Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    LOL. The tradeoff is between having an elegant way to close apps and not having to close apps at all.
    YES YOU DO HAVE TO CLOSE APPS IN ANDROID!!!!!!!!!! Yes there are times when you have to close an app. Yes there are times when you have to quickly access an app that you opened and you CAN'T because you have more than 8 apps in the app switcher. Multitasking is not better than WebOS and the sooner I can ditch Android and get a WebOS device with some great hardware THE BETTER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Answers and tips above.

people want to complain about android before actually learning to use it.

Good luck.
    People do that all the time, because when you haven't figured out how to efficiently use a new gadget, it's frustrating as all get out. There are hundreds of threads about how to do easy stuff on the Pre, too.

Anyhow, thanks, everyone, for this thread. It's exactly what I'm looking for. I am frustrated with the lagginess of my Pre, especially when I click on an email and thenhave to wait several seconds, or longer, for it to actually open up. I am jealous of the rich app stores over in Android and iPhone land. I am waiting until Feb 9th to see if there will be a Pre worth upgrading to on Sprint, but I am starting to shop, now, and the Evo Shift is near the top of my list.

I appreciate it that you ex Pre users are sticking around to help the rest of us. (Both the ones who like their new phones and those who don't. You both add value.)
    Look, if your looking for a new phone, you may as well wait the couple of weeks to see what HP has in store, then make your decision. But then get the phone that's right for you, whatever the platform.

If you want a phone that's fast, looks flashy, has great hardware, but has a truly crappy UI, with an app store full of hundreds of thousands of utter garbage, terrible notification system, with some apps that might have malware, and a horrible fragmentation problem that leaves you with apps that might not work on your phone, and games that have to save on a slower sd card because the internal memory is abysmally low, then hey, COME ON OVER TO ANDROID TOWN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Look, if your looking for a new phone, you may as well wait the couple of weeks to see what HP has in store, then make your decision. But then get the phone that's right for you, whatever the platform.

If you want a phone that's fast, looks flashy, has great hardware, but has a truly crappy UI, with an app store full of hundreds of thousands of utter garbage, terrible notification system, with some apps that might have malware, and a horrible fragmentation problem that leaves you with apps that might not work on your phone, and games that have to save on a slower sd card because the internal memory is abysmally low, then hey, COME ON OVER TO ANDROID TOWN.
    Even if your going to android town there is no reason to go right now unless your phone finally bit it. Duel cores and revolutionary devices are around the corner.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    The AV8B experimental kernel eliminates all lag issues that I have encountered, and is even better than F105. The reason it is considered "experimental" is because it is still evolving, and new versions may cause problems, with the potential that your phone may not be able to handle it properly.

With that said, there is UberKernel, which will let you clock your Pre or Pre Plus up to 1GHz, but then there are kernels that are still being used to push the edges of what the WebOS devices can do. Running 1.005GHz all the time just makes AV8B feel more responsive. Experimental kernels are for those who MUST be ready to use the WebOS Doctor to wipe your phone and set it back to the original setup, but once you find a kernel that your phone handles well, you just can't go back.

Remember, there are risks to overclocking, but for most people, hitting 1GHz is perfectly stable, and the only problem is that battery life is reduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    People do that all the time, because when you haven't figured out how to efficiently use a new gadget, it's frustrating as all get out. There are hundreds of threads about how to do easy stuff on the Pre, too.

Anyhow, thanks, everyone, for this thread. It's exactly what I'm looking for. I am frustrated with the lagginess of my Pre, especially when I click on an email and thenhave to wait several seconds, or longer, for it to actually open up. I am jealous of the rich app stores over in Android and iPhone land. I am waiting until Feb 9th to see if there will be a Pre worth upgrading to on Sprint, but I am starting to shop, now, and the Evo Shift is near the top of my list.

I appreciate it that you ex Pre users are sticking around to help the rest of us. (Both the ones who like their new phones and those who don't. You both add value.)
    It's true, and I loved my overclocked Pre. The Pre is a 2009 phone. It was really great for 2009. But you shouldn't have to overclock in 2011.

I'm really REALLY looking forward to what HP has in store for WebOS.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    This thread is funny.

There sure seem to be a lot of Android users on PreCentral, and don't get me wrong I'm not saying there is anything that is wrong with that.. shoot I'm one too.

For what it's worth after about a month and a half of owning my Evo there are definately things that I miss about my Pre, and things that I feel that Android does much better. All the same though if HP/Palm steps it up and starts releasing devices comprable in specs to the newer Android devices (which will hopefully attract some developer attention and grow the market) I will definately go back to Palm.

Right now there is just no comparison between the much higher quality of hardware avaliable for Android devices and the sheer number of usefull apps avaliable.

Still if it was not for the fact that my Pre was broken I never would have gotten an Android phone at all, but I just could not see my self burning my upgrade on a 18 month old phone especially knowing that there was a good chance that the replacement would probably suffer the same exact problems. I just basically waited out my contract and when the upgrade was avaliable I took it. I have been saying for a long time if Palm were to release or announce something before I was due for an upgrade I would be happy to stick around but since they did not...

All the same I am very excited to see what they release next month. My wife still has her Pixi and is eligible for an upgrade already. We are on the fence with her too but I have decided to at least wait untill next month to see if she is going to be getting a new Palm phone or an Evo Shift.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    You're comparing ~18 months use of one OS to ~7 days use of another and claiming the one that you don't know how to use is harder. Interesting.
    I could not agree with this statement more. After ~7 days with a Pre there were many people that were equally as lost with the power of the device.

Don't believe me? Read the webOS 101 tips articles and look at home many of the comments say "Wow, I've been using my Pre since launch day and I never knew you could do that!!!!!".

Every platform has its advantages and disadvantages, it is a very individual choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboy182 View Post
    There sure seem to be a lot of Android users on PreCentral, and don't get me wrong I'm not saying there is anything that is wrong with that.. shoot I'm one too.
    Yup, just like there are a lot of webOS users on AndroidCentral.

I still have my Pre. Most likely won't for too much longer -- think I am going to give Android a try for a year. But, after that year I will very well may come back to webOS -- so for that year, I will be hanging around here too.

I also think most of the Android users here are former webOS users and they are here to dispel the myths that many people like to spread about Android.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    The thing that drives me absolutely crazy in Android is if I have more than 8 apps open, then I can't access them all. And I can't close apps to reduce the amount of apps recently opened!!!!!

I work in at least a dozen apps in a day, and switching between them has become such a major pain.

There are things I like about Android, but I can't wait to get back to opening and closing cards.

Oh and could someone please port Dr. Podder into Android. PLEASE.
    When palm gets a decent smartphone I'm coming back, ill go into detail later but webs is much smoother to use on a daily basics.

And Dr pooder is better any than android podcast app.

And I miss my hardware keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    . . . Experimental kernels are for those who MUST be ready to use the WebOS Doctor to wipe your phone and set it back to the original setup . . .
    the only problem is that battery life is reduced.
    Well, since I prefer not to put myself in a situation where I have to doctor the phone, and since I'm already running the fat battery, and getting much less than 2 days of juice from it (and less than a full day from the battery I could use with the touchstone, alas) I don't think I'm an ideal candidate for overclocking. I've certainly thought about it. I'm a very happy Preware user. But I've only used things that appeared to carry a low risk of failure.

Nope, I want either a faster Pre on Sprint, or a slick new Android on Sprint. And I'm not willing to wait too many more months for the Pre. I expect I will make a decision in early February, as I expect may others will, too. In the meantime, I am really appreciative of threads like this one.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Yup, just like there are a lot of webOS users on AndroidCentral.

I still have my Pre. Most likely won't for too much longer -- think I am going to give Android a try for a year. But, after that year I will very well may come back to webOS -- so for that year, I will be hanging around here too.

I also think most of the Android users here are former webOS users and they are here to dispel the myths that many people like to spread about Android.
    Trust me you will not regret getting an Android phone but just a word of advice go with an HTC phone. The Samsung phones are alright but suffer from some of the same build quality issues that the Pre originally did. Not to mention while most people are looking forward to Gingerbread the Galaxy S phone users are still waiting to upgrade to Froyo (unless you want to Root and boot a custom rom.. bla bla bla).

You will probably miss your Pre after a while if for nothing else but for the simple intuitive elagance of WebOS verses Android. Don't get me wrong Android is a Powerhouse of an OS but it is just not as clean, simple, and straightforward as WebOS. Like, yes you can multitask on Android... but I stil miss my cards.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    When palm gets a decent smartphone I'm coming back, ill go into detail later but webs is much smoother to use on a daily basics.

And Dr pooder is better any than android podcast app.

And I miss my hardware keyboard.
    I got a Droid Pro and I have to say, having the larger keys is really nice. It's kind of like a large, supercharged Pixi with huge keys. I'm willing to try a phone without a hardware keyboard, but I'm scared. I type so much, every day, and I don't want to get stuck with a text input experience that I despise.

And I'm astonished how much I miss the touchstone. I really do. Another reason why I know I'll be back with WebOS the moment I can.
    Hey OP: If you dont like the favorite photo buttons for calling, pick up Takephone and set it as the default dailer. Its just like the old Takephone we had for PalmOS. You have photo buttons and a great search function. I have mine set up so a quick tap places the phone call but pressing and holding brings up the menu for sms. The widget even shows the last number you dialed. Download it straight from shsh.com and you get a full 30 day free trial.

The way I have my evo set up is on my main homescreen is I have the key apps I use all the time: My browser (get Dolphin HD), Gmail, Vlingo (so cool), SprintNav, voice search (love it for google searches, have not typed in my car since started using it), SMS, Camera. Then one swipe left and I have widget-switches for brightness, system volume. mobile data, wifi, airplane mode, gps, and 4G. That takes up half the screen and the other half has the HTC big photo dialer favorites. Its actually a lot easier to adjust brightness and turn radios on and off than the Pre set up even with the great menu patches.

Next page left is a great calendar replacement I found that actually has (tiny word) enteries in month view instead of just green bars and with one tap I have a real agenda view. Last page left is mostly blank right now. using it to try out new widgets and shortcuts to see if I like and/or will really use them.

One swipe right from my home screen are the folders (yes folders!) I have set up for all my apps. With this I never have to open up the Drawer. You can also pull up apps by just typing but, frankly, I have so many installed at this point I don't always remember all of their names so going to, for example, the "game" folder pops up al the games I have loaded, etc. Next swipe right is all of my internet bookmarks, then last is a screen with a full screen photo album right there so I dont have to open anything up to show people the really nice photos I have been taking with the Evo.

Oh yes, I have removed the lock-screen! so I go straight to my homepage when hit the power button, that alone makes my Evo more pleasant to use.

Agree about the touchstone, boy I do miss that thing even though my Evo Classic at least has the plug at the bottom where it should be. And there is no doubt that webOS is just simply more elegent in many ways than Android. webOS is simply what we used to call in my (very very) old programming days "beautiful code." Don't miss the small Pre screen. It is very lovely, but just not big enough for me now. Palm missed the boat on not realizing how important bigger screens would be for so many (not all, but very many) people.

What is sad (to this point -- have high hopes for Feb) is thinking what Palm could have been with a bit better timing, better marketing, better quality hardware and some more resources. Had Palm been able to get multiple form factors on multiple carriers before the Droid (and had ads other than the creepy lady) it would have been a whole different ballgame. Pre just hit 100,000,000 downloads -- Android hit over a Billion this past July...
    Last edited by midmofan; 01/14/2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboy182 View Post
    You will probably miss your Pre after a while if for nothing else but for the simple intuitive elagance of WebOS verses Android. Don't get me wrong Android is a Powerhouse of an OS but it is just not as clean, simple, and straightforward as WebOS. Like, yes you can multitask on Android... but I stil miss my cards.
    I was also really surprised that the battery life was about the same as my overclocked Pre. My first few days of having my Droid Pro I had everything dialed up to 11. Screen brightness, moving wallpapers, always getting data, you name it. I wanted to see what the battery life would be like when it's maxed out. I went from 8 am to around 2 pm with a full charge. Fine. I dialed things back, to medium. I went from 8 am to 3:30. That's not a lot better than what I could get on my overclocked Pre.

Granted, I use my phone a ton. I know I'm not the average user, and having the Pre got me used to getting extended batteries that I keep charged so I'm cool with that, but I was really hoping to get through the day at least.

I don't complain about it, cause I work with some heavy duty smart phone users (iPhone and Android) who have to charge their phones mid day on occasion, (everyone except for the freaking Blackberry users who are so darn smug about it!!!) so these things happen. But I was looking forward to something different. Ah well.

On a serious note though.

I've never had to use my phone to juggle 6 different cards at the same time (my Pre or Evo).

Max is probably:
    Music app (either pandora, music player, podcast player etc.)
    Text message
    Email
    Browser.

Generally thats the ones i bounce between so the android use of switching is fine. The visual metaphor is more appealing to look at and at times, can be more desired depending on what exactly you are working in but i've transitioned to android very nicely.

I also have never had to go into my settings and manually close an app. I'm sure some may out of paranoia or from a poorly coded app...but yeah, i don't' worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Even if your going to android town there is no reason to go right now unless your phone finally bit it. Duel cores and revolutionary devices are around the corner.
    The thing about Androids is that their shelf-life is short. Every few months the next round of phones comes out that are stunningly better. By the time your next upgrade comes in a year, you will be two generations down the road.

If you wait until the latest round of leaked and announced phones comes out, you will never buy a phone.

We have had no official statements or interviews from HP or Palm about new products in nearly a year. We got a twitter post from a guy who is now gone saying that several new devices were coming within a year. That's it. HP uses Mushroom Marketing: Keep them in the dark and feed them...the stuff mushrooms like.

Last week there were 43 New Phones and Tablets Announced So Far In January 2011. 38 of the 43 were Android.

The average webOS fan can probably name a list of the new Android phones coming out. Google knows how to keep us always talking Android. They have leaks coming from everywhere. The best come from Russia. the blogs, Facebook, Twitter are constantly lit up with the constant roar.

They say that Microsoft spent a billion dollars marketing WM7. Google has not spent a dime on Honeycomb. Not one ad. But what did everyone talk about at CES? What was the top CES product? The Honeycomb Xoom and Honeycomb isn't even announced yet.

Trying to keep up with Android is like drinking water from a fire hose.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The thing about Androids is that their shelf-life is short. Every few months the next round of phones comes out that are stunningly better. By the time your next upgrade comes in a year, you will be two generations down the road.

If you wait until the latest round of leaked and announced phones comes out, you will never buy a phone.

We have had no official statements or interviews from HP or Palm about new products in nearly a year. We got a twitter post from a guy who is now gone saying that several new devices were coming within a year. That's it. HP uses Mushroom Marketing: Keep them in the dark and feed them...the stuff mushrooms like.

Last week there were 43 New Phones and Tablets Announced So Far In January 2011. 38 of the 43 were Android.

The average webOS fan can probably name a list of the new Android phones coming out. Google knows how to keep us always talking Android. They have leaks coming from everywhere. The best come from Russia. the blogs, Facebook, Twitter are constantly lit up with the constant roar.

They say that Microsoft spent a billion dollars marketing WM7. Google has not spent a dime on Honeycomb. Not one ad. But what did everyone talk about at CES? What was the top CES product? The Honeycomb Xoom and Honeycomb isn't even announced yet.

Trying to keep up with Android is like drinking water from a fire hose.
    The thing that drives me absolutely crazy in Android is if I have more than 8 apps open, then I can't access them all. And I can't close apps to reduce the amount of apps recently opened!!!!!

I work in at least a dozen apps in a day, and switching between them has become such a major pain.

There are things I like about Android, but I can't wait to get back to opening and closing cards.

Oh and could someone please port Dr. Podder into Android. PLEASE.
    If you're not scared to root, you can install Cyanogenmod, which allows up to 16 (or 24, I don't remember) apps on the recent list.

As for the OP, you can do pretty much everything you mistakenly believe that you can't quite easily, you just need to learn the OS.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast