Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    It did't gain much traction, but here it is anyway:
    Thanks, the first post pretty much sums it up, accept I'd want a good or better synergy.

Quote Originally Posted by barker
    That's now standard on Android as of 2.2.
    I did say earlier that I was least experienced on Android, but I will certainly keep that in mind if I do try Android again. Does it include all of the same services that Palm does (mateo doesnt seem to think so), which ones exactly if not? And do you have to set it up or will it do its own thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Thanks, the first post pretty much sums it up, accept I'd want a good or better synergy.

I did say earlier that I was least experienced on Android, but I will certainly keep that in mind if I do try Android again. Does it include all of the same services that Palm does (mateo doesnt seem to think so), which ones exactly if not? And do you have to set it up or will it do its own thing?
    You can sync contacts, applications, calendar, Facebook, etc. It's all just as seamless as webOS w/ synergy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mateo2 View Post
    Android offers fewer services than Synergy though.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Care to elaborate exactly what you mean? In what sense exactly? I was trying to think what webOS' synergy provides that Android does not and I can't think of anything off the top of my head.
    Does it include all of the same services that Palm does (mateo doesnt seem to think so), which ones exactly if not? And do you have to set it up or will it do its own thing?
    I'm curious about this as well since I haven't missed any synergy services from webOS. It's possible I wasn't using all of them, but the ones I did use I continue to use on Android.

Mods, anyway to split just these last few posts off to a separate thread so that we don't **** people off more for derailing this one?
    How did this thread about apple become another Android commercial? Just sayin
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You can sync contacts, applications, calendar, Facebook, etc. It's all just as seamless as webOS w/ synergy.
    In fact, there are some nice extras with HTC Sense on Android.

Example: When people call me, in addition to seeing their pic, name and number, I also see their Facebook status. I got a call from someone the other day who I hadn't spoken with in a while and his status read "Thanks for all the birthday wishes everyone." I had forgotten to post a bday message on his wall, but was able to answer the call with "Happy birthday old man. What's up?" #CameInHandy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    How did this thread about apple become another Android commercial? Just sayin
    We'll get back on track soon. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Will iPhone's 60 milliion units a year and 300,000 apps ever catch up to webOS?

Think of it like a racetrack. Apple sells 178,000 iPhones a day.

The Pre is discontinued. The Pre 2 is only sold by one carrier in France, with maybe 10,000 units a month?

So Apple catches up to webOS about once an hour.

It is kind of like asking, "When will Toyota catch up to Citeron?"

- Craig
    That's assuming the OP meant numbers when he said "catch up" - I suspect we both know that's not what he meant.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm not sure how you can say this. Unless Sprint or T Mobile exclusively picks up the new HP devices, they will sit side-by-side iPads and iPhones at practically any retail outlet. On this and every continent. How can you say they aren't in the same race?
    Similar to my previous post, I don't think the OPs point was numbers. If sheer numbers was the point, I think Nokia owns that race.

In three quarters, iPad captured ~7% of the global PC market. iPads Are Already 7% Of Global PC Market
    I don't understand the math. Their 7% number is based on iPad sales compared to total PC sales. If that's the case, and the numbers continue (which would assume this wasn't a "new device surge" and also no new competing devices), if the numbers continue, the Apple's global share would still be 7%.

With the exception of Blackberry what they all need to catch up on is better battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't understand the math. Their 7% number is based on iPad sales compared to total PC sales. If that's the case, and the numbers continue (which would assume this wasn't a "new device surge" and also no new competing devices), if the numbers continue, the Apple's global share would still be 7%.

Considering the iPad has been holding strong at around ~55,000 devices sold daily for a few months now, I think it's safe to say this isn't a "new device surge".

The article was somewhat poorly worded. It's better to say that in one quarter, 7% of all global pc sales were iPad's. That's pretty impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    But I see what you are saying to some extent... maybe a better analogy would be that Apple is the NFL and by the time everyone else is a red shirt freshman and then plays 4 years, Apple won't be playing football any more.

They know where the puck is going because they are the one shooting, everyone else gets there late or not at all. I'm convinced that Steve Jobs and Ashten Kutcher have both made made deals with the devil... neither of them can be THAT good, can they?
    Dang, I've been out of "the game" so long, I didn't even realize the NFL had started using pucks...
    Do keep in mind that things were similar for a while with laptops. It used to be that you only needed a laptop for mobility but a desktop for the heavy lifting. Now, there are entire floors in corporate buildings with no desktops. When I first started in this industry, there was a laptop on every desk. Now when I get a new contract, I'm either issues a laptop by the client or I provide my own. On my last 2 contracts (last 3-4 years), hardly anyone at the clients used desktops.

I don't think this change will happen over night, but tablets will get more and more powerful and the accessories will get better and better. I think tablets will soon become the standard and laptops/desktops the niche.
    I agree with much of this (BTW, I've had a laptop as my primary computer for over 10 years, only using a desktop when forced to at work or client sites). The one area I would disagree with is the implication of how long such a transformation will take.

When you say "tablets will soon become the standard, and laptops/desktops the niche" I think you're overlooking that laptops still are not quite the "standard". I'd say they are a standard, but my experience is that there are still more users buying and using desktop PCs, both personally and especially in the workplace.

I expect that in 3-5 years, we'll see tablets in use much the same was a laptops (with some differences). A very popular alternative, but still not "the standard".
    I know I'm not discussing all the features of the two platforms but rather just one specific feature, but our discussion earlier has lead me personally to conclude that I will not begin to consider any platform for my phone that does not offer an equivalent synergy service. That is a seamless automatic OTA back up of contacts, calender and email.
    I hadn't realised before earlier how important that was to me.

So yes, I do believe that Apple and others need to catch up in that respect.

Here's a challenge to you though, find me one thing that an iphone can do, that the pre doesnt, that would be fundamental to my use? I can tell you that in all the time I've spent with ios I've not found anything that I miss when coming back to webOS.
    This post so perfectly exemplifies why the whole thread is really an exercise in "but I like ...".

You identified something in which Apple is behind, thus they have to "catch up", at least in that field.

You've also identified that you've not seen anything the Apple does that you need. Thus, Apple is clearly behind - for you.

The whole thread was way too broad for it to have turned into anything but a very general discussion. The OP did not mention exactly what it was that Apple was behind in. Certainly it's not numbers, popularity, or profit. However, he did hint around with some of the changes that Apple is considering for the iPhone that clearly (at least to him) indicate that they are copying others in some respects.

Yes, I personally thinkt he iPhone is lacking areas. But then, there's no doubt that the Pre/Pixie is as well. What makes competition so great is that each side is trying to come up with something that the other side doesn't have that users will want. That keeps us all as users, getting "new stuff".
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    This post so perfectly exemplifies why the whole thread is really an exercise in "but I like ...".

You identified something in which Apple is behind, thus they have to "catch up", at least in that field.

You've also identified that you've not seen anything the Apple does that you need. Thus, Apple is clearly behind - for you.

The whole thread was way too broad for it to have turned into anything but a very general discussion. The OP did not mention exactly what it was that Apple was behind in. Certainly it's not numbers, popularity, or profit. However, he did hint around with some of the changes that Apple is considering for the iPhone that clearly (at least to him) indicate that they are copying others in some respects.

Yes, I personally thinkt he iPhone is lacking areas. But then, there's no doubt that the Pre/Pixie is as well. What makes competition so great is that each side is trying to come up with something that the other side doesn't have that users will want. That keeps us all as users, getting "new stuff".
    Well said.
    Care to elaborate exactly what you mean? In what sense exactly? I was trying to think what webOS' synergy provides that Android does not and I can't think of anything off the top of my head.
    Can't say what Android does or does not offer, but I can offer my opinion on what we're talking about with WebOS.

I'll use the example of one of my friends, Chris E. He has information on Facebook and LinkedIn. I also have him in my Google account (it's actualy my domain, but a Google Domain account) with numbers (such as his home number) that don't show up in either Facebook or Linkedin.

All of the contact informations shows up together when I call his name up in my contact list. If I wanted to, I could edit the information in either of my Google accounts directly from the contacts app. The email address that he uses only for job and contract information (which he only lists in Linkedin) is there. His profile pictures from both Linked in and Facebook show up, and the system (meaning WebOS's app) allows me to choose which I prefer as his contact. If/when he changes his information in Linkedin, I don't do anything to update it in my Pre, it's just there. Same with Facebook.

Multiply this times about 300, and it's a pretty nice system. I can't think of the last time I've had to edit a user, other than adding them the first time.

And to bring this back around to the original post, I don't think Apple even begins to approach this type of synergy.
    In fact, there are some nice extras with HTC Sense on Android.

Example: When people call me, in addition to seeing their pic, name and number, I also see their Facebook status. I got a call from someone the other day who I hadn't spoken with in a while and his status read "Thanks for all the birthday wishes everyone." I had forgotten to post a bday message on his wall, but was able to answer the call with "Happy birthday old man. What's up?" #CameInHandy
    Now that I like. I hope WebOS catches up to this one.
    Considering the iPad has been holding strong at around ~55,000 devices sold daily for a few months now, I think it's safe to say this isn't a "new device surge".

The article was somewhat poorly worded. It's better to say that in one quarter, 7% of all global pc sales were iPad's. That's pretty impressive.
    I agree, it's impressive. However, if that continues, the iPad's global market share will remain at 7%.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think it's because the functionality Android, webOS, and whatever RIM is doing on a slate currently exist (in public) in the imagination of potential users while iOS on the iPad is a known quantity to everyone. So, imaginary features such as seamless integration or whatever one fantasizes that a device can do are usually attributed to the unreleased operating systems. The limitations of these devices are only apparent with existing devices - like the iPad. The potential of unreleased devices is usually unlimited.
    Nope, that couldn't be it. The OP specifically mentioned the iPhone, so the OP had nothing to do with an OS that "exist in the imagination of potential users".

WebOS has been around a while now in real life. Long enough for Apple to begin copying some of the features. That was the point of the OP.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast