View Poll Results: What are your plans?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just waiting for pre-orders on the 2nd.

9 5.39%
  • I'll wait until after the 9th to decide.

44 26.35%
  • Sticking it out.

34 20.36%
  • PAAAAAALM!!!!

80 47.90%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's great and they also outsell them in printers and cameras as well I believe - what's the relevance to smart-phones? If we were going off the "this company is massive so this has to work" theory, we'd all be posting on google buzz or Ping.

I'm not saying that HP might not make a dent in the smartphone market but it's not the foregone conclusion that some present it as.
    I think the theory is HP can afford to drain their coffers in an attempt to force success on webOS.

Wow, I don't think I've ever used the word "coffers" before.

I don't see it happening but that could be because I've seen HP pay people to use webOS before (in the form of free phones plus a gift card) and their customers still wouldn't bite.

(there's also the matter of fiscal responsibility and being accountable to shareholders...)
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post

I have, but only when tapping one for BBBBBBB
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    I think the theory is HP can afford to drain their coffers in an attempt to force success on webOS.

I don't see it happening but that could be because I've seen HP pay people to use webOS before (in the form of free phones plus a gift card) and their customers still wouldn't bite.

(there's also the matter of fiscal responsibility and being accountable to shareholders...)
    you're sort of getting the idea, my point in short is, "HP hasn't YET givin the world their mobile strategy, they spent lots of cash on Palm, and it wasn't ONLY to sell smartphones, it was to sell all types of mobile devices, since the PC market is taking a hit from smaller more mobile devices, HP decided mobile devices are the future and may even be a bigger market than PC's, so they decided to invest heavily to get into thatMarket. We will be hearing their strategy on FEB 9 until then they haven't even STARTED their game.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    you're sort of getting the idea, my point in short is, "HP hasn't YET givin the world their mobile strategy, they spent lots of cash on Palm, and it wasn't ONLY to sell smartphones, it was to sell all types of mobile devices, since the PC market is taking a hit from smaller more mobile devices, HP decided mobile devices are the future and may even be a bigger market than PC's, so they decided to invest heavily to get into thatMarket. We will be hearing their strategy on FEB 9 until then they haven't even STARTED their game.
    It's not just Palm's purchase, but all the purchases they've done since then. HP's position in the market depends entirely on what they do with the mobile market in the next 10 years, and here is where webOS has it's place.

It's not just phones.
    Newness Developments apps:

again for all the people still coming at HP, without any knowledge of whats going on internally (we all have no real knowledge). They do intend on dumping money that they have alot of, into webos and the mobile space:

Let’s take a look at the stories behind HP’s acquisitions in 2010.

Palm Inc. (Acquired in April 2010)
    HP inaugurated its buying spree this year, when it acquired ailing smartphone maker-Palm for $1.2 billion. This acquisition took everyone by surprise as HP who itself had failed to gain a foothold in the mobile space with its iPAQ range of handsets was now planning to revive Palm’s fortunes. However, HP claimed that rather than Palm, it was the Palm webOS that it was more interested in as it would give them a competitive edge in the ever growing smart device space. Though we are still to see this dream turn to reality, there have been rumors that HP will launch a webOS-based tablet in Q1 of next year. Only till such time we can just hope HP actually succeeds resurrecting Palm to its former glory.

Melodeo (Acquired in June 2010)
    After Palm, it was Seattle-based Melodeo’s turn to join the HP clan. The primary motive behind this acquisition seemed to be HP’s attempt to take on Apple’s iTunes as Melodeo’s flagship product nuTsie competes with iTunes by enabling users to shop, download, and listen to music on their mobile phones.

Combined with Palm’s acquisition a couple of months earlier, HP can now build a complete ecosystem comprising of hardware, platform, and application store, much like competitors RIM, Nokia, and Apple. All this points to the fact that HP is seriously planning to position itself as a strong competitor in the mobile space.

Fortify Software (Acquired in August 2010)
    After a acquiring two companies, which were not in line to its core business, HP turned its attention to Fortify Software, a California-based software vendor whose products protect businesses from the threats posed by security flaws in software applications. With the acquisition of Fortify, HP expects to offer a complete solution to help organizations reduce business risk, meet compliance regulations and protect against malicious application attacks.

Stratavia (Acquired in August 2010)
    Within a span of few days of acquiring Fortify, HP struck again by acquiring Denver-based Stratavia for an undisclosed sum. Stratavia specializes in stack automation for physical, virtual, and cloud infrastructure. According to HP, these solutions will help its customers simplify application deployment and management in hybrid IT environments, which consist of on-premise, off-premise, physical and virtual environments.

3PAR (Acquired in September 2010)
    The mother of all acquisitions this year was that of 3PAR by HP. This acquisition was all over the news considering the bidding and counter-bidding efforts between HP and Dell. It all started when Dell announced that it would acquire 3PAR for $1.5 billion and HP jumped in to the fray with its $1.6 billion counter-bid. Following HP’s offer, Dell raised its bid to $1.6 billion, which HP countered with its $1.8 billion offer. However, within hours of Dell managing to match this price, HP increased its offer to $ 2 billion. This time instead of only matching HP’s bid, Dell actually upped its bid to $ 2.1 billion. But, once again HP, with its too strong to resist bid of $ 2.35 billion managed to grab 3PAR. The final amount paid by HP was 10 times more than 3PAR’s revenue for 2009.

3PAR’s acquisition caused many to comment that HP had overbid for a company that had not made any profits since it went public back in 2007. If you too feel what made HP shell out this huge amount, the simple answer is cloud computing. With cloud computing gaining prominence by the day, HP did not want lose its share of pie in this space. As a provider of utility storage for both public as well as private cloud, 3PAR is important for HP as it gives the latter a competitive edge in the cloud storage space. By buying 3PAR, HP can now combine 3PAR’s virtualized storage solutions with its own, thereby offering an unparalleled storage, server, and networking portfolio.

ArcSight (Acquired in September 2010)
    Post its acquisition of Fortify, HP felt that it further needed to strengthen its security offerings, especially in the cloud, and as a result spent $1.5 billion to buy ArcSight, an enterprise security management provider. HP believes that the combination of ArcSight’s security products and its own will provide businesses the ability to proactively monitor real-time events, assess risks and respond quickly to threats.

HP’s six acquisitions this year shows that the firm is determined be a strong player in the growing mobile and cloud space. While there are already established players in these segments, it will be interesting to see how HP manages to take on Android, Apple and RIM on the mobile front and CA and EMC in the cloud space.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    It's not just Palm's purchase, but all the purchases they've done since then. HP's position in the market depends entirely on what they do with the mobile market in the next 10 years, and here is where webOS has it's place.

It's not just phones.
    correct, and for all the blind look at the post above. Its not going to be a fast or easy thing for HP and Palm to do, but they intend on making a move in the mobile industry. So yes there are positive people on here who support Webos (hmm this is a palm, webos site go figure).
    Not to make the mood even more dim, but HP getting involved outside of their core business doesn't generally turn out well...
    -Cameras
    -iPods with Apple
    -Itanium chip with Intel
    -iPaq(kinda since that's was part of Compaq)
    -Compaq

and others, maybe they should move that Feb 9 date up a few days, or weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcharles718 View Post
    Not to make the mood even more dim, but HP getting involved outside of their core business doesn't generally turn out well...
    -Cameras
    -iPods with Apple
    -Itanium chip with Intel
    -iPaq(kinda since that's was part of Compaq)
    -Compaq

and others, maybe they should move that Feb 9 date up a few days, or weeks.

true, but their bottom line is they are still profitable though(more then most companys, and their competitors). As well as regarding mobile space the Ipaq line was using WM, which has been on a decline with the original Palm OS for years.
    My Facebook stream is full of this today: 2011-01-11 at 10:25.png
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It certainly looks like HP has been doing a lot of buying. As a consumer, that's not what I'm particularly interested in, though. I'm wondering when they are going to start selling things. Like smartphones and tablets, which they have not been doing much of lately.

Nice to see that there is such a thing as an HP Fanb0y. I didn't think it was possible.
    not a ****** homie watch your mouth. All Im stating is the obvious, they make money correct? Alot of it correct? So unless you have insider information on what they intend on selling, and if it will be profitable or not your statement dosent hold any weight correct? Do you know how long it takes a business to buy companies, intergrate it into their system, then release products if so please enlighten us. If stating facts about a company makes me a ******, please elaborate on why?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    wow, prob going to get madd worse too. Next up twitter spam.
    It certainly looks like HP has been doing a lot of buying. As a consumer, that's not what I'm particularly interested in, though. I'm wondering when they are going to start selling things. Like smartphones and tablets, which they have not been doing much of lately.

Nice to see that there is such a thing as an HP Fanb0y. I didn't think it was possible.
    and again if dont intend on supporting HP, Palm, or Webos on a website clearly for full support then go elsewhere logical huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    true, but their bottom line is they are still profitable though(more then most companys, and their competitors). As well as regarding mobile space the Ipaq line was using WM, which has been on a decline with the original Palm OS for years.
    But, are they profitable outside of their core business(PC's and Servers)?
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    and again if dont intend on supporting HP, Palm, or Webos on a website clearly for full support then go elsewhere logical huh.
    Hey genius, this is Cross-Platform Chat. I think you should just stick to the other section of the forum if you can't deal with the fact.
    right thats what Im saying, the Ipaq of course was not, and no one knows if they will be with webos as a smartphone. Something we have to wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Hey genius, this is Cross-Platform Chat. I think you should just stick to the other section of the forum if you can't deal with the fact.
    right, but dont they have cross platform chat on android, BB, Iphone website too genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That's pretty cool.

For every person who beats their chest and says "but it's 7 months old" or "but it doesn't have cards," there are probably a hundred people that are genuinely happy and excited about it. I think that's what makes this a real event launch.
    That's pretty cool.

For every person who beats their chest and says "but it's 7 months old" or "but it doesn't have cards," there are probably a hundred people that are genuinely happy and excited about it. I think that's what makes this a real event launch.
    of course its the IPHONE, a proven successful moblie product for years. With just the sales they make yearly (which imporves drasticly every year)It will only double now its on two carriers. So in this case only yes you make an event for the same device thats 7 months old.
    I saw recently a pie chart with HP's revenue sources (sorry, don't remember where), and hardware was about 30-35% of their revenue.

Nice. Then don't especulate about webOS success in the foreseeable future, because you don't have anything to speculate with: just a hidden Palm Pre 2 launch, no background of HP's movements, only an announcement date... maybe they're going to tell us they're dropping webOS.

The word "fact" has been asked in every post from complainers like you. Here are your facts, so don't come now to say that's irrelevant, because it's absolutely relevant.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast