1.    #1  
    My Palm Pre is having serious problems. I'm still on contract with Sprint, although eligible for an upgrade with Sprint Premiere. I absolutely love webos and am really disappointed that I can't get another one. The pixi is an option, but it seems like a step down from my Pre. What should I get?

I would prefer a keyboard
    Evo Shift is a no go, because of it's underpowered processor

Follow-up question, is Sprint releasing a new phone in the next 30 days? Can I conceivably buy one of the phones and return it in 30 days for a different one?
  2.    #2  
    I've done my research, but didn't know that fact. Sheesh.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

THE INTERNET. SERIOUS BUSINESS.
    Whats wrong with your phone? Have you tried doctoring it?
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Regarding processor speed, check out this side by side video of the Evo vs Evo Shift. (about 5+min into the video for test)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxI8vG6wT8g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Still, I would wait til Feb 9 then decide imo. Yes, you have 30 days to return any phone but I believe there is a $35 restocking fee..
    If your Pre is dead, you can get a phone today and return it if something betters comes out in the next 30 days. One of the nice things about Sprint.

I suggest that you go to a Sprint store or a Best Buy and take all the time you like trying out the phones. Only you will know what feels right to you.

I also thought I had to have a physical keyboard but it turns out that you can type so much faster on the new virtual keyboards...
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I love my Pre keyboard. I really do. But I am so much faster on my EVO with Swype. It is Swype that keeps setting the new World texting speed record.

But then I tried SwiftKey. Oh my. It is so much faster.

What is faster than typing?

Not typing.

In the car, I use the SwiftKey speech to text for messages and emails. (Typing in a car is illegal in 30 states.)

But the keyboard is the magic. SwiftKey learns how you write. It starts by learning your patterns in your previous texts. Then as time goes by it get better and better at guessing what your next word will be. It is so good that sometimes it suggests a better word than what you were originally thinking!

Until 1/18/11, you can still enroll in SwiftKey's free beta. On the 18th the new beta cycle begins. I cannot wait to see what comes next!

Right now even if we had new webOS hardware, we do not know if HP will allow the API's to be opened up to allow keyboards, speech to text, voice commands, or third party music, camera, calendar, email, and messaging apps.

I hope that HP not only announces new hardware on 2/9/11, but the ability for developers to use it.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Regarding processor speed, check out this side by side video of the Evo vs Evo Shift. (about 5+min into the video for test)

Still, I would wait til Feb 9 then decide imo. Yes, you have 30 days to return any phone but I believe there is a $35 restocking fee..
    Agree. There are no issues with the EVO Shift being slow at all. Check out the sister site Android Central first hands on with the Shift. It's definitely fast enough and will likely be more efficient with the battery due to the smaller screen size and processor qualities compared to the EVO. I went to EVO and have been amazed at how quickly I got used to the keyboard - the nice thing is that it's wide and super easy to type on, but I think the Shift I'd use the hard keyboard more since you need to extra EVO width to be fast on a virtual keyboard. I've also been surprised at how good my EVO battery is after I changed just a few settings. It runs circles around my wife's Pre, which is quickly dying an untimely death.

Honestly, what I would love to have is that new Blackberry Dakota that is getting photo news today, but running WebOS. If I could have a WebOS tablet (which it sounds like is coming on Feb 9) and a nice front qwerty non-slider touch screen WebOS device...that would make me a happy camper.

I've always wanted a newer, slightly larger, faster version of the Treo Pro or Treo 800 design running WebOS. Touch screen, removable battery and memory card, nice keyboard, thin design, fast processor and good battery life. How hard is that?? C'mon HP.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    i bought a sprint pixi on ebay and really like it more than the pre. pretty cheap and doesnt extend your contract if you tell them not to
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Get a galaxy tab and convert your plan for a data one? You'll have a 25 a month "phone" with skype or whatever.
    Yeah get a pixi or pre off ebay.

I have a pixi or pre (some light scratches) for $60

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    My pre died about a week ago, and i didn't have insurance on it. I went to my local sprint store and explained the problem and they offered to get me a replacement pre if i paid $35. I got a new pre a three days later. I recommend that you go to your local sprint store and ask for a replacement unit.
    ya I just had a pixi replaced for the same price. I wonder if they are clearing inventory for something!
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for all of the recommendations everyone. It helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by the13th View Post
    My pre died about a week ago, and i didn't have insurance on it. I went to my local sprint store and explained the problem and they offered to get me a replacement pre if i paid $35. I got a new pre a three days later. I recommend that you go to your local sprint store and ask for a replacement unit.
    This is what I'm planning on doing today. 35 bucks sounds great. Did it extend your contract?
    or ebay they have alot of sprint pres for around 20-50 dollars just look at the condition of them. Most are sold by alltechwireless, I bought a few from them to upgrade and resell there phones are not too bad condition wise, but they tell you in detail whats wrong with each. You can also do what was recommended above buy a device and use the 30 day return policy through sprint, or Best Buys buy back program. honestly the Android phones are very nice, I had a Evo and was impressed, I just preferred the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    My Palm Pre is having serious problems. I'm still on contract with Sprint, although eligible for an upgrade with Sprint Premiere. I absolutely love webos and am really disappointed that I can't get another one. The pixi is an option, but it seems like a step down from my Pre. What should I get?

I would prefer a keyboard
    Evo Shift is a no go, because of it's underpowered processor

Follow-up question, is Sprint releasing a new phone in the next 30 days? Can I conceivably buy one of the phones and return it in 30 days for a different one?
    Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    I've done my research, but didn't know that fact. Sheesh.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

THE INTERNET. SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Was a post removed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post

Was a post removed?
    Yea mine was. For reasons unknown.
  16.    #16  
    Went to the Sprint store and they're giving me a new (presumably refurbished) pre for only $37.80. So happy I can stay in the WebOS world.

Thanks for all the input. I tried out the EVO and it seems really good.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Get a GRT case and a zagg screen protector if you want it to last a long time. the zagg works well underneath the case (keeps dust from geting in there and scratching the screen) and only costs $5 on zagg.com. it is a bit big for my taste. That's why i got a pixi eventually
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  18.    #18  
    I bought the zagg cover earlier and had a heck of a time applying it. Yeah, I have minor scratches, but having a case when in the pocket minimizes problems. Thanks for the advice.
    Get a EVO seriously they are so so much better than the pre..as a former pre user trust me on this..it will take a bit to get use to the multitasking since it isn't anywhere close to web os