What a headache for HP ?
    It's possible but I think Apple would want to announce the iPad 2 before actually releasing it. I mean, has Apple ever just lunched a product without announcing it before? Or has Apple announced and shown off it's iPad 2 and I missed it?
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Hard to believe there's still debate about this eh? More pixels the better.

    As to whether the ipad will get this resolution, there's good points to each side. Apple likes to hold off on things to sell future upgrades (such as an ipad 3). And cameras alone will sell a lot of ipads.
    Thank you. More pixels is always better so long as the power requirement doesn't become overwhelming. The comments about too many pixels causing poorer quality viewing are simply laughable.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Everything from Tap-to-Share to music sharing, and even the Phone-to-Tablet communication are amazing features. And I think having the ability to be reading PreCentral.net and then answer my phone without having my phone (because the notification comes to my tablet as well) is a cool feature. I can have my phone in my room and still use it. How cool is that? Can the iPad 2 do that? Nope! Not according to your rumors.
    Facetime or skype works about the same way. Both devices would ring. And honestly, i always have the iphone nearby or in my pocket.

    Airplay is a huge feature and will be expanded.

    I'm not sure how i feel about Tap to Share. Need to know more.
  4. #24  
    I know I could be wrong, but in my opinion it is absurd to think they would use something exceeding 1080p resolution on a tablet computer!
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Facetime or skype works about the same way. Both devices would ring. And honestly, i always have the iphone nearby or in my pocket.

    Airplay is a huge feature and will be expanded.

    I'm not sure how i feel about Tap to Share. Need to know more.
    I think that was my point. We need to know more to really judge anything.

    And I realize most ppl always have their phone near by, but the first thing I do when I get home is empty my pockets. I would be rich if I had a dime for each call I missed because my phone was in another room. And Facetime and Skype is a video calling feature, am I correct? How does that auto share a web page or allow you to answer your iPhone when you have your iPad in your hands? I am just curious cuz I do not have facetime on my iPod so maybe I missed a feature or two.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    We don't know any solid info on any of these tablets. I could say the iPad 2 would rock my socks off yet on Feb. 9th HP could blow my pipes and make me want their tablets. At this point, no one really knows.

    However, if we are going by the rumors alone, then I am more excited about the Topaz and Opal. While it seems a lot of people care about screen resolution alone -- the Topaz has amazing feature set according to Engadget. Everything from Tap-to-Share to music sharing, and even the Phone-to-Tablet communication are amazing features. And I think having the ability to be reading PreCentral.net and then answer my phone without having my phone (because the notification comes to my tablet as well) is a cool feature. I can have my phone in my room and still use it. How cool is that? Can the iPad 2 do that? Nope! Not according to your rumors.

    However, this brings me to my original point: we can't judge a product without knows real info. What if the Topaz can not do this and the iPad 2 can? Then obviously, the iPad 2 is the better product. So lets wait and see!
    Personaly I prefer the Topaz for all those features that the webos software 2.1 has (version number for the tablet : unknown) and will have , like the tap to share.

    Things are getting hot at this time. And there is not "show stoppers" again for the HP (Palm) event.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I know I could be wrong, but in my opinion it is absurd to think they would use something exceeding 1080p resolution on a tablet computer!
    It's absurd to think that it's possible. I mean...that's some walking on the moon type stuff compared to what we have right now. I'm skeptical but I really hope it's true.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Thank you. More pixels is always better so long as the power requirement doesn't become overwhelming. The comments about too many pixels causing poorer quality viewing are simply laughable.
    How's that? Go play the average 360p internet video on a 1080p screen and see just how bad it is. Now imagine that on a screen with 50% more pixels. It's like watching standard definition tv stretched onto a 1080p tv, but much worse. And all the games that aren't made specifically for this new resolution would also look pretty bad cause of the mass stretching.

    Yes, internet browsing and pictures and native apps would look good, but you're fooling yourself if you think that the above is false.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    How's that? Go play the average 360p internet video on a 1080p screen and see just how bad it is. Now imagine that on a screen with 50% more pixels. It's like watching standard definition tv stretched onto a 1080p tv, but much worse. And all the games that aren't made specifically for this new resolution would also look pretty bad cause of the mass stretching.

    Yes, internet browsing and pictures and native apps would look good, but you're fooling yourself if you think that the above is false.
    So it's your supposition that screen resolutions should be kept low because current content is already low resolution and putting it on a higher resolution screen somehow makes it even lower resolution? How have we ever managed to migrate from standard definition to high definition television?

    Vizzini: Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
    The Dread Pirate Robert: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

    -- from The Princess Bride
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    So it's your supposition that screen resolutions should be kept low because current content is already low resolution and putting it on a higher resolution screen somehow makes it even lower resolution? How have we ever managed to migrate from standard definition to high definition television?

    Vizzini: Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
    The Dread Pirate Robert: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

    -- from The Princess Bride
    I never said to keep it low. The iPad resolution is already low, but if they were to bump it, it should be somewhere between 720p and 1080p. Putting low resolution content on a higher resolution display will have to stretch that image multiple times to fit the higher resolution screen, which makes the video look really bad.

    We've migrated to HDTVs because we actually have content for it. HD streams from cable, HD on the web from netflix, blu-rays, hi-def gaming consoles. Who has video content for a 3.1million pixel display? How many people do you know that has a RED camera that shares his videos with you? It's the reason why all those 4K (8million+ pixel) TVs are only in gadget shows and not on store shelves.

    1080p content wouldn't look bad on it because of the small streching, but how many people do you know that has 1080p videos on their computer ready to transfer? And keep in mind that 1080p blu-rays movies are around 40GB each.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Thank you. More pixels is always better so long as the power requirement doesn't become overwhelming. The comments about too many pixels causing poorer quality viewing are simply laughable.
    It's because you see even more how bad lower resolution stuff looks. And there's still a lot of that around.

    I have standard DVD(old TV shows have not all been released in HD or Blu-ray) on HDTV and some of the stuff is grainy, despite upscaling.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12. #32  
    It mostly depends on the quality of the source material. Yeah, when you blow up something of poor quality, which you cannot perceive on a very small screen, onto a larger screen, it makes the flaws (and compression artifacts) more apparent. A 360p video actually looks okay on a larger screen as long as it is of adequate quality (i.e. not overly compressed, and using a high quality codec).

    Equally important is screen quality. A low-budget 720p tv can't come close to a mid or high end 1080p tv even playing the same hi-definition source material. I assure you, the ipad 2 will have a high quality screen.

    Also, if scaling is done properly, it does not degrade the picture. My bluray player does a much better job upscaling DVDs than my upscaling DVD player did. You don't need HD content to enjoy an HDTV. DVD's look much better on my 1080p plasma tv that then did on my analog projection tv - and it had a great picture for an analog projection tv. Both quality brand names, same size screen, but the 1080p tv with higher resolution has higher quality - not worse. Can I pick out the mpeg compression easier on the 1080p tv? Yes, but overall it looks much better. Sure, HD content looks even better.
  13. #33  
    lol, a 9" pad with that resolution gonna shrank every font to the ant size.

    Resolution wise, its not the higher, the better.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It mostly depends on the quality of the source material. Yeah, when you blow up something of poor quality, which you cannot perceive on a very small screen, onto a larger screen, it makes the flaws (and compression artifacts) more apparent. A 360p video actually looks okay on a larger screen as long as it is of adequate quality (i.e. not overly compressed, and using a high quality codec).

    Equally important is screen quality. A low-budget 720p tv can't come close to a mid or high end 1080p tv even playing the same hi-definition source material. I assure you, the ipad 2 will have a high quality screen.

    Also, if scaling is done properly, it does not degrade the picture. My bluray player does a much better job upscaling DVDs than my upscaling DVD player did. You don't need HD content to enjoy an HDTV. DVD's look much better on my 1080p plasma tv that then did on my analog projection tv - and it had a great picture for an analog projection tv. Both quality brand names, same size screen, but the 1080p tv with higher resolution has higher quality - not worse. Can I pick out the mpeg compression easier on the 1080p tv? Yes, but overall it looks much better. Sure, HD content looks even better.
    Well yeah, analog TVs arent exactly high quality. And, they're playing at 480i, so they can't take full advantage of a DVD.

    The problem with that is if they put all this good upscaling, LED, 3:2 pulldown, 24fps, etc etc etc, how much room would they have for the actual tablet components?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    lol, a 9" pad with that resolution gonna shrank every font to the ant size.

    Resolution wise, its not the higher, the better.
    No, iOS' UI scales. Otherwise text would be unreadable on the Retina Display.

    And why are we talking like streaming video is the only thing people view on their tablets?
  16. #36  
    Thank you nappy!
    Guys think of it like this: More pixels = crisper picture. On the iPhone text and images scale and you get only a better picture never a worse one.

    Explained here:


    Soon this will be a discussion of the past cause everything will have more pixels than the eye can see.
    Last edited by IcerC; 01/20/2011 at 03:02 PM.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  17. #37  
    Well nappy, videos people encode themselves and put on their mobile are also sometimes lower quality due to file size constraints. Although if you still have the original HD video file, you can probably reencode for higher resolution(or just copy that one over), since the new iPad is supposed to go up to 128GB(that's another rumor though).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    No, iOS' UI scales. Otherwise text would be unreadable on the Retina Display.

    And why are we talking like streaming video is the only thing people view on their tablets?
    It's not, but local video and streaming video is probably a big thing. Games also. You would def not want to play a iphone 3gs or below game on this resolution. Stretching over 20 times to fit would look like...well you get the picture.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    It's not, but local video and streaming video is probably a big thing. Games also. You would def not want to play a iphone 3gs or below game on this resolution. Stretching over 20 times to fit would look like...well you get the picture.
    Twice the resolution means 4x the pixels. Any game developer that cares about the quality of their game/product will gladly welcome this change.
  20. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #40  
    Topaz.

    Even if they iPad 2 has double the pixels (Which is unlikely), the Topaz looks like it'll hold it's own. With a resolution between the original iPad and the the iPad 2, better "integration" features, and competitive pricing this tablet will be a winner.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions