View Poll Results: What are your plans?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just waiting for pre-orders on the 2nd.

9 5.39%
  • I'll wait until after the 9th to decide.

44 26.35%
  • Sticking it out.

34 20.36%
  • PAAAAAALM!!!!

80 47.90%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    bottom line is regardless if you like it or not HP behind webos poses a threat to competitors now if executed correctly, and if the masses adobt to it. A much bigger threat to them even if Palm was still a single entity, and had a bigger market share right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by max167 View Post
    People favour underdogs, and WebOS is clearly the best rounded mobileOS (I had to live for an HTC Legend for a while while my Pixi was being repaired, oh the irony, and hated it).
    If you're going to be locked into a 2 year contract, I have a feeling people would rather use a phone that has things like, say, third party support rather than a phone where the closest they come is signing a petition asking for a port.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    again (wow think about what Im saying before replying) this is all before HP has announced any new products under HP's name. Is it feb yet? your talking about numbers before HP has stepped in and released a HP product (not the pre 2 either). So again even Google, and microsoft will be watching webos, only now because of HP is behind them regardless of what the anti webos people think. Now if it was just Palm still, with the reputation and stats you posted above then I would say hell no they wouldnt care, but again this is now a different story right.
    Help me understand, because it sounds to me like you're saying mountains of cash = success, which has proven false time and time again. Think iPaq, think Microsoft Kin, think Apple Newton... There is zero indication that HP can fix this with money. This is not a declaration on my part that it WILL fail, I personally think it wont, but your outlook is unrealistic and you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Focus on leaving that 2% bracket before looking at that 24% bracket. Mention "webOS" to the average consumer and you'll be met with a blank stare. That's what HP has to overcome before gaining any type of traction.
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    HP is huge, and for the first time they're making a serious fully fledged attempt on a market they dominate. Steve Jobs is neither stupid, nor arrogant enough to believe that HP won't pose a possible serious threat.
    Microsoft is way bigger and has been trying to compete even longer and they got their new OS off the ground much faster than HP did. I don't see Apple reacting to anything Microsoft does in the pad/smartphone market in any discernible way.

Everything's moving to the cloud. I'm using a computer connected to a Citrix 'cloud' network at the moment. Microsoft are investing heavily in cloud technology. HP bought up whoever it was (that cloud computing company who's name eludes me). If HP/Palm play their cards right they could be on to something big.
    I hear everyone saying this in the abstract, but no one seems to have any concrete strategy for how HP will both monetize and dominate cloud computing for businesses. Again, Microsoft is much bigger and will fight HP much harder than anyone else, plus they have a ubiquitous desktop OS to leverage against that. HP has servers and printers. RIM will put in their blows as well. But that's just business. Consumer cloud computing is already here and Google got there before everyone else.

People want iPhones because they're cool and (used to be) exclusive, a fashion icon. Now I'm not saying that's gonna change immediately, but Apple are becoming to big for their own good and people are beginning to see through them. When everyones got an iPhone what's cool about it?
    Nothing. Then, it's just a well-designed device with a great OS and ecosystem. Still a pretty big draw. It's not like the Razr where people get tired and leave. Apple has gotten people to significantly invest money in their iTunes store and App stores.

People favour underdogs, and WebOS is clearly the best rounded mobileOS (I had to live for an HTC Legend for a while while my Pixi was being repaired, oh the irony, and hated it). Phones etc. are fashion statements as much as they are mobile devices, and fashions change, and new seasons come in. Apple are too samey. Its time for someone else to make their mark.
    Like I said, Steve Jobs isn't stupid, he knows that Apple are being threatened from all sides, and a company as big as HP is going to be another serious threat.
    So on one side, HP is the little guy that people are going to cheer for because they're tired of the Apple tyranny. On the other side, HP is too big not to be a serious threat. I honestly don't think either is the case, but if one is true, it's pretty hard for the other to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    If you're going to be locked into a 2 year contract, I have a feeling people would rather use a phone that has things like, say, third party support rather than a phone where the closest they come is signing a petition asking for a port.
    correct now that is, but he is stating if HP executes Webos correctly they have all the tools to support everything a smartphone needs including applications. Oh I forgot Android launched with 100k apps, and was selling by the millions since day one huh? This is what you call a second chance for Webos, though this second chance as I stated is the best chance they have since their destiny will be controlled by a multi billion dollar company, rather then a corner store type biz like Palm was. Open your eyes, people are only implying what CAN happen, What MAY happen, no one knows what WILL happen not even HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Huh?

Source
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Ok, but HP are huge, HP have money, HP have developers and the capability, the power, the strength to get any developer they want on the planet to develop apps for their platforms.

I think you might be underestimating the huge leverage HP have in the computing world.

We're talking about the future here, not the god-awful webOS present, because right now I definitely would not want to sign a 2-year contract on a webOS phone, but hopefully by May, when my contract expires, things will have turned around a little.
    bottom line is regardless if you like it or not HP behind webos poses a threat to competitors now if executed correctly, and if the masses adobt to it. A much bigger threat to them even if Palm was still a single entity, and had a bigger market share right now.
    I agree, It's up to HP if webOS will do well or not. The more weight they put behind it, the better it will do. Although there is not much weight being shifted that I can see ATM. We'll just have to wait for 2/9 to see what goes on.
    Isn't this true for any product in any industry ever, tho? X cereal poses a threat to General Mills if it's launched correctly and the masses "adopt to it". X car poses a threat to Honda and Toyota is it's launched correctly and the masses "adopt to it". Essentially, you're saying HP could win this battle if everybody else loses.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    You realize the date and source of this, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    Help me understand, because it sounds to me like you're saying mountains of cash = success, which has proven false time and time again. Think iPaq, think Microsoft Kin, think Apple Newton... There is zero indication that HP can fix this with money. This is not a declaration on my part that it WILL fail, I personally think it wont, but your outlook is unrealistic and you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Focus on leaving that 2% bracket before looking at that 24% bracket. Mention "webOS" to the average consumer and you'll be met with a blank stare. That's what HP has to overcome before gaining any type of traction.
    again as im stating is this is what CAN happen. Even if you think Im implying what will happen, I dont have a clue no one does, so obviously this is an opinion correct. Im far from dumb to think money equals success, so come on now. Obviously HP knew what Webos's market share was before they entered their first bid (and believe me webos was slidding bad at that point as we all know). Though if I'm a person putting up a forcast of what might happen, who are you to say its unrealistic? But since your the expert on things, and have facts what is going to happen then, please tell us?
    Ok, but HP are huge, HP have money, HP have developers and the capability, the power, the strength to get any developer they want on the planet to develop apps for their platforms.

I think you might be underestimating the huge leverage HP have in the computing world.

We're talking about the future here, not the god-awful webOS present, because right now I definitely would not want to sign a 2-year contract on a webOS phone, but hopefully by May, when my contract expires, things will have turned around a little.
    I don't think I'm underestimating HP. I just think both Android and iOS are better options from top to bottom for almost any smartphone customer and that presents a very serious problem for webOS. Google and Apple don't have to ask, beg, or pay developers to publish apps on their platforms -- they already exist.

With webOS, HP is saying "you have to give up on a lot of stuff right now but there's a chance this thing could work out down the line."

Yeah, I can see some sort of HP only software for HP servers that could allow you to remotely monitor them from your HPalm phone and no other phone. I'm not talking about just a standard VPN, but something more user friendly on a mobile device with a 3.5" - 4" screen size. Heck, maybe even an exhibition mode that constantly shows server loads, running tasks, etc... Something like this would help push webOS for IT professionals.
    Then, by logical extension, shouldn't WebOS developer momentum have increased after the acquisition rather than slow to a crawl with big name developers leaving?
    Isn't this true for any product in any industry ever, tho? X cereal poses a threat to General Mills if it's launched correctly and the masses "adopt to it". X car poses a threat to Honda and Toyota is it's launched correctly and the masses "adopt to it". Essentially, you're saying HP could win this battle if everybody else loses.
    correct in a sense, though we all know in a smartphone battle your only a winner if your company sees a profit from it right? So regardless if Apple, Google, Microsoft, or Rim wins or looses, as long as HP makes a profit in the smartphone market they win correct? As stated the reason I believe Webos poses a bigger threat now then before with Palm, is finacial. To me the reason why Palm failed was essentially unable to scale, market, and produce hardware that the masses would adopt. To me the reason for that was because Palm never had the captiol to do so. Now HP does, and has even decided to keep a portion of Palm on board internally. So in my head you have the pieces to become a threat with a operating system people really did love at the begining, but ultimatly either didnt like the inferior specs or hardware, or did not get a chance to use it before the market share fell to the floor.
    Just because they can, doesn't mean they will. The same info is just getting recycled over and over again. We all have our opinions, maybe it's just best for everyone who has any interest wait until the 9th.
    I don't think I'm underestimating HP. I just think both Android and iOS are better options from top to bottom for almost any smartphone customer and that presents a very serious problem for webOS. Google and Apple don't have to ask, beg, or pay developers to publish apps on their platforms -- they already exist.

With webOS, HP is saying "you have to give up on a lot of stuff right now but there's a chance this thing could work out down the line."
    but didnt Apple, and Google have to do that at one point, before they ended up where they are today?
    Then, by logical extension, shouldn't WebOS developer momentum have increased after the acquisition rather than slow to a crawl with big name developers leaving?
    Not true, with no real new hardware, it's hard to generate user base growth. Without growth, it is hard to rope in new developers. They need new compelling hardware before (or just after) pushing hard on acquiring new devs/apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcharles718 View Post
    Just because they can, doesn't mean they will. The same info is just getting recycled over and over again. We all have our opinions, maybe it's just best for everyone who has any interest wait until the 9th.
    correct and thats all I, and anyone else is saying. So if people understand that, why argue with people looking at the glass half full, and being optimistic on what CAN happen?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

to me , my family, and some friends, we all agree that not only there is nothing awful in webos , but we would get the pre 2 right now. its a perfect phone, perfect os. the only reason not to get it, is to see what comes out on feb. 9
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast