1.    #1  
    Tablets.......Netbooks.....Notebooks......E-Readers....things of that nature.

The mudslingin' never ends. Nothing seems to be good enough for some. People love to argue about whether or not an iPad is better than a GooglePad or a Topaz, which company's stocks are worth more and percentages of marketshare.

Me, as interested as I am in my smartphone, I'm not seeing it. I've used laptops before, and really don't like them. Good in a pinch, travelling on the road, and thank God my road travelling days are over.

People say ....blablabla... not coming in x months....blablabla......iPad/GooglePad whatever. So tell me, other than to keeping up with the Jones's, being the cool kid on the block, what good is one of these tablets good for?

I bought the most expensive computer in the store 2 and a half years ago, without really knowing a whole lot about computers at the time. It is still holding up fairly well to today's standards, so other than probably spending more money than I should have, I don't think that was entirely a bad choice.
    I have (in my opinion) a decent smartphone, so between that and my 64bit Intel Core2 Quad CPU running at 2.4GHz with 3GB RAM, 1.5TB HD... I'm failing to see how one of these are going to help me.

If I'm not at home,(this usually means I'm at work....working, at the park with my dog, or over at friends houses) my smartphone fits in my pocket, and whatever it is that I need to access can be accessed by that. If I am at home, my desktop, which is a painstakingly 15 steps away from the living room (Oh God, I have to get up off the couch to play games/surf the net/etc)

Obviously, my needs are met. I don't take transit to work, it's a 10 minute drive to and from work for me. I guess I just don't fit the demographic for one of these tablets. It won't be until the price drops dramatically before I even consider buying one, and on that note, I haven't considered laptops, note/netbooks at this point either.

So for those of you that are pumped about the new hardware, I'm happy for you (and no sarcasm here) but it's a bit lackluster for me. Maybe once some new phones get put out ( and although I've had my Pre for a year now, and on my 5th which I activated yesterday) I might get excited, but even then, I pretty much have a brand new phone, which unless it breaks (covered by insurance warranty for another 4 months), I'll just have to get by with my "old and outdated" Pre.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    To have more products to have a variety of screen sizes is a luxury. Once youve hit your budget, u stop caring.
  3.    #3  
    budget aside.....that wasn't what I was getting at. How does it apply in the real world?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    We are going to try using Tablets this year for construction management on job sites. We also need smartphones for email, gps, etc

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I see pandas.
    What i meant was, not a necessity at all. Especially If u have a smartphone on u, u can almost allways get quick information and some entertainment. If u have a pc, u can do all that + edit media.

Those r pretty luxurious on their own. The evolution of technology is going to try to improve ease of use and whqt it offers. But Its good if u dont feel a need to get every new shiny object. Besides once in a long wile, u can probably use or invest your money more wisely.
    Our company ordered 4 slates from HP when they were released (still waiting for them) for use for field surveys. I'll get one myself for my work stuff. Besides being a gadget-hound and love new toys, a tablet fits in really well for my job when visiting clients. Being able to have a simple device like that for demo's, and completing application forms on-site is fantastic. Definitely looking forward to this for both business and personal desires.
    How long does the slates battery last?
    I usually surf the web at night from my pre. A tablet would be a big step up. Also, I write most of the day in a shack with no electricity (i'm not the unibomber). My laptop dies in a few hours. I'd love the simplicity of writing with a tablet and bt keyboard, provided the tablet has some office software. Seems simple, effective, and minimalist. Just what I am looking for.
    According to Apple's earnings call today, 14.8 million people were interested in their tablet. For me, personally, it's the size and battery life. It's great for when I'm on the couch, watching tv and want to quickly look something up, check the email or whatever. It's generally within arms distance (whether it be on my desk or coffee table).

I can take week-long trips with the iPad and not have to worry about a charger. If I take along my bluetooth keyboard, it instantly makes it a viable replacement for a laptop. For me, anyways.

Edit: By the way, those numbers above equate to over 55,000 iPad's sold daily.
    Last edited by barkerja; 01/18/2011 at 10:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    How long does the slates battery last?
    No clue.. they haven't delivered yet! LOL
    iPad lasts a few days for under moderate use. Much more than a full day under heavy use. I am quite impressed with it. It is just always "on". No boot up time, no delays, just wake.
    I travel in the field and maintain a help desk, it is just on and ready. For traveling, it is light, I bring a small bluetooth keyboard when I expect to do heavy blogging or typing.
    We walk into a job, observe, and make reports without opening anything and without having to sit down. Personally, skype, watching movies, checking email, maintaining to do lists, reading news, viewing pictures I love it. I was not impressed when it came out, but when I got one.. different story. I have sold at least 7 for Apple via my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    No clue.. they haven't delivered yet! LOL
    So that means you haven't had to recharge them yet? That's a strong battery!
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    iPad lasts a few days for under moderate use. Much more than a full day under heavy use. I am quite impressed with it. It is just always "on". No boot up time, no delays, just wake.
    I travel in the field and maintain a help desk, it is just on and ready. For traveling, it is light, I bring a small bluetooth keyboard when I expect to do heavy blogging or typing.
    We walk into a job, observe, and make reports without opening anything and without having to sit down. Personally, skype, watching movies, checking email, maintaining to do lists, reading news, viewing pictures I love it. I was not impressed when it came out, but when I got one.. different story. I have sold at least 7 for Apple via my friends.
    The funny part is...everything in bold people do with their phones haha.

I agree, its a nice luxury item, but for my personal use, it would just be replicating much of what i do on my phone just on a bigger screen.....any tablet really.

But yeah, battery is excellent...i mean if you've ever seen the inside:

Thats the Mobo for the iPad.....this is the battery:

The iPhone already has pretty good battery life....throw a MUCH larger battery with it and you'll get great battery life.
    People don't realize that some companies simply cannot run certain applications on a small screen (even 7") and make them usable. We use netbooks in the field and hate them. A somewhat larger screen device in tablet form is perfect for our applications - which is why we jumped on the Slate. We customize certain applications for use in the field on different projects and we are just one of hundreds of companies in this state that do such things. The corporate tablet market is huge.