Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Someone back there said that Palm innovated and everyonr else is catching up. Well, near as I can tell, most of the things that make the iPhone great were done by Palm 10 years ago. Palm just didn't do them as well, and didn't keep up with tech progress. Who created the first smatphone? The first touch screen? The first music player on a phone? The first cloud-based backup? The first market for software apps for a phone? The first sync between phone and computer? Heck, even wheb palm started with Folio "fail" they were years ahead. They had all the ideas that made the iPhone great, way earlier, they just didnl't execute well enough. Here's hoping HP can change that.
    By the way I was exaggerating that my pre is barely hanging on. It has a small crack by the usb door, and that's not too bad considering how many times I have dropped it.

I have to admit I have been wondering what to do if sprint doesnt pick up the next devices, I have been with them for more than ten years and dont want to move. But I will if I have to go get the next webos phone
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStory View Post
    Someone back there said that Palm innovated and everyonr else is catching up. Well, near as I can tell, most of the things that make the iPhone great were done by Palm 10 years ago. Palm just didn't do them as well, and didn't keep up with tech progress. Who created the first smatphone? The first touch screen? The first music player on a phone? The first cloud-based backup? The first market for software apps for a phone? The first sync between phone and computer? Heck, even wheb palm started with Folio "fail" they were years ahead. They had all the ideas that made the iPhone great, way earlier, they just didnl't execute well enough. Here's hoping HP can change that.
    l don't know if you can say it was "just" the execution. I mean, that's a pretty big part of the equation of Apple's success...Refinement. Kind of like cards and WebOS notifications. Very refined concepts that still get attention for being brilliant, and deservedly so. They just didn't follow them up with anything else.

So yes...here's to hoping HP will change that.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Back to the topic: I find it interesting that there is a claim that Apple is somehow behind the very OS that tried repeatedly to sync with iTunes. Was that done for "backwards compatibility"? Seems it was done due to a lack of yet another native feature.

There is also the little issue of creating a way to port games from iOS. There sure seem to be a lot of effort to have webOS leverage the ecosystem of a company that is alledged to be so far behind.

Strange universe.
    To be fair, laing and a few others are basing this argument on user interface, and saying that Apple's is so far behind the times, will they ever catch up? And that's a fair question to ask because it is generally accepted that Apple has some major improvements to do in that department (horrible notifications, non-visual multitasking and comparatively laborious task switching - admittedly the new gestures alleviate this somewhat....on the iPad).

However, these are a scant few notches in the "Loss" column, and have no discernible effect whatsoever on its users' satisfaction, the platform's popularity, or its' sales dominance. So it harkens back to the age-old question "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, did it make a sound?" Apparently, these "user interface" trees are dead quiet as far as Apple goes. Meanwhile, a platform that has trumpeted superiority in these areas from day one has done nothing but flounder. So what's the incentive?
    Everyone,

This thread is in the Cross-Platform Chat forum specifically comparing Apple iOS to Palm webOS. This is the purpose of the Cross-Platform Chat.

Last warning for everyone.

If you feel that a post should be deleted, report it. If you feel that a thread or post should be moved, report it.

If you see someone criticize another member, report it. Do not respond to it.

Stop talking about each other. Talk about smartphones, software, and their technology.

The thread has been cleaned up.

Now back to discussing Apple iOS to Palm webOS...
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I have never been jealous of an iphone user. In fact I feel sorry for them, as in you poor thing you think you have the best when in fact you dont know what you are missing
    Who knows what those happy, satisfied iOS users secretly think about you with your 2-year-old technology, ~1% of the market niche phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Who knows what those happy, satisfied iOS users secretly think about you with your 2-year-old technology, ~1% of the market niche phone.
    Of couirse, it's all speculative, but I suspect they think things like:

"I have the phone that started the smartphone revolution"
    and
    "Apple brought multi-tasking to telephones, another first for them"
    and
    "If another so-called "smart" phone doesn't do things exactly the way mine does, then obviously it's not really a smartphone".

But I don't think it's really "secret" thoughts, I think they're pretty vocal about it.

Of course, the things that Palm owners believed were beyond the iPhone, weren't enough to even approach the iPhone in sales. Now, we're hoping that since there's a parent company to put what we think is a superior OS into the game with better marketing, better hardware, and better visibility, the game will change.

We'll find out soon. I suspect that's the reason for his "can't wait for Feb 9th" statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Of couirse, it's all speculative, but I suspect they think things like:

"I have the phone that started the smartphone revolution"
    and
    "Apple brought multi-tasking to telephones, another first for them"
    and
    "If another so-called "smart" phone doesn't do things exactly the way mine does, then obviously it's not really a smartphone".
    The ones that I've spoken with simply think: "Cool, it works."
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    I just spoke to Tim Cook. He has informed me that they have had to postpone catching up. Their progress continues to be blocked as they are stuck behind giant trucks carrying their $26 billion in revenue to the bank. Tim says the future doesn't look bright as they expect there to be even more trucks in the way next quarter. He claims if they don't sort this damn **** out heads will roll.
    Simply unbelievably funny.

Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    Le sigh. My friends see my phone and say to me now "Oh, it's the GOD PHONE" I may be too much of a webOS zealot for my own good. While EPIC sells 300k copies of Infinity Blade on iOS, I sit here... with my palm in my palm, and I sulk... because we can all run that game on our base specs like a 3GS can. Small pond... great OS. Come on HP... you need to market webOS well because it could be like crack if people got a whiff of it.
    I too hope HP backing WebOS will interest some major developers. WebOS is such a great platform. I only hope developers will begin to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStory View Post
    That is so true. Palm needs to learn to execute. They haven't so far. *Raises a glass of wine* Here is to HP. Let their minds guide Palm to greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    l don't know if you can say it was "just" the execution. I mean, that's a pretty big part of the equation of Apple's success...Refinement. Kind of like cards and WebOS notifications. Very refined concepts that still get attention for being brilliant, and deservedly so. They just didn't follow them up with anything else.

So yes...here's to hoping HP will change that.
    That is Apple's greatest strength. Everything they do is refined (in most areas). Although I believe their laptops and computers are best, I do believe their iPhone is *one* of the best smartphones out there. I mean, would we have all these great toy's without them?

And I hope Feb. 9th brings more refinements.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    To be fair, laing and a few others are basing this argument on user interface, and saying that Apple's is so far behind the times, will they ever catch up? And that's a fair question to ask because it is generally accepted that Apple has some major improvements to do in that department (horrible notifications, non-visual multitasking and comparatively laborious task switching - admittedly the new gestures alleviate this somewhat....on the iPad).

However, these are a scant few notches in the "Loss" column, and have no discernible effect whatsoever on its users' satisfaction, the platform's popularity, or its' sales dominance. So it harkens back to the age-old question "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, did it make a sound?" Apparently, these "user interface" trees are dead quiet as far as Apple goes. Meanwhile, a platform that has trumpeted superiority in these areas from day one has done nothing but flounder. So what's the incentive?
    Their notifications are simply horrid, as you stated. I totally forgot about that. It annoys me so much when it interrupts what I am doing. But that is something I think Apple will fix this year. 4.3 will be a big step forward for iPhone and iPod Touch users.

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    The ones that I've spoken with simply think: "Cool, it works."
    Yep, same here.
    ??? You've lost me. My comment was in reaponse to your comment about the point of the OP. I don't think anyone believes his comments affected sales.

If you're talking about the notification feature, I agreek it doesn't seem to have affected sales. None od the iPhone's shortcomings seem to have affected sales.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    People learn to live with faults. When they have everything they need, and there a few mistakes, people do tend to forgive those mistakes. Sorta like with WebOS -- yes, it is great and better then iOS in many different areas. But it lacks in the same number of area's. However, while I believe iOS is going to be getting a remodel soon -- I think WebOS is going to be fixed as well.

I can't wait till Feb. 9th.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    People learn to live with faults. When they have everything they need, and there a few mistakes, people do tend to forgive those mistakes. Sorta like with WebOS -- yes, it is great and better then iOS in many different areas. But it lacks in the same number of area's. However, while I believe iOS is going to be getting a remodel soon -- I think WebOS is going to be fixed as well.

I can't wait till Feb. 9th.
    Agree 100%. I think what owners of one device fail to realize (when they disparage, sometimes to the degree of hope, other devices) is that it's the "other devices" that keep things competitive. We saw that lack of competition to a large degree with both Palm (Treo/PalmOS) and Backberry. It took a new player (iPhone) to shake things up. I'm glad they did. We're reaping the benefits.

Those benefits would largely stop coming if the competition all died off.
    In the tech world, new things only stay new until the other company gets it. Then it spreads like a wildfire and everyone has it and someone else now has to come up with something. I think with Apple's once a year release sets them behind only a bit. But I think they are fine
    I am a bit worried about palm though. I still cant believe they are getting rid of the minicards, I hope they are just working out the details as to how it will work with stacks and it will be back soon.
    Agree 100%. I think what owners of one device fail to realize (when they disparage, sometimes to the degree of hope, other devices) is that it's the "other devices" that keep things competitive. We saw that lack of competition to a large degree with both Palm (Treo/PalmOS) and Backberry. It took a new player (iPhone) to shake things up. I'm glad they did. We're reaping the benefits.

Those benefits would largely stop coming if the competition all died off.
    Yep, and Apple has changed the smart phone for ever. And don't forget about windows mobile. It was stuck in the dark ages forever. Finally WP7 has caught it up with times. But would we have WP7/WebOS w/o Apple?
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    It's not outdated and it will not affect the typical user.

It does exactly what most purchasers expect and want it to do.

Sent from my eVo, via Llazy Llama Llinguistics™
    It works the same way my treo worked, does not mean I would wanna go back to my treo now that I have using webos. So now that I have been using webos I would not wanna use the iphone os.
    In all seriousness people can call IOS whatever they want. The reality is even if it's outdated it doesn't matter. It's good enough. A phone OS doesn't have to be the best. It's like having 19 in blackjack. You don't hit. It's good enough. Trying to win the it's outdated argument is trying to win a battle that doesn't matter. Cause the consumer doesn't care if it's outdated. But pre users want to make them care. Guess what? Tons of people say Android is ugly. The majority of consumers don't care and buy it anyways. And when both Evo and Pre were biggest phones on sprint people bought the EVO. If they are buying off the website they aren't even using the interface first and if they are buying from a store they are sitting side by side and the consumer's picking the other guy. At some point you gotta look at the market and worry about what consumers really do care about. And when you consider that other operating systems have such features as voice search, video chat, a virtual keyboard, and many other things i'd bet you could find plenty of consumers that say webos is outdated. The real issue is providing features and services to your customers.
    Will iPhone's 60 milliion units a year and 300,000 apps ever catch up to webOS?

Think of it like a racetrack. Apple sells 178,000 iPhones a day.

The Pre is discontinued. The Pre 2 is only sold by one carrier in France, with maybe 10,000 units a month?

So Apple catches up to webOS about once an hour.

It is kind of like asking, "When will Toyota catch up to Citeron?"

- Craig
    I think it's more like asking if Michael Phelps will ever catch up with Lance Armstrong, or if Lance will ever catch up with Phelps...

They aren't in the same race, same league, and usually not on the same continent when they are racing. Just sayin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think it's more like asking if Michael Phelps will ever catch up with Lance Armstrong, or if Lance will ever catch up with Phelps...

They aren't in the same race, same league, and usually not on the same continent when they are racing. Just sayin
    I don't think that's right. Apple and Palm (Now HP) both sell smartphones, to the exact same consumer base, in the exact same stores. It's the exact same race on the same continent.
    In three quarters, iPad captured ~7% of the global PC market. iPads Are Already 7% Of Global PC Market
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast