Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I'm not a fan of Android, but even I recognize that's a software bug exclusive to the Nexus S.
    It's actually a problem affecting all phones. It happens to my EVO every now and then and my friends LG optimus S. Counting down the days till WP7 on sprint
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Once new high end devices hit the market, and people pick up devices of course developers will pick up the slack for webos,

I just have to wonder why would masses of people buy a device, many again, knowing it has no apps. I did it the first time in anticipation that the apps would come. They never did. Look at the app store and they aren't coming now even. To me this "if you build it they will come" line of reasoning is problematic. Like i got fooled once. And that was when they had tons of buzz and momentum and positive media attention. They've got none of that now. Like just me personally, i wouldn't buy a new Palm anything before, an absolute ton of apps actually showed up in the store, and not a buck more then the ipod one too. But short of releasing a phone that prints out $100 bills, i wouldn't buy a phone on the hope of future apps. Because doing that before was 14 months of futile hoping. Personally i just see it happening without them paying a **** load of developers to make apps first or licensing the OS inorder to get it on plenty of devices and countries, like android and wp7. Because they can release 5 phones this year and they still are unlikely to touch the global volume of android and microsoft when they've got 50 companies all releasing 5 phones a year with a given O.S. If it's a numbers game, they'll win that every time, leaving Web O.S. needing to hit an iphone like homerun with every device just to keep up. And i've seen nothing at all that is remotely as market changing as the iphone or the iphone 4. Stack? Agenda? Just type? To me I just don't see those being as appealing to the masses as stuff like voice activated searching, voice commands, video chat, etc.

oh as a side note looks like WP7 app store has passed the WebOS store. They have 5338 while according to Precentral app gallery webos has 5123. Honestly i don't know if that's the official total but i read somewhere it was an accurate count of the app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    Android desnt have the most quality apps...have you actually looked around the android app store?
    They might have 200,000 apps, but a lot are either adware or crap. iOS has the best app catalog by far.
    This may be true due to all the ridiculous restrictions that Apple puts on their app store.
    But even if that's true... statistically speaking Android still wipes the floor with the WebOS catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
    Windows Phone 7 hits 5,000 app milestone - Dec. 30, 2010

Took them 2 months compared to webOS which took 18 months
    A testament to the sheer lack of interest developers have for WebOS.

Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    Dude,webos does not have highest quality apps.I use to say same as you. That they had all I need. Now I have big time top notch name brand apps I could not live with out.apps I did not know exsited.
    Absolute truth.
    I down played apps too when I was on the Pre.
    "What would I need that for"...now not even my Evo has enough room for my apps that I use constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Well, the speed of the Android app growth means that if WebOS is able to create some incredible devices next year, then it too can have a ton of apps.

The key is the devices. And we'll know more about that in Jan.

Here's hoping.

How true is this though? The Android market started growing BEFORE they had as many devices as they have.
    While MORE devices does ENCOURAGE more developer interest... it doesn't guarantee it.

well my company is a fortune 500 company American Express, and we already have a license for Windows 7, BB devices, and WP7 devices for our techs, and business leaders. They are considering Webos now BECAUSE OF THE EASE OF THE OS, AND NOW THE BACKING OF ONE OF THEIR PARTNERS HP(which most developers will start to do as well just because of the ladder point). Our techs also look at the fragmented OS on Android, which of course purchasing thousand of devices every 3 or so months because of it wouldnt make sense. Windows of course has been established for years, backed by a finacially strong company, and has millions of users all of which Palm never had, invalid point. The future now is Linux in alot of developers and companys eyes, and at this point Webos is the only OS that supports that completly.

"....which of course purchasing thousand of devices every 3 or so months.." as opposed to WebOS where you couldn't buy a phone even once a year if you wanted to.

Sorry, your company is flat out stupid, if this is actually what they believe.
    That's all I have to say to this.

Android fragmentation is more of a fluff issue accented by Android-nay sayers than an actual issue.

Something like 95% of Android devices are running 2.0 + now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    You can have all the app's in the world, but if your boss gets a text you meant to send your co-worker it might make them all seem pretty trivial. I'll stick with webOS, thank you.
    So replace it with the 5 other very good SMS apps in the app market? Stock app sucks comparative to what's in the app market anyway.
    It's not like this problem won't be fixed asap anyway.
    Talk about grabbing onto the edge of the cliff..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post

So replace it with the 5 other very good SMS apps in the app market? Stock app sucks comparative to what's in the app market anyway.
    It's not like this problem won't be fixed asap anyway.
    Talk about grabbing onto the edge of the cliff..
    Im sorry but the android sms bug is not a minor issue so were not grabbing onto the edge of a cliff..

the android sms bug is a very very very serious problem... its the worst defect i have heard of on the android platform...its a dealbreaker for me and if it isnt fixed i could never go android...
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Im sorry but the android sms bug is not a minor issue so were not grabbing onto the edge of a cliff..

the android sms bug is a very very very serious problem... its the worst defect i have heard of on the android platform...its a dealbreaker for me and if it isnt fixed i could never go android...
    I again point you to the great [much much much better than stock] SMS programs in the market.

HandCent, Go SMS, ChompSMS etc...

I will now say this too.
    I have NEVER experienced this SMS bug.
    Know why?
    Because, like most users, I downloaded a market based SMS app on day one.

If some silly bug, that is easily correctable, is your biggest complaint what are you doing on the WebOS platform?

Moreover,
    we can't confirm that it still happens in 2.3

[Note: I am not suggesting that the bug doesn't need to be fixed. It does. It may have been in 2.3. All I'm saying is. All platforms have bugs. WebOS knows this all too well. When a bug is easily circumvented, without rooting/jailbreaking/or applying patches, it's "seriousness" is significantly lessened]
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 01/02/2011 at 03:11 PM.
    [QUOTE=Mattykinsx;2813241]This may

"....which of course purchasing thousand of devices every 3 or so months.." as opposed to WebOS where you couldn't buy a phone even once a year if you wanted to.

Sorry, your company is flat out stupid, if this is actually what they believe.
    That's all I have to say to this.

Android fragmentation is more of a fluff issue accented by Android-nay sayers than an actual issue.

Something like 95% of Android devices are running 2.0 + now.

QUOTE]

lol I love how people respond and have no idea of how business work, or the reason why products are considered. Of course looking at numbers of how profitable a company is AMEX is far from stupid smh. As well the company they work with (HP over 33 billion profit a Q, where as Google still only 7billion). Regardless if the product requesting by a corporation has only 1 model or serval, means nothing to incorporating it into a ecosystem. Corporations look at how it will intergrate it into their business cycle, as well as if the product will be financially stable. Both of which Webos will be, so be a ****** on someone elses debate not mine. As far as your 95% (where ever did you get that number from) if you look you'll see even froyo the latest version for months now have only 28.7% of handsets running it. Fragmentation yes, a overrated OS yes, oversaturated the market yes, a steep taper off on the market in the next 2 years most def.
    I again point you to the great [much much much better than stock] SMS programs in the market.

HandCent, Go SMS, ChompSMS etc...

I will now say this too.
    I have NEVER experienced this SMS bug.
    Know why?
    Because, like most users, I downloaded a market based SMS app on day one.

If some silly bug, that is easily correctable, is your biggest complaint what are you doing on the WebOS platform?

Moreover,

[Note: I am not suggesting that the bug doesn't need to be fixed. It does. It may have been in 2.3. All I'm saying is. All platforms have bugs. WebOS knows this all too well. When a bug is easily circumvented, without rooting/jailbreaking/or applying patches, it's "seriousness" is significantly lessened]
    well the sms bug has been put from medium priotiy to ciritcal on every fragmented OS version even 2.3. Also full linux systems (like webos, not Andriod) are less prone to bugs, or malware so incorrect statement.
    As far as your 95% (where ever did you get that number from) if you look you'll see even froyo the latest version for months now have only 28.7% of handsets running it.
    The vast majority of Android devices run version 2.x: Platform Versions | Android Developers
    ...a overrated OS yes, oversaturated the market yes, a steep taper off on the market in the next 2 years most def.
    Now, your turn to put up some source links for the above statements.
    Also full linux systems (like webos, not Andriod) are less prone to bugs...
    Wow.
    First off, as taharka has shown... the percentage of 2.0 + is 84% a month ago and the percentage of froyo is almost 50% a month ago. [a month is a LONG time in the mobile world. as we've seen, a month WM7 can trump WebOS in apps]

With whatever respect may be due here, your comments "Fragmentation yes, a overrated OS yes, oversaturated the market yes, a steep taper off on the market in the next 2 years most def." are ALL baseless OPINIONS.

Which is also truth when it comes to your suggestion that WebOS is "financially stable".
    If WebOS isn't successful this year, I will guarantee you that HP will move on.
    And there's no reason thus far to believe that WebOS will be.

As has been pointed out in this thread, WM7 has already passed WebOS in a month. Android is about to pass Apple.
    Let's repeat what I just said.
    In ONE MONTH WM7 did what WebOS took 18 months to do.

Of all the platforms WebOS is the LEAST stable.
    The LEAST guaranteed to be around in two years.
    Just because HP bought them, and has money, does NOT guarantee the success of WebOS.
    Money is NOT the only thing required when it comes to this game.
    Look at the Kin.
    A billion dollars was spent.

So because the priority is marked as "medium" you think that equates to it not being fixed soon?
    I've seen bugs with "low priority" fixed before "high priority" items are.

And, not to be rude dude honestly, but I'm not sure you know what you're talking about when it comes to Linux being "less prone to bugs".

With all due respect, prior to WebOS 2.0 [whenever it's released], the MAJORITY of things done with OTA updates have been bug fixes.
    For every feature added there's been about 10 bug fixes.

There's probably been more bug fixes in WebOS's short life than Android's.
    looking even at the graph it shows what I mean by fragmentation. WMP7 passing webos is applications correct what does that mean though, im not understanding your statment there? of course from the day one Microsoft has always had more developers the Palm, Hp will have to establish that wont they. Of course everything I STATE AND YOU STATE are all opinions, and will either happen or wont 50- 50 correct the reason why I state opinions right? I think you meant medium to prioty in your response to the sms bug, and I state that as it showing as a concern not something minor. Yes its a fact that linux based systems are less prone to malware, google it other then that don't take anything to heart so much homie, its all opinions when based off of what will and wont happen. Though as stated if you are anti webos, understand anything you post on a WEBOS site will cause people to go above and beyond just their opinons. Same would go if anyone for webos going to a android forum and attacking Google. The reason why I dont respond to people like takhara, hes a android activist lol just kidding.
    looking even at the graph it shows what I mean by fragmentation. WMP7 passing webos is applications correct what does that mean though, im not understanding your statment there? of course from the day one Microsoft has always had more developers the Palm, Hp will have to establish that wont they. Of course everything I STATE AND YOU STATE are all opinions, and will either happen or wont 50- 50 correct the reason why I state opinions right? I think you meant medium to prioty in your response to the sms bug, and I state that as it showing as a concern not something minor. Yes its a fact that linux based systems are less prone to malware, google it other then that don't take anything to heart so much homie, its all opinions when based off of what will and wont happen. Though as stated if you are anti webos, understand anything you post on a WEBOS site will cause people to go above and beyond just their opinons. Same would go if anyone for webos going to a android forum and attacking Google. The reason why I dont respond to people like takhara, hes a android activist lol just kidding.

The graph shows that there are still people on old, old Android phones that are likely not even capable of running the new versions of Android.
    The funny part of the fragmentation issue is how truthful what I said is.
    The G1 can only run 2.2.1 because they have literally hacked the kernel to bits. Allowing for 14 MB of RAM more among over-clocking it to death.
    That's what's required for those oldddd phones to run 2.0+ without extreme lag. [still lag] Trust me, I put 2.2 on my friends G1 BEFORE we used that kernel and it was terrrrrible.

NO manufacturer is going to over-clock and hack to bits a kernel to allow it to run a newer version of an OS. Over-clocking voids warranties, for good reasons.
    What is always missed on here is how Android versions are, generally, a significant update.
    Unlike WebOS updates, sorry to say, which are mainly bug fixes.
    Example? Android 2.1 to 2.2 caused a significant increase in benchmark ratings.

Literally...the Evo on 2.1 ran at 8 mflops when over-clocked. The Evo on 2.2 runs around 45 mflops without over-clock.

When it comes to what I'm talking about when it comes to WM7 vs WebOS...the point is that you cannot sit here and say that WebOS is going to be okay in two years when in a simple month a platform that just started out took over what WebOS took a year and a half to accomplish.

Microsoft may have developer interest....WebOS doesn't.
    And it may be near impossible to get enough WebOS interest after all the let down and screwing around by Hp/Palm.
    [Hell, Sprint didn't even pick up the Pre 2 because of the history of what happened with the Pre]

When it comes to opinions vs facts...links and facts have been shown...you are challenged to do the same.

At this point there is NO REASON to believe that WebOS will exist after this year...much less two years.
    The reason why I dont respond to people like takhara, hes a android activist lol just kidding.
    LOL

Honestly, I can't be an Android activist as I haven't used it long enough. I've spent over a year with webOS and have developed apps for it. I've only been on Android a few months and have developed less apps for Android compared to webOS.

What I don't like, and often comment on, is the FUD I see here every day. So when I see those, I'll continue to counter them. If that forces one to label me as anti-webOS and pro-Android, so be it.
    The graph shows that there are still people on old, old Android phones that are likely not even capable of running the new versions of Android.
    The funny part of the fragmentation issue is how truthful what I said is.
    The G1 can only run 2.2.1 because they have literally hacked the kernel to bits. Allowing for 14 MB of RAM more among over-clocking it to death.
    That's what's required for those oldddd phones to run 2.0+ without extreme lag. [still lag] Trust me, I put 2.2 on my friends G1 BEFORE we used that kernel and it was terrrrrible.

NO manufacturer is going to over-clock and hack to bits a kernel to allow it to run a newer version of an OS. Over-clocking voids warranties, for good reasons.
    What is always missed on here is how Android versions are, generally, a significant update.
    Unlike WebOS updates, sorry to say, which are mainly bug fixes.
    Example? Android 2.1 to 2.2 caused a significant increase in benchmark ratings.

Literally...the Evo on 2.1 ran at 8 mflops when over-clocked. The Evo on 2.2 runs around 45 mflops without over-clock.

When it comes to what I'm talking about when it comes to WM7 vs WebOS...the point is that you cannot sit here and say that WebOS is going to be okay in two years when in a simple month a platform that just started out took over what WebOS took a year and a half to accomplish.

Microsoft may have developer interest....WebOS doesn't.
    And it may be near impossible to get enough WebOS interest after all the let down and screwing around by Hp/Palm.
    [Hell, Sprint didn't even pick up the Pre 2 because of the history of what happened with the Pre]

When it comes to opinions vs facts...links and facts have been shown...you are challenged to do the same.

At this point there is NO REASON to believe that WebOS will exist after this year...much less two years.
    Oh okay cause after all no company has ever been able to turn things around after a rough year, we should just start throwing our webOS devices in the wood chipper right? No one can tell the future including you, or can you, so lets just relax and have a happy new year!
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    Oh okay cause after all no company has ever been able to turn things around after a rough year, we should just start throwing our webOS devices in the wood chipper right? No one can tell the future including you, or can you, so lets just relax and have a happy new year!
    Who said that it has never happened?
    Who said that I can tell the future?

I can use past and current knowledge for a realistically correct estimation of the future.

Here's what we know:
    -The only thing that has happened, actually happened not nonsensical rumors and promises, is the release of the Pre 2. [no offence, a joke. that's all it is]
    [We don't count WebOS 2.0 because it was no question in the works previous to HP buying Palm]

-Even at it's absolute peak, developer interest in WebOS was... well... lacking? To be very nice about it.

-With all due respect, HP has done NOTHING good thus far. Where's trying to peak dev interest? Hell, where's ANYTHING? If not for people poking around on best buy documents and really HOPEFUL [non fact based just pure faith] rumors...we would have literally nothing to discuss.

I could go on and on but the point is made.
    There's no reason to suspect that HP can turn it around.
    It's been half a year and not one damn thing, not anything that can be counted, has happened.
    Who said that it has never happened?
    Who said that I can tell the future?

I can use past and current knowledge for a realistically correct estimation of the future.

Here's what we know:
    -The only thing that has happened, actually happened not nonsensical rumors and promises, is the release of the Pre 2. [no offence, a joke. that's all it is]
    [We don't count WebOS 2.0 because it was no question in the works previous to HP buying Palm]

-Even at it's absolute peak, developer interest in WebOS was... well... lacking? To be very nice about it.

-With all due respect, HP has done NOTHING good thus far. Where's trying to peak dev interest? Hell, where's ANYTHING? If not for people poking around on best buy documents and really HOPEFUL [non fact based just pure faith] rumors...we would have literally nothing to discuss.

I could go on and on but the point is made.
    There's no reason to suspect that HP can turn it around.
    It's been half a year and not one damn thing, not anything that can be counted, has happened.
    Listen,you can post your facts and opinions all day. The fact remains neither you or I know what HP/Palm has planned for 2011. It could be absolute crap or something totally amazing. So like I said before relax and have a happy new year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    Listen,you can post your facts and opinions all day. The fact remains neither you or I know what HP/Palm has planned for 2011. It could be absolute crap or something totally amazing. So like I said before relax and have a happy new year.
    Only serious forum on the internet where facts are ignored on a daily basis.
  17.    #97  
    WP7 app store update: 5413
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I was in the early access program BEFORE I had an actual webOS device (and I got my Pre on launch day).

Introducing the Palm Mojo SDK early access program. | Palm Developer Center Blog
    But you're not all the devs, isn't it? I'm european, and I was rejected for EAP, i.e.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    What I don't like, and often comment on, is the FUD I see here every day. So when I see those, I'll continue to counter them. If that forces one to label me as anti-webOS and pro-Android, so be it.
    What do you expect on a webOS fan site?

Let me tell you something: not everyone in the world needs the same things, and not everyone in the world feels happy with the same products. Please let webOS satisfied people express their satisfaction in a webOS fan site, please.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    What do you expect on a webOS fan site?

Let me tell you something: not everyone in the world needs the same things, and not everyone in the world feels happy with the same products. Please let webOS satisfied people express their satisfaction in a webOS fan site, please.
    He's not taking issue with satisfaction, just misinformation about the competition or "FUD". I would hope you don't expect that at any fan site.