Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Apps will come with more customers.
    after a year and a half that sounds like white noise to me. Get back to me when they get the apps.

I bet there are at least 1m+ ppl in the world today and who can live on the app's WebOS has.
    1m plus is nothing. They got that already.

The Wii is the biggest selling device
    WAS. Xbox 360 is now. Nintendo Wii has had poor sales for a while now.

Most people don't know Palm made WebOS.
    To be fair most people don't know what IOS is.
    Apps will come with more customers. Right now, WebOS is a Palm OS and companies only look at numbers. Once it is HP and if it starts selling millions, then things will change.
    So, which comes first, the egg or the chicken?

I look at this as a catch-22 situation. Developers want a market share, consumers want applications. One has to happen in order for the other to happen. Are the consumers going to come in drones based on good hardware alone? We know webOS wasn't enough to bring them.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

I look at this as a catch-22 situation. Developers want a market share, consumers want applications. One has to happen in order for the other to happen. Are the consumers going to come in drones based on good hardware alone? We know webOS wasn't enough to bring them.
    There will always be core group of users that will buy a device even if there is no sudden influx of apps. Internal applications that are desirable will help as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    There will always be core group of users that will buy a device even if there is no sudden influx of apps. Internal applications that are desirable will help as well.
    But will that core be large enough to influence indie developers and large corporations alike to develop for webOS?
    That small group is not currently big enough to make the Palm products successful.
    But will that core be large enough to influence indie developers and large corporations alike to develop for webOS?
    Guess we'll find out. That's always the question though, and it's never answered until the device(s) come out, and have been out for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    That small group is not currently big enough to make the Palm products successful.
    Are you sure? Keep in mind, we're talking about people that will/might buy the next device with whatever apps are available for it.

I susect that it's still a bit early to start predicing HP/Palm's failure (though it appears many are still doing so).

I say, let's see the products, see how they do, then say whether or not they're succeeding or failing.
    Why are people so quick to assume that HP is NOT courting big name devs , putting together a new incentive program and the like.. On the contrary, everything is pointing to YES THEY ARE !!

Especially since they pushed palm to develop Enyo.. And I believe they actually flat out said this.. But the skeptical and cynical will always choose to be that way.

I'm ready to be proven wrong , but the only way is to see what's lined up, announced and how well they do!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    But the skeptical and cynical will always choose to be that way.
    To be fair the same is true about the eternally hopeful. If you can make such statements with no proof you can hardly fault someone who claims the opposite with the same lack of proof.

I'm skeptical about Palm because of their recent history. Remember, webOS launched withsome pretty good partnerships as well. Some of those didn't quite work out. So can you really fault people for having doubts this time around?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    To be fair the same is true about the eternally hopeful. If you can make such statements with no proof you can hardly fault someone who claims the opposite with the same lack of proof.

I'm skeptical about Palm because of their recent history. Remember, webOS launched withsome pretty good partnerships as well. Some of those didn't quite work out. So can you really fault people for having doubts this time around?
    Like I said .. I don't mind being proven wrong... Although like you said there are those that would mind.

But HP has NO history... Where this about palm I'd be with you on your stance

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Like I said .. I don't mind being proven wrong... Although like you said there are those that would mind.

But HP has NO history... Where this about palm I'd be with you on your stance

HP purchased a bunch of Palm people when they aquired Palm. For better or worse, there is still lots of Palm influence alive and well in PGBU. Had they gotten rid of all the Palm folks I'd agree with you.
    Slightly off-topic, but Steve Jobs is the primary focus of this article about the "truthiness" of CEOs... and how he once dismissed the idea of them ever creating a cell phone or a tablet... To me, it's not about Apple catching up. They are so far ahead that they don't realize there is anyone in the race...

Read Their Lips: Steve Jobs, and Measuring CEO Truthiness
    HP purchased a bunch of Palm people when they aquired Palm. For better or worse, there is still lots of Palm influence alive and well in PGBU. Had they gotten rid of all the Palm folks I'd agree with you.
    But this isn't palms vision anymore, as much as it may have originated like that. Palm can NOT move without HP direction.. Plus there are now an additional 200 HP people in the mix, so this is definitely more HP than palm.

I didn't say it was Palm's vision. I'm not one of those that actually believe Palm is "alive and well". What I said is there is still a lot of Palm "influence" there and people have a right to their doubts given Palm's history. The PGBU is still headed by the person who headed Palm when it died. While many people left, many have stayed. Example: Logging into the developer's portal, I still see many of the same "practices" I've seen before HP got involved (I've seen some changes as well). Again, for better or worse, there is a strong Palm influence there.
    I didn't say it was Palm's vision. I'm not one of those that actually believe Palm is "alive and well". What I said is there is still a lot of Palm "influence" there and people have a right to their doubts given Palm's history. The PGBU is still headed by the person who headed Palm when it died. While many people left, many have stayed. Example: Logging into the developer's portal, I still see many of the same "practices" I've seen before HP got involved (I've seen some changes as well). Again, for better or worse, there is a strong Palm influence there.
    I do believe with the palm branding leaving, that "influence" will dwindle (not creative influenece , rather organizational). But I hear what your saying

I don't see anything to indicate that the Palm name will be dropped from from phones any time this year. As long as they think it adds value, they will keep it. Palm was practically synonymous with PDAs and Smartphones, and I think there is still value in the name. The moment HP decides it doesn't add value, it will disappear. Their website still says HP Palm... and that works for me. They have clearly put the HP brand on webOS and anything else that can be used with other HP products (touchstone), but there isn't any rush to remove the Palm name from the hardware.

I'll be curious whether they put the Palm name on the tablets that run webOS. That will probably indicate the life expectancy of the Palm name. If it isn't on their big brothers (tablets) that would indicate a vary narrow use for the Palm name. IMHO.
    The problem is...at best, Palm is synonymous with obsolete PDAs. At worst, people associate it with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The problem is...at best, Palm is synonymous with obsolete PDAs. At worst, people associate it with the Pre.
    Actually when I say palm to customers, all they remember are the constant resets and crashes, calendar corruption, frustrating hotsyncing and drab UI... So the palm name going away, I'm quiet happy with

Matter of opinion of course. I'd say that's probably an accurate view from an Apple fan
    Actually aside from the pre jab, I have to agree...

Even though they came out with webOS

The problems of palmOS over the last 10 years have hurt the name more than palm creating the PDA helped them

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    WAS. Xbox 360 is now. Nintendo Wii has had poor sales for a while now.

To be fair most people don't know what IOS is.
    Sure the xbox is selling more now, and I did misstype. But the wii has some over 70 million and the xbox is under that, closer to 50-60 million. And the xbox has been around longer. Its true, but your missing the point. Apple doesn't need to rebrand itself. HP needs to rebrand Palm. You don't need to rename something most people don't know what it is.

Which comes first, food or the chicken? That is a better example. There has to be enough food to feed the chickens and get the chickens to your ecosystem. Your not going to get more cooks to cook for you if you dont have chickens to eat the food you cook. However, if the food you give the chickens is not what they want then chickens go somewhere else.

See? Yes, it is a catch 22 and it is a lot of work. But HP has the ability to do it. We shall see if they will.