Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    In three quarters, iPad captured ~7% of the global PC market. iPads Are Already 7% Of Global PC Market
    Pretty impressive.
    In three quarters, iPad captured ~7% of the global PC market. iPads Are Already 7% Of Global PC Market
    Impressive. i do think the HP guy that was on cnbc during CES said (could have been the ceo i don't remember). He said laptops and desktops weren't going away because they are mainly creation platforms and tablets are largely consumption. There are obviously exceptions but i think to a large degree that's fair.

I can't see like the masses of people in offices in manhattan, or tokyo or whatever all ditching laptops of desktops for tablets. It's hard to type on, it's not as powerful, it lacks the storage. Let's say you're working as a feature film editor it you need lots of space to store and edit in real time.

I think they are great in some circumstances. like i saw audio recording tablet software. that would be creation and thus an exception to the HP guy's idea. but i doubt people will ditch state of the art recording studios for that anytime soon. great for the little guy at home though. So i think the tablet space is evolving, i think there is some overlap, but for a lot of the business space they need a workhorse desktop or laptop/something they con just sit at and grind out work. And an ipad (or whatever) doesn't work as good as a powerful desktop.

but if tablets are largely about consumption like the HP guy said the big hurdle i see even with the leak of the HP palm pad is without a wealth of apps you've only got the basics to consumer: surf the web, probably an ebook reader, music and some video. But the latter two i don't really think webos has great apps for or that sort of integrated sexy ecosystem that apple has with itunes and downloads.
    Can't imagine that I would want to have a phone a tablet and a laptop, too much stuff. Give me a small convertible with the capabilities of a laptop and the battery life of a tablet and call it a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Impressive. i do think the HP guy that was on cnbc during CES said (could have been the ceo i don't remember). He said laptops and desktops weren't going away because they are mainly creation platforms and tablets are largely consumption. There are obviously exceptions but i think to a large degree that's fair.

I can't see like the masses of people in offices in manhattan, or tokyo or whatever all ditching laptops of desktops for tablets. It's hard to type on, it's not as powerful, it lacks the storage. Let's say you're working as a feature film editor it you need lots of space to store and edit in real time.

I think they are great in some circumstances. like i saw audio recording tablet software. that would be creation and thus an exception to the HP guy's idea. but i doubt people will ditch state of the art recording studios for that anytime soon. great for the little guy at home though. So i think the tablet space is evolving, i think there is some overlap, but for a lot of the business space they need a workhorse desktop or laptop/something they con just sit at and grind out work. And an ipad (or whatever) doesn't work as good as a powerful desktop.

but if tablets are largely about consumption like the HP guy said the big hurdle i see even with the leak of the HP palm pad is without a wealth of apps you've only got the basics to consumer: surf the web, probably an ebook reader, music and some video. But the latter two i don't really think webos has great apps for or that sort of integrated sexy ecosystem that apple has with itunes and downloads.
    Oh, I think we'll get there in time. I'm seeing people do more and more with their iPads (not that iPads will be the only game in town). For example, one of the PMs at work keeps his dock and keyboard handy. For serious writing, he uses it that way. For things like note taking in meetings, checking emails, etc., he goes without the peripherals. I can see solid state drives creeping into these types of devices coupled with cloud storage. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that tablets will be as powerful or as minimal as we want them to be in the future.

With the exception of software development, I can do almost everything on the iPad that I can do on my laptop these days. I have the Apple bluetooth keyboard that I pair when I intend on typing extensively.

I still prefer a nice desktop/laptop for a lot of things, but tablets these days aren't as 'limiting' as most believe. They're pretty extendable.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    LOL

You make a statement, but can't back it up with facts.

Just another example of the crap that people say on this forum that they just make up with their imagination.

So, I'll ask anyone...

Explain to me how iOS is outdated compared to webOS.

I would like real world examples and how it would effect a typical user, not a geek that tinkers with their phone.
    I'd love to tackle this one. Let's keep it civil, though. And let's not move the goal post, and call anything I bring up "geeky". There are tons of usability advantages that WebOS has.

Now whether it "affects" users is another thing. Users learn to live within the limitations of the devices that they use. That doesn't mean they aren't behind another technology... so before we start, if we can agree to be civil, I can easily start listing many ways that iPhone is behind other OSes (and specifically WebOS).
    Quote Originally Posted by mateo2 View Post
    I'd love to tackle this one. Let's keep it civil, though. And let's not move the goal post, and call anything I bring up "geeky". There are tons of usability advantages that WebOS has.

Now whether it "affects" users is another thing. Users learn to live within the limitations of the devices that they use. That doesn't mean they aren't behind another technology... so before we start, if we can agree to be civil, I can easily start listing many ways that iPhone is behind other OSes (and specifically WebOS).
    I'm game! I'm always interested in hearing someones take on something.
    With the exception of software development, I can do almost everything on the iPad that I can do on my laptop these days. I have the Apple bluetooth keyboard that I pair when I intend on typing extensively.

I still prefer a nice desktop/laptop for a lot of things, but tablets these days aren't as 'limiting' as most believe. They're pretty extendable.
    the fact that you can do stuff doesn't mean it's preferable. I can ride my bike to the grocery store but i'd rather drive.

I'm not saying nobody will replace a desktop with a tablet. I'm saying that most people on i see commenting on that idea only look at it from a narrow perspective of their own lives or work. Or specifically only a consumer perspective. Especially in "tech" circles. They may not necessarily be in places where every person is doing "serious writing" or intensive computer work. Like note taking is fine but i have to write. Hundreds and hundreds of pages. i work with lawyers and clients and draft and edit contracts. Nobody's writing a 90 page brief or editing a contract on an ipad unless it's an emergency cause it's just a pain to try to type that much on a fake keyboard.

Like i just got back from my bank. there were about 10 computers. I'm sure they could make software for a tablet buy i don't see any reason why they'd want to. There's no need for mobility at that bank. The tellers don't need to walk around. I'm not saying there is no benefit. But i doubt the LA times will decide not to buy more laptops in favor of giving everyone tablets.

I got several friends that do marketing and one has an ipad. but all his actual work, in his job, he does on a computer. the creation of materials, the art work, the writing and pre for client presentations, the letters and correspondence go through his regular computer.

I'm just saying walk through the offices, floor to floor in corporate America and look at how many darn desktops and laptops their are. I just don't think laptops and desktops aren't going anywhere anytime in the near future. For HP's sake i hope he's right cause the future i still think is ipads and possibly android tablets.

as a side note my friend said he barely uses his ipad anymore. "it was an impulse buy. I probably don't really need it."
    sorry if i contributed to getting this off topic. Back to the utterly outdated OS that is IOS that will never ever ever catch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm not sure how you can say this. Unless Sprint or T Mobile exclusively picks up the new HP devices, they will sit side-by-side iPads and iPhones at practically any retail outlet. On this and every continent. How can you say they aren't in the same race?
    Apple doesn't see it that way. By the time Bill Gates got the zune shipping, Apple rolled them into phones. By the time they got their head into the phone game, Apple was off delivering millions of iPads. As far as apple is concerned, there isn't anyone else in the race.

But I see what you are saying to some extent... maybe a better analogy would be that Apple is the NFL and by the time everyone else is a red shirt freshman and then plays 4 years, Apple won't be playing football any more.

They know where the puck is going because they are the one shooting, everyone else gets there late or not at all. I'm convinced that Steve Jobs and Ashten Kutcher have both made made deals with the devil... neither of them can be THAT good, can they?
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Can't imagine that I would want to have a phone a tablet and a laptop, too much stuff. Give me a small convertible with the capabilities of a laptop and the battery life of a tablet and call it a day.
    I have that now. It's a 13" netbook, a little bit over 3 pounds and it has a 9 hour battery.
    the fact that you can do stuff doesn't mean it's preferable. I can ride my bike to the grocery store but i'd rather drive.

Not going to fully quote since it's quite long.

But yes, I know what you mean and for many, the practicality isn't quite there yet but it's heading in that direction and may very well soon be there most.

A lot of people have this preconceived notion of what a tablet can and can't do, or more specifically, what they can and can't do (I'm more or less speaking about the iPad here).

Take my fiance for example. A complete non-technie.

After the iPad was released and I picked one up, I would occasionally ask her what her thoughts on the iPad were; her response was typically "it's neat but I would never want or need one."

She went on a trip to South America for work in October, her laptop had just been rendered useless about a week before so she asked if she could borrow my iPad for the trip.

To make a long story short: when she returned home, I asked how the iPad worked out for her. Her response was sweet and simple – "I was completely wrong about it."

She said she was more productive on it than she would have been with her laptop. I asked her to explain and to my surprise, she couldn't. She said the experience is just completely different, it was a complete joy to use.

So, the moral of the story, it's a device not for everyone but it certainly has its place. I think people are quickly beginning to realize this and the sales clearly indicate that.
    I'm not saying nobody will replace a desktop with a tablet. I'm saying that most people on i see commenting on that idea only look at it from a narrow perspective of their own lives or work. Or specifically only a consumer perspective. Especially in "tech" circles. They may not necessarily be in places where every person is doing "serious writing" or intensive computer work. Like note taking is fine but i have to write. Hundreds and hundreds of pages. i work with lawyers and clients and draft and edit contracts. Nobody's writing a 90 page brief or editing a contract on an ipad unless it's an emergency cause it's just a pain to try to type that much on a fake keyboard.
    Do keep in mind that things were similar for a while with laptops. It used to be that you only needed a laptop for mobility but a desktop for the heavy lifting. Now, there are entire floors in corporate buildings with no desktops. When I first started in this industry, there was a laptop on every desk. Now when I get a new contract, I'm either issues a laptop by the client or I provide my own. On my last 2 contracts (last 3-4 years), hardly anyone at the clients used desktops.

I don't think this change will happen over night, but tablets will get more and more powerful and the accessories will get better and better. I think tablets will soon become the standard and laptops/desktops the niche.
    Quote Originally Posted by mateo2 View Post

I have only one question and then I'll excuse myself. Are you planning on discussing both sides?

I ask because it is easy to list some things that one OS does better and claim it is ahead of the pack while ignoring the things that others do better. So I'm curious about the balance that will accompany the civil. I'll sit back and read what you guys write. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I have only one question and then I'll excuse myself. Are you planning on discussing both sides?

I ask because it is easy to list some things that one OS does better and claim it is ahead of the pack while ignoring the things that others do better. So I'm curious about the balance that will accompany the civil. I'll sit back and read what you guys write. Thanks.
    I know I'm not discussing all the features of the two platforms but rather just one specific feature, but our discussion earlier has lead me personally to conclude that I will not begin to consider any platform for my phone that does not offer an equivalent synergy service. That is a seamless automatic OTA back up of contacts, calender and email.
    I hadn't realised before earlier how important that was to me.

So yes, I do believe that Apple and others need to catch up in that respect.

Here's a challenge to you though, find me one thing that an iphone can do, that the pre doesnt, that would be fundamental to my use? I can tell you that in all the time I've spent with ios I've not found anything that I miss when coming back to webOS.
    Last edited by pip smith; 01/24/2011 at 09:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I know I'm not discussing all the features of the two platforms but rather just one specific feature, but our discussion earlier has lead me personally to conclude that I will not begin to consider any platform for my phone that does not offer an equivalent synergy service. That is a seamless automatic OTA back up of contacts, calender and email.

I hear you on that. I felt the same way with my Pre because I really hate being tethered to anything. I honestly believe webOS had the market cornered on synergy during my year with the Pre. The funny thing is, when I moved from the Pre to the Evo, all my contacts, calendar and email with me, OTA. My synergy experience (if I can call it that) is better on Android. It is one of the reasons I prefer Android over iOS but I don't consider that to mean iOS is less advanced because of it. Apple simply wants you locked into "their" ecosystem. That's just my thinking. (sorry for throwing Android into the mix here; it was meant purely as an example) My stance is not that iOS is not missing "anything". Every OS is missing something that another OS has. I even started a thread on what people would pull from various OSes to form their perfect OS if they could because of this very point. My stance is, iOS is not "behind" and does not "need to catch up" in the sense that Windows is behind Linux (sorry Windows fans).

Here's a challenge to you though, find me one thing that an iphone can do, that the pre doesnt, that would be fundamental to my use? I can tell you that in all the time I've spent with ios Ilve found anything that I miss when coming back to webOS.
    I can list things that iOS can do right now that webOS can't, but I can't know if they are "fundamental to your use". Fair?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I hear you on that. I felt the same way with my Pre because I really hate being tethered to anything. I honestly believe webOS had the market cornered on synergy during my year with the Pre. The funny thing is, when I moved from the Pre to the Evo, all my contacts, calendar and email with me, OTA. My synergy experience (if I can call it that) is better on Android. It is one of the reasons I prefer Android over iOS but I don't consider that to mean iOS is less advanced because of it. Apple simply wants you locked into "their" ecosystem. That's just my thinking. (sorry for throwing Android into the mix here; it was meant purely as an example) My stance is not that iOS is not missing "anything". Every OS is missing something that another OS has. I even started a thread on what people would pull from various OSes to form their perfect OS if they could because of this very point. My stance is, iOS is not "behind" and does not "need to catch up" in the sense that Windows is behind Linux (sorry Windows fans).
    Using Android is a perfect example, I'm just sad to say that its the platform that I've had least experience on. I really couldn't get used to it at the time and didn't have the time to learn a new operating. For me, I look at the fundamentals and then look what does the other things better. But right now synergy has made it into my fundamental list, so I still think iOS needs to get somehting moving to that. However multitasking I see more as a feature. So I could live with iOS' implementation even if I did prefer webOS'.
    Have you got a link to that thread, probably an interesting read.

I can list things that iOS can do right now that webOS can't, but I can't know if they are "fundamental to your use". Fair?
    Don't worry, it was a trick question. I'd still be using my iPhone as my main device if there was something fundamental. So ye fair.
    Have you got a link to that thread, probably an interesting read.
    It did't gain much traction, but here it is anyway: http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...mobile-os.html

Here's a challenge to you though, find me one thing that an iphone can do, that the pre doesnt, that would be fundamental to my use? I can tell you that in all the time I've spent with ios I've not found anything that I miss when coming back to webOS.
    That's now standard on Android as of 2.2.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    That's now standard on Android as of 2.2.
    Android offers fewer services than Synergy though.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast