View Poll Results: What are your plans?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just waiting for pre-orders on the 2nd.

9 5.39%
  • I'll wait until after the 9th to decide.

44 26.35%
  • Sticking it out.

34 20.36%
  • PAAAAAALM!!!!

80 47.90%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    webOS, not HP. If the hardware announced doesn't blow the doors off everything released at CES, and if the marketing remains what it's been (what's Palm/webOS mindshare right now?) you can kiss webOS mobile devices goodbye and stare wistfully at HP's printer control screens...
    webOS is going to be around for a long, long, time. ...on many, many devices. you don't spend billions to give up after a few months.

Feb. will be here soon.
    I feel bad for HP/Palm. I'm worried they'll be overshadowed by all the appleness on the 10th and they wont get the big enough attention that they deserve.

If i was HP/Palm i would move the date of the announcement up a week. I know it would be difficult due to already scheduling the day but i feel like it would be worth the hassle.
    Last edited by blackfireball5; 01/11/2011 at 11:27 AM.
    I'm not sure what it means for HP/Palm as a company, but as far as the Pre 2 goes, they may as well not release it now. Unless they push it as a free phone, I can't see anyone other than the webOS loyalist picking up a Pre 2 over the iPhone 4.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to Feb 9th.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    webOS is going to be around for a long, long, time. ...on many, many devices. you don't spend billions to give up after a few months.

Feb. will be here soon.
    I hope your optimism pans out, believe me, but a snapshot of the current state affairs paints quite a grim picture.

And HP will write-off a $2B loss like you and I leave pennies sitting on the store counter...
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Not at all. Just being objective. The vast majority of smartphone users don't look at them the way we do, specs mean nothing to them. They worry about the social status it will impart on them. If HP/Palm doesn't address that, it will be next to impossible for webOS to make a comeback.
    wait. first you say the hardware better be great or else... Now, you say specs don't matter, it's social status/.

Boy, I'm glad you don't make the decisions at HP.

But, enough of this "speculation hot potato", I've got a snow storm to prepare for. (another one...)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    I feel bad for HP/Palm. I'm worried they'll be overchadowed by all the appleness on the 10th and they wont get the big enoughattention that they deserve.

If i was HP/Palm i would move the date of the announcement up a week. I know it would be difficult due to already scheduling the day but i feel like it would be worth the hassle.

I agree, the original Pre launch was overshadowed by the iPhone 3gs launch, now this crap. But hey, it looks like HP will be announcing more than just phones, so let's hope the announcement on the 9th holds more weight.
    no need to move the date from 02/09. Iphone is announced going forward people know it will be available on 02/10. Its actually not bad that the show for HP is a day before, since they cant buy it until then. If HP has something in works for in paticular Verizon, and soon they can captialize on it. Though I dont believe they will have anything availble thats worth buying high end until this summer anyway. This to me will start to hender Android numbers though.
    It doesn't mean much. HP webOS is trying to carve out their own niche market. It will be a little harder to get that space, but that was inevitable.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    wait. first you say the hardware better be great or else... Now, you say specs don't matter, it's social status/.

Boy, I'm glad you don't make the decisions at HP.
    I think people care less about specs than we think. Apple doesn't even publish the clock speed of the iPhone 4's A4 and nobody really cares.

When someone buys a phone, I think they have a reasonable expectation that it should do everything they want (with the help of third parties) at a decent speed. Android and iOS fit the bill because they're both wildly popular and well-supported.

That's why I'm fairly certain we're reaching the end of the line for webOS --people just don't want to use something held together by patches and hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    I feel bad for HP/Palm. I'm worried they'll be overchadowed by all the appleness on the 10th and they wont get the big enoughattention that they deserve.

Yeah, bad timing. Feb 9th WebOS announcement; Feb 10th iPhone available to the masses; Feb 14th the start of MWC and the rumor of the HTC Scribe being announcement. Also I think that the iPad 2 will be announced in Feb.

Moving it up a week will not help. Verizon iPhone will go on pre-sale on Feb 3th. There will be more leaks about the Playbook, Android tablets and phones. AT&T will be running ads about why the iPhone on there network is better than the iPhone on Verzion and pushing there new top phone the Atrix.

Edit: The Motorola Xoom will be released in Feb with a rumored ad push during the Superbowl.
    Edit2: There are rumors that the Playbook will have ads during the Superbowl and the Black-Eye Peas half them show.
    Last edited by slbailey1; 01/11/2011 at 11:44 AM.
    I forgot all about the Playbook... To the majority of people out there a webOS tablet will be seen as a knock off of the Playbook, they don't know any better.
    one thing is certain, we will see more pessimists leaving, lately all the emails I get from users, regarding my applications, are well written polite and the users seem to understand more about the phone and the OS, half a year ago I would get emails, that where almost threatening !!!
    I forgot all about the Playbook... To the majority of people out there a webOS tablet will be seen as a knock off of the Playbook, they don't know any better.
    you're really pessimistic. , maybe yore having a bad day, hope things get better for you
    Remember how Verizon Reps were pushing the Droid and ignoring/slamming the Pre Plus?

I'm guessing we're going to see something like that again, with the Pre2 treated as the red-headed stepchild of the smartphone line.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    no need to move the date from 02/09. Iphone is announced going forward people know it will be available on 02/10. Its actually not bad that the show for HP is a day before, since they cant buy it until then. If HP has something in works for in paticular Verizon, and soon they can captialize on it. Though I dont believe they will have anything availble thats worth buying high end until this summer anyway. This to me will start to hender Android numbers though.
    Well technically pre-orders start earlier than that so unless their announcement coincides with an immediate launch of a device, they might still get overshadowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    you're really pessimistic. , maybe yore having a bad day, hope things get better for you
    I've already answered this, I'll say it again... It's not pessimism, it's objectivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I think 4G WebOS phones might make that decision a not so easy one.
    Verizon has already stated that LTE Phones won't come out til 2012
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    correct, even an old BB exec over at engagdet (forget the denial of it) Not just the webos version is def alot better just looking at the UI of the playbook its too choppy, and non responsive its a bad knock off to me at that. Also though I think it being 7inchs will hurt it, since its claimed to go up against the ipad which is bigger. RIM is in the toliet period, and now with the VZ iphone, there main carrier BB users will go ahead and get the iphone.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    People seem not to know, that HP still is the biggest tech company by profit and revenue, and that they still outsell apple in the PC line apple shipped 3.5mil devices in q3 2010 HP shipped 15mil
    That's great and they also outsell them in printers and cameras as well I believe - what's the relevance to smart-phones? If we were going off the "this company is massive so this has to work" theory, we'd all be posting on google buzz or Ping.

I'm not saying that HP might not make a dent in the smartphone market but it's not the foregone conclusion that some present it as.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Verizon has already stated that LTE Phones won't come out til 2012
    Well Verizon isn't the only one "claiming" to have 4G right now.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast