1.    #1  
    Well, for those which think that the PrPrPr&#$275$; $2$ $isn$'$t$ $quite$ $fast$ $enough$ $I$'$m$ $fairly$ $sure$ $that$ $our$ $developers$ $can$ $over$ $clock$ $the$ $processor$ $to$ $let$'$s$ $say$... $1$.$21ghz$ $For$ $bragging$ $rights$ $if$ $The$ $interest$ $is$ $there$, $but$ $I$ $seriously$ $doubt$ $that$ $that$ $number$ $would$ $be$ $large$.
    Motorola already tried this with the Droid Global or "3" as they called it internally. And that was about how many they sold, 3.

The Torch was supposed to be $300 retail. A few months later they are at $49.

In a couple months this will be $49 too... once all the old guys upgrade.

Grandpa, look, they have a new phone for you!
    This is just Intel several years ago. All this clock frequency race is just slowly turning into a <<moderator deleted>> contest...

It's not just the clock frequency, guys.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/14/2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: vulgarity removed
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    My Sprint Pre runs at 1.2...
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    Well, for those which think that the PrPrPr&#$275$; $2$ $isn$'$t$ $quite$ $fast$ $enough$ $I$'$m$ $fairly$ $sure$ $that$ $our$ $developers$ $can$ $over$ $clock$ $the$ $processor$ $to$ $let$'$s$ $say$... $1$.$21ghz$ $For$ $bragging$ $rights$ $if$ $The$ $interest$ $is$ $there$, $but$ $I$ $seriously$ $doubt$ $that$ $that$ $number$ $would$ $be$ $large$.
    SR71 is already available, but relatively few phones can run it stable, and it reduces battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    ...It's not just the clock frequency, guys.
    You are right. In fairness to BlackBerry, they "optimize" their code for their apps into "native" code. webOS re-interprets the program every time and converts it into native code on the fly. With all things being the same, the compiled code will always be faster than interpreted.

Think of it this way. Say you want to serve a cake. The Compiler makes the cake ahead of time and stores it for when you are ready. The Interpreter waits until the guests ask for cake and then makes it on the fly.

That is a big part of the reason that in our tests last fall the 624 MHz Torch was so much faster than even 1.2 GHz Pre's:
    http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...our-phone.html

There are all kinds of chip speed tests but that does not tell much. Users only care how fast their apps open and how fast they can do stuff.

Before you can test how fast an app is, you need to have it to begin with. BlackBerry only has 10,000 apps and is missing many of the most popular.

The specs that do count are display. The Torch is 320x480 and 3.2". For other vendors, that is the entry level free phone. The Torch 2 is to be 640x480 when it comes out this fall with a 5 MP camera. That will define the entry level free phone this fall.

BlackBerry still thinks of a phone as a phone and that is true for their over 50 market. For everyone under 40, their phones never ring.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/14/2011 at 09:51 AM.
    Yeah, I know but reading the below post may give you a little insight into the world of processors. (sorry it was aimed at Targon's post)