Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the people that created those 11 million pages from the link I posted. I'm sure Apple didn't plan it, but they are sure leveraging it.
    Exactly.

Why would you call it 3G, and knowing full and well that your previous product instantly became the 2G.... keep it going with the 3Gs at your next iteration... and then come out with a 4?? ... if there's no G?!?!?

Why not name it the iPhone 3GS-R?

They wanted to use the 4 to confuse people when "4G" was already planted into their heads from presumptive, pre-release pundits (definitely no pun intended)... up to a year before its actual release. I honestly had no clue that the iPhone was NOT officially considered the "iPhone 4G" until today. Thanks for filling me in.

There's no way in hell that they'll call their LTE/WiMax phone 4G. They know when confusion is beneficial and when it hurts.
    You're thinking way too hard about it.

They called their second generation phone iPhone 3G because it was the first iPhone to support...you know...3G.

I promise you, they didn't hatch a plan back in 2008 to force the market to retroactively and unofficially rename the iPhone "iPhone 2G" so that they could have all their customers call their 2010 model "iPhone 4G."
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You're thinking way too hard about it.

They called their second generation phone iPhone 3G because it was the first iPhone to support...you know...3G.

I promise you, they didn't hatch a plan back in 2008 to force the market to retroactively and unofficially rename the iPhone "iPhone 2G" so that they could have all their customers call their 2010 model "iPhone 4G."
    Their plan was hatched in 2008 to release a 3G phone when hardly any ATT 3G existed. Their new plan in 2009, after seeing that the first iPhone became the 2G... was to lead people to believe that their next device would obviously become the 4G (i'm sure I can find a million articles with "iphone 4g" from 2009). It didn't originally get planned like that, but they roll with the buzz basically. They create it and don't stop rolling with that buzz -- all the way to the bank.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/15/2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: inappropriate comment deleted
    You might be on to something. Especially if the i in iPhone stands for Illuminati. I'd like to hear more about your theory so we can figure out how to thwart Apple's plans for world domination.

Before we get into that, do you think Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone?
    i don't hear anyone call it the iphone 4G.
  6.    #26  
    All I'd like to know is why wasn't the iPhone 3Gs called the iPhone 4??

It's a very key question. Apple, with their 1 phone a year methodology... knew precisely what they were doing.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i don't hear anyone call it the iphone 4G.
    Google search results for "iphone 4g" strictly from May 1, 2009 to January 1, 2010... a full 5 to 6 months before the iPhone 4 release date.

See that?? More than 2 million results.
  8.    #28  
    Even if Apple didn't plan it, which I highly doubt... otherwise the 3Gs would be the 4... Don't you think??

I can assure you that their marketing team is reading into statistics like this, and will not name their first TRUE 4G phone the iPhone 4G.

And if they truly don't name it as such, then perhaps they did plan out their 3Gs moniker, as a perfectly confusing name of the expected 4G, to which there would be no 4G at all, and actually just a 4, after it had already been predestined to be a 4G... so they SEEM honest about their name. It's like reverse psychological marketing.

You think Apple's marketing is based strictly on press releases? Gimme a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    All I'd like to know is why wasn't the iPhone 3Gs called the iPhone 4??

It's a very key question. Apple, with their 1 phone a year methodology... knew precisely what they were doing.
    Because the iPhone 3GS was the third iPhone.
  10.    #30  
    Because the iPhone 3GS was the third iPhone.
    Then why wasn't the 3G the iPhone 2??!?

It goes on and on forever, but perhaps the answers are really only surface-deep?
    Then why wasn't the 3G the iPhone 2??!?

It goes on and on forever, but perhaps the answers are really only surface-deep?
    Because the iPhone 3G had a major differentiating feature that was worth including in the name.

How do you feel about the CIA's mind control experiments?
  12.    #32  
    Because the iPhone 3G had a major differentiating feature that was worth including in the name.

How do you feel about the CIA's mind control experiments?
    Ask the Council on Foreign Relations...
    Google search results for "iphone 4g" strictly from May 1, 2009 to January 1, 2010... a full 5 to 6 months before the iPhone 4 release date.

See that?? More than 2 million results.
    That's google. that's not people I'm talking too. Nor that that prove the I have heard people say it cause I haven't. And if you notice every result on that page is dated in 2009. i looked through like 35 pages and no article is post launch. That's more then 5 months before the Iphone 4 was actually announced. That's before it had a official name. And it's full of fakes and photoshop mock ups. the 4th one is some guy passing a ipod touch off as a iphone 4 prototype. It was before the actual product was announced. I didn't claim there isn't someone doing it but i haven't heard a single person do that since the product was launched. That said. I don't go around discussing cell phones with people on a regular basis. Every person i've heard in passing says Iphone or Iphone 4. Sorry a bunch of old google speculative articles in 2009 before the product was actually announced is NOT what everyone is saying today.
    I hear "iPhone 4G" at least as often as I hear "iPhone 4," most commonly from iPhone owners themselves who don't understand or care what 3G or 4G means. Me being the go-to technology guy of the group, I am often asked, "should I upgrade my iPhone to the new iPhone 4G?" [facepalm]

And if you don't think Apple would leverage confusion to their advantage or plan things out years into the future, you really don't know Apple. They wouldn't have the best marketing department in the world if they didn't do those things. Look at who they are in bed with, AT&T, doing the exact same thing with their recent ad war with Verizon, comparing "coverage" against "3G coverage."

Hell I saw an actual AT&T 4G commercial the other day, and they are nowhere near ready for that. But hey, they have the iPhone4G and people want the 4Gs, so let's just throw the term around and see what happens. They don't have to commit to anything to get people to take notice, they just have to use the damn word.

Marketing departments do in fact consider these sorts of things and act on them. Anything that will help the brand and/or generate revenue. Anything.
    It isn’t the “G” as a suffix that gives the iPhone a marketing advantage, it’s the “i” prefix.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I hear "iPhone 4G" at least as often as I hear "iPhone 4," most commonly from iPhone owners themselves who don't understand or care what 3G or 4G means. Me being the go-to technology guy of the group, I am often asked, "should I upgrade my iPhone to the new iPhone 4G?" [facepalm]

And if you don't think Apple would leverage confusion to their advantage or plan things out years into the future, you really don't know Apple. They wouldn't have the best marketing department in the world if they didn't do those things. Look at who they are in bed with, AT&T, doing the exact same thing with their recent ad war with Verizon, comparing "coverage" against "3G coverage."

Hell I saw an actual AT&T 4G commercial the other day, and they are nowhere near ready for that. But hey, they have the iPhone4G and people want the 4Gs, so let's just throw the term around and see what happens. They don't have to commit to anything to get people to take notice, they just have to use the damn word.

Marketing departments do in fact consider these sorts of things and act on them. Anything that will help the brand and/or generate revenue. Anything.
    This is absolutely spot on. All of it.

I highly suggest others re-read your post a couple extra times.

Mentioning the ATT exclusivity is another brilliant move of Apple's. Never before were phones exclusive to one carrier for a RUMORED FIVE YEARS!!!!

Now... the fact that that rumor from 2007 was partly [or even wholly true considering what you define a year to be (four whole years, but covering parts of '07, '08, '09, '10, and '11 could be considered five years)]... is just more proof that Apple & ATT leaked this "rumor" themselves. Who else would know about it? Wouldn't such a rumor be beneficial to both Apple & ATT? WASN'T such a rumor beneficial to both Apple & ATT? (But really most beneficial to Apple, since iPod Touches don't count as a phone....I'm sure ATT didn't see that coming.)

How about the terms of their agreement were never leaked... wouldn't more Apple-lovers on "anybody but ATT" have stayed with their current carrier, expecting a T-Mob, VZ, Sprint iPhone any day now, instead of making the switch in such massive droves??

Apple knows precisely what they're doing.

They come up with a way to get people to buy their products in massive droves, so that the developers will have no question in their mind whether they will create apps for the iOS platform.

Palm did try to imitate a lot and not focus on their own creations, which were totally worthy of their own advertisements, but again... Palm didn't find these creations worthy themselves, and found it better to outsource advertisement creation. Tisk tisk.

Palm's imitation of the iPhone exclusivity deal was a total bust, too... because (1) there was no generated rumor of how long the Sprint-Pre exclusivity would last, and (2) there was absolutely nothing restricting VZ from mentioning they'd have the Pre only 7 months after it launched on Sprint.

Apple WIN
    Palm FAIL

I just don't understand how one company can make so many awesome marketing decisions and succeed... and another company THINKS they'll succeed by not following those awesome marketing decisions to a T.
    This is absolutely spot on. All of it.

I highly suggest others re-read your post a couple extra times.

Mentioning the ATT exclusivity is another brilliant move of Apple's. Never before were phones exclusive to one carrier for a RUMORED FIVE YEARS!!!!

How about the terms of their agreement were never leaked... wouldn't more Apple-lovers on "anybody but ATT" have stayed with their current carrier, expecting a T-Mob, VZ, Sprint iPhone any day now, instead of making the switch in such massive droves??

Apple knows precisely what they're doing.

I quoted a part of your last post that I think is ridiculous. How is ATT exclusivity a "brilliant move" for apple. It is in apples best interests to sell their Iphone to everyone that wants one, there are plenty of people who either cannot or will not go to ATT, but want the Iphone. Those are lost customers for apple.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    I quoted a part of your last post that I think is ridiculous. How is ATT exclusivity a "brilliant move" for apple. It is in apples best interests to sell their Iphone to everyone that wants one, there are plenty of people who either cannot or will not go to ATT, but want the Iphone. Those are lost customers for apple.
    It is in Apple's best interest to MAXIMIZE PROFIT.

... not to get one in hand of every man, woman, & child (as appealing as that sounds).
    ... not to pay developers to use their platform.
    ... not to deal with each of the hundreds of individual carriers worldwide, customizing X quantity of phones with X radio chips, X radio freqs, X antennas, etc.

Why the exclusivity was a brilliant move...

• Apple led ATT to believe that they would be the only receiver of the iPhone. This is only partly true, because the iPod Touch is virtually the same thing, minus the radio, and it sold at least 3 or 4 times as much as the iPhone did by my last count a year ago or so.
    • For every customer that purchased an iPhone with a SUPER GOUGING RATE PLAN from ATT, Apple was making an additional $200 for a good while, until the terms had to be reworked, because ATT just couldn't keep up with the demand for the iPhone.
    • They only had to build ONE device and were left entirely to build iOS up and out from there forward.
    • Having a GSM carrier exclusive means that they only have to come up with ONE redesign every year.
    • All those on CDMA carriers could still buy iPod Touches if they want, not a huge loss over an iPhone, really.
    • Next month... there will be a whole new buzz about the iPhone 4, even tho it presents nothing new, other than a CDMA radio! WOW... the phone's been out for nearly 4 years, and A CDMA RADIO GENERATES ALL THIS BUZZ??? Some people will inevitably eat it up because they were tied to VZ for work, family, or whatever other reason... and they'll likely get it for no other reason than because it's been generating buzz for the 4 prior years that they couldn't understand, but now can understand. (Etymologically, "understand" means "to stand in the midst of")

If there's ONE THING that you should recognize, Apple is EXTREMELY methodical. There is no company on earth that is even REMOTELY as methodical as Apple.

---------------------

TL;DR - Apple basically "set it and forget it" when it came to the first few generations of the iPhone... just once per year. They came up with a pretty nice deal, where they were really making $800 + other perks from ATT for every phone that ATT pushed for them [+ eventually the App Store came to be]. That deal also didn't mention anything about iPod Touches or similar, so there wasn't much consideration for ATT's "paid exclusive" (which amounts to more than just $800+ per iPhone)... very sneaky if you ask me. Now that they've got all the bugs worked out, and less people are switching to ATT... the agreement ends and VZ will easily net about 10-20 million users from ATT in the next few years.

TL;DR (Remix) - They did the least amount of work possible for 4 years and got so much money on the side, I'm hardpressed to see how someone could not consider it brilliant in terms of business, profit, $$$....

And the real clincher is that the success of Apple on ATT couldn't have been as successful, if it weren't for the leaked agreement between the two!!
    Couldn't agree more with everything grndlsm has said on this entire thread. Damn well said.
  20.    #40  
    Another thing that I forgot to mention is that the long-term exclusivity deal allowed them to maximize profits in another way, pulling in NEW customers generates MORE commission from ATT.

So, now that ATT is played out... they hop on VZ, and they maximize their NEW customer commission profits from people jumping ship yet again, some returning back from ATT! If Apple released their phone on all 4 carriers, then there would be no extra commission for pulling in "new customers".

This is why some sellers on ebay will pop up with super nice phones for FREE w/ "brand new" account & 2-yr agreement... they're making like $300 from getting you to sign that contract. HP did the same thing with Palm's phones. Let 'em all go for FREE if you're a new customer. But they're still making at least $300 a pop off that contract.

dollar sign,
    dollar sign,
    dollar sign...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast