Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    BroadbandBreakfast.com: 4G is 4G… Or Is It?

Scroll down to the survey of "respondents that selected 'Yes' to understanding 4G"...

They named their iphone 3G because it had added a 3G radio.
    They named their iphone 4G because... it makes good marketing sense, because AT LEAST 27% of "understanding" consumers will associate 4G with all the networks who talk about 4G.

4G is itself a marketing term that is meaningless. But Apple knew how to capitalize in a big way.

I wonder what they'll call their first actual LTE/WiMax phone, tho... prolly just the iPhone 4G LTE && iPhone 4G WiMax, no?
    They didnt name it iPhone 4G. They named it iPhone 4. People just started calling it 4G.
    apple makes great phones and they have put together a deep ecosystem for them. Their marketing is great too. Hope hp will do the same soon.
    It is the Apple Iphone 4 not Iphone4g, however i think they timed it good because, the next iPhone if it has 4g data doesn't need to be called the Iphone 5 they could just call it the Iphone 4g, then maybe the next year the Iphone 4gs, and than go on to Iphone 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    They didnt name it iPhone 4G. They named it iPhone 4. People just started calling it 4G.
    but they did name the previous phone 3G, and for years people have referred to the iPod by which (g)eneration it is. I agree with the OP. Apple didn't do this directly, but they certainly expected it and managed to those expectations...

I was surprised that they VZW announcement wasn't for the iPhone5.
    This is wacky.
    I doubt they'd do that. The reason we never saw an "iPhone 2" is because they called it the "iPhone 3G" and skipped the number 2 for generation markers. The iPhone 5 is unlikely to have real 4G support because it's not mature enough for Apple's taste. Also I can't see Apple marketing skipping a generation number to go BACK to 4 for the 4G name.

Maybe if they skip the new phone release in the summer and go for a February release to line up with this year's Verizon release you might see them release an iPhone 4G instead of iPhone 5. That seems like a stretch though given that it means keeping the rest of the world waiting as well and the 4G networks still probably won't be mature enough for Apple's liking.
    There IS some sense to it though. Microsoft released the first version of Windows NT as 3.1 rather than 1.0. And they named their second console Xbox 360 to avoid the perception of being a generation behind the Playstation 3.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Good point. I think what's funny is that people started calling it 4G before it was even announced to be the iPhone 4.

I think Apple understands how to use confusion to their advantage!

People were referring to earlier iPhones as 2G, 3G, 3Gs, and NATURALLY... 4G could be presumed to be the next device, but Apple only calls it iPhone 4!

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I doubt they'd do that. The reason we never saw an "iPhone 2" is because they called it the "iPhone 3G" and skipped the number 2 for generation markers.
    We didn't see an iPhone 2, but as soon as the iPhone 3G was released, the original iPhone became ubiquitously known as the iPhone 2G... so what happened to the iPhone 1G?!?

The iPhone 5 is unlikely to have real 4G support because it's not mature enough for Apple's taste. Also I can't see Apple marketing skipping a generation number to go BACK to 4 for the 4G name.

Maybe if they skip the new phone release in the summer and go for a February release to line up with this year's Verizon release you might see them release an iPhone 4G instead of iPhone 5. That seems like a stretch though given that it means keeping the rest of the world waiting as well and the 4G networks still probably won't be mature enough for Apple's liking.
    Precisely.

I think using iPhone 4G is TOO confusing considering the iPhone 4 is already referred to by just about everybody as the iPhone 4G. If somebody says, "Oh, I got the new iPhone 4G"... people will be like, "Psshh... that thing came out 12-18 months ago!!"

Apple knows how to use confusion to their advantage.
    grndslm, I think you're trying to re-write history with your supposed popular name changes of the iPhone models. Also I have NEVER heard a single person refer to the iPhone 4 as the "iPhone 4G". I've seen maybe 3 people type it out to refer to it, you included, but not once have i heard spoken the name "iPhone 4G" to refer to the iPhone 4.

I have however heard the name "iTouch" spoken several times as well as "iTouch 4g", "iPod touch 4g", and other varients for the iPod touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Good point. I think what's funny is that people started calling it 4G before it was even announced to be the iPhone 4.

I think Apple understands how to use confusion to their advantage!

People were referring to earlier iPhones as 2G, 3G, 3Gs, and NATURALLY... 4G could be presumed to be the next device, but Apple only calls it iPhone 4!

We didn't see an iPhone 2, but as soon as the iPhone 3G was released, the original iPhone became ubiquitously known as the iPhone 2G... so what happened to the iPhone 1G?!?

Precisely.

I think using iPhone 4G is TOO confusing considering the iPhone 4 is already referred to by just about everybody as the iPhone 4G. If somebody says, "Oh, I got the new iPhone 4G"... people will be like, "Psshh... that thing came out 12-18 months ago!!"

Apple knows how to use confusion to their advantage.

They could just the new 4g iphone the "Iphone 4GS" and be done with it.
    grndslm, I think you're trying to re-write history with your supposed popular name changes of the iPhone models. Also I have NEVER heard a single person refer to the iPhone 4 as the "iPhone 4G". I've seen maybe 3 people type it out to refer to it, you included, but not once have i heard spoken the name "iPhone 4G" to refer to the iPhone 4.

I have however heard the name "iTouch" spoken several times as well as "iTouch 4g", "iPod touch 4g", and other varients for the iPod touch.
    actually i hear the 4g mistake quite often
    *awaits confusion upon an actual 4G iphone release*
  14.    #14  
    NEVER heard it, yet you've seen it 3 times... OK!

I don't follow Apple news, but I have seen *and* heard "iPhone 4G" FAR MORE TIMES than I've seen or heard "iPhone 4", because I haven't looked at apple.com since the first iPhone came out.

#
    364 days and counting to iPhone 4G | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews
    Jun 19, 2009 ... If history is any indication, we have less than year to go before we see a new iPhone. Let the official countdown begin.
    reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-10268916-82.html - Cached - Similar
    #
    10 reasons not to buy Apple's new iPhone 4G - Telegraph
    Jun 3, 2010 ... Apple's iPhone is a triumph of marketing over functionality, and the new model won't be any different.
    http://forums.precentral.net/www.tel...iPhone-4G.html - Add to iGoogle
    #
    10 Reasons not to Buy Next iPhone 4G / HD | Gadgets DNA
    May 2, 2010 ... iPhone 4G images and videos might have enticed many users to buy it, but there are certain reasons that might stop them to actually go for ...
    http://forums.precentral.net/www.gad...ne-4g.../2757/ - Cached
    #
    Apple iPhone 4G - GSMArena.com
    Jan 10, 2011 ... But now Moto goes to the next level with Moto Atrix 4G for AT&T. What makes it better than iphone 4G. The 2Ghz dual core, 1Gb Ram, . ...
    Apple iPhone 4 - Full phone specifications - Cached
    Well, thanks for proving my point.

Now, don't try and tell me that you've never heard of the iPhone 2G before, either!!!

I'm not rewriting anything.
    I have never heard of the "iPhone 2G" before.

I'm going to make a wild prediction and say that most of the people here haven't heard of it either.
  16.    #16  
    Most people who are here follow Engadget and the like, where iPhone 2G was referenced fairly frequently...

With more than 5 million hits for "iphone 2G" on Google, I'm sure that others here have heard the name.

Want some more "rewriting of history"?? When the iPhone 3G was launched, there were hardly any AT&T markets with 3G actually available. I knew of several people who were eating up the "iPhone 3G" when they didn't even know whether their market had 3G or not!!

Considering the prices that Apple/ATT have been raping customers of, tho... they actually did build the network up fairly quickly.

There's just something backwards about the integrity of Apple that works for them. That's all I'm trying to point out. Take the statistics in the OP, for example... 27% of the respondents who "UNDERSTAND 4G", think of the new iPhone. Case closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I have never heard of the "iPhone 2G" before.

I'm going to make a wild prediction and say that most of the people here haven't heard of it either.

Watch this:

iPhone 2G
    But who actually calls it an iPhone 2G?

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Want some more "rewriting of history"?? When the iPhone 3G was launched, there were hardly any AT&T markets with 3G actually available. I knew of several people who were eating up the "iPhone 3G" when they didn't even know whether their market had 3G or not!!
    That's just nuts.

That's just nuts.
    the people that created those 11 million pages from the link I posted. I'm sure Apple didn't plan it, but they are sure leveraging it.
  20.    #20  

That's just nuts.
    Nobody calls the iPhone 2G at all...
    because it was first advertised to the world an entire 4 years ago!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast