Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    To start off, I'm an original Sprint Palm Pre owner, having purchased my original Pre in June 2009. Since that time, I've had to replace the Pre once (because of a slight oreo effect) and had the faceplate replaced once because of the USB crack.

On December 24, 2010, I finally decided to test out Android because of the sweet deal I got on the EVO 4G, for $99 at Radio Shack. I figured with CES coming up, I'd have 30 days to test out Android and to see if HP-Palm would have any breaking news for me. I, of course, kept my Pre.

At the time I went to the EVO, my main issue with the Pre was the fact that it kept getting stuck in headset mode. That was driving me nuts. Even with Ghastly Headset, an awesome app, the problems persisted because, as admitted by the app developer, there's a bug that's causing the phone to revert back to headset mode every time it rings or something else happens. In any case, I was also really frustrated by the Google Maps application and how long it took to open compared to the app on the iPhone and on Android.

Well, the EVO 4G rocks as a phone. It's fast, blazing fast. Apps open pretty much instantly. I think webOS should revert back to how it originally was when an app would open fully, as opposed to the change from one of the updates when it now opens as a card and flashes forever until it opens (FYI, I do have Preware and patches, and I am running 500/1ghz Uberkernal via Govnah (major props to all of the homebrew and webOS internals guys out there). Anyhow, loved Google Maps and its navigation app on Android 2.2. So effing awesome. I also liked all of the apps I could download (being available and free). For example, DropBox on Android is a free application, whereas it's $2, I think, for webOS. Not a huge cost, I know, but that's not the point.

I had never used an on-screen keyboard before, so it took about a day of getting adjusted, but after that I was flying no problem using the HTC Sense keyboard. I tried out Swype, also, and I was impressed, but there's some bug with the keyboard right now and this tutorial thing pops up every other second, which was very very very annoying. In any case, the virtual keyboard was fine. I was able to type super fast on it. What helped was the spell checker and prediction.

I also really loved having visual voicemail (for free!). I hope webOS incorporates this.

But for me, the EVO was way too big. I loved the screen size, don't get me wrong, but just holding it was bugging me. Maybe too big of a change (no pun intended) going from the Pre to the EVO. On January 12, I exchanged it for the EVO Shift 4G.

Also a very good phone, but I immediately noticed the difference in screen size, but I soon enough adjusted. The physical keyboard is nice, but with the keys being so spaced out from each other, I found it a bit uncomfy to type on, always having to stretch my thumb or finger across (I'd say I have normal size hands, being 5'7"). I relied primarly on the on-screen keyboard, unless I had to type in passwords that had a mix of letters, large and small cap, and numbers.

Well, folks ... today, January 18, 2011, I'm back to my Pre after having returned the EVO Shift 4G. You ask why? Well, it's simple. I missed webOS. I love the gestures, I love the cards. I just love webOS. Call me a believer in what it is, but more so in what it could and can be. Maybe I'm drinking Kool-Aid, but I feel like I was there from the get-go of webOS, and I want to see it through. HP purchased Palm, so I want to see what the future will look like for webOS smartphones under HP's control. Plus, I obviously know about the Feb 9 event, and Sprint's Feb. 7 announcement, so I had to go back to the Pre (and keep my upgrade in tact) for at least 3 more weeks, no?

With Android, I hated how multi-tasking worked. I know, I know, it's not that big of a deal, but for as fast as Android and the EVO phones operate, it seemed forever to me to have to hold down the home button in order to pull up the most recent 8 apps (Martias Duarte mentioned this in a recent CES interview, and I'm sure Android make it speedier to see most recent apps). I missed the cards, how it easy it just is to to flip between apps, to close them, etc. It's true, you go from one app to another in Android, and you totally forget that you had the other open. I know that Android does a great job of hybernating and shutting down apps automatically, but there's really something about cards being open and knowing which apps you have open.

Comparitively, I didn't like how Android's "universal search" compared to the Pre's. With Android, you hit the search button and it defaults to Google search. Finding contacts is a bit of a pain. With webOS, you seriously just start typing and boom! I like how that works with internet search, also.

Well fellas, I'm a webOS believer and, naive or not, I'm going to hold out for the next webOS phone on Sprint. Who the hell knows when that'll be. But I saw that you can buy the OEM Pre batteries for like $3 on Amazon, so I'll get me an extra battery, and I'll get me headphones with a mic for the phone calls. :-)

The near month with Android was an education, and I'm glad I did it. I'm a big believer in knowing and understanding the competition, so it was great to see that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, at least not for me. My wishes for webOS includes:

visual voicemail
    better Google Maps application
    better spell-checker and text prediction (for physical keyboard and on-screen)
    an onscreen keyboard
    faster application launch
    faster phone boot time
    webOS on a bigger screen (3.7" would be ideal)
    pattern security lock
    more APIs and applications to go with it (the good ones)
    bigger battery and better battery management, i.e., more efficient processing
    threaded messaging in Gmail

There's more, but can't think of them right now. And I was initially planning to do a more in-depth analysis of both operating systems comparitively, but I'm starving. Sorry!

Glad to be back using my Sprint Palm Pre with webOS!
    Comparitively, I didn't like how Android's "universal search" compared to the Pre's. With Android, you hit the search button and it defaults to Google search. Finding contacts is a bit of a pain. With webOS, you seriously just start typing and boom! I like how that works with internet search, also.
    Did you have contacts selected in universal search? Its not on by default I believe.

Thats the screen..essentially letting you pick what you want universal search to include.

Contacts and applications will come before google search suggestions:
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    The headphone jack problem was what finally drove me to the EVO Shift; the OG EVO was just too big for me to consider. I also have the apps I was waiting for on WebOS; I wanted a Rhapsody and a Sirius Radio app. Got them both; no charge for the apps (other than the subscriptions I already had). I'm not nuts about Android but it's working OK for me. I'm not a big ol' power user; email, web, and an occasional call. I got the Shift on 1/8; still mentally, if not physically all the time, using the gesture area. Had I had some inkling that 2/9 would come with the announcement great phones and tons of app development I probably would have waited it out. I keep checking PreCentral for WebOS phone leaks as I am still in my 30 days.
    By the way, the people here on PreCentral forum are a lot more passionate and seem cooler than over on AndroidCentral
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Did you have contacts selected in universal search? Its not on by default I believe.
    Thats the screen..essentially letting you pick what you want universal search to include.

Contacts and applications will come before google search suggestions:
    Is "friend stream" the contacts?
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Is "friend stream" the contacts?
    No. Friend Stream is an app (a widget really) that gives you things like Twitter and Facebook "streams" in a single view.

"People" is the contacts and is not in that screen shot because you have to scroll to get to it (and other options) available for inclusion in Universal Search.

The list grows as you add supported apps to your device. On my device, I have 16 options available including things like Kindle, Google Sky Map, Dolphin Browser Mini and Voicemail.
    thanks. I guess it would be easy to miss that, then. Weird, because I would think "people" would be a common thing to want universal search to include.

I wish the Pre included calendar entries in its search. I had to download a seaprate ap to do that, and every time I use it, I have to go find it and open it. Nuisance. That's something that belongs in universal search. ("I don't suppose it is in version 2.0?", she says hopefully.)
    On my EVO Shift it included people in universal search.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    thanks. I guess it would be easy to miss that, then. Weird, because I would think "people" would be a common thing to want universal search to include.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    On my EVO Shift it included people in universal search.
    Yeah, I honestly don't remember if I had to "turn on" the People inclusion or not but it is on for my EVO. Fortunately, it's a "set it and forget it" thing.
    It didn't come on default on my Evo in August...could be different now. Funny thing is i actually turned it back off....I instead prefer just hoping in the "People" app when i need to call someone.

When i text i have all the people i text on a weekly basis already in my threaded list so I just go in there and hit the search button or just pick it if its on the first screen.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I returned my 30 day trial Evo today, also. The size didn't bother me--actually, for such a large phone, it felt quite comfortable in my hand & I am a short 5'5" guy--but I never got used to the keyboard--it thought it was smarter than me & continued to make up words vs what I had typed. As a result, I had to definitely reread everything I wrote & even started looking at individual words as I typed them. This took a lot of extra time. I did like how it would remember a word I had made up or abbreviated. I believe webOS 2.0 does this.

I loved the screen & hardware in general. As mentioned in a post above, I didn't like their universal search as much. Even though there is lots of real estate on the screen, if I started typing, the keyboard would often cover the contact for which I was searching. I would either have to keep typing, clear the keyboard or scroll the list of contacts keeping the keyboard in view. Using the 2 initials of the contact didn't work as it does on the Pre.

I loved the # of quality apps. They call their store the Market and there were only a couple apps I couldn't find I knew were on the iPhone, but I believe there were also some apps the Evo had available not on the iPhone. The Pre has some very good apps, but we just aren't in the league yet.

I also liked some things about the camera. Obviously, the resolution was great as was the ability to zoom. I hated that I couldn't take a screen shot w/o jail breaking the phone. Maybe there is a way, but according to the Forums, couldn't be done w/o jail breaking the phone. I had a beautiful picture of Manhattan from the air. The day was perfect & when I expanded the picture, the reflection of the skyscrapers on the water--it was magnificent. But, w/o a way to do a screen capture, I couldn't save or share the expanded picture.

Being on a free trial, I didn't purchase anything like a protective case. I did find the screen to be super sensitive as I continually & accidentally hit apps/widgets I didn't realize I had touched. This only drove me a little crazy, but it was easy enough to hit the home or back button if needed.

I liked a lot of things about the Evo. I never did get totally comfortable, though, w/the operating system. I know you can do basically anything webOS can do, but it wasn't nearly as intuitive for me & a number of things seemed to take an extra step or two. Not anything I couldn't get used to, but it just didn't seem as efficient or as fluid to me.

Radio Shack was not happy I brought back the phone, but Sprint did a wonderful job of canceling the phone line, refunding the charges (RS refunded the cost of the phone)--Sprint refund everything else: the activation fee, the extra line, the 4G $10 charge, etc. So kudos to Sprint for the Customer Service.

I hope HP comes through or communicates a great vision for webOS; otherwise, I may be back to Android and either the Evo or the Epic.
    Screen Shot It works without rooting the Evo.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Screen Shot It works without rooting the Evo.

Sent from my eVo
    As does ShootMe. No rooting needed.
    I really really really miss being able to pair a bluetooth device in the drop down menu in WebOS.
    That's one thing I've never tried on the Evo, yet. I got a headset with it, but haven't even opened the package.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by corolla90 View Post
    Well, folks ... today, January 18, 2011, I'm back to my Pre after having returned the EVO Shift 4G. You ask why? Well, it's simple. I missed webOS. I love the gestures, I love the cards. I just love webOS. Call me a believer in what it is, but more so in what it could and can be. Maybe I'm drinking Kool-Aid, but I feel like I was there from the get-go of webOS, and I want to see it through. HP purchased Palm, so I want to see what the future will look like for webOS smartphones under HP's control. Plus, I obviously know about the Feb 9 event, and Sprint's Feb. 7 announcement, so I had to go back to the Pre (and keep my upgrade in tact) for at least 3 more weeks, no?

With Android, I hated how multi-tasking worked. I know, I know, it's not that big of a deal, but for as fast as Android and the EVO phones operate, it seemed forever to me to have to hold down the home button in order to pull up the most recent 8 apps (Martias Duarte mentioned this in a recent CES interview, and I'm sure Android make it speedier to see most recent apps). I missed the cards, how it easy it just is to to flip between apps, to close them, etc. It's true, you go from one app to another in Android, and you totally forget that you had the other open. I know that Android does a great job of hybernating and shutting down apps automatically, but there's really something about cards being open and knowing which apps you have open.

Well fellas, I'm a webOS believer and, naive or not, I'm going to hold out for the next webOS phone on Sprint. Who the hell knows when that'll be. But I saw that you can buy the OEM Pre batteries for like $3 on Amazon, so I'll get me an extra battery, and I'll get me headphones with a mic for the phone calls. :-)

The near month with Android was an education, and I'm glad I did it. I'm a big believer in knowing and understanding the competition, so it was great to see that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, at least not for me. My wishes for webOS includes:

visual voicemail
    better Google Maps application
    better spell-checker and text prediction (for physical keyboard and on-screen)
    an onscreen keyboard
    faster application launch
    faster phone boot time
    webOS on a bigger screen (3.7" would be ideal)
    pattern security lock
    more APIs and applications to go with it (the good ones)
    bigger battery and better battery management, i.e., more efficient processing
    threaded messaging in Gmail

There's more, but can't think of them right now. And I was initially planning to do a more in-depth analysis of both operating systems comparitively, but I'm starving. Sorry!

Glad to be back using my Sprint Palm Pre with webOS!
    All those features I want as well. What I would add is not just threaded messaging in Gmail but a better email app. I miss my BlackBerry right now because the email app rocked. And I really want that experience again. But right now, I don't have that (of course, who expects a feature phone to have those features). So hopefully HP excels in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    I really really really miss being able to pair a bluetooth device in the drop down menu in WebOS.
    In webOS, you would

Swipe Menu --> Bluetooth --> Bluetooth Preferences

You don't have to leave your current app.

A few Android options are:

1. Fast: Add the bluetooth settings icon to one of your home pages. Then pairing becomes
      Home --> Swipe to that page --> Bluetooth
      Downside is that you leave your current app to do this even though it's the same number of steps as webOS.
    2. Faster: Install QuickDesk and add the Bluetooth settings icon to the it. Then paring becomes
      Double Tap Home --> Bluetooth
      A step faster than webOS and you never leave your app.
    3. Fastest: Install SwipePad and add the Bluetooth settings icon to it. Then pairing becomes
      Gesture to Bluetooth
      This is equivalent to adding the Bluetooth App to the wave bar in webOS. In both cases, it's a single fluid gesture and you never leave your app.
    4. Hot Damn!: Install Tasker and leave bluetooth on. You can probably setup a task that automatically pops up the Bluetooth settings when a new device is detected. How fast is THAT? I haven't tried this so I'm not sure it it will work but I wouldn't be surprised if it did given all that Tasker can do.

Honestly pairing is something I do once per compatible accessory. After that, it automatically selects the device in range. I currently have two accessories paired and have not gone back into the pairing prefs since.
    Last edited by taharka; 01/21/2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Add info on wave bar webOS option as noted by Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post

Honestly pairing is something I do once per compatible accessory. After that, it automatically selects the device in range. I currently have two accessories paired and have not gone back into the pairing prefs since.
    The problem is I have to switch between bt devices a lot and to do that you have to go into setting. I haven't found a widget that can do what Web's does better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    The problem is I have to switch between bt devices a lot and to do that you have to go into setting. I haven't found a widget that can do what Web's does better.
    Well, I've given you 3 ways to do it (two of which work better than webOS's way of doing it). But my question to you is when you say you "switch between bt devices a lot", are you saying you have a handfull of devices and you switch among them or is it that you are constantly getting new bt devices (that have never been paired with your phone)?

I ask because if you are indeed simply switching among a set of devices, you shouldn't have to keep pairing them. You pair them once and your device should automatically switch to on or the other much like how your WIFI works when you tell it to remember multiple networks.

If you are constantly adding new bt devices, then I recommend the SwipePad solution which is a single gesture and carries no battery impact like the Tasker solution probably would.
    I do have to keep pairing them because they are in the same room. The phone automatically pairs with the last device, so I have to un-pair it and pair the new device. Look, you obviously prefer Android, I don't, can we not just agree to disagree?
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I have an evo for the moment and I have to say I pretty much agree with everything you had to say. I so want my pre back but I'm sick of waiting on HPalm. Good thing is I gave my pre to my daughter so still keep it close. Can't wait to see 2point whatever running on my trusty x pre.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast