View Poll Results: What are your plans?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just waiting for pre-orders on the 2nd.

9 5.39%
  • I'll wait until after the 9th to decide.

44 26.35%
  • Sticking it out.

34 20.36%
  • PAAAAAALM!!!!

80 47.90%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Now that verizon will be getting the iphone i feel like ATT will be taking a hit and will need something big for their company. Enter HP's new devices! i can dream... lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I saw recently a pie chart with HP's revenue sources (sorry, don't remember where), and hardware was about 30-35% of their revenue.
    shows also they made 26b in services (only 13.4 in storage and servers).

also interesting about the article in regards to the IT services:

HP's announcement addresses the impact of mobile devices -- though HP hasn't detailed the specific products and services that it will be offering. Nonetheless, the inclusion of mobile devices is welcome news for IT groups that are struggling to handle the proliferation of smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices, Enderle says. "It's a high concern right now. It represents a huge unplanned time sink and potential security risk for the IT organizations, so they're looking for a lot of help right now, from a variety of companies, to get their arms around this."

HP unfurls Instant-On initiative

Personal Systems Group, Imaging & Printing Group, and Enterprise Storage & Servers total up to 68% of HP's revenue. Services is an additional 28% which consist of integration and technology services. Software adds 3% and Financial adds 1% to full the pie
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    Now that verizon will be getting the iphone i feel like ATT will be taking a hit and will need something big for their company. Enter HP's new devices! i can dream... lol.
    they will take a hit, I do see AT&T taking up android of course which at this point would be very smart since WP7 is doing good, but will not be a short term game changer. Webos hopefully, and heres to hope they announce devices on all 4 carriers within a reasonable time frame too. Though I just really think VZ will get alot of their feature phone, BB rich customers to convert over to the iphone. Its simple, easy to use, and is more proven then anything else out there including Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcharles718 View Post

Personal Systems Group, Imaging & Printing Group, and Enterprise Storage & Servers total up to 68% of HP's revenue. Services is an additional 28% which consist of integration and technology services. Software adds 3% and Financial adds 1% to full the pie
    good find, now to you personally do you think with what they are profitable with currently, will carry over to the smartphone market?

You are correct. I just remembered the PSG numbers.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post

They are clearly looking to throw that all in to see if they can compete in the smartphone business.
    Definitely, you're not reasonable. Who's talking about throwing anything?
    Newness Developments apps:

we also have to see, if the money they are dumping into the smartphone, and tablet relm (with Webos), how much of that will hurt their bottom line if it dosent take off intially.
    its means webOS toasters with SSL technology,DLNA support, and Exchange compatibility.

How to put it all together is the problem. Just because you have the parts, doesn't mean you have the know-how or skills to put it together
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    they will take a hit, I do see AT&T taking up android of course which at this point would be very smart since WP7 is doing good, but will not be a short term game changer. Webos hopefully, and heres to hope they announce devices on all 4 carriers within a reasonable time frame too. Though I just really think VZ will get alot of their feature phone, BB rich customers to convert over to the iphone. Its simple, easy to use, and is more proven then anything else out there including Android.
    ya, i have sprint and am one of the many people waiting but i would love for webOS to release on all carriers and even all around the world. that's what HP needs to do with webOS to get it moving.
    its means webOS toasters with SSL technology,DLNA support, and Exchange compatibility.
    those too, seriously though do you think it will carry over in the smartphone market?

How to put it all together is the problem. Just because you have the parts, doesn't mean you have the know-how or skills to put it together
    but isnt a smartphone essiantially a scaled down PC? I look at it as if they know how to sell printers, computers, etc. If they have Palm a pioneer in the smartphone relm for years running with them, I dont see why they wouldnt know how to put it altogether. Though of couse all speculation at this point.
    My point is that every fourth post, here, says something to the effect that "HP will do [whatever] because they have a lot of money to spend" - which is ridiculous. Any diverse company has a risk/reward analysis that is done before they spend money on a big project. Getting heavily into the smartphone innovation race for HP is far from a given.
    In all fairness, HP has said publicly that they are prepared to spend way more than they spent to acquire Palm in order to make this purchase work. The question is what part of the "connected devices" is going to get the most of that largesse. I highly doubt it'll be evenly spread. SOMETHING has to be the primary driver of WebOS, and we'll find out on February 9 whether it's tablets or smartphones.
    @UntidyGuy

Yeah, but MSFT thought it too literally. Their old OS really was the desktop version scaled down.

Smartphones are PCs. You can now do the majority of daily tasks on a smartphone. BUT there are still some things that simply cannot be done yet, and why I still hang on to laptops and home internet.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    How to put it all together is the problem. Just because you have the parts, doesn't mean you have the know-how or skills to put it together.

They'll have to at least try right? The thing is what does the market need that it doesn't already have and how can webOS capitalize on that without being view has the copycat of other, more popular mobile OS's. Thats what HPalm needs to do NOW, not "in the coming months". Have an open forum in which people can say whats wrong(and right) with webOS and have mods have weekly meetings with engineers and devs to get these problems fixed and needs of the users resolved. Its working for Microsoft with WP7 and for Sprint with its constant improvements in its Customer interaction. If your phone and its manufacturer's listen to you, wouldn't you be an return customer?
    My point is that every fourth post, here, says something to the effect that "HP will do [whatever] because they have a lot of money to spend" - which is ridiculous. Any diverse company has a risk/reward analysis that is done before they spend money on a big project. Getting heavily into the smartphone innovation race for HP is far from a given.

That's what Microsoft thought. The answer turned out to be "NO". And that's why they have been killed in this market.
    I feel your point, and I hope not to imply the ladder. I for one try to state that this all can blow up in HP's face, though I feel IMO they will be fine with just not being a succesful company with boats of cash, but also keeping Palm internally to help them realize what potential Palm intially had for Webos. This of course is my opinion not FACTS. Though you will continue to hear from other people wether facts (prob not), or opinions that HP will do just the sort because they do have money. You will hear this because this website of course caters to people who support Webos, who supported Palm, and now of course the new owners HP. As well as WP7 I cant speculate due to the OS being still new, and not on any CDMA carriers yet. To me its to early to say WP7 has failed in the market, and I believe they will do just fine as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    In all fairness, HP has said publicly that they are prepared to spend way more than they spent to acquire Palm in order to make this purchase work. The question is what part of the "connected devices" is going to get the most of that largesse. I highly doubt it'll be evenly spread. SOMETHING has to be the primary driver of WebOS, and we'll find out on February 9 whether it's tablets or smartphones.
    thats a very good point, and didnt really think about that. If you do, lets say smartphones dont take off, and lets say tablets due (running webos) will HP stop supporting smartphones to some extint? Since we are talking about a full computer company, not just a smartphone company (palm).
    How to put it all together is the problem. Just because you have the parts, doesn't mean you have the know-how or skills to put it together.

They'll have to at least try right? The thing is what does the market need that it doesn't already have and how can webOS capitalize on that without being view has the copycat of other, more popular mobile OS's. Thats what HPalm needs to do NOW, not "in the coming months". Have an open forum in which people can say whats wrong(and right) with webOS and have mods have weekly meetings with engineers and devs to get these problems fixed and needs of the users resolved. Its working for Microsoft with WP7 and for Sprint with its constant improvements in its Customer interaction. If your phone and its manufacturer's listen to you, wouldn't you be an return customer?

Oh I def agree with you on that, and of course we all don't know what HP is, and has been doing since the acquistion. We still may not even know after 02/09 show. Though I agree with those ideas you stated, and hopefully HP is moving as fast as they can to release hardware to the massess, as well as full support. Again as you stated we only know what HP intends on letting us know. The difference I really dont like, but we are not dealing with Palm anymore, we are dealing with a huge corporation.
    Verizon is getting the iPhone 4. Hopefully, we are getting several WebOS phones, tablets, netbooks, and printers. All sharing the same design and function. Most improtantly, all sporting WebOS.
    I know polls don't mean a whole lot, but if you look at the one on Engadget, here are the numbers as I type...

Try and stop me! I'm abandoning all old contracts and jumping on board.
    5884 (11.6%)

I'll wait for my current deal to expire before upgrading.
    3753 (7.4%)

Verizon's LTE-enabled phones are more appealing, so the answer's "no" until it gets 4G.
    6737 (13.3%)

I'll wait for the iPhone 5 before pulling the trigger.
    10436 (20.6%)

If I were to get the iPhone 4, it'd be on AT&T's network.
    2331 (4.6%)

Nope.
    21497 (42.5%)

Only 19% want the phone, the rest will either pass, wait for a 4G version or wait for iPhone5. Yeah 19% may not be as low as it sounds, but from the way everyone else seems to see the news, the sky is falling and everyone is jumping to V for an iPhone.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/a...izon-iphone-4/

EDIT: the more I think about it, the top 2 are "yes", middle 2 are "no waiting for newer version" and the bottom 2 are "no", so the poll should read:

Yes: 19%
    No waiting for better version: 33.9%
    Heck No: 47.1%

Also, I should note that the middle, waiting for a better version crowd could probably care less about Verison and if ATT got a 4G version first, that's where they would be.
    Last edited by sinime; 01/11/2011 at 01:59 PM.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast