Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    What's wrong with you guys? When I read this topic I had a good laugh, then all of a sudden the serious Pre users and the other serious people started getting way too serious. Why so serious? I think the TC was just making a joke because of all the topics we've seen asking "Will Palm ever catch up to iPhone/Android?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, 2.0 was a pretty major facelift. That was a few months back. Word is they're working on an update as we speak.
    I would like to try out the new webOS 2.0 features hands on, but I'm not willing to spend $450 sight unseen or buy a ticket to Paris for the privilege. From my viewpoint, webOS is still stuck in Jan 2009.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I would say it is "outdated" because iOS has been doing the same thing since 07 when the apple phone was introduced(I have always said apple copied the old Palm OS with the home button-remember press app you wanted, press home to choose another app). Apple can't afford to become complacent on its own user experience(its competing against itself). Apple is about cool and new. So it has to change its UI. For uniqueness say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I would like to try out the new webOS 2.0 features hands on, but I'm not willing to spend $450 sight unseen or buy a ticket to Paris for the privilege. From my viewpoint, webOS is still stuck in Jan 2009.
    I suspect that's merely another attempt at a "jab" - but if you're serious then you don't have to do either.

Log on to Palm's website, register as a developer, and download the SDK. You won't get the "full experience" naturally, but a purchase won't be sight unseen either.

Then, if you like what you see, you can plunk down the $450.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Please explain to me how iOS is outdated compared to webOS.

I would like real world examples and how it would effect a typical user, not a geek that tinkers with their phone.
    iOS is behind in certain areas, but not every area. Palm is behind in many areas, but leading in others. And when this update comes to iPhone users, Apple will no longer be behind. And so many iPhone users will begin to understand why their old multitasking style with double tap was inferior to what Palm did.

With that said, notice how I said Palm. Everything we have seen thus far from HP WebOS 2.0 was there before HP took place, because revolutionary, new features take a while to make. So does amazing hardware. Feb. 9th we will then be able to say HP is still behind, and that HP will fail.

Or -- it is possible -- however slight, that HP will release some amazing feature and Apple will once again be behind. It's even more possible, although of course unlikely -- because Apple is the only innovator in this market (according to some people in this post) -- that HP will "catch up" as well, with adding features like a compass and better syncing. Getting a better email app, and all the features that has been discussed before.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Swiping between open apps in fullscreen mode in the new version of OS X will mirror what you see in iOS 4.3. It has nothing to do with Palm.
    Look, I am a Mac user and I know that what Palm did Apple had thought of before. However, my question is why is it taking them so long to bring this feature from the Mac to the iPhone? It has taken four generations to give their users the best multitasking possible on a phone, when it took Palm their first try? Sure, Palm made a lot of misteps. I could name some, like the hardware, advertising, lack of a decent email app, taking too long to get a dev kit into developer hands. I could go on and on. But why did it take Apple so long to do something that even Palm could do on the first try (first try with Palm WebOS, that is -- Palm OS was 16 years old and WAY outdated).

In the end, Apple and Palm are true innovators. So is Google. Google is bringing a lot of nifty, amazing features to their OS. And this is very, very rare in a market. To have three innovators fighting it out? Usually it's only one. All three of these companies have made their fair of mistakes. Should I bring up the atenea issue with iPhone 4? How Jobs said every smart phone has this problem but I could never replicate it with my Blackberry (which I don't have any more). Yes, I am sure it did exist some what -- but like RIM said, they had spent years developing the right design and Apple missed the mark. And with them bringing focus back to that with the Verizon iPhone, saying it's fixed now, reaffirms they know that. But who cares? Palm made very unreliable hardware when they said "We want to get it right the first time." Sorry folks, you didn't.

But HP has not actually made poor hardware. Even the Pre 2 is 100% better in terms of build quality, if you want to consider that as an HP phone.

And with that ... I am done.
    Last edited by astraith; 01/14/2011 at 08:44 AM.
    I suspect that's merely another attempt at a "jab" - but if you're serious then you don't have to do either.

Log on to Palm's website, register as a developer, and download the SDK. You won't get the "full experience" naturally, but a purchase won't be sight unseen either.

Then, if you like what you see, you can plunk down the $450.
    You think that's a reasonable and natural step the average WebOS customer who got their handset free from Amazon or Verizon or wherever wanting to upgrade their handset is going to take or be satisfied with?
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    iOS is behind in certain areas, but not every area. Palm is behind in many areas, but leading in others. And when this update comes to iPhone users, Apple will no longer be behind. And so many iPhone users will begin to understand why their old multitasking style with double tap was inferior to what Palm did.
    I think it has to do with understanding your market. I'm not a fan of their home button as its used in multitasking. (I don't mind the home button being there though). But that's too much double tapping for me. And so i understand what you're saying.

To bring in gestures though just makes it more complex for the average user. You have to remember their main customer is your average nontechie. It doesn't get any simpler with one button. And believe it or not, i still see people who don't double click or use this. I'd bet there's a huge % of iphone users who still use their phones the same way before multitasking came in 4.0. So Apple has to weigh being innovative vs ease of use. It seems that people want their OS to outsell the rest or lead the market? Well, be careful what you wish for because ease of use becomes a constraint.

I always have this one staff guy suggesting ways to improve systems at work. He doesn't seem to understand the big picture. "But its more efficient if we do it this way using this latest tech" he says. But he doesn't understand that most of the clerical staff have been here for years, are very good at what they do, and i'm not about to change their world, incur the costs to do so, or risk losing them.
    Last edited by cardfan; 01/14/2011 at 09:48 AM.
    Actually, 2.0 was a pretty major facelift. That was a few months back. Word is they're working on an update as we speak.
    I suspect we are going to se a serious facelit soon. There are some things on webOS 2.0...

(I don't say we are going to see it next 9th, thought)
    Newness Developments apps:

I was thinking that it would probably be whatever webos release they r workin on now at the after party on the 9th, on the new hardware they show that morning. Thats why theres to be no video recording, cause the hardware will be shown to all at the announcement, but they want to give devs a sneak peak at the new software
    I did that. However, the only "refresh" I see is a new input box on the home screen. Where's the new UI elements or major facelift you speak of?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Please explain to me how iOS is outdated compared to webOS.

I would like real world examples and how it would effect a typical user, not a geek that tinkers with their phone.
    Using an itouch more then my pre, let me answer this. Background/ multitasking is horrid. Defiantly NOT the best at all. Getting to the apps is annoying. I've had several non tech friends say they never use it because it annoys them to have to try and pull it out. Also, the way it multitasks is really not much different from the way it did before honestly... Aside from the nifty launcher it has now, the apps simply save state. Many apps do use some background function, but things like iming just don't work anywhere near like u would want them to. And webos has the most elegant messaging system of all, it just needs more features and services. Many of the iming apps simply don't alert you unless your in app. Copying and pasting between apps is not A's easy distpite how much better copy and paste is on the iPhone. Now... Also synergy is awesome and the new just type will be awesome. Let me also say iOS is ahead in things too. Copy and paste is way ahead on iOS. Also like how apps can coincide with each other so one app may let me use another app to save or view something. That's very cool it's got more strengths and more weaknesses as well buy it does have some big points it's behind in. The app store is what blinds that.
    Also it's auto correct is HORRIBLE! I hate it but it doesn't give u an option to have auto correct off and spell check on, though I think I'd be better off...
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Also it's auto correct is HORRIBLE! I hate it but it doesn't give u an option to have auto correct off and spell check on, though I think I'd be better off...
    I do hate that. Doesnt make sense
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I did that. However, the only "refresh" I see is a new input box on the home screen. Where's the new UI elements or major facelift you speak of?
    The quick launch bar is new, the launcher is new (now it's like cards), just type is new... there are new buttons styling (shared with current styles) in new apps and preferences, new frames for interface elements (like contact thumbnails)...

Small changes, but pretty different things that make me think that webOS will suffer a serious redesing (with a flatter styling) in future versions. Not about the foundations (cards, notifications, and so on), but the UI elements look.
    Last edited by deCorvett; 01/14/2011 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    You talking about on iOS or webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    The quick launch bar is new, the launcher is new (now it's like cards), just type is new... there are new buttons styling (shared with current styles) in new apps and preferences, new frames for interface elements (like contact thumbnails)...

Small changes, but pretty different things that make me thing that webOS will suffer a serious redesing (with a flatter styling) in future versions. Not about the foundations (cards, notifications, and so on), but the UI elements look.
    New quick launch bar?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    New quick launch bar?
    The styling of the quick launch bar (the bar with the launcher button). The styling is different. Not too much, but different. Small details, but side by side, both webOS versions looks different.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think it has to do with understanding your market. I'm not a fan of their home button as its used in multitasking. (I don't mind the home button being there though). But that's too much double tapping for me. And so i understand what you're saying.

To bring in gestures though just makes it more complex for the average user. You have to remember their main customer is your average nontechie. It doesn't get any simpler with one button. And believe it or not, i still see people who don't double click or use this. I'd bet there's a huge % of iphone users who still use their phones the same way before multitasking came in 4.0. So Apple has to weigh being innovative vs ease of use. It seems that people want their OS to outsell the rest or lead the market? Well, be careful what you wish for because ease of use becomes a constraint.

I always have this one staff guy suggesting ways to improve systems at work. He doesn't seem to understand the big picture. "But its more efficient if we do it this way using this latest tech" he says. But he doesn't understand that most of the clerical staff have been here for years, are very good at what they do, and i'm not about to change their world, incur the costs to do so, or risk losing them.
    The thing about it is, I think Apple's way of multitasking is harder. Case in point, when I upgraded my non-multitasking iPod gen to the new OS last year, I couldn't figure out the multitasking. I figured it just wasn't possible. It wasn't until I did it on accident I figured it out and I was like "wow!" Even more surprising, it wasn't until 1-3 months afterwards I figured out I could kill app's by holding the home button while looking at the multitasking. Again, it was on accident, not on purpose or not by reading about the iPhone 4.

Now with Palm WebOS, my sister who thought my Samsung Exclaim (yes -- the feature phone for Sprint) was too complicated, loves her Pixi because it's simple and easy to use. She said it took her a day or two to become a master of how it works, but was able to figure the phone out. She even knows more about WebOS then I do, and I read and keep up with all it's features (and she doesn't). BTW, my sister hates computers, so it's not like she is a tech geek like me.

So I fail to see it being too complicated. Maybe it is for some, but for some the iPhone is too complicated -- so it goes both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post

So I fail to see it being too complicated. Maybe it is for some, but for some the iPhone is too complicated -- so it goes both ways.

I think you are the only person who thinks iPhone is too complicated. One of the thing that alot of people stay away from iphone and went to Android because Iphone is just too simple.

Even if you are an anti Apple, or anti Iphone, you really have to give some credit to Apple to make mainstream device which is so simple, even 2 years old baby can use it. remarkable.
    yeah I dont think Apple has to worry about catching up to anyone, even android. They just have to focus on making sure their products are top of the line, with the least amount of problems when launched (like the antanna issue). If you look at sales even last year on just AT&T for 2 Q's they were up a crazy percentage from last year, and mind you that was with antanna issues, the EVO, and EPIC launch and the rest of the android crop. With the Iphone now on 2 carriers, the rest of the companys need to catch up to Apple IMO. Though if executed correctly by HP, since they gross more money, and has a bigger buisness relationship across the globe, and a bigger brand name (10th, apple 17th) they can IMO jump ahead of alot of the competition out there. To me Apples OS, Android, Microsoft, and Webos are all different OS's. Though each will try and take bits from each other, they are all still very very different.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast