View Poll Results: What are your plans?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just waiting for pre-orders on the 2nd.

9 5.39%
  • I'll wait until after the 9th to decide.

44 26.35%
  • Sticking it out.

34 20.36%
  • PAAAAAALM!!!!

80 47.90%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    funny too that FCC approval is just now leaked, and a release date of 02/10 is imment. So we do know a phone can be approved and released less then 30 days between each other. Heres hoping Webos devices will be that fast as well.

iPhone 4 with CDMA for Verizon gets FCC approval, right on time -- Engadget
    <haven't read the thread at all>

What does the VZW iPhone mean for HP/Palm?

First off, as I saw the question posed on the Precentral front page, with all due respect..I doubt Apple did this even thinking [or knowing] that HPs announcement is the day before.

Now, to answer the question at hand.

It means the market just got even tougher.
    And with the Verizon deal NOT being exclusive on CDMA, it means that Sprint can [and you know they will when they can] pick up the iPhone.

So if you're going to get in the game you'd better do it. And do it now.
    Whatever is announced Feb 9 better be out before March 9th.

I honestly don't know how HP is going to compete with all of what has happened this year.
    They bought Palm the middle of last year.

The announcements SHOULD HAVE CAME right before the holiday season.
    They knew that CES 2011 was going to be ridiculous.
    They knew that the CDMA iPhone was imminent.

Anyway, there's my answer to this question.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    funny too that FCC approval is just now leaked, and a release date of 02/10 is imment. So we do know a phone can be approved and released less then 30 days between each other. Heres hoping Webos devices will be that fast as well.

iPhone 4 with CDMA for Verizon gets FCC approval, right on time -- Engadget
    Yeah, but the difference is that the iPhone has been tested on Verizon's network for several months and has no carrier customization whatsoever. You can bet HP's WebOS offerings will not be so lucky, nor will have accumulated the same lengthy testing.

Nothing against HP or WebOS, BTW. Everyone in the US carrier game has to bear with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    19% want the new iPhone. Add it to the existing 25% market share that the iPhone has and you end up with 44% market share which is nothing to sneeze at.
    I highly doubt ANY player in this market is getting 44 percent share any time soon.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Apple's decision to try and 'sucker-punch' again and Steve Jobs' (infrequent) referrals to Palm suggest to me one thing. Apple is scared of HP/Palm. If HP launch an intergrated ecosystem of WebOS products based on the cloud (Printers, tablets, smartphones, netbooks etc) they could quite easily dominate the market. HP know it. Rubinstein knows it. Apple knows it. 2011 will be a big year for WebOS.

Or am i just letting my imagination run wild?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    19% want the new iPhone. Add it to the existing 25% market share that the iPhone has and you end up with 44% market share which is nothing to sneeze at.
    That 19% is not all new customers. There are still people running around with iPhone 3, 3gs, 2, etc. phones that could jump from ATT to VZW. Heck some may even have an iPhone 4 and are just looking to get away from ATT.
    Last edited by sinime; 01/11/2011 at 02:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by max167 View Post
    Yes.

Sorry but, if Apple is "afraid" of anything, it's Android after 2010.

The release of the iPhone has nothing to do with what's going on Feb 9.
    Apple's decision to try and 'sucker-punch' again and Steve Jobs' (infrequent) referrals to Palm suggest to me one thing. Apple is scared of HP/Palm. If HP launch an intergrated ecosystem of WebOS products based on the cloud (Printers, tablets, smartphones, netbooks etc) they could quite easily dominate the market. HP know it. Rubinstein knows it. Apple knows it. 2011 will be a big year for WebOS.

I mean...beyond the fact that Apple probably doesn't care about webOS on any level, we heard solid details about a January announcement for the CDMA iPhone 4 back in the summer of 2010.

Calling the February 10th release date a sucker punch is so inaccurate. It's more like HP deciding to play Frogger on a freeway.
    I'm sure the the feb. 10 release date was decided before the Feb. 9th announcement. They may have slid the the date a little just because, but I doubt Apple was sitting on warehouses of these phones just waiting for Palm to make an announcement before releasing them.
    Pretty much, if palm doesnt announce something big, they might as well forget it. They better not be planning on releasing the Pre 2 only. I have an evo now, but Palm might as well call it quits if they are deciding on releasing mediocre product like only a pre 2 or yet again promise to release a new phone in "coming months".

Sent From Tapatalk.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    I feel a thread move coming on...
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Lmao.. apple is not scared of hp palm. Regardless of whatever phone palm introduces, apple will release another phone in june to surpass those specs. Hopefully webos has been fixed because palm wont have a chance if its still the same by march.

Sent From Tapatalk.

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

i dont know if apple is scared, or at least they should be scared. huge things are coming from hp. for sure.
    i start reading in many places that the next big thing this year is synergy,and the cloud. thats where hp is going.
    February 10th is a Thursday when Verizon phones typically launch. It's also the last Thursday before MWC, but the furthest from CES. That was always an ideal date for the CDMA iPhone on Verizon, and HP should've thought of that.

Like Nappy says....it's hardly a sucker punch.
    Haha... well i didnt know where else to post it. Darn, i should have some how mad it related to the palm pre.

At the end of the day, im still a webos f anboy. When bettrr hardware and more apps come, ill come back! Promise!

Sent From Tapatalk.

<<proving verwon is a sooth-sayer>>

@Jason - I'm pretty sure HP has some great news coming up. It may not be perfect (ie: new device releases spread out), but it should be good At any rate, this is going to be an amazing year in the mobile industry for phones of all brands.
    << and yet another thread merged>>
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/11/2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I highly doubt ANY player in this market is getting 44 percent share any time soon.
    Uhmm... watch android do it lol... android breathes out smart phones lol.

Sent From Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    i dont know if apple is scared, or at least they should be scared. huge things are coming from hp. for sure.
    i start reading in many places that the next big thing this year is synergy,and the cloud. thats where hp is going.
    All Apple has to do is make an enterprise version of MobileMe. That should head off HP. In the consumer space, syncing Google data is what matters most, and people can do that on almost any platform these days.
    This also means that sprint might get it too. I could careless about the iphone but i want palm to feel the flame and start making better phones so i can buy them. And they need to be more public with their developments. You need to atleast give people some specs and information so they can be excited. You just keep it all to yourself or else you'll have to go sell your phone in france again.

Sent From Tapatalk.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast