Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Don’t get me wrong, I love my specs. Like all tech enthusiasts, I believe the more the better. I want my device to be the fastest, coolest, and to win every spec comparison out there. But when it comes to Smartphone, does it really matter?

For digital cameras, printers, scanners and the likes specs does matter. It is tied directly to the output quality of those devices. The user pushes a button and the device performs a certain task. Push a button to print, scan, or take a picture. Interaction between the user and device is kept at a minimal. It’s not as involved as is with Smartphone, and doesn’t need to be.

With Smartphone, software and built quality are most important. Ease of use of the UI is essential because the UI is how the user interacts with the device. The internals (specs) just have to be able to keep things smooth and fluid.

Built quality has to be solid. The device has to be built well enough to handle the day to day use without any noticeable wear and tear within a reasonable amount of time frame (2.5- 3yrs in this case). Materials used in constructions (external casing) must be of high quality making the device feel and look like a premium product.

With that being said, Android devices need to have the best specs. They are competing with devices from different manufactures running the same OS. Manufacturers have to differentiate their products from like devices. The only way to do so is to market specifications. This is why every new Android device talk up the specs. webOS, iOS, or RIM doesn't have this to worry about because their device(s) are running proprietary OS’.

All I’m asking from HP is to give us a device that is built of premium materials and has the guts to perform fluidly and smoothly without any lag.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by olidie; 01/20/2011 at 01:45 AM.
    I don't think printers and scanners really need the greatest specifications, they aren't going to be doing much if they are being used by the individual and not a company. I'd agree if you had said anything about computers, they do need great specifications because of the amount of work we do on them.

From what I've seen the Pre 2 is pretty sturdy and runs smoothly. If we find out that it doesn't run the way we want it, we will patch it and overclock it. I do agree that HP/Palm should try to built a great quality device because of all the problems we've seen with iPhones, Pre's and plenty of the Android devices.

If they built a solid device with great hardware they would jump up on the market share and really put a name out for Palm and HP.
    I completely agree, which is the reason I'm not worried by the Engadget tipster's remark that the phones wouldn't be all that special.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I would rather have good specs and great battery life than super specs and mediocre battery life. Battery life trumps specs for me.
    Specs are more irrelevant to WebOS because it is still comparatively laggy on most hardware. Maybe whatever version of 2.x will change this once it reaches older hardware, but that's an unknown. I think throwing specs at the problem is senseless when there are 2 million or so devices out there that will continue to be used and sold on the secondhand market that could use it much more.

Windows Phone 7 got this right by tuning the software to the very first spec, so while using old Snapdragon hardware that hit the market the same time as the Pre guts, they deliver a much smoother UI experience. WebOS needs to be tuned so that it runs smooth on the oldest Pixi. The rest will take care of itself.
    Specs matter across the board. webOS is not competing in a bubble (nor are any of the other OSes). While not all consumers care that deeply about specs, some do. A platform needs consumers from both camps to succeed. Often it is the specs that determine certain usability constraints of smartphones. Want to do vid conferencing? Your specs better include a front-facing cam. Want apps like Layer, your specs better include a compass. Gesture based apps? Capacitive screens help. Fancy 3D games like Need For Speed? Accelerometer. Heavy web surfing? It would be nice if you had wifi listed in those specs (looking at you Sprint Pixi).

I'd argue that many more consumers indirectly care about specs because of the feature set they may want. They may not say I need a very powerful/efficient processor and gpu, but they may very well want a phone that can record HD video. They may not request super amoled or retina display, but they may very well be swayed if a picture of their newborn "looks better" to them on one device vs another.
    Quote Originally Posted by lancepr View Post
    I would rather have good specs and great battery life than super specs and mediocre battery life. Battery life trumps specs for me.
    I would rather have good specs and a good phone than super specs and mediocre phone. After all, the phone is what we initially purchased the Smartphone for. I also have a problem with people who buy a smartphone without a compass in it and complain that it doesn’t have a compass.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Specs is all relevant to how the system operates. And specs is all manufactures of android phones can compete on, because the OS is the same, other than manufacture specific skins.

with hp webos im sure they will have high end good spec phones but i dont expect to see dual core tegra 2 anytime soon in the webos world.
    I don't really care so much about how fast we can do multitask, it seems like that's the only think we are holding on webOS.

Make the phone with good quality. And make it look modern. Pre, Pre both looks too cheap.
    Make the OS with less bug. And make it work without any patches. If user wants to make it customize he or she liking it, then feel free to use patches. But it has to work everything right out of box.
    And try to release OS upgrade much faster. And please release all the api, damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Specs is all relevant to how the system operates. And specs is all manufactures of android phones can compete on, because the OS is the same, other than manufacture specific skins.

with hp webos im sure they will have high end good spec phones but i dont expect to see dual core tegra 2 anytime soon in the webos world.
    I don't ever to expect to see terga 2 processors, but OMAP 4 processors. Maybe not the first line up -- although a guy could hope .

I don't think specs matter as much but for future innovation you do want to be able to handle whatever you plan on doing in the future.