Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 231
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    have you used a pre 2 out of the box?

    I have, and I would disagree with you.

    but ultimatly it is a matter of opinion, you have yours i have mine.


    I didn't realize the Pre2 had launched yet......





    and I am only being marginally sarcastic. For most of the US, the Pre or Pre+ IS the Pre.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I didn't realize the Pre2 had launched yet......





    and I am only being marginally sarcastic. For most of the US, the Pre or Pre+ IS the Pre.

    for most of the US the pre and pre+ aren't even on the radar
    There are four lights.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If you buy "sight unseen" at a Verizon store, you can still return it.

    But, I don't think there's going to be a big push at Verizon, it's just an "available" device.

    Of course, I don't think any of the objections you are raising are legitimate either, since I doubt you were ever a potential buyer, just someone coming on the forum to throw in their "this is why Palm sucks" stuff.
    Can you provide a link? Are these "instructions" explicitly by Apple or Apple employees or just other common users?

    http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/multitasking.html

    Also, if you visit Apple's page that features multitasking (link above), nowhere does it lay claim to "using" multitasking by double clicking the home button. The only reference that is made is as follows:

    The multitasking user interface allows you to quickly switch between apps. Just double-click the Home button to reveal your recently used apps. Scroll right to see more apps, then tap one to reopen it. No need to wait for the app to reload.
    Last edited by barkerja; 01/14/2011 at 06:00 PM.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Oh no, wrong wrong wrong. This had nothing to do with the "demographic that's trying to take control of the multitasking on iOS". These were instructions, from Apple-related forums, with instructions to end users. These instructions directly contridict what you were saying.

    I repeat. There's no doubt here that there's confusion.
    Amen!
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    well palm reminds me of sega, and where are they now? i'll tell you where i am, on my evo.
    which is badly outdated already.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Oh no, wrong wrong wrong. This had nothing to do with the "demographic that's trying to take control of the multitasking on iOS". These were instructions, from Apple-related forums, with instructions to end users. These instructions directly contridict what you were saying.

    I repeat. There's no doubt here that there's confusion.
    Again, you're missing the point. To the larger percentage of users that never had or have interest in multitasking, they can now reap the benefits of multitasking without even realizing it.

    But, that makes no sense you say..

    Sure it does. To the countless users that were always clueless why they couldn't listen to Pandora while sending a text or return to an email where they left off when needing to reference something in another application, it's all now seamless without them having to change a single method of use.
  7. #87  
    Thank you all participants!!! You have amused me greatly!!! LOL! ( I just read this whole thread beginning to end)

    (special thanks to those who described how easy it was to learn the Pre, only a matter of a day or two some said....... I don't consider myself dumb or a slow learner by any means, but it took me a good month or more to figure out how to use it properly, lol. I should have watched those built-in help instructions, but when I got my phone, I really needed to make a phone call, and skipped them, and then forgot they were there.)

    (oya and another month or 2 to figure out this site was here and then install Preware and all that jazz, so it really was a painful first 2-3 months for me, lol)

    Great entertainment though, thanks again
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  8. #88  
    2-3 months on pre without preware is cruel and unusual punishment
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Will Apple Ever Catch Up?
    Nope. They will always be behind. They are too busy keeping the lines at their stores orderly and counting their enormous profits. They are doomed.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    LOL at this thread. I particularly liked the part about iOS being outdated. I wonder if webOS has caught up with WP7 yet. Anyway, thanks for the laughs.
    Wp7?? Other then hardware wise, webos is defiantly ahead of wp7. It's lacking many many features and the ui is not all that attractive it really is a backward leap. Here is why

    - no wallpapers other then lock screen just like original iPhone
    - no multitasking just like the original iPhone
    - no copy paste just like the original iPhone
    - no video calling just like current webos
    - relies heavily on sync software
    - no customizable ringtones other then ones u buy just like older iPhones
    - no real notifications system

    It seems very much like a big leap backwards then anything. Even windows mobile had more functionality. As far As apple goes I believe webos and iOS are even. Why, because webos has great multitasking while iOS has nothing but a launcher and saved state in apps. Their multitasking is a joke. It does ok for some things, but it's just not multitasking nor are all apps working well in the background. Im apps don't always notify you when in the background like I'd expect, not all apps keep their save state long. Tapping the button twice is annoying A's well... And many non tech people say they hate it. Also messaging and synergy are much better on webos, iOS barely has syncing. Notifications don't even exist on iOS just pop ups. I do think iOS has a much better app market, I like how apps can utilize each other the ui is much smoother as of now, and folders are nice too plus many api's are available. With webos 2.0 I do think webos will be a superior ui because of just type, exhibition and an even more improved multitasking A's well A's a customizable auto correct which let me way apples is horrible!! I type as and it corrects it to A's which is annoying because I don't always catch it... App wise is where webos needs to catch up, and hardware wise.
  11. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Again, you're missing the point. To the larger percentage of users that never had or have interest in multitasking, they can now reap the benefits of multitasking without even realizing it.

    But, that makes no sense you say..

    Sure it does. To the countless users that were always clueless why they couldn't listen to Pandora while sending a text or return to an email where they left off when needing to reference something in another application, it's all now seamless without them having to change a single method of use.
    You're contradicting yourself.
  12. #92  
    about iOS being outdated.
    Even if we where to take as fact that IOS is outdated, the reality is, despite being "outdated" Apple has the number one selling smartphone in the country, has the highest level of customer satisfied with the product they've released. The huge majority of those have little interest in changing to a different phone. So if the OS is so outdated one can reasonably conclude that the OS on a phone is not the most important factor in a customer's choice of phone. The overall package of services provided are much more important. Clearly most consumers don't care. Clearly it's a redherring. Because if it did everyone would have bought the much better webos operating system phone. They didn't though. If the OS is outdated that means they trounce the competition with one hand tied behind their back. Which doesn't speak highly of the competition.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Even if we where to take as fact that IOS is outdated, the reality is, despite being "outdated" Apple has the number one selling smartphone in the country, has the highest level of customer satisfied with the product they've released. The huge majority of those have little interest in changing to a different phone. So if the OS is so outdated one can reasonably conclude that the OS on a phone is not the most important factor in a customer's choice of phone. The overall package of services provided are much more important. Clearly most consumers don't care. Clearly it's a redherring. Because if it did everyone would have bought the much better webos operating system phone. They didn't though. If the OS is outdated that means they trounce the competition with one hand tied behind their back. Which doesn't speak highly of the competition.
    This makes almost too much sense! (so much sense that ppl will choose to ignore it as to not be shut down)
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    You're contradicting yourself.
    Not exactly. I could have worded it better but what I merely meant was those users that don't understand why they can't do certain things. Those that don't understand what "multitasking" means. Those that now can play Pandora and other multitasking things without realizing that they're actually multitasking.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post

    - no wallpapers other then lock screen just like original iPhone
    - no multitasking just like the original iPhone
    - no copy paste just like the original iPhone
    - no video calling just like current webos
    - relies heavily on sync software
    - no customizable ringtones other then ones u buy just like older iPhones
    - no real notifications system
    Looks like WebOS is all ready behind. I support WebOS, but I do know it needs to catch up. And WP7 has a better email app -- which, let me tell you, having a great email app IS an amazing feature) plus it does have a large app catalog then WebOS has -- which is a "killer feature" that smartphone users love these days.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Even if we where to take as fact that IOS is outdated, the reality is, despite being "outdated" Apple has the number one selling smartphone in the country, has the highest level of customer satisfied with the product they've released. The huge majority of those have little interest in changing to a different phone. So if the OS is so outdated one can reasonably conclude that the OS on a phone is not the most important factor in a customer's choice of phone. The overall package of services provided are much more important. Clearly most consumers don't care. Clearly it's a redherring. Because if it did everyone would have bought the much better webos operating system phone. They didn't though. If the OS is outdated that means they trounce the competition with one hand tied behind their back. Which doesn't speak highly of the competition.
    People didn't buy WebOS for many different reasons. One of the biggest is hardware. But what you said is correct -- no matter how good an OS is, if the hardware isn't up to snub (or some other part of the device) people will buy the phone that has what they do want and need.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If you buy "sight unseen" at a Verizon store, you can still return it.

    But, I don't think there's going to be a big push at Verizon, it's just an "available" device.

    Of course, I don't think any of the objections you are raising are legitimate either, since I doubt you were ever a potential buyer, just someone coming on the forum to throw in their "this is why Palm sucks" stuff.
    You're probably right that Verizon won't have a big push for the Pre 2, especially considering its absence in the two major events Verizon sponsored over the past two weeks.

    You're also right that I have no intention of purchasing a Pre 2. After having owned two Pres, the platform holds no interest for me, not after owning a Samsung Galaxy, a Droid Pro and a Droid X. You never know though, 9 Feb may hold a surprise or two (wedged in snugly between the Verizon iPhone release and the Apple iPad 2 release).
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    People didn't buy WebOS for many different reasons. One of the biggest is hardware.
    You know i don't doubt that you're right on the point that there are people that didn't buy it cause of "hardware." But I hear that often and the more i think about it the more i consider that i've never seen a study or poll of reasons why people chose not to buy a pre. So really we are left to speculate. I know it's a reason people return Pres. And assuming they say "hardware" what does that mean? Is it hardware build, hardware feature, or hardware form factor, or all of the above? Build quality, specifically the oreo they addressed pretty early. But it's not like all when you go into the store every Pre is Oreoing on the display so i don't know how much oreo would have been in keeping people in a store from buying it. Maybe word of mouth is a problem but it's not like there were thousands of papers writing about Oreo issue like there were thousands writing about antenna gate. Which makes me also think if it's hardware build quality that killed the pre why didn't it kill the Iphone with it's easily breaking glass and broken antenna? The answer to me is the package iphone offers is just more compelling the what the pre offered and thus people with broken iphones still wanted an iphone. Just a nonbroken one. A lot of people that had broken pre's didn't keep wanting pre's.

    Is it hardware features? I'm not sure because it not like the Pre was outdated as hardware features go when it was release or even really the Pre+. They quickly added video recording. And HD video and photography wasn't exactly in every phone at that time. I guess maybe the one thing i could think of is the lack of zoom in the camera. but other then that lack of zoom i can't see many reasons why, at the release a person would go, Oh that Pre hardware isn't up to spec.

    Hardware form factor? Maybe. I hate portrait sliders and wanted a horizontal one but the physical keyboard was a large reason i bought the pre. Coincidentally i have no interest in a physical keyboard now and i loathe the pre keyboard. But i digress. I will say that i do think this could be a large issue. The problem is a ton of prelovers/palm lovers like treos, they want a portrait slider. Thus they love the form factor. But you when Pre was release i don't think there was a single smartphone portrait slider released in the U.S. (i could be totally wrong. sorry if i am). But i don't think at the time (or now) that's a popular form factor. Which presents a problem. You've got your palm base of costumers saying they want keyboards and vertical sliders but the larger consumer market buying keyboardless slabs and a whole lot more smartphones released that are horizontal sliders. I have to say that if a company chooses to placate the base at the expense of the masses of consumers then i have to say it's on that company that chose to sell masses what they didn't want. Maybe the mistake is trying to sell to the smaller market of old Palm lovers and not to the larger group of people that likely didn't want that form factor. That's a decision they'd make in store. And it really goes to the company's choice. At some point they gotta look at the choices they made.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    . And assuming they say "hardware" what does that mean? Is it hardware build, hardware feature, or hardware form factor, or all of the above?
    "It feels like a toy." , "I would break that thing in 20 seconds.", "It does not look like it would last.", "It's too small. Where is my iPhone?", "The keyboard is horrid." These are similar responses you would get from people who would consider a Pre, but choose something else. Not saying it's 100% -- some people choose something different for other reasons -- but a lot of people would say things like that. So I would say "all of the above", because I know SOME people want a compass. I don't want or need one in my phone, but others around here swear it's the hip thing these days.
  19. #99  
    I can honestly say that it was hardware for me. I don't buy phones just to have the latest thing. I had every intent on keeping my Pre for at least 2 years when I got it. While webOS was severely lacking, it was the Pre's hardware that did me in. I was very dissapointed with Palm because I've only had two of their devices go bad on me since I started using their products back in '96. With the Pre, I had 6 replacements in 1 year; just ridiculous. I was in the Sprint store so often that they gave me some service credit for my time. It was the worse experience I've had with a device in my entire life.

    I don't mind the occasional lemon, but I'm not in the lemonade business.

    Side note: on the compass thing, I really like having it. I don't really need a standard compass app, but the apps that use the compass like Layar and Google Maps are very valuable to me. I use Google Sky to explain some of the cosmos to my daughter. It is this hardware feature that stopped me from craving the Touchstone after I moved to the EVO.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's the problem. Most of the folks on here expressing their "informed opinion" are expressing it about hardware that was released almost 1-2 years ago, and a 1st gen OS that has been updated a few times since.

    Virtually none of those expressing their opinions here have experienced the latest hardware, or even the latest OS.

    If you use a company's older OS, you're likely to find it somewhat dated.
    The iphone 3gs is 2yo hardware and it runs great and is built like a tank. So not an excuse imo. Even the (3yo) 3g with older iOS runs better than my pre plus.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions