Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 162
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Er...post #10 in this thread?
    that's not bing.
    Top Windows Phone 7 Apps - Bing

    apparently doesn't show everything though.
  2. #22  
    ios has the best quality that's for sure, andriod I here if full of crap and alot of repeats and bad quality but there's alot of free apps, WP7 has bad quality and good quality and but they are flying they will be more when they get phone on sprint verison and other carriers and webos has ALOT of crap and **** quality apps maybe it's becuz I have this old hardware but idk I don't like the app cataloge it's very dissapointing...
  3. #23  
    Missing in this discussion of comparative app store metrics is the fact that Apple heavily polices what can get into the store. They have achieved their numbers in spite of actively rejecting many apps. Everyone else is just glad to have someone write, or port, an app, regardless of what it is. When viewed in that light, nothing even comes close to the App Store.

    Another interesting metric that no one wants to talk about is the number of unique, native apps for a platform. The most interesting apps are made for iOS. When a developer wants to demonstrate something new and exciting, it is always on iOS. MS simply paid iOS developers to port apps. Palm begs, and Android steals. (OK, that's a little harsh. ) Android is like one, big iOS jailbreak. The Android market is more like Cydia than the App Store.

    As for WP7 reaching 4,000 so quickly, they have only done so because they, bribed developers, have virtually nothing they will reject, and don't care about unique, first party apps. That is pretty much the same strategy as Palm, yet Palm has already been passed by the newcomer.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Missing in this discussion of comparative app store metrics is the fact that Apple heavily polices what can get into the store. They have achieved their numbers in spite of actively rejecting many apps. Everyone else is just glad to have someone write, or port, an app, regardless of what it is. When viewed in that light, nothing even comes close to the App Store.

    Another interesting metric that no one wants to talk about is the number of unique, native apps for a platform. The most interesting apps are made for iOS. When a developer wants to demonstrate something new and exciting, it is always on iOS. MS simply paid iOS developers to port apps. Palm begs, and Android steals. (OK, that's a little harsh. ) Android is like one, big iOS jailbreak. The Android market is more like Cydia than the App Store.

    As for WP7 reaching 4,000 so quickly, they have only done so because they, bribed developers, have virtually nothing they will reject, and don't care about unique, first party apps. That is pretty much the same strategy as Palm, yet Palm has already been passed by the newcomer.

    As much as I would like to be on your side, I would love it if HP paid developers to bring over some great apps and games.


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Missing in this discussion of comparative app store metrics is the fact that Apple heavily polices what can get into the store. They have achieved their numbers in spite of actively rejecting many apps. Everyone else is just glad to have someone write, or port, an app, regardless of what it is. When viewed in that light, nothing even comes close to the App Store.

    Another interesting metric that no one wants to talk about is the number of unique, native apps for a platform. The most interesting apps are made for iOS. When a developer wants to demonstrate something new and exciting, it is always on iOS. MS simply paid iOS developers to port apps. Palm begs, and Android steals. (OK, that's a little harsh. ) Android is like one, big iOS jailbreak. The Android market is more like Cydia than the App Store.

    As for WP7 reaching 4,000 so quickly, they have only done so because they, bribed developers, have virtually nothing they will reject, and don't care about unique, first party apps. That is pretty much the same strategy as Palm, yet Palm has already been passed by the newcomer.
    Whoa....have you seen some of their apps. They are all unique and follow windows 7's design motiffs:

  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    As for WP7 reaching 4,000 so quickly, they have only done so because they, bribed developers, have virtually nothing they will reject, and don't care about unique, first party apps.
    You call it bribed. I call it they paid good money and carried out good business. Bribes are inherently unlawful. I don't see anything like that. They may have paid for it but they broke no laws and got some apps. I don't think Palm paid many companies to make apps. That is what palm should have done when it became clear they weren't getting much app support. I see nothing wrong with leveraging existing business relationships for the good of your other products. That's what HP should be doing where possible. Just good business to me.
  7. #27  
    I'd be curious to see which apps on webOS are not available on WP7 yet.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I find that hard to believe
    I don't... Sadly.. Minus books, soundboards, sports apps, and junk apps and repetative apps and there's not much more. I have 150ish useful apps and games on my ipod including shazam, netflix, quick office, bing (really ool) nutrition (awesome dieting app), webmd shopping apps that have barcode scanners, an app for every bank, pageonce bills which pulls in bill information!, photoshop iuploader for mulitple photo uploading, ringtone maker, video editer, plus all equivalent apps to webos apps I have and some wayyy awesome games. Webos is sorely lacking in quanity and quality of apps. I do give props to tweetme and A+ student organizer as they are awesome for webos. Just need many more quality apps.
  9. #29  
    You can also download the Zune player and view all the WP7 apps there.
  10. EMPOLLA's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Another interesting metric that no one wants to talk about is the number of unique, native apps for a platform. The most interesting apps are made for iOS. When a developer wants to demonstrate something new and exciting, it is always on iOS. MS simply paid iOS developers to port apps. Palm begs, and Android steals. (OK, that's a little harsh. ) Android is like one, big iOS jailbreak. The Android market is more like Cydia than the App Store.

    As for WP7 reaching 4,000 so quickly, they have only done so because they, bribed developers, have virtually nothing they will reject, and don't care about unique, first party apps. That is pretty much the same strategy as Palm, yet Palm has already been passed by the newcomer.
    As far as I know here is a unique app. released november 16.



    And here is a first party app that is also unique. Released two days ago.



    Since you spoke in absolutes there goes your argument flying out the window simply because I provided 2 little videos.

    MS who are part game studio not having first party apps, where was your logic at while typing that.

    Yes MS paid some to be on their team. Is their something wrong with that? It happens in every aspect of the world we live in. Google giving big paydays and promises to keep their employees from leaving and going to facebook just for example. It happens in sports. It happens everywhere. In MS position it was purely a smart, strategic, and lets add common sense move on their part. Would you not have done the same or would you just hope for the best. If you want to see how that turns out look at webos I'm sure MS did.

    Using even more logic maybe they didn't pay everyone... What a strange thought I'm having but stay with me.

    Maybe, just maybe...

    There are silverlight developers that can now finally get in on this thing we call apps. like the krashlander dev.



    Even more of a crazy thought. Now this one is really crazy. There are game developers that know XNA that wanted to get in on this thing we call apps.

    No way, it's just to out there. Reading back what I typed it's just to out there. You know what, I concede you and your absolutes are right..........
  11. #31  
    You guys also have to remember that Windows Phone 7 is in relative infancy. WP7 phones won't be available on Verizon until next year, and you can be sure that WP7 is only going to continue getting bigger.

    WebOS has the ability to gain traction. It's an awesome OS. What HP needs to do is create a ludicrously expensive, state-of-the-art phone(like the RAZR used to be). At that point, everyone will go, "Damn, I want holograms! What kind of phone is that?" to which a sales guy can reply, "It's actually more or less the same thing as the Palm Gyst so just get that."
  12. #32  
    Only 4000 apps? Seriously?

    Given the millions of $$s that MS has been throwing at developers... (they have something like 5-15,000 developers that they're throwing money and devices at, spending thousands on each)... i'm surprised that it's such a low number.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

    I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  13. #33  
    Some of you need to adjust your hyperbole filter and reread my post. Naturally, I do not speak in absolute terms, but general. What I wrote is generally the case. Being hyper-padantic will not change the facts.

    As for HP not bribing developers, I say they have. They have just done a half-a$$ed job of it in the form of silly contests. Every app store other than Apple is obsessed with numbers. As I already stated, there is very little concern about copyright and trademark infringement, quality, or utility. There is very little that can get an app rejected. MS has publicly stated that they welcome anything. This was in the context of what we would consider crap apps.

    Apple does not need to pay developers to write native and unique apps. Apple actively rejects and weeds out crap apps to much criticism. They police for copyright and trademark infringement. They reject apps that may be offensive. They go way overboard sometimes, when curating the store.

    They have never been concerned about the number of apps. Heck, when they started the App Store, they were more restrictive than they are now. They have marketed their numbers to great affect, but never padded them as other stores are doing. The Apple App Store and other such stores are not equivalent, not even close.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Some of you need to adjust your hyperbole filter and reread my post. Naturally, I do not speak in absolute terms, but general. What I wrote is generally the case. Being hyper-padantic will not change the facts.

    As for HP not bribing developers, I say they have. They have just done a half-a$$ed job of it in the form of silly contests. Every app store other than Apple is obsessed with numbers. As I already stated, there is very little concern about copyright and trademark infringement, quality, or utility. There is very little that can get an app rejected. MS has publicly stated that they welcome anything. This was in the context of what we would consider crap apps.

    Apple does not need to pay developers to write native and unique apps. Apple actively rejects and weeds out crap apps to much criticism. They police for copyright and trademark infringement. They reject apps that may be offensive. They go way overboard sometimes, when curating the store.

    They have never been concerned about the number of apps. Heck, when they started the App Store, they were more restrictive than they are now. They have marketed their numbers to great affect, but never padded them as other stores are doing. The Apple App Store and other such stores are not equivalent, not even close.
    If you say so, man. I got access to the Android App Market and Apple's App Store. Got devices that use the latest versions of both. I've paid for more on Android than I have for Apple, and use way more free apps too. That's not to say that the App Store isn't full of quality apps. I just don't like using their OS enough to bother with 'em.
  15. #35  
    Once again, another week another milestone. Today, the Marketplace hit the big ol' 5,000 for available apps. What's funny about this number is on December 25th, WebOS also hit 5,000 official apps (unofficially, it's over 6,000). As we mentioned last time, WebOS has been out for 18+ months, whereas Windows Phone, just two.
    http://wpcentral.com/windows-phone-7...-signs-slowing
  16. #36  
    Sad state of affairs...for webOS
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    Only 4000 apps? Seriously?

    Given the millions of $$s that MS has been throwing at developers... (they have something like 5-15,000 developers that they're throwing money and devices at, spending thousands on each)... i'm surprised that it's such a low number.
    In less than 2 months...


    ooookkkkk. Developers don't just get money and throw an app out ready for consumption in a day.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-pho...its-4-000-apps

    Windows phone 7 marketplace hit 4000 apps today. it was at 3000 2 weeks ago. that's fricken crazy. They are absolutely flying.
    Wrong...they are now at 5000 apps.

    http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-pho...-signs-slowing
  19. #39  
    Just saying - these numbers are hard to compete with.
    I switched to the Hero, and then the Evo from the Pre. Switch was mostly because my Pre was simply unstable (crashed when answering calls, terrible battery life, etc.)
    The Hero, with current OS, is quite fast with almost no lag to speak of. And the Evo is super fast.
    I thought the WebOS was cool, and I am hoping that some day there are modern handsets and apps enough to give it another go.
  20. #40  
    <<Thread moved>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions