Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    At this point there is NO REASON to believe that WebOS will exist after this year...much less two years.
    A brilliant comment. Something similar was said about the iPad, about the iPod, about the 1929 crack, about Apple...
    Newness Developments apps:

gotta love those fart apps on webos
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Windows Phone 7 has reached 6,000 apps. I think this is a bad thing for webOS here. Well I think it was a bad thing for webOS since they hit 5,000. They now have 6,016 apps. Growing at an average of 100 apps per day except on Sundays and sometimes Mondays. Not good HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur5461 View Post
    Windows Phone 7 has reached 6,000 apps. I think this is a bad thing for webOS here. Well I think it was a bad thing for webOS since they hit 5,000. They now have 6,016 apps. Growing at an average of 100 apps per day except on Sundays and sometimes Mondays. Not good HP.
    True, but quality matters not just quantity.

We have angry birds they don't.

We have all the major players: FB with FB places, Twitter apps, Foursquare, Gowalla, Map and Navigation, tethering....

I don't feel left out when talking with my iphone colleages.

Only major app missing: Shazam. I'd like to see Dragon speak and voice dialing (coming in 2.0?), and Citrix client. VPN is coming in 2.0 and can already be done with Preware (PreVPNC). Epocrates will be the major missing app for medical folks when they drop support here shortly.
    That and...

MOG
    TweetDeck
    Epicurious
    Kindle
    Native navigation
    SoundHound (better than Shazam. BY FAR)
    Pulse
    Alternative Browsers

.....Trust me. Plenty of major apps are missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That and...

MOG
    TweetDeck
    Epicurious
    Kindle
    Native navigation
    Pulse
    Alternative Browsers

Beat me to it
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Oh to remove from that list, they now have Kindle, they do have Navigation with Bing Maps but it isn't turn by turn which should come in an update later this year.

There are 3 alternatives to tweetdeck: Official Twitter app, Seesmic and Beezz(never heard of it).
    The only alternative browsers are not really alternative but they are: Browser+, Surfcube 3D and Metro Browser(whatever it's called).
    Facebook places was recently added to the facebook app but I don't think it's in the built in Peoples hub.
    webOS does have Angry Birds but Rovio said it's coming to WP7 in a few months...too late. Foursquare was one of the first apps in Marketplace. Epocrates will be coming if the dev team thinks WP7 is successful enough(They said it not me)
    Gowala's team said they were in the progress for making the gowala app but doesn't know when it will be done.
    Maps are built in with Bing Maps(additional functionality will be here in a few months)
    Tethering is basically not available for WP7 but USB Tethering is built into the diagnostic menu of the Samsung Focus(they hacked it).
    One thing that makes me laugh is the fact that VoIP API is not anywhere near finished so Skype and the chat all the proxy apps and stuff won't be here until the end of this year. The Compass/Camera API and lack of CDMA support is another joke with those. coming in the 2nd half of this year. A good amount of the apps are high quality but some are buggy.
    Well hopefully things will change starting feb 9th.

Now that we know there will atleast be a music indexing and mic API, more apps should be coming.

The only rumors and/or confirmed "big name" apps coming or already here with webos are nytimes, evernote, lexicomp and kindle (latter is rumored)

Wonder why other big name apps would be tight lipped about coming out for webos if indeed they are coming.

Who knows. Good for windows phone users. All 100 them
    Just wait until next year when there a millions of Palm Pads in use, then webOS will have hundreds of thousands of useless apps too.
    LG is giving out 10 free apps every 2 months:
    LG giving away ten free Windows Phone 7 apps every two months -- Engadget
    10 More Apps Free for LG Owners | Windows Roundup

Some good looking apps there.

I want good apps.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I wonder if Microsoft's even profited from WP7 yet with all the money they're throwing into advertising to push their new product.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post

We have all the major players: FB with FB places, Twitter apps, Foursquare, Gowalla, Map and Navigation, tethering....

Only major app missing: Shazam. I'd like to see Dragon speak and voice dialing (coming in 2.0?), and Citrix client. VPN is coming in 2.0 and can already be done with Preware (PreVPNC). Epocrates will be the major missing app for medical folks when they drop support here shortly.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That and...

MOG
    TweetDeck
    Epicurious
    Kindle
    Native navigation
    Pulse
    Alternative Browsers

The comment:

"Quality matters not quantity" is probably the most overused and skewed comment(used as an excuse, by the way) on these boards. [And that is an accomplishment here]

Why?

Because quality is in the eye of the beholder, quantity is not.
    "One man's trash is another man's treasure"

To the comment about the "major apps":

1) I don't know how accurate nor updated your information about the WM7 market is.

More importantly,
    2) I thought that was all to the "app world" when I was with WebOS as well. That is, until I saw the Android market. I have over 160 apps at this point. [This number includes Google apps]
    I use them all. [of course the usage varies from time to time]
    I think I downloaded 8 total apps on the WebOS catalog? [that was back around 5000 and included homebrew apps]

"Major Apps" are nice but they are only a small part of the app picture.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 01/12/2011 at 07:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    The name Palm is slowly dissapering. I've seen apps that say HP web OS all over it. Next year this time phones will be HP phones. They need a HP phone called the Palm Pilot. Sounds good.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    A great amount of apps that you guys have listed, are already here or are actually confirmed by the development team to be coming. Especially Angry Birds which is actually confirmed by Rovio to be coming in the coming months.

In respect to the APIs, Windows Phone 7 is only missing it's Compass API(Accelerometer will have to be used for compass but won't be used for showing true magnetic north), VoIP API(Skype is impossible to build), unfinished Camera API(Cannot do augmented reality apps and apps like the rumored FaceTime competitor MS is working on for WP7 can't work) and I think that's it.

Most of the big named apps are in WP7 though so moving from webOS to WP7 would probably only be letting you miss a few apps, especially the Engadget app.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post

Im so sick of this. Webos has **** for apps. The 9th will show me how serious hp is about the smartphone market. Right now i cant tell, because if they were, i think they would be or would start to do what microsoft is being successful at, and dropping the doe on devs who make the quality apps THAT WEBOS DOESNT HAVE
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I wonder if Microsoft's even profited from WP7 yet with all the money they're throwing into advertising to push their new product.
    Its 2 months into a MAJOR launch of a brand new product.

Who in their right mind would think the company would be generating a profit yet.....

Anyway, they do have turn by turn with teleatlus (same app as the Pre).

One thing i noticed about Windows 7 Apps...they really are super polished. Easy developing environment i suppose.
    <threads merged>

This will be the thread for commenting on the Win7 catalog and announcing when it reaches a new milestone such at 8,000 or 10,000 or 200,000.

Threads about the Win7 app market will be merged here. Cheers!

Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/12/2011 at 12:17 PM.
    wonder how many fart apps and soundboards they have? I'm sure SOMEONE will come up with some numbers and percentages, and put it to their signature so that all can see lol
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    wonder how many fart apps and soundboards they have? I'm sure SOMEONE will come up with some numbers and percentages, and put it to their signature so that all can see lol
    Wouldn't have to if people wouldn't make claims about other markets [as an excuse for WebOS's] that are completely unsubstantiated and way tooooo easy to prove false.
    <<thread merged>