Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    1. Palm got te hype, anda released the dice six months later, when superior devices were released or announced.

2. Developers weren't able to pick the SDK until 9 months after device announce.

3. Palm wasn't a heathly company, at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    2. Developers weren't able to pick the SDK until 9 months after device announce.
    I was in the early access program BEFORE I had an actual webOS device (and I got my Pre on launch day).

http://developer.palm.com/blog/2009/...ccess-program/
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    1. The Pre was new when it was first released and had all the hype of being THE iPhone killer. The developers didn't flock to it.

2. Fast forward to today and you are correct that there have been no new devices, but the developers NEVER flocked to it (even when it was brand spanking new and easy to develop for).

3. The developers at your firm are pulling the wool over your firm's eyes. For example, Windows (the desktop OS) is not linux based at all but people/companies have developed applications for it at a non-stop pace for two decades. By the way, at my company, there is an active plan to support RIM, iOS and Android.

4. Most of the apps developed for these mobile platforms have no awareness of the linux underpinnings. I can't believe your company actually believe developers saying "we can't develop for a platform because it is not a full linux base OS". What a load of crap. The FUD is strong with that one.

Again, I maintain that the "key" is not made up solely of "super devices".
    well my company is a fortune 500 company American Express, and we already have a license for Windows 7, BB devices, and WP7 devices for our techs, and business leaders. They are considering Webos now BECAUSE OF THE EASE OF THE OS, AND NOW THE BACKING OF ONE OF THEIR PARTNERS HP(which most developers will start to do as well just because of the ladder point). Our techs also look at the fragmented OS on Android, which of course purchasing thousand of devices every 3 or so months because of it wouldnt make sense. Windows of course has been established for years, backed by a finacially strong company, and has millions of users all of which Palm never had, invalid point. The future now is Linux in alot of developers and companys eyes, and at this point Webos is the only OS that supports that completly.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Our techs also look at the fragmented OS on Android, which of course purchasing thousand of devices every 3 or so months because of it wouldnt make sense.
    What? Are you serious? Help me understand this because I have to assume I do not understand it at all. Are you saying that your techs looked at Android and figured the company would have to buy thousands of devices every 3 months? Please tell me that I am reading this wrong.

If I'm reading this correctly and what you are saying is true, you should recommend that those techs be...uhm...downsized...post haste!
    By the way, if AMEX is considering producing an app for webOS, that is a bit of good news for webOS. I know I've seen people clamoring for these types of credit card/banking apps.
    What? Are you serious? Help me understand this because I have to assume I do not understand it at all. Are you saying that your techs looked at Android and figured the company would have to buy thousands of devices every 3 months? Please tell me that I am reading this wrong.

If I'm reading this correctly and what you are saying is true, you should recommend that those techs be...uhm...downsized...post haste!
    why because someone like you dont understand, please now thats funny lol. Our techs credentials are proven, and yes thats one of the main reason as well as using it for business use like push mail, notifications, mobility, ease of use, etc BB is still a front runner for our business exects. The reason why they looking for a linux replacement, is because the industry is headed that way. They like the idea of a ecosystem Microsoft and HP are talking about. Though HP is a big influence at our company, because we licences computers and printers through them, they also have been here since the buyout of palm, and have shown what Webos is capable of doing. Interconecting devices through printers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones has been demostrated already here at AMEX. The HP slate is being used religiously through AMEX already, and the business Idea HP brings to the table makes more sense to AMEX then Android, and WP7 if you can understand that or not. Yes there are people, and companys out there that see more colors then just green, hard to believe huh.
    seriously, I have been at Blackberry seminors, and Microsoft ones promoting their idea of what their ecosystem is going to look like here at AMEX. I must say that HP to me has it right with webos, and right now AMEX sees it that way too. Also to me what some of our techs tell me about applications for Webos, is that the hundreds of thousand applications on Apple currently takes only a few hours to port to Webos as apposed to months on android (see applications like angry birds on how long it too for the port to go over from apple, and the reason for the delay). Which once HP plays their hands correctly (if they do) can get the same developers to port over those applications and again skyrocket applications in months on Webos.
    why because someone like you dont understand, please now thats funny lol. Our techs credentials are proven, and yes thats one of the main reason as well as using it for business use like push mail, notifications, mobility, ease of use, etc BB is still a front runner for our business exects. The reason why they looking for a linux replacement, is because the industry is headed that way. They like the idea of a ecosystem Microsoft and HP are talking about. Though HP is a big influence at our company, because we licences computers and printers through them, they also have been here since the buyout of palm, and have shown what Webos is capable of doing. Interconecting devices through printers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones has been demostrated already here at AMEX. The HP slate is being used religiously through AMEX already, and the business Idea HP brings to the table makes more sense to AMEX then Android, and WP7 if you can understand that or not. Yes there are people, and companys out there that see more colors then just green, hard to believe huh.
    Wow, you didn't even answer the question. You claimed that your techs say that using Android will force the company to buy thousands of devices every 3 months. My question was about that statement. I have no issues with companies partnering with anyone and didn't even mention that so I'm not sure what the rest of your post was about. But since you brought that up, do keep in mind that many companies are doing the same thing with Android, RIM, WP7 and iOS. HP does not have a unique lock on these types of relationships.

Also, what's with the "someone like you" comment? Really? LOL
    Wow, you didn't even answer the question. You claimed that your techs say that using Android will force the company to buy thousands of devices every 3 months. My question was about that statement. I have no issues with companies partnering with anyone and didn't even mention that so I'm not sure what the rest of your post was about. But since you brought that up, do keep in mind that many companies are doing the same thing with Android, RIM, WP7 and iOS. HP does not have a unique lock on these types of relationships.

Also, what's with the "someone like you" comment? Really? LOL
    your question:

the answer again:

and yes thats one of the main reason

and if I thought that only HP made relationships with companies, Id be a freakin nut. If thats not of the obvious I dont know what to tell you smh. I give you that example, because you are (with your blinders on) so anti webos, and for android you have so much disbelieve that anyone would not only adopt webos, but ever work with them again.
    seriously, I have been at Blackberry seminors, and Microsoft ones promoting their idea of what their ecosystem is going to look like here at AMEX. I must say that HP to me has it right with webos, and right now AMEX sees it that way too. Also to me what some of our techs tell me about applications for Webos, is that the hundreds of thousand applications on Apple currently takes only a few hours to port to Webos as apposed to months on android (see applications like angry birds on how long it too for the port to go over from apple, and the reason for the delay). Which once HP plays their hands correctly (if they do) can get the same developers to port over those applications and again skyrocket applications in months on Webos.
    Sigh. The "apps" that are easy to port are games developed using a specific technology. It is not true that "the hundreds of thousands of applications on Apple" are easily ported.
    Sigh. The "apps" that are easy to port are games developed using a specific technology. It is not true that "the hundreds of thousands of applications on Apple" are easily ported.
    last time I even checked they were.
    Palm to Release webOS PDK to Encourage Mobile Games for Pre | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD
    your question:

the answer again:

and yes thats one of the main reason

and if I thought that only HP made relationships with companies, Id be a freakin nut. If thats not of the obvious I dont know what to tell you smh. I give you that example, because you are (with your blinders on) so anti webos, and for android you have so much disbelieve that anyone would not only adopt webos, but ever work with them again.
    Dude? Really? For the record, I'm not Pro anything when it comes to these platforms. I used PalmOS because it worked for me. When it stopped working for me I moved on to webOS. That didn't work out (in fact it was a horrible experience) so I moved on to Android. So far, that's working for me and that is why I'm using it. If it stops working for me, I'll drop it and move on as well. But if you want to take that as being pro-Android, then go for it. I talk about webOS from the perspective of a person who has used it exclusively for just over a year. Call me anti-webOS if if makes you feel better, but I'm not making up stuff about it. This stuff is all over the place and one need only do quick searches. On the other hand, you are making up things like "once X is released, Y will take off like a rocket". I simply call those things to question especially when "x-like" things have already been released and Y still remains in a stand-still or is declining.
    Dude? Really? For the record, I'm not Pro anything when it comes to these platforms. I used PalmOS because it worked for me. When it stopped working for me I moved on to webOS. That didn't work out (in fact it was a horrible experience) so I moved on to Android. So far, that's working for me and that is why I'm using it. If it stops working for me, I'll drop it and move on as well. But if you want to take that as being pro-Android, then go for it. I talk about webOS from the perspective of a person who has used it exclusively for just over a year. Call me anti-webOS if if makes you feel better, but I'm not making up stuff about it. This stuff is all over the place and one need only do quick searches. On the other hand, you are making up things like "once X is released, Y will take off like a rocket". I simply call those things to question especially when "x-like" things have already been released and Y still remains in a stand-still or is declining.
    lol no offense at all, and I know these are your opinions too, but same as you I call it how I see it (blinders on refering to webos users). Though I have used all OS's as well, I make statments as a opinion as most do. So yes When I say when X is released Y will take off I speak for the future not the past. All of course could flop, making my opinions worth nothing, but hey thats the fun of it right a idea that something I like will succeed.
    im def no pro either, and have my likes and dislikes as well. Just because the grass is growing on the other side of the fence, dosent mean your grass will never do so.
    Right. GAMES are easily ported (and only the ones written with a certain tech). This does NOT equate to "the hundreds of thousands of iOS apps". Have you not wondered why only some of the popular games have been ported while none of the apps from non-game categories have?

Bridging the Porting Gap | webOSroundup

Developer POV: Dave Haupert from DDH Software, on HanDBase, webOS, and Palm | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

Get Your Favorite App Ported to webOS | webOSroundup

A quote from that last link:
    It is important to note that itís really only games that use OpenGL ES that are very easy to port. Straight Cocoa games arenít so easyÖ.just FYI.
    Right. GAMES are easily ported (and only the ones written with a certain tech). This does NOT equate to "the hundreds of thousands of iOS apps". Have you not wondered why only some of the popular games have been ported while none of the apps from non-game categories have?

Bridging the Porting Gap | webOSroundup

Developer POV: Dave Haupert from DDH Software, on HanDBase, webOS, and Palm | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

Get Your Favorite App Ported to webOS | webOSroundup

A quote from that last link:

hmm thats interesting good to know, Ill have to get more info on what he meant. I saw that too when researching a bit, maybe with the update to 2.0 theres something imbedded in the code to be able to do more (hes testing a Pre 2).
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    No it is Android that just went past 200,000 apps...
    You can have all the app's in the world, but if your boss gets a text you meant to send your co-worker it might make them all seem pretty trivial. I'll stick with webOS, thank you.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    I'm gonna send my boss a "Yuck Fou" text and then blame it on this bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    You can have all the app's in the world, but if your boss gets a text you meant to send your co-worker it might make them all seem pretty trivial. I'll stick with webOS, thank you.
    Yikes! That would be bad. Another recommendation for Handcent for all your SMS needs.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    I'm not a fan of Android, but even I recognize that's a software bug exclusive to the Nexus S.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.