View Poll Results: What are your plans?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just waiting for pre-orders on the 2nd.

9 5.39%
  • I'll wait until after the 9th to decide.

44 26.35%
  • Sticking it out.

34 20.36%
  • PAAAAAALM!!!!

80 47.90%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Uhmm... watch android do it lol... android breathes out smart phones lol.

Sent From Tapatalk.
    As hot as iPhone and Android are, one or both would have to eat the vast majority of Symbian and RIM's worldwide userbase to get to those numbers, and I don't see that happening soon even with both of those platforms' current rate of decline.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    As hot as iPhone and Android are, one or both would have to eat the vast majority of Symbian and RIM's worldwide userbase to get to those numbers, and I don't see that happening soon even with both of those platforms' current rate of decline.
    Are we talking about worldwide userbase or U. S userbase? Because its pretty easy to do that in here, but its hard to do it worldwide.

Sent From Tapatalk.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    I said worldwide.
    I said worldwide.
    Yeah you're right. I didn't quite catch that part at first. Taking symbian and rim away from europe wont be a very easy task. Im not too sure android can take europe but im confident that ios can. What do you think?

Sent From Tapatalk.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    I believe that HP's and Palm's constant talks about the "coming months" for the "previous months" is doing a lot more harm to them than they realize. By everyone knowing(specially here) nothing factual coming up in the "months", some here are looking at their options and thinking about moving on. Maybe they need to hit rock bottom to finally make their way back up. I have been an avid PreCentral for almost a year and a half and only finally buying a pre recently. It really changes the perspective of the mobile marketplace and the spot that webOS is currently in. What the guys at Palm and HP need to ask themselves is why are we in the situtation we're in now?
    Quote Originally Posted by xcharles718 View Post
    I believe that HP's and Palm's constant talks about the "coming months" for the "previous months" is doing a lot more harm to them than they realize. By everyone knowing(specially here) nothing factual coming up in the "months", some here are looking at their options and thinking about moving on. Maybe they need to hit rock bottom to finally make their way back up.
    I think having your product EOLed or not carried in the first place by most US carriers with announcements of new product still a month away is pretty much rock bottom.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Like Nappy says....it's hardly a sucker punch.
    I meant 'sucker-punch' sarcastically, hence the inverted comas. Also I'm sure they weren't waiting for HP/Palm to make their move, but if they were planning on announcing it at some point around then, they could easily have shifted the date by a day or two simply to try and dominate the tech media with VZW iPhone 4 stories.
    Last edited by max167; 01/11/2011 at 03:31 PM.
    I think having your product EOLed or not carried in the first place by most US carriers with announcements of new product still a month away is pretty much rock bottom.
    Seems like they didn't realize that yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by max167 View Post
    I meant 'sucker-punch' sarcastically, hence the inverted comas. Also I'm sure they weren't waiting for HP/Palm to make their move, but if they were planning on announcing it at some point around then, they could easily have shifted the date by a day or two simply to try and dominate the tech media with VZW iPhione 4 stories.
    Why would they have to "try" anything, tho? The very possibility of today has been a recurring theme in countless articles for months. Whenever they decided to do it, they would have the floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by max167 View Post
    I meant 'sucker-punch' sarcastically, hence the inverted comas. Also I'm sure they weren't waiting for HP/Palm to make their move, but if they were planning on announcing it at some point around then, they could easily have shifted the date by a day or two simply to try and dominate the tech media with VZW iPhione 4 stories.
    Maybe it's just me but there's something fundamentally wrong when HP's success hinges on announcing their product on a slow news day.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I'm sure it won't affect the success of any products, I'm just speculating about possible Apple motives.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I mean...beyond the fact that Apple probably doesn't care about webOS on any level, we heard solid details about a January announcement for the CDMA iPhone 4 back in the summer of 2010.

Calling the February 10th release date a sucker punch is so inaccurate. It's more like HP deciding to play Frogger on a freeway.
    well i highly doubt Apple doesnt care about webos (def now that HP is behind them) since webos could be another threat to Apple like android is will always be a concern. Though yes this is no low blow at all, and has nothing to do with a launch date a day after HP's event.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    well i highly doubt Apple doesnt care about webos (def now that HP is behind them) since webos could be another threat to Apple like android is will always be a concern. Though yes this is no low blow at all, and has nothing to do with a launch date a day after HP's event.
    In all seriousness, what has Apple done or said to indicate that they feel Palm or HP could ever be a threat to them? HP has never threatened a single Apple consumer electronics product line, to my knowledge. So I'm curious about the thinking here.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Yes, but what does HP have going for it, right now? No real US carrier partner. No mindshare. Single digit market-share. Smallest app ecosystem. Failed launch in 2009. Nothing to speak of for 2010. No phones in stores. Last to bring out a tablet. And, they are dropping the "Palm" brand because it has lost its cache.

They do have a user interface that some people like.
    lol well first anything pre 07/10 was not HP's doing. Again for you only since I told you this before why not wait to see what is announced 2/09 before you try to go in on HP since they announced a date. On dropping the palm name, I would too since their brand name worldwide is larger then that of Apples. Funny I figure you'll be one of those people to dissappear from this site, still bash webos just in spite, or through subtle compliants its way if webos takes off. Sad huh
    As of Feb 2010, iOS is on half of all smartphones in the world. Half. webOS didn't even get named on the chart, lumped in with "Other", which comprised 2%. 2%, like the milk. webOS does not, will not and has never threatened the folks at Cupertino. Can they get up to that 24% that Android commands? Probably not without licensing the OS to proven OEMs like HTC, Moto, Sammy, etc. And a massive marketing overhaul. I want webOS to blow up, just like any other fan of it here, but I'm a realist. It's going to take a lot to do that, and taking years and years to do it won't work, because during that time Android, iOS and now WP7 (which, btw, launched with an app catalog as big as webOS's year and half old catalog) will continue to grow and improve.
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    In all seriousness, what has Apple done or said to indicate that they feel Palm or HP could ever be a threat to them? HP has never threatened a single Apple consumer electronics product line, to my knowledge. So I'm curious about the thinking here.
    oh no Im not stating they did, never have and even with products I dont think so. Im saying Apple most likely looks at webos, meego etc in the mobile space because they could become another competitor, how is that odd thinking? Businesses always look at competitors big and small, and now that HP is behind webos with a chance to make something of webos, Id put my money that they will keep a eye on webos now which to me is very smart. You dont have to agree, thats my thinking which is my opinion.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    HP is huge, and for the first time they're making a serious fully fledged attempt on a market they dominate. Steve Jobs is neither stupid, nor arrogant enough to believe that HP won't pose a possible serious threat.

Everything's moving to the cloud. I'm using a computer connected to a Citrix 'cloud' network at the moment. Microsoft are investing heavily in cloud technology. HP bought up whoever it was (that cloud computing company who's name eludes me). If HP/Palm play their cards right they could be on to something big. People want iPhones because they're cool and (used to be) exclusive, a fashion icon. Now I'm not saying that's gonna change immediately, but Apple are becoming to big for their own good and people are beginning to see through them. When everyones got an iPhone what's cool about it? HP/Palm need to make they're new products amazing, but they also have to be cool.

People favour underdogs, and WebOS is clearly the best rounded mobileOS (I had to live for an HTC Legend for a while while my Pixi was being repaired, oh the irony, and hated it). Phones etc. are fashion statements as much as they are mobile devices, and fashions change, and new seasons come in. Apple are too samey. Its time for someone else to make their mark.

Like I said, Steve Jobs isn't stupid, he knows that Apple are being threatened from all sides, and a company as big as HP is going to be another serious threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    As of Feb 2010, iOS is on half of all smartphones in the world. Half. webOS didn't even get named on the chart, lumped in with "Other", which comprised 2%. 2%, like the milk. webOS does not, will not and has never threatened the folks at Cupertino. Can they get up to that 24% that Android commands? Probably not without licensing the OS to proven OEMs like HTC, Moto, Sammy, etc. And a massive marketing overhaul. I want webOS to blow up, just like any other fan of it here, but I'm a realist. It's going to take a lot to do that, and taking years and years to do it won't work, because during that time Android, iOS and now WP7 (which, btw, launched with an app catalog as big as webOS's year and half old catalog) will continue to grow and improve.
    again (wow think about what Im saying before replying) this is all before HP has announced any new products under HP's name. Is it feb yet? your talking about numbers before HP has stepped in and released a HP product (not the pre 2 either). So again even Google, and microsoft will be watching webos, only now because of HP is behind them regardless of what the anti webos people think. Now if it was just Palm still, with the reputation and stats you posted above then I would say hell no they wouldnt care, but again this is now a different story right.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    As of Feb 2010, iOS is on half of all smartphones in the world. Half.
    Huh?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    oh no Im not stating they did, never have and even with products I dont think so. Im saying Apple most likely looks at webos, meego etc in the mobile space because they could become another competitor, how is that odd thinking? Businesses always look at competitors big and small, and now that HP is behind webos with a chance to make something of webos, Id put my money that they will keep a eye on webos now which to me is very smart. You dont have to agree, thats my thinking which is my opinion.
    Well said. Apple are not going to underestimate WebOS because they started off as a tiny company challenging IBM and look where they are today. Obviously thats a much bigger time scale and drawing real parallels between the two is impossible, but Apple know WebOS is quite good, they know it could be big, and they're surely going to want to crush it asap. A threats a threat whether they consider it big or small (though by my reckoning HP=Big). I think we need to start thinking about the fact that its Hewlett-Packard now, and not Palm.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast