Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    <edited to reflect thread purpose>

This is the thread for commenting on the Win7 catalog and announcing when it reaches a new milestone such at 8,000 or 10,000 or 200,000.

Threads about the Win7 app market will be merged here. Cheers!

Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/12/2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: OP reflecting merged threads
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Only 296,000 to catch up with Apple then!

At 2,000 a month they should be there by 2023!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    geez hp palm.

lets go already.
    It would be interesting to be able to browse though the catalog and see how many of those are crap-ware.
    there a greater percentage of crap apps in webos then iOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    It would be interesting to be able to browse though the catalog and see how many of those are crap-ware.
    I don't know how to filter and sort the Windows Market but you can with the Android Market on AppBrain. Here are the most downloaded Android apps. You can then look in each of the 22 categories, and see just the free apps. You can do the same thing with ratings. Most apps I use are in the top 30 in their categories. Most of my 120 apps are free but I have spent $51 but have sent a number of donations as well.
    Overall number really doesn't matter....just having a quality selection of certain category of apps. Other apps are niche apps which helps. But at like 300K or however many apple has.....i can only imagine how many repeat twitter apps there are when everyone i know with an iphone uses the official twitter app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Overall number really doesn't matter....just having a quality selection of certain category of apps. Other apps are niche apps which helps. But at like 300K or however many apple has.....i can only imagine how many repeat twitter apps there are when everyone i know with an iphone uses the official twitter app.
    well said, im all for quality instead of quanity. I wouldnt mind maybe 50k apps, as long as it has every app most people will be using, a nice size of games, etc. I believe this is what HP, and WP7 needs to focus on instead of chasing Iphones half mill apps. Even right now on the Pre, I have everything I need app wise. Yes I could use a handfull of apps that is not currently available (and who knows if it will be), but for the most part I have everything I need, and use on a daily basis.
    Yeah, once any app store hits 10K i think MOST people would be satisfied (not counting games and such..just normal apps).

Hell, even with my Evo now, trying to learn about the great apps so late into coming into it is tough. I mean, i suppose its a good problem to have....but i think the app race of 2009 has really died on the marketing side of things.
    WP7applist - Windows Phone 7 apps news, reviews, deals, price drops

You can browse the WP7 app catalog there. WebOS has a lot of catching up to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    WP7applist - Windows Phone 7 apps news, reviews, deals, price drops

You can browse the WP7 app catalog there. WebOS has a lot of catching up to do.
    Catching up? how? I went through a bunch of pages of apps and saw nothing we don't already have on webOS, not to mention I saw they have the same issues of having multiple versions fo the same app, like 10 different Top 25 Cocktails and 7 different Bible apps.

Other than the Netflix and IMDb apps, I don't see anything that stands out as unique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhephree View Post
    Catching up? how? I went through a bunch of pages of apps and saw nothing we don't already have on webOS, not to mention I saw they have the same issues of having multiple versions fo the same app, like 10 different Top 25 Cocktails and 7 different Bible apps.

Other than the Netflix and IMDb apps, I don't see anything that stands out as unique.
    Well, for one, they have momentum as evidenced by the speed they got there, whereas WebOS is pretty much inert. The raw numbers being equivalent just show that one platform is currently active, whereas the other is not. And HP has to get 2.0.x distributed to all of its handsets before that's going even start to change. While they're stuck in neutral, WP7 is speeding ahead.

Then, they have some biggies like Shazam and Netflix that WebOS doesn't have and aint getting any time soon.

Additionally, they have better development tools and a non-beta SDK.

Finally, their devices are in stores all over the place this holiday season, and currently being heavily promoted on TV. HP's barely are.

Lots of fronts to fight on there...
    It's not to say crap ware can't exist on Windows Phone 7, but I have gone through many of the apps and have been impressed with their overall quality. I haven't even found a fart app yet.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Its only month 2 as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I find that hard to believe

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I think HP will be fine along with WP7 (apps, development etc). I don't think Apple will have a challenge from either 2, but I do think android will if both companys execute things right. Just looking at how fast android advanced with apps, it is very possiable for these two to do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I find that hard to believe
    Yeah, the App Store has some shamelessly bad shovelware.

The thing is, though, the good apps for iOS are so much better than the best offerings for webOS that it sort of mitigates the junk that pollutes the App Store.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I agree in principal that a mere number is not the most important. For example if say, apple's store has 100k apps and 10000k good apps well theoretically an android store with the same 10000k good apps would be doing pretty good. the problem is what qualifies as good may vary from person to person.

I think what a raw number of apps indicates is choice by the consumer. if you don't do finance you probably don't care about cnbc apps, or ameritade or similar. if you're not a musician the hundreds of music production apps may not matter to you at all. People have so many varied interests and they all arent' going to be slingbox, netflix, facebook, and twitter. Some person may want ebay, amazon, LA Lakers app, Chevy Chase Bank, Allscripts (medical records app), etc. None of that stuff may matter to plenty of other people. You want lots of apps because you want a ton of choice for people and you want to appeal to the wide range of interests that people have. To the extent that large numbers of apps indicates large numbers of choice for consumers i think the mere number is instructive though not the only concern.

Mere numbers of apps is also a peak into how much interest there is in building apps for that platform and the measurable results of that interest.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    i know there is a way to do it through bing because i've done it before. But honestly, i followed a link in a wpcentral article and don't really know how to get back. I also don't think it shows everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i know there is a way to do it through bing because i've done it before. But honestly, i followed a link in a wpcentral article and don't really know how to get back. I also don't think it shows everything.
    Er...post #10 in this thread?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhephree View Post
    I don't know. I saw some stuff that looked interesting. Slingplayer, Shazam, ebay, msn money, msnbc.com, break.com, ustream viewer, Huffington Post, HSN, a bunch of xbox live games. I'm sure there are tons of crap like in all stores but i think they have some interesting stuff and a damn good start considering they did it in two months.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    yeah i probably agree. I haven't found anything interesting in the webos catalog since the Facebook app. Maybe the dropbox app but i did that just to try it. i don't use dropbox. Nobody's making much of anything for WebOS of interest to me.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 12/16/2010 at 02:31 PM.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast