Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    The iphone 3gs is 2yo hardware and it runs great and is built like a tank. So not an excuse imo. Even the (3yo) 3g with older iOS runs better than my pre plus.
    Did they go through similar use/abuse as your pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    So I would say "all of the above", because I know SOME people want a compass. I don't want or need one in my phone, but others around here swear it's the hip thing these days.
    ha ha. yeah i totally never got the compass thing. Cause i don't go camping or anything. Now though there are other things it can do like an app can interact with the compass and stuff. like i may be wrong but that android street view thing that turns when you turn and shows you the image of the street your standing on. I think could be wrong but i think that's using the compass. But before for that i honestly didn't get it.

but one story i heard was a guy had a pre and loved it. His daughter literally said, "where's the facebook app." He said, "There isn't one" and that was the end of the daughter's interest in the phone. And i think you can probably find tons of examples where there is a must have app or feature that is either missing or just not good enough. For me it's the music player. My pre was intended to replace my ipod. My music player is flat out more important to me then my phone. And my pre, just for my needs, just doesn't cut it. For whatever reasons. They just need to offer more then just a nice interface to appeal to the widest range of people. If they do that on Feb 9 they may be back in the game. Me personally it won't change my mind but it will make their products appeal to a lot more people.

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I can honestly say that it was hardware for me....
    I had 6 replacements in 1 year; just ridiculous..
    For me People that did what you did weren't really who i was talking about. Because you actually bought the phone. So You'd be classed as a return or just a guy that switched. But if you only sold 4 million pre or however many they sold it's not like everyone bought it and returned it. Most didnt' touch it at all.

I was referring to the much larger group of people that walked into a sprint store and even before the Evo, bought something else. Or the people that looked at the sprint website and said, "nothing interest me here". Or the people using Iphones that looked at the competition and went, "nope, i'd rather stick with my outdated OS on an overpriced service with spotty reception."

I'm just saying we may know why people like you that bought it and dumped it didn't like it. But most people that don't buy a phone don't say why. And if there are say, 50 million smartphone users (no clue how many in reality) and most of them never touched a Pre and bought something else. Or the massive group of people that never touched a pre but just flat decided they'd rather have something else. Why? Hardware? How do we know? They aren't saying why they picked what they picked and didn't pick what they picked. It's not like they are filling out survey's. I think a lot of the hardware blame, though having some validity, is still based on speculation rather then fact.

I just think this idea that the ONLY think wrong is hardware and WebOS is perfect is a bit naive. I think the blame it all on hardware is simple cause that mean if you only change the hardware it will all be ok. It's a silver bullet. but it ignores that you got no apps, you got no desktop sync, that you got no video chat, that your phone may be not have any cool factor, that your commercials sucked, that your music player is garbage, that your auto correct sucked, that you couldn't get developers making apps, that you couldn't get big companies to make apps, that you didn't have enough at launch, You didn't have an app store at all, or an sdk, that you didn't have a facebook app at launch. etc. etc.

I'm not remotely gonna say bad hardware was irrelevant. That's crazy. I hell i even considered the keyboard when buying. i'm just saying if your good enough it won't matter, just like antenna gate and glass gate didn't matter other then bad prprpr $to$ $Apple$'$s$ $Iphone$. $And$ $the$ $Pre$ $didn$'$t$ $offer$ $nearly$ $enough$ $to$ $compete$ $with$ $those$ $other$ $platforms$. $And$ $HP$ $has$ $to$ $address$ $the$ $larger$ $package$ $of$ $what$ $buying$ $their$ $phone$ $offers$ $to$ $customers$.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 01/16/2011 at 03:06 AM.
    To add to that software list, people like eye candy. A better looking launcher, with better scrolling there and everywhere else, stock. This may be a hardware issue, but this is the type of hardware that consumers dont see or think about, so to them its a software issue, of just looking lame and slow.
    Oh don't get me wrong. I most certainly don't believe hardware is the only issue that palm faces. Hardware was simply the thing that pushed me over the edge. webOS is certainly the most lacking OS I've ever used. Just today we were taking pictures of our newborn. My wife still uses a Pre and she was just frustrated at all the camera options my EVO had that her Pre does not. When I mention Feb 9th to her or anyone in my family they are simply not interested.
    This is not to day webOS has no chance, but those who think the only thing that's missing is better hardware are fooling themselves.

I've personally heard quite a few reasons from people in my circle as to why they don't want a Palm device and they have ranged from "the hardware sucks" to "Palm was cool back in the day but they are irrelevant now." So no, it's not just hardware. In fact, hardware-wise the pixi wasn't bad (build quality) and it still failed like the Pre did. Blaming all of this on hardware is just silly on my book.
    Last edited by taharka; 01/16/2011 at 04:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    ha ha. yeah i totally never got the compass thing. Cause i don't go camping or anything. Now though there are other things it can do like an app can interact with the compass and stuff. like i may be wrong but that android street view thing that turns when you turn and shows you the image of the street your standing on. I think could be wrong but i think that's using the compass. But before for that i honestly didn't get it.
    Yep, don't knock the compass thing. It really enables lots of useful apps or features of apps. When I'm planning a bike route in an unknown area, I often use google maps with street view and pan around to get familiar with certain intersections. Google Sky, Layar, Google Earth, etc. are all fantastic examples of compass use. It's pretty cool to be able to point my phone at a building or structure and be told what I'm looking at when I'm in unfamiliar territory. About the only thing I don't really use are strict compass apps (those that only show a basic compass).

but one story i heard was a guy had a pre and loved it. His daughter literally said, "where's the facebook app." He said, "There isn't one" and that was the end of the daughter's interest in the phone. And i think you can probably find tons of examples where there is a must have app or feature that is either missing or just not good enough. For me it's the music player. My pre was intended to replace my ipod. My music player is flat out more important to me then my phone. And my pre, just for my needs, just doesn't cut it. For whatever reasons. They just need to offer more then just a nice interface to appeal to the widest range of people. If they do that on Feb 9 they may be back in the game. Me personally it won't change my mind but it will make their products appeal to a lot more people.
    Yep, thats the other side of the coin. But there is a facebook app now. But your example still stands -- hopefully this gets fixed with the HP devices coming this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Yep, thats the other side of the coin. But there is a facebook app now. But your example still stands -- hopefully this gets fixed with the HP devices coming this year.
    unless they are willing to fork over money i don't think so. My brokerage said they aren't interested in making a webos app. I can't see ESPN getting interested. And some of it is just variety. if you have all these options on other platforms why confine yourself.

like i look at stuff like this Akai's iPad-docking SynthStation 49 and updated app: eyes-on at NAMM 2011 -- Engadget and go, They aren't going to just make a webos version in the next month. And if that's the sort of app you're looking webos on anything is a hard sell.

or what if you're a medical practitioner. Anything is this app coming to webos realistically AirStrip PATIENT MONITORING™ for patient monitering. I doubt it. Just my gut.

Like i want amplitube, a guitar modeling amp. Like when are we gonna see apps like this? most of this stuff aint' even on android yet. I'd personally be surprised it it got close to webos before it hits android. And i've heard zero about an android app. But when you have apps that can do this that's a big trump card to for the "outdated" OS. I don't care about all this stuff i just use it as and example. if you have specific wants you may not compromise just cause the OS doesn't have nice notifications. I just think they are a way off unless whatever they release sell so big that people have to stand up and take notice.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    What sells phones is hype, and what Palm, and now HP have failed to do is generate hype outside of the "insider" crowd that pays attention to what is going on BEFORE product launches. What percentage of original Sprint Pre buyers knew about WebOS back in January/February of 2009? How many people who bought that original Sprint Pre bought it due to a sales person suggesting it?

Fast forward to 2010, and ask the same questions, how many people bought the Pre Plus from Verizon or AT&T due to just knowing about the device ahead of time, compared to the number who bought it due to sales/marketing?

People buy the iPhone, not because it is the end all, be all device, but because there is a massive amount of hype that surrounds Apple product releases. Android got a LOT of hype by Verizon selecting it as the flagship devices. HP and Palm....did NOTHING to shout that they had an amazing product! Even the advertising that was done did NOTHING that made any potential buyer feel that the WebOS devices have any advantage over the competition, and that is why WebOS gets so little attention when it comes to apps, a lack of hype.

Apps come when a developer sees potential in the platform, and right now, the potential is there, but without significant HYPE, and without getting the general public to even take a serious look at WebOS devices, there just isn't the excitement that draws in developers.

You have so much potential to hype the WebOS devices, and none of it was really used. The Touchstone itself is something that many people love, and it never got any mention when it came to advertising....

WebOS isn't outdated, but a really solid advertising campaign that targets the general public and not just existing Pre/Pixi owners is needed at this point.
    unless they are willing to fork over money i don't think so. My brokerage said they aren't interested in making a webos app. I can't see ESPN getting interested. And some of it is just variety. if you have all these options on other platforms why confine yourself.

like i look at stuff like this Akai's iPad-docking SynthStation 49 and updated app: eyes-on at NAMM 2011 -- Engadget and go, They aren't going to just make a webos version in the next month. And if that's the sort of app you're looking webos on anything is a hard sell.

or what if you're a medical practitioner. Anything is this app coming to webos realistically AirStrip PATIENT MONITORING™ for patient monitering. I doubt it. Just my gut.

Like i want amplitube, a guitar modeling amp. Like when are we gonna see apps like this? most of this stuff aint' even on android yet. I'd personally be surprised it it got close to webos before it hits android. And i've heard zero about an android app. But when you have apps that can do this that's a big trump card to for the "outdated" OS. I don't care about all this stuff i just use it as and example. if you have specific wants you may not compromise just cause the OS doesn't have nice notifications. I just think they are a way off unless whatever they release sell so big that people have to stand up and take notice.
    Since you're into music, here is a site with a slew of IOS music app reviews:ProMusicApps
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong. I most certainly don't believe hardware is the only issue that palm faces. Hardware was simply the thing that pushed me over the edge. webOS is certainly the most lacking OS I've ever used. Just today we were taking pictures of our newborn. My wife still uses a Pre and she was just frustrated at all the camera options my EVO had that her Pre does not. When I mention Feb 9th to her or anyone in my family they are simply not interested.
    This is not to day webOS has no chance, but those who think the only thing that's missing is better hardware are fooling themselves.

I've personally heard quite a few reasons from people in my circle as to why they don't want a Palm device and they have ranged from "the hardware sucks" to "Palm was cool back in the day but they are irrelevant now." So no, it's not just hardware. In fact, hardware-wise the pixi wasn't bad (build quality) and it still failed like the Pre did. Blaming all of this on hardware is just silly on my book.
    I mentioned Feb 9th (and Palm's event) to my wife as well. She held on to her iphone 4 and looked at me like i was crazy.

I don't think people realize how bad an experience the Pre was for many. It wasn't just the hardware. Perhaps the carriers realize it.

HP would do well to rebrand it all. And stay away from the portrait qwerty kbs for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    What sells phones is hype, and what Palm, and now HP have failed to do is generate hype outside of the "insider" crowd that pays attention to what is going on BEFORE product launches. What percentage of original Sprint Pre buyers knew about WebOS back in January/February of 2009? How many people who bought that original Sprint Pre bought it due to a sales person suggesting it?

Fast forward to 2010, and ask the same questions, how many people bought the Pre Plus from Verizon or AT&T due to just knowing about the device ahead of time, compared to the number who bought it due to sales/marketing?

People buy the iPhone, not because it is the end all, be all device, but because there is a massive amount of hype that surrounds Apple product releases. Android got a LOT of hype by Verizon selecting it as the flagship devices. HP and Palm....did NOTHING to shout that they had an amazing product! Even the advertising that was done did NOTHING that made any potential buyer feel that the WebOS devices have any advantage over the competition, and that is why WebOS gets so little attention when it comes to apps, a lack of hype.

Apps come when a developer sees potential in the platform, and right now, the potential is there, but without significant HYPE, and without getting the general public to even take a serious look at WebOS devices, there just isn't the excitement that draws in developers.

You have so much potential to hype the WebOS devices, and none of it was really used. The Touchstone itself is something that many people love, and it never got any mention when it came to advertising....

WebOS isn't outdated, but a really solid advertising campaign that targets the general public and not just existing Pre/Pixi owners is needed at this point.
    To be fair, a lot of this criticism rests solely on Palm, and while many try to write off the horrible adverts of the Pre and Pixi Plus/Minus as due to a lack of funds, in reality, it was a distinct lack of focus. They never had a coordinated campaign in their ads, nor did they ever have a coordinated message when people like Rubinstein, Colligan, and MacNamee spoke publicly. First, it was brio in that the Pre was a "better" product than iPhone that they could charge more for and would make iPhone users switch. Then, it was for people who just wanted to like....you know...vibe with their devices, man. Then, it was for busy people. Then, for hipsters who wanted to walk down urban streets swiping away. Then....

At no point during all of this was WebOS ever explicitly explained/demonstrated. But there most certainly was hype leading up to the Pre release. It was just completely squandered. Apple and Verizon built upon iPhone and Droid hype with focused and relentless campaigns. Palm flailed with one messaging reboot after another.

HP has a chance to start from scratch, but this recent marketing for WebOS 2.0 gives me pause because it narrowcasts the appeal of WebOS to "busy" people and piggybacks on the earlier outlandish claims of the phone "doing the thinking for you". Nevermind that Windows Phone 7 is currently adrift in the US using this exact same meme ("Instead of fumbling through a bunch of apps, I can see what my friends are doing and get back to my son's little league game instead of being 'that' guy").

They are proposing solutions to a problem that isn't really there. People flocking to Android and iOS don't need to be rescued from their platforms of choice, and while some contact and notification features might comparatively be a chore in relation to doing the same on WebOS, people are not willing to trade mature ecosystems with content to spare, plenty of apps that they've purchased, and advanced hardware for....having two less taps or swipes to do when they want to look up Bob LobLaw's email.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Then, it was for people who just wanted to like....you know...vibe with their devices, man. Then, it was for busy people. Then, for hipsters who wanted to walk down urban streets swiping away. Then....
    You forget my favourite:

MCNAMEE: People who are really busy. People who use the Web a lot.

For one thing, look at this device. There has never been a smartphone designed before for people who care a lot about how it fits in your hand and who care about integration of multiple personal information or synchronization from the cloud. It has a mirror on the back. Remember, there has never been a smartphone designed for the needs of women before.
    The entire premise of this topic is hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    The entire premise of this topic is hilarious.
    If it wasn't for this thread I would never have known iOS was outdated and difficult to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Since you're into music, here is a site with a slew of IOS music app reviews:ProMusicApps
    ooo! thanks. bookmarked.

yeah i like music but i just play a little guitar. My dad was a drummer. But it means i come across a lot of this stuff in the stores and see them in magazines. it's very impressive. And i have some musician/producer/composer friends so i just hear the chitter chatter about stuff they are talking about. Normally, like that synthesizer stuff isn't relevant to me cause i can't play but it's impressive nonetheless. And for that specific person it's the sort of thing that is a selling point for a phone or tablet. And I just have to wonder how, short of expanding the user base, you make it so these sorts of companies jump on board with your platform. I mean those apps can do some amazing stuff. so my remark was only in that context. But cool site. i'm bookmarking it.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I mentioned Feb 9th (and Palm's event) to my wife as well. She held on to her iphone 4 and looked at me like i was crazy.
    Ha ha! I can totally picture that husband and wife interplay. Sitcom scene worthy. I can understand. I have things i'm comfortable with and i'm satisfied. New stuff doesn't interest me.

I don't think people realize how bad an experience the Pre was for many. It wasn't just the hardware.
    Yeah i had a maddeing one today. got hit the santa monica promenade about 3 hours ago. it's got free parking for like two hours. I didn't know if i was over or not and would have to pay and i had no cash so it thought i'd try and find my bank atm. i open the bofa app. hit find locations. i enable gps and then it takes literally one minute search for locations. after that is gave me a choice of atm, branch or something else. but i picked atm. then it starts to search for nearby atms it sat searching for about 3 minutes and no results. It eventually just hung. I restarted the process doing everything again. Another like 5 minutes later and it hangs again. So then i do it again, I've stopped walking now and i've sat down, thinking if i keep walking i may be walking away from the atm. After doing it one more time i get to atm locations and it gives a link to map it on google maps. Google maps took literally, cause i timed it 1 minute and 39 seconds just to open. Then nothing showed up. I finally closed it and reclicked the atm link. after waiting a few more minutes the google maps app says, it "needs an internet connection". I look at my phone and i've got a full bar very strong 3G signal. I finally got frustrated and gave up. I thought of walking to the address listed but i honestly didn't know what direction the street was and said screw it. Cause after all that waiting i really thought i may have needed to pay to get my car out. I found another atm and paid a fee. Wasn't that happy. The entire time i thought if i had android i could just go "find bank of america atm" and it would probably just find it for me automatically like my brothers EVO.

Here's the rub. After all that the darn garage takes credit cards anyways.

HP would do well to rebrand it all.
    yeah i know long time Palm people have an attachment to the name. This is really my first Palm device so i have no such attachment to the name. i think don't have strong feelings either way but I think the name Palm carry's a lot more weight with the loyalists then the public in general. So it may or may not be a good strategy.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 01/17/2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You forget my favourite:
    Here is Palm's quote from July 2009, that the Pre was designed for women:

Palm Pre Commercials Aim for Women | Kara Swisher | BoomTown | AllThingsD

It also has the first creepy vampire girl ad.

They succeeded in getting everyone to talk about the Pre.

The only way to top that would be to call your next phone a Pixi.

Then there was HP CEO Mark Hurd: "We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn't seem to resonate well."

How will they be able to top all that on February 9th?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/17/2011 at 09:31 PM.
    Designed for women? Seriously?

I worry about that with my underwear, not my phone!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I had a friend who had bought a iphone 3gs. I said, show me how it works (I already knew how it works) and she said it works just like yours. Anybody get my point?
    In case some of you want a more underlying look at the direction Apple is heading with the iPhone: Report: iPhone 5 will be "Completely Redesigned"
    Apps will come with more customers. Right now, WebOS is a Palm OS and companies only look at numbers. Once it is HP and if it starts selling millions, then things will change. And I know there is a lot of people who need a certain app to do day to day things. And thats ok. I bet there are at least 1m+ ppl in the world today and who can live on the app's WebOS has.

But in the end of the day, the biggest thing -- more then just numbers -- is perception. Nintendo found this out. The Wii is the biggest selling device -- yet third parties are slow to make good, quality software for it. The same can go for WebOS. Thats why I agree with the ppl who think WebOS should be rebranded. Or rather, Palm should be. Most people don't know HP bought Palm. Most people don't know Palm made WebOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Before Apple announced the iPhone the media didn't really buzz about it. My sister didn't know what the "iPhone" was. I knew of the rumors, of course. But I went on Apple fan sites.

Same thing here. No one cares about Palm. And after Feb. 9th, I am sure that will stay the same. People will begin to be excited about HP. Assuming, of course, they have something to show. And they aren't going to say "More info soon."

HP would do well to rebrand it all. And stay away from the portrait qwerty kbs for awhile.
    I agree with this. Besides the portrait slider. I want one.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast