View Poll Results: What are your plans?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just waiting for pre-orders on the 2nd.

9 5.39%
  • I'll wait until after the 9th to decide.

44 26.35%
  • Sticking it out.

34 20.36%
  • PAAAAAALM!!!!

80 47.90%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Their web service is nothing to do with their mobile service. I doubt Verizon will have any issue.
    I know. But the web service is the easy part. The fact that they were not ready for the traffic suggests there might be other things they are not prepared for. Sure, they know what to expect on paper. But, a million new voices in one day is a whole other reality. Hopefully, the spike in web traffic gives them a wake-up call.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Funny, the iPhone doesn't seem to have a reception problem around the world, or hacked on T-Mobile, just AT&T. On the day of the announcement, Verizon's website went down briefly, and experienced problems throughout the day. That was not from pre-orders or activations. No, that was just from people looking for more information. Verizon has never had a stand-alone item that could bring that much traffic in a day.

Apple is the rainmaker. The iPhone is about to bring the rain to Verizon. I suspect their storm shelters are not quite up to the task.
    Update: Verizon Adding 7 Towers in Bay Area for iPhone | NBC Bay Area

And they did the same for NYC and various other areas that are highly concentrated.
    I know. But the web service is the easy part. The fact that they were not ready for the traffic suggests there might be other things they are not prepared for. Sure, they know what to expect on paper. But, a million new voices in one day is a whole other reality. Hopefully, the spike in web traffic gives them a wake-up call.
    First of all, I doubt it will be million of new voices in first day. There will be alot of current Verizon convert from droid or other kind of smartphone to iphone, including myself, from Pre to Iphone. So they are not adding, just replacing one to another. Perhaps alot of At&t users convert to Verizon. Over several months, I expect Verizon to sell millions of Iphone, but I doubt it will be addition million voices and data in one day. So you shouldn't worry so much about Verizon, just pray that HP can come up with something really nice on Feb 9th.
    This report should end any speculation about whether Verizon will be pushing the iPhone.
    This report should end any speculation about whether Verizon will be pushing the iPhone.
    More bad news for HP/Palm.
    Why don't some of you understand that not everyone wants an iPhone? Do you folks not understand that? Are their potential customers that HP/Palm will likely lose out on? Sure. But their success and failure is on their own merits. If they come out with a phone that blows the iPhone away (not saying they will) would they not be able to sell them? If HP/Palm can ring up a user base of 8-10 million during this year, they will be successful, and will have a solid base to grow from. I think they might be able to do better depending on what they bring on the 9th of Feb.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Why don't some of you understand that not everyone wants an iPhone? Do you folks not understand that? Are their potential customers that HP/Palm will likely lose out on? Sure. But their success and failure is on their own merits. If they come out with a phone that blows the iPhone away (not saying they will) would they not be able to sell them? If HP/Palm can ring up a user base of 8-10 million during this year, they will be successful, and will have a solid base to grow from. I think they might be able to do better depending on what they bring on the 9th of Feb.
    I don't think anyone is saying that everyone wants an iPhone. There are always people that want the odd product.

But, 8-10 million webOS devices? Not going to happen. iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and Windows 7 devices will sell enough that there will not be enough people left for HP to sell 8-10 million webOS devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying that everyone wants an iPhone. There are always people that want the odd product.

But, 8-10 million webOS devices? Not going to happen. iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and Windows 7 devices will sell enough that there will not be enough people left for HP to sell 8-10 million webOS devices.
    Why not? Palm sold close to 3 million webOS devices with crappy hardware and little advertising, not too mention with Verizon directing people away from the phones to the Droid. If HP/Palm put out a couple of phones and tablets that are well built and don't look like they will be returned, the sales staff will push them to those who don't want the iPhone.

Heck, all HP/Palm needs to do to get 8-10 million is go global with their phones.
    I agree that its cool that the iphone will be on another network, but to me it seems a little old.
    <This Page is Blank>
    Why not? Palm sold close to 3 million webOS devices with crappy hardware and little advertising, not too mention with Verizon directing people away from the phones to the Droid. If HP/Palm put out a couple of phones and tablets that are well built and don't look like they will be returned, the sales staff will push them to those who don't want the iPhone.

Heck, all HP/Palm needs to do to get 8-10 million is go global with their phones.
    And now Verizon will be directing them away from webOS to Android AND the iPhone. Do you really think webOS is going to sell well against the iPhone on the two largest networks in the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    And now Verizon will be directing them away from webOS to Android AND the iPhone. Do you really think webOS is going to sell well against the iPhone on the two largest networks in the US?
    I think you are not seeing the bigger picture, including the one where a good chunk of Android users want to leave that platform for something else (per a notable survey). Android is still too much of a techies platform, much like linux. People get tired of things being more complex than necessary. If HP/Palm brings some kick **** hardware to go with webOS, why wouldn't it be able to at least siphon off some BB users and some disgruntled Android users? Through in some feature phone upgraders, and a global launch, and 8-10 million should be cake.

That 3 million domestic or global?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Jimmy Fallon also talked about it, although not for as long as Stewart did. He made a few great jokes at AT&T's expense. I wonder if the iPhone call quality will be better on VZW, or if AT&T has been taking the blame for a problem with the hardware... hmmmm.
    Folks, there is no reception in midtown NYC for the AT&T iphone, I experienced this first hand when my iphone friend came here and I could not reach her until she traveled further uptown. Dead as a doornail. Worse than the olden days as there are fewer payphones on the street than ever before. Hence the Jon Stewart joke about typing his text on his phone and then using an intern to carry the phone to Stephen Colbert. All those guys who had to have an iphone for the trend factor are essentially carrying two phones and forwarding to their blackberries when they commute into work each day or they are just having frustration fits and flinging their iphones against the walls. That is why Verizon announced its phone in Columbus Circle, against the skyline of Central Park and directly across the park from the flagship Apple store. Verizon will own New York City's trendy tech elite on February 10th.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Folks, there is no reception in midtown NYC for the AT&T iphone, I experienced this first hand when my iphone friend came here and I could not reach her until she traveled further uptown. Dead as a doornail. Worse than the olden days as there are fewer payphones on the street than ever before. Hence the Jon Stewart joke about typing his text on his phone and then using an intern to carry the phone to Stephen Colbert. All those guys who had to have an iphone for the trend factor are essentially carrying two phones and forwarding to their blackberries when they commute into work each day or they are just having frustration fits and flinging their iphones against the walls. That is why Verizon announced its phone in Columbus Circle, against the skyline of Central Park and directly across the park from the flagship Apple store. Verizon will own New York City's trendy tech elite on February 10th.
    A trend factor? Why can't it be for the fact that one actually enjoys the device. I have two phones on two different carriers; the iPhone 4 and a Sprint phone.

Until a device comes remotely close to what the iPhone is capable of via third party development, I'll probably always carry an iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That 3 million domestic or global?
    Global. The peak for the US was surveyed at roughly 2.6 million. So roughly 3 million worldwide. Considering that Palm only had a presence on 4 or 5 carriers outside the US, in the same number of countries, I think one can clearly see that 8-10 million at the end of 2011 should be the low water benchmark if they launch in a dozen or more countries worldwide and bring some high quality state of the art phones as well as a quality mid and low range phone as well. Should be very doable.
    Apple has been selling the iPhone for almost four years now. In the last 4 quarters which includes the Dec quarter where analysts predict that Apple sold 16 million iPhones, they sold approx 47 millions iPhones worldwide for the past year.

Those 47 million sales do not include the CDMA iPhone that will be sold on Verizon. It does not include the sales of the CDMA iPhone on other international carriers that use CDMA.

HP would have to sell 20% of what Apple sold in the past year just to get to the 8 - 10 millions devices. Do you really think that HP is going to go from selling zilch to 20% of Apple's sales in a year when they have to overcome the iPhone and all the other established players in the smartphone market to get to 8 - 10 million? Not even Apple can increase their sales that fast. Let's not forget that Apple and all the other competitors are not going to just set still and not bring out new products.

The going stat is that webOS has sold about 2.7 million devices since June 2009. Did we forget that Apple sold 2.7 million iPhone 4's over the course of one weekend when it first came out? Let that soak in for a second.

And no tablet is going to compete against the iPad. Go out there and read...

Tablets, the iPad, and the Frantic Cycle of Apple Imitation | Tim Gideon | PCMag.com

Why Competing Tablets Will Struggle Against the iPad | Tim Bajarin | PCMag.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    I've never been convinced that HP can launch anything in the mobile world period.

Yesterday's announcement makes it even more difficult. Verizon is going to spend a ton of cash on pushing the iPhone, and i'm really not convinced there's much more space for a WebOS product(s) in their offerings.

Droid, iPhone, Blackberry.

I realize that HP wanted to have all of its ducks in a row before launching, but I think they've waited too long.
    I concur Because Verizon will be pushing the Iphone even over Droids.

AppleInsider | Verizon to push Apple's iPhone with major 'marketing muscle' - report
    A trend factor? Why can't it be for the fact that one actually enjoys the device.
    Calling it a trend factor is a way of belittling the choices others make. It makes the speaker feel that his decision is superior, because it was not based on following a trend but on their opinion of "reason."

Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    I concur Because Verizon will be pushing the Iphone even over Droids.

AppleInsider | Verizon to push Apple's iPhone with major 'marketing muscle' - report
    I doubt Verizon is trying to hurt Android. That is i dont' think it's either or. Or that they'll push Iphone with the intent that it be at the expense of Andriod. they want to add new customers not just move existing ones from one platform to another. They make money off the contracts. They don't care what you use they just want you to use their service. In fact i read somewhere that because of the costs of running data that the most profitable smart phones for carriers are blackberries. and given a choice most carriers would much rather have everybody run blackberries cause i guess they make more per customer, since the typical blackberry user doesn't use nearly the level of data which is apparently really expensive to run. My guess is they'll push everything. As for Iphone. Verizon won't have to do a thing but open the door on the day they are available and have enough.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 01/14/2011 at 11:26 PM.
    IMO trendy isn't always bad. Who cares if some people want to see what the fire is all about? It's their right to do so. If they end up liking iPhone or Android, so be it. Both OS have matured.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    A trend factor? Why can't it be for the fact that one actually enjoys the device. I have two phones on two different carriers; the iPhone 4 and a Sprint phone.

Until a device comes remotely close to what the iPhone is capable of via third party development, I'll probably always carry an iPhone.
    Sure people buy the iphone for many reasons. But in NYC, some people are carrying around a slab of a phone that they can't make calls on and they desperately need to; and at the same time they only use a handful of apps such as the weather app, restaurant app etc and never went deeper into the catalogue (oops i meant store). Yet they've stayed with this phone for 2 and 3 years in some cases. And at great personal pain and frustration. When I hear that they have the iphone and have it turned off (it used to also be that the battery ran out on them in the middle of the day and you couldn't swap a new one in but I don't know if that is true anymore) or that they are essentially forwarding it to their blackberry, that sounds like a trendy purchase, buying into the Apple mystique in the same way those historical Apple commercials about thinking differently made it seem that Mac owners would somehow share in this quality.
    Of course, with the Verizon iphone many who have stayed away because of lack of complete functionality will come on board. And many who have enjoyed the multitude of apps and who suffered with the lack of call reliability will also switch over.
    By the way, HP is certainly also trying to use marketing guile, suggesting that the creative artist/entrepreneur is a HP phone owner and app creator.

Edit: NYTimes has article with same viewpoint below but of course, said more elegantly, quote and link below to full article:
    People so love their devices from Apple that they are willing to put up with the stupidities,” said Larry Keeley, president of the innovation and design firm Doblin. “For many users,” he added, “especially the ones Apple loves the most, the fact that the battery gets balky is how you convince yourself to get a new one.”
    My oldest son, Amato, who is on my Verizon Wireless plan, told me recently that even though he was perfectly happy with his Android phone, if given the chance to switch to an iPhone, he would probably do it. “I can’t even say why,” he said. “I don’t even know if there is any real rationale behind that desire.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/15/bu...gewanted=print
    Last edited by bluenote; 01/15/2011 at 01:27 PM.