Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I've been a Palm Pre lover from day one but broke down last Friday and bought the HTC EVO Shift 4G from Radio Shack. For what it's worth, below are my thoughts on Android and the HTC. In short, I'm thinking I'm going to return the EVO Shift and see what else comes down the road.

HTC Evo Shift 4G
    • Build quality seems very good
    • Size is perfect. Not too big. Not too small.
    • Keyboard is good. It's a bit difficult to reach the A key and the space bar with my left thumb, but otherwise I like it. Some reviewers didn't care about the D-pad but I like that too. It's great for selecting text for copy/paste. It's also good for moving between fields on a web form.
    • Screen is very good. No complaints.
    • Performance is great. Not the slightest bit of hesitation anywhere.
    • 4G was nice when the Internet was down at our house. When thethered to my laptop, speed was faster than we normally get with our DSL.

Hardware Beefs
    • I miss my touchstone. Plugging a cord in all the time is a pain. Worse, the cord sticks out the left side of the phone so in the car, the cord wraps onto my knee instead of innocuously away from me. The phone looks like it's on life support at my desk with the power cord coming out the side and the audio cord sticking out the top.
    • I'm fine with a 5 megapixel camera, but the pictures aren't stunning. Most look pretty noisy. That just may be the state of smartphone cameras these days.
    • The hard buttons are too bright when working with the phone at night.

Android
    • Market is good. Plenty of apps to choose from. Frankly, it's overwhelming. There are dozens of about ever app you can think of.
    • Vlingo is the coolest app I found. You can drive the entire phone with voice commands like "text Chris I'm on my way" and "open Pandora."

Android Beefs
    • Something as common as calling my wife or texting my son isn't simple. I still unlock the phone and have to stare at it for a second and think about how to do it. I haven't found a decent app for dialing OR texting my favorite set of contacts like "Phone Favorites" on my Palm. They've got nice picture dial widgets, but those don't give you the option of texting the person instead of calling them.
    • You know how you hate to reboot your computer because you first have to save everything and then after rebooting you have to try and remember what you were working on? I have that feeling all the time with Android. Imagine trying to use Windows with only a start menu but no task bar. You're working with one application at a time and essentially relaunching apps to get back to them. The really aggravating thing is that the phone is constantly enticing you to hop over to other apps, like when the phone rings or you get a text or email, or when a weather alert comes in, or an app is updated. If you follow any of those notifications, it's hard to go back to what you were doing. All you can do is relaunch the app from the home screen or recent apps list. In some cases, jumping away from an app causes you to lose data. For example, if you're editing a note in Evernote and you hop away for a second to read an email without remembering to save first, when you restart Evernote, the edits you had made before the interruption are lost.
    • There are lots of apps and widgets in the Market but it's generally not possible to customize the behavior of the phone to make it more comfortable. Admitedly, this is true of most phones, but coming from the Palm Pre where the motto is "there's a patch for that," I feel with Android like I'm wearing an expensive suit that doesn't quite fit right. For example, with the Palm, I could customize the menu that's available from the top right of the screen at all times to have items that are important to me. For example, brightness control, bluetooth selection, wifi selection, flashlight on/off. With Android, these require stopping what you're doing and going to the home screen and then pressing the menu button, choosing Settings, scrolling to the appropriate setting, making the adjustment, and then relaunching the app you were in.
    • At work, I dial into conference calls from meeting invites in my calendar all day. Android doesn't make this everyday task easy. Generally, I have to jot the passcode down on a piece of paper in order to remember it. Clicking the phone number will dial the number but in the dialer you can no longer see the passcode for the meeting. Even if you tediously navigate back to the calendar entry after dialing, you can't click on the passcode and have the phone dial it for you.
    • Clicking radio station URLs that worked fine on my Palm Pre don't play under Android.
    • There are many other things that are awkward and without the community of patchers out there, there's little hope that they will get fixed the way I might like it. One example is when the phone is paired to a bluetooth headset. If the phone rings or you're on a call, it's a pain to switch to the phone or speakerphone.

In summary, I had assumed that I would be just as happy with the HTC and Android after a little getting used to it. In fact, the WebOS is truly a lot smoother and more comfortable to use on a daily basis.
    You don't have the HTC people widgets? They can be set for whatever your preferred method of contact is for a person.

Sent from my eVo, via Llazy Llama Llinguistics™
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    also, if you use a different launcher (like adw), you can have wifi, gps, data, etc options in the notification menu. Another option is to just place the power control widget on your home screen. If you don't like having to go back to the home screen and want to keep the htc sense launcher, then download quickdesk and put the power control widget on that. It's like an extra home screen that you can get to anywhere by double tapping the home button. If you have questions, feel free to pm me.
    Wish Sprint would come out with some nice powerful non-wimax android phones, even if they charge me the $10 premium data fee. Its for the 3G, not the 4G anyways, but then they would have to go on damage control.

I feel that sprint is really limiting themselves by not having any powerful non-wimax phone. hint hint....not offering the 1ghz Pre2. It seems that they need it to have wimax to justify the $10 add on fee, even though it is for the increase in 3G data usage of these superphones.

(I would rather pay $10 extra for a high powered 3G phone on sprint, than verizon and att tiered data plans for any phone, which was obviously their reaction to these superphones.)

EVO shift is an mid-grade android phone, better than the abundance of low-end android phones sprint has but not close to the caliber of the EVO and EPIC. I think it is stupid that sprint called it the EVO Shift because it downgraded the EVO name, just like when blackberry downgraded the BOLD name by calling the tour 2 (BB 9650) the BOLD as well.

even if sprint doesnt wan't to release any non 4G super phone, than at least give us some more 4G super phones, didnt see any at CES hope for some at MWC and CTIA.

While the epic is nice many don't want slide out qwerty, and the EVO is kinda to big. A nice slab with a screen 3.7"-4.0" would be really nice but they dont have it.....

p.
    The thing that drives me absolutely crazy in Android is if I have more than 8 apps open, then I can't access them all. And I can't close apps to reduce the amount of apps recently opened!!!!!

I work in at least a dozen apps in a day, and switching between them has become such a major pain.

There are things I like about Android, but I can't wait to get back to opening and closing cards.

Oh and could someone please port Dr. Podder into Android. PLEASE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post

EVO shift is an mid-grade android phone, better than the abundance of low-end android phones sprint has but not close to the caliber of the EVO and EPIC.
    The Evo shift is at least the equal of those two phones, with the exception of lacking a front facing camera and a screen over 4 inches. The CPU and GPU are both better than what the original Evo has. The cpu may be running at a lower clock speed, but it's actually better, just a different architecture. The shift has much better benchmarks scores than the Evo out of the box. I have the original Evo, but you are simply wrong about the shift.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-shift-4g-review
    You can close apps. It's easy, menu, settings, applications, manage.

Sent from my eVo
    I love my EVO Shift 4g. The hardware on the phone is phenomenal. The slider on the phone is solid, and I like the fact that the slider isn't spring loaded. The screen is the perfect size for me ( though i would prefer 3.7 instead of 3.6 inch). The keyboard is good even though I rarely use it. The camera is excellent and the HD camcorder is good also. The sound quality while recording not so much.

I love android. I love the feel of it. I love the widgets and the crazy amounts of apps the market has. I came from a Hero and stock, it was a bit laggy. But when I rooted it and installed vanilla android 2.2.1 it was quick with very little lag. This phone even with Sense on it is lightning fast. I haven't had a slow down yet, and I haven't even rooted it yet. Because I am a person that likes to tinker with their phones, I plan on rooting and installing Vanilla Android on the device. I like Sense but I would rather have the stock experience. I would recommend this phone to anyone who is looking to use their upgrade.

Also people this phone is not the successor to the EVO. It's just another phone branded with the EVO name (Think Droid). Don't get confused with the 800 mhz processor. It is newer than the OG EVOs and more efficient than its.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    The Evo shift is at least the equal of those two phones, with the exception of lacking a front facing camera and a screen over 4 inches. The CPU and GPU are both better than what the original Evo has. The cpu may be running at a lower clock speed, but it's actually better, just a different architecture. The shift has much better benchmarks scores than the Evo out of the box. I have the original Evo, but you are simply wrong about the shift.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-shift-4g-review
    I stand corrected on the EVO SHIFT it is more powerful than i thought, just wish the screen was a tad bigger 3.7"-3.9" lot of dead space on bottom, and wish they would get rid of those circles around the capacitive buttons on the bottom.

however if I was getting a horizantal qwerty I would go with the epic over shift, even though I like sense better.

But i still want a Slab android that is smaller than evo, why can't there be a regular samsung galaxy s phone on sprint like the verizon fascinate as well as the epic. that would give a slab and slider option for both evo and epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptosto View Post
    Android Beefs
    • Something as common as calling my wife or texting my son isn't simple. I still unlock the phone and have to stare at it for a second and think about how to do it. I haven't found a decent app for dialing OR texting my favorite set of contacts like "Phone Favorites" on my Palm. They've got nice picture dial widgets, but those don't give you the option of texting the person instead of calling them.
      You can set it so the people widget goes to the persons card where you can then text or make a phone call. You can also make shortcuts of your favorite contacts on any home screen.
    • You know how you hate to reboot your computer because you first have to save everything and then after rebooting you have to try and remember what you were working on? I have that feeling all the time with Android. Imagine trying to use Windows with only a start menu but no task bar. You're working with one application at a time and essentially relaunching apps to get back to them. The really aggravating thing is that the phone is constantly enticing you to hop over to other apps, like when the phone rings or you get a text or email, or when a weather alert comes in, or an app is updated. If you follow any of those notifications, it's hard to go back to what you were doing. All you can do is relaunch the app from the home screen or recent apps list. In some cases, jumping away from an app causes you to lose data. For example, if you're editing a note in Evernote and you hop away for a second to read an email without remembering to save first, when you restart Evernote, the edits you had made before the interruption are lost.
      If you are in a program and get a notification and go to whatever program caused the notification...once you are done, just hit the back button and you will be taken back to the previous app. Android keeps an order of open apps if you don't go back to the home screen. So answer your text message, hit send, then hit back (you may have to do it twice if the app you are in has a default screen) and you are back in your previous app.
    • There are lots of apps and widgets in the Market but it's generally not possible to customize the behavior of the phone to make it more comfortable. Admitedly, this is true of most phones, but coming from the Palm Pre where the motto is "there's a patch for that," I feel with Android like I'm wearing an expensive suit that doesn't quite fit right. For example, with the Palm, I could customize the menu that's available from the top right of the screen at all times to have items that are important to me. For example, brightness control, bluetooth selection, wifi selection, flashlight on/off. With Android, these require stopping what you're doing and going to the home screen and then pressing the menu button, choosing Settings, scrolling to the appropriate setting, making the adjustment, and then relaunching the app you were in.
      People answered this one....get launcher pro and you can find things to customize. Look at my notification bar:

• At work, I dial into conference calls from meeting invites in my calendar all day. Android doesn't make this everyday task easy. Generally, I have to jot the passcode down on a piece of paper in order to remember it. Clicking the phone number will dial the number but in the dialer you can no longer see the passcode for the meeting. Even if you tediously navigate back to the calendar entry after dialing, you can't click on the passcode and have the phone dial it for you.
      lol wut? Just long press the Home button and pick the calender and get it. I agree, they should allow paste functions in it, but meh, you can memorize.
    • Clicking radio station URLs that worked fine on my Palm Pre don't play under Android.
      Not sure what you mean here.
    • There are many other things that are awkward and without the community of patchers out there, there's little hope that they will get fixed the way I might like it. One example is when the phone is paired to a bluetooth headset. If the phone rings or you're on a call, it's a pain to switch to the phone or speakerphone.
      Don't use blue tooth so can't comment here.

In summary, I had assumed that I would be just as happy with the HTC and Android after a little getting used to it. In fact, the WebOS is truly a lot smoother and more comfortable to use on a daily basis.
    Answers and tips above.

people want to complain about android before actually learning to use it.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    I stand corrected on the EVO SHIFT it is more powerful than i thought, just wish the screen was a tad bigger 3.7"-3.9" lot of dead space on bottom, and wish they would get rid of those circles around the capacitive buttons on the bottom.

however if I was getting a horizantal qwerty I would go with the epic over shift, even though I like sense better.

But i still want a Slab android that is smaller than evo, why can't there be a regular samsung galaxy s phone on sprint like the verizon fascinate as well as the epic. that would give a slab and slider option for both evo and epic.
    Avoid Samsung at all cost! lol .. But I'm serious avoid them...
    IThere are lots of apps and widgets in the Market but it's generally not possible to customize the behavior of the phone to make it more comfortable. Admitedly, this is true of most phones, but coming from the Palm Pre where the motto is "there's a patch for that," I feel with Android like I'm wearing an expensive suit that doesn't quite fit right.
    I don't buy this at all. There's either an app or setting for that in android, patches need not apply. You're comparing ~18 months use of one OS to ~7 days use of another and claiming the one that you don't know how to use is harder. Interesting.

For example, with the Palm, I could customize the menu that's available from the top right of the screen at all times to have items that are important to me. For example, brightness control, bluetooth selection, wifi selection, flashlight on/off. With Android, these require stopping what you're doing and going to the home screen and then pressing the menu button, choosing Settings, scrolling to the appropriate setting, making the adjustment, and then relaunching the app you were in.
    With QuickDesk installed, I can double tap the home button from anyplace and get a page full of anything I want. It slides up and over your current app like a curtain and slides away when you're done with it. On there I have all my radio controls (wifi, bluetooth, etc.), flashlight, and quite a few other things that are a simple tap away.

If I used webOS for a week without patching and then say that it is not functional, you would accuse me of not really trying it. Same goes for your "use" of Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    You can close apps. It's easy, menu, settings, applications, manage.

Sent from my eVo
    You have GOT to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's easy?!!! That's not what I call easy.
    Well, it's certainly not hard to do.

Sent from my eVo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    You have GOT to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's easy?!!! That's not what I call easy.
    No its not easy, but the point is you don't have to close apps.

Apps you do have to close are very easy as most have a quit function built in. Games for instance, if you are on the main screen and press "back" most will pop a confirmation button to exit the app.

My twitter app has a quit button as well.

But again, Android does a great job of managing memory and automatically closing out unused apps you don't have to worry about it unless you are using a ****ty app.
    Well, it's certainly not hard to do.

Sent from my eVo
    not as nice as flipping a card of the top of the screen though.
    I guess it's a tradeoff between having an elegant way of closing an app and actually having apps to run.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I guess it's a tradeoff between having an elegant way of closing an app and actually having apps to run.
    LOL. The tradeoff is between having an elegant way to close apps and not having to close apps at all.
    It's just a different system, which works in a different way.

Sent from my eVo
    It's not just different. It's WORSE. It takes too many steps and it's not intuitive.
    There's no trade-off between a comprehensive tool and a toy.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast