Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112
Results 221 to 231 of 231
  1. #221  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I did a quick check and it looks like global notebook sales surpassed desktop sales as far back as 2005 in some studies.
    I don't doubt that. However, deskto PC's outlast laptops. I very well could be wrong, but I suspect (pretty strongly) that a desktop PC is still more widely used than laptops.

    I know that's the case in the corporate world.
  2. #222  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well said.
    I has my moments
  3. #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    When you say "tablets will soon become the standard, and laptops/desktops the niche" I think you're overlooking that laptops still are not quite the "standard". I'd say they are a standard, but my experience is that there are still more users buying and using desktop PCs, both personally and especially in the workplace.
    Agreed. "Soon" was a poorly chosen word on my part.

    Though I thought I'd read some articles back around '08 or '09 that said Laptops had already jumped ahead of Desktops in terms of sales. It has certainly been the case at the places I've contracted over the past few years. I'll have to see if I can dig up any of those articles.

    Edit: Just saw the graphic posted by UntidyGuy. It contains "forecasts" rather than actuals, so I'll still see if I can find a link or two to some real numbers.

    Edit 2:Here's one link from Dec-2008: http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Midmarket/N...Desktop-Sales/
    “Momentum has been building in the notebook market for some time, so it’s not a complete surprise that shipments have surpassed those of desktops,” said iSuppli principal analyst for compute platforms Matthew Wilkins. “However, this marks a major event in the PC market because it marks the start of the age of the notebook.”
    Last edited by taharka; 01/25/2011 at 01:18 PM.
  4. #224  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And to bring this back around to the original post, I don't think Apple even begins to approach this type of synergy.
    I don't see Apple doing this either, but it is worth mentioning that they have been using the cloud ever since MobileMe -- with contact info, and other things if I remember -- being automatically updated within your iOS devices. Am I wrong iPhone users?

    However, does Android does this, Android fans? I know it has SOME of this functionality, but does it do everything HP mentioned?
  5. #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Care to elaborate exactly what you mean? In what sense exactly? I was trying to think what webOS' synergy provides that Android does not and I can't think of anything off the top of my head.
    Can't say what Android does or does not offer...
    Android 1.0 synchronized contacts, calendar, addresses, emails, phone numbers, birthdays, etc. when it was released in September 2008. Today Android lets you select which cloud sources to sync including:
    • Microsoft Exchange
    • Facebook
    • Flickr
    • Google
    • LinkedIn
    • Quik
    • Twitter
    • Yahoo!

    For instance, if a Facebook friend updates their info or photos, your phone is updated. When they call, their photo and current status pops up along with their name and number. To add accounts or change settings: Tap Home > Settings > Accounts & Sync.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/31/2011 at 07:32 AM.
  6. #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    There are many others that I just don't use.
    Indeed. It brings in Facebook events and birthdays to your contact data and calendar as well, he weather, etc. One of the nice things is that you can control exactly how much and how often these things sync.
  7. #227  
    There is a lot of back and forth in this thread about things that don't have anything to do with the original topic. The fact is that webos right now is ahead of all other operating systems and is going to be copied extensively very soon.

    I think everyone knows that. Sure there are missing features that make other phones more attractive, but I think palm has managed to create a general template as to how to move around and get things done on a small device.

    There is room for improvement and either palm will continue to lead or get leaped frogged again remains to be seen.

    I think this thread is spent, see you all later
  8. #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    There is a lot of back and forth in this thread about things that don't have anything to do with the original topic. The fact is that webos right now is ahead of all other operating systems and is going to be copied extensively very soon.

    I think everyone knows that. Sure there are missing features that make other phones more attractive, but I think palm has managed to create a general template as to how to move around and get things done on a small device.

    There is room for improvement and either palm will continue to lead or get leaped frogged again remains to be seen.

    I think this thread is spent, see you all later
    Meh, none of your claims have been proven in this thread. In the end, it would seem that most of the OSes are on par with each other on most features. Beyond that, each OS has some things that it does better than the competition. All that can be said, as was pointed out by hparsons, an OS may be the best for a specific person. Anything more general than that is likely not based in fact.
  9. #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    A lot of people have this preconceived notion of what a tablet can and can't do, or more specifically, what they can and can't do (I'm more or less speaking about the iPad here).
    i don't think the issue is people saying it can or can't do something. My point is there are things many people don't want to do on a tablet whether you can or can't. It's like people that try to tell me i should ditch my cable and watch tv on may computer. I don't want to. I like watching live sports and news in High def on my ridiculously sexy 55 in piano black flat screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Do keep in mind that things were similar for a while with laptops. It used to be that you only needed a laptop for mobility but a desktop for the heavy lifting. Now, there are entire floors in corporate buildings with no desktops. When I first started in this industry, there was a laptop on every desk. Now when I get a new contract, I'm either issues a laptop by the client or I provide my own. On my last 2 contracts (last 3-4 years), hardly anyone at the clients used desktops.

    I don't think this change will happen over night, but tablets will get more and more powerful and the accessories will get better and better. I think tablets will soon become the standard and laptops/desktops the niche.
    tNot really analogous. that was an issue of processing power and all most of those people probably did was stuff like use excel, word and power point. not power intensive. a laptop and a desktop still have the same hardware. Screen, drives, keyboard. a tablet doesn't. Like i said, am i really gonna type an 80 page legal brief or contract on a glass screen? not likely. I think it wont happen. it won't take over for laptops that is because it simply doesn't fit a huge portion of people's needs in the business world. it may be fine for netflixing and plenty of other things but those are different uses and don't always apply. But i'd say if it is canabalizing laptop sales that's a problem for HP. Cause they are hurting their own products.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    There is a lot of back and forth in this thread about things that don't have anything to do with the original topic. The fact is that webos right now is ahead of all other operating systems and is going to be copied extensively very soon.

    I think everyone knows that. Sure there are missing features that make other phones more attractive, but I think palm has managed to create a general template as to how to move around and get things done on a small device.

    There is room for improvement and either palm will continue to lead or get leaped frogged again remains to be seen.

    I think this thread is spent, see you all later
    There is a lot of hopefulness in this post but "facts"? No.
  11. #231  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i don't think the issue is people saying it can or can't do something. My point is there are things many people don't want to do on a tablet whether you can or can't. It's like people that try to tell me i should ditch my cable and watch tv on may computer. I don't want to. I like watching live sports and news in High def on my ridiculously sexy 55 in piano black flat screen.
    LOL, I do exactly this with my computer connected to my flat screen. It's as if I had a cable company issued set top box connected to the TV, except I get the exact configuration "I" want.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Not really analogous. that was an issue of processing power and all most of those people probably did was stuff like use excel, word and power point. not power intensive. a laptop and a desktop still have the same hardware. Screen, drives, keyboard. a tablet doesn't. Like i said, am i really gonna type an 80 page legal brief or contract on a glass screen? not likely. I think it wont happen. it won't take over for laptops that is because it simply doesn't fit a huge portion of people's needs in the business world. it may be fine for netflixing and plenty of other things but those are different uses and don't always apply. But i'd say if it is canabalizing laptop sales that's a problem for HP. Cause they are hurting their own products.
    I think you are not considering accessories. If you can do it on something the size of a netbook, you can do it on a tablet. By itself, you can do most of the day-to-day stuff with ease and comfort. You are a simple bluetooth keyboard away from that 80-page legal brief or contract. The power of a tablet (a good tablet with an ecosystem backing it) is that it can fill the gap between phone and laptop (desktop) by itself and become a laptop when needed via accessories. Imagination will continue to meet funds and the tablet will at some point become the standard. You'll be able to "dock it" when needed. Everything you need will be available (built in or as an accessory).

    Edit: I've started a thread on this topic. Join in here: http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2838791
    Last edited by taharka; 01/26/2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added link to separate thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Posting Permissions