View Poll Results: What are your plans?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just waiting for pre-orders on the 2nd.

9 5.39%
  • I'll wait until after the 9th to decide.

44 26.35%
  • Sticking it out.

34 20.36%
  • PAAAAAALM!!!!

80 47.90%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    WebOS is just such an awesome OS that I don't care what happens, I'm sticking with it. It does everything I want it to do and more, and does it faster, easier, and just plain better then what I've experienced with an iPhone. I just wish people gave webos a chance, because it stands up against iOS on its own merits real well. The pre 2 on verizon WILL be overshadowed by the iPhone, but shouldn't be (and since I don't know how long before new devices hit, I'm not gonna speculate there). For many its a popularity contest, and iPhone wins, but I try to convince as many people as possible to just try the Pre and webos, because I'm sure if they do they will agree that its pretty awesome. Also these carrier stores NEED to have some little note next to the phone on display with the basic gestures. I can't tell you how many times i've heard people say "I tried the phone, but had no idea how to do simple things." I'm sure if you didn't realize the iphone screen was a touch screen you'd also have the same type of problem! I think the VZ iphone announcement will make it more difficult for webos to stand out, at least until new phones and more aggressive marketing arrive from HP, but I also think that verizon should give the Pre 2 and future HP devices a chance and actually try to market them, instead of putting them off on display somewhere in the back and never talking about them again.

I know I know, this is never gonna happen... but I guess we'll see in Feb if anything changes. Regardless, I'm extremely happy with my Pre Plus (and webOS) on ATT, and don't plan on jumping ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    LOL. I'm not mad. I'm just replying to some of the over the top stuff that is said. Like people on here thinking that because the iPhone 4 is now 7 months old no one really cares compared to the still unreleased webOS device(s).

Just giving examples where tons of people are still interested in the iPhone 4.
    I feel you, and Im with you because honestly VZ could have released the iphone 3gs, and the buzz would have been just as big. I was on VZ 2 years ago (with my current subscriber) and I remember people then saying I wish the iphone would come here, reps customers in stores etc. This was the company that was supposed to have the iphone first and turn them down. This to me will be big for the most part of this year prob the whole year assuming the 5 will be LTE. Your right, but just know that most people here will always back webos, even if the show feb 9th is a flop and the devices they release are too.
    You have to admit, Palm royally screwed the pooch so many times it's pure amazing that there are remnants left of them. PalmOS 5, while awesome for a phone in 2002... was still selling into 2009. The pre launches at the same time as iPhone 3GS and Droid. Palm took it's sites (sp?) off RIM / enterprise and goes for the consumer space with probably the least durable handset in history (this is the first time I've had to replace a phone 3 times and my new one is cracking at the USB door 'again'). Mergers and acquisitions etc delay the follow up to shoddy hardware. I'm enthusiastic about webOS, but Palm has totally worn thin what patience I have. Hopefully HP is immune to the stupidity that has flown so freely from Palm.
    .,;-#$^***^$#-;,.

Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    You have to admit, Palm royally screwed the pooch so many times it's pure amazing that there are remnants left of them. PalmOS 5, while awesome for a phone in 2002... was still selling into 2009. The pre launches at the same time as iPhone 3GS and Droid. Palm took it's sites (sp?) off RIM / enterprise and goes for the consumer space with probably the least durable handset in history (this is the first time I've had to replace a phone 3 times and my new one is cracking at the USB door 'again'). Mergers and acquisitions etc delay the follow up to shoddy hardware. I'm enthusiastic about webOS, but Palm has totally worn thin what patience I have. Hopefully HP is immune to the stupidity that has flown so freely from Palm.
    that is true, though I never had to replace my pre (even the plussed one) but yeah when you hold the iphone 4 in your hand, i have to say over every phone out, that is what a modern phone is supposed to look and feel like. The design is glass, and metal no plastic like the pre, or samsung lines. Not overly bulky like the EVO, and Droid X. Not Ugly like the droid, and droid 2 very elegant looking, and very well made. I hope HP (who i even have a pavillion laptop with very very nice at that) takes a page out of their laptop product line, and how Apple makes phones and duplicates that. Honestly if one of their devices is a say 3.5-3.7 inch phone made of glass and metal with all the specs needed, Id gladdly pay 300 dollars on contract for that seriously.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    What exactly does the last option in that poll mean???

PAAAAAALM!!!!

wuh?
    This is probably what it's referring to
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    that is true, though I never had to replace my pre (even the plussed one) but yeah when you hold the iphone 4 in your hand, i have to say over every phone out, that is what a modern phone is supposed to look and feel like. The design is glass, and metal no plastic like the pre, or samsung lines. Not overly bulky like the EVO, and Droid X. Not Ugly like the droid, and droid 2 very elegant looking, and very well made. I hope HP (who i even have a pavillion laptop with very very nice at that) takes a page out of their laptop product line, and how Apple makes phones and duplicates that. Honestly if one of their devices is a say 3.5-3.7 inch phone made of glass and metal with all the specs needed, Id gladdly pay 300 dollars on contract for that seriously.
    Apple has a huge advantage at this point, as far as mindshare goes. It's a single go-to product line that sets the hardware quality bar high. HP would be well served to follow Apple's lead and produce a combination of high quality tablet and phone that have complete parity regarding CPU/GPU power to ensure that all apps are compatible on the platform within a given release cycle. If the February announcement does not indicate a sane direction for the hardware and software ecosystem I will probably just go with a platform that does.
    Did anyone else let out a big yawn when they heard this announcement? I sure did. I follow the "Carrier-First" mentality, and Verizon in its current state could never convince me to go back to them from Sprint.

Occasionally I attempt to build a comparative plan to my Sprint plan on Verizon's website, and I chuckle every time I see the result. Unless the new iPhone has an app that prints about 40$ per month, I will be happy with my release day Pre-, and my future WebOS or Android device.

The fact that Apple does what they want with their devices and then convinces people of their superiority irritates me. I will not deny the fantastic build quality of their devices, as my circa-2005 iPod "Classic" is still chugging along. However, this phone is almost identical to the AT&T Version, and just doesn't have any additional features that would make me say "Whoopee". CES offered much more interesting choices, in my opinion.

Still, we will watch as the masses flock to the Red Checkmark just to get in on that hipster feel you get when you get an iPhone. Meanwhile, I will anxiously await to see if H/Palm does anything to instill confidence in me next month.

I don't think the Verizon iPhone will affect H/Palm very much. HP is at or near the bottom of the mobile world in such a way that they have much bigger trenches to overcome than this device. If they become a contender again, and start reclaiming market-share, then we can start talking about how a "slam-dunk" phone like the iPhone will affect H/Palm.
    -Until Skynet takes over.
    Well put. Yes, Verizon iPhone is not the newest phone on the market, 7 months old. However, it's still the finest phone compare to any new phone to this day. Iphone may not have the best feature on the market right now but still top notch, and every new phone compares to the iPhone4.

I really hope that Hp can make something really elegant and release it quick like within next couple of months. I am just hoping.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papachange05 View Post
    Did anyone else let out a big yawn when they heard this announcement? I sure did. I follow the "Carrier-First" mentality, and Verizon in its current state could never convince me to go back to them from Sprint...
    If carrier is king, why don't you go with StraightTalk? Bargain price. Just asking...

http://www.straighttalk.com/ShopPhon...3D3C&product=8
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    true, but again even Google did a couple of years ago not knowing much at all in regards to computer software, or electronics now see where they are in the mobile world. Also didnt, and dont have the capital or business relationships worldwide in the computer business as HP does. IPaq devices as well were using one of their partners OS's (microsoft) as well as never went all in when trying to play their hand in the mobile space.
    I'm not by any means trying to dismiss the possible success of HP but only trying to eradicate the claims by many here that success is almost guaranteed due to the sheer size of HP and the money/resources they're dumping into webOS. That means nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    If carrier is king, why don't you go with StraightTalk? Bargain price. Just asking...

http://www.straighttalk.com/ShopPhon...3D3C&product=8
    Two words: Phone Selection.

I agree with you, that is the best bargain for a phone these days. However, being a smartphone power-user, as I am assuming you are as well {Unless you are a feature phone user that randomly supports a smartphone OS homebrew community }, there is no way I could drop down to a feature-less phone. If there is ever a day when the pre-pay carriers offer first-run smartphones with the contract carriers, I will ride my flying pig to the closest Circuit City store and pick one up...
    Did anyone else let out a big yawn when they heard this announcement? I sure did. I follow the "Carrier-First" mentality, and Verizon in its current state could never convince me to go back to them from Sprint.

Occasionally I attempt to build a comparative plan to my Sprint plan on Verizon's website, and I chuckle every time I see the result. Unless the new iPhone has an app that prints about 40$ per month, I will be happy with my release day Pre-, and my future WebOS or Android device.

The fact that Apple does what they want with their devices and then convinces people of their superiority irritates me. I will not deny the fantastic build quality of their devices, as my circa-2005 iPod "Classic" is still chugging along. However, this phone is almost identical to the AT&T Version, and just doesn't have any additional features that would make me say "Whoopee". CES offered much more interesting choices, in my opinion.

Still, we will watch as the masses flock to the Red Checkmark just to get in on that hipster feel you get when you get an iPhone. Meanwhile, I will anxiously await to see if H/Palm does anything to instill confidence in me next month.

I don't think the Verizon iPhone will affect H/Palm very much. HP is at or near the bottom of the mobile world in such a way that they have much bigger trenches to overcome than this device. If they become a contender again, and start reclaiming market-share, then we can start talking about how a "slam-dunk" phone like the iPhone will affect H/Palm.
    You don't understand Apple. They keep the user experience identical across the board and un-fragmented. When the next iPhone model hits, it will be available simultaneously to Verizon and AT&T, not either or. This is a good thing.

For once, we get to see what consumers prefer: CDMA or GSM with no others factors involved.
    I've never been convinced that HP can launch anything in the mobile world period.

Yesterday's announcement makes it even more difficult. Verizon is going to spend a ton of cash on pushing the iPhone, and i'm really not convinced there's much more space for a WebOS product(s) in their offerings.

Droid, iPhone, Blackberry.

I realize that HP wanted to have all of its ducks in a row before launching, but I think they've waited too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You don't understand Apple. They keep the user experience identical across the board and un-fragmented. When the next iPhone model hits, it will be available simultaneously to Verizon and AT&T, not either or. This is a good thing.

For once, we get to see what consumers prefer: CDMA or GSM with no others factors involved.
    They are going to run into some unhappy Verizon customers if they announce the iPhone 5 in July, five months after telling everyone to buy an iPhone 4 on Verizon. I understand Apple's philosophy. I just feel that they have put a kink into their yearly refresh cycle. I would have been more impressed if they released something that would distinguish itself from the AT&T iPhone. They can have more than one "phone" in their lineup and not ruin the "identical user experience".
    If I am eligible for new equipment, I would get the iPhone in an instant. But my contract is for another year. So the debate is pointless for me.

I do like the webOS. A lot. I don't use a lot of apps, but iPhone has the apps I really want. I like the ability to home brew webOS, overclock and all. But I don't have the time or inclination to tinker unnecessarily. If I have a phone that doesn't need tinkering, then all the better.

I am like a lot of plain joe consumers. I just want my piece of equipment to work well in doing the things I want it to do. I want my piece of equipment to be a value-add to my lifestyle, not as a focal point of countless hours to tinker. Lastly it doesn't hurt if the equipment looks good and feels good in the hand.
    They are going to run into some unhappy Verizon customers if they announce the iPhone 5 in July, five months after telling everyone to buy an iPhone 4 on Verizon. I understand Apple's philosophy. I just feel that they have put a kink into their yearly refresh cycle. I would have been more impressed if they released something that would distinguish itself from the AT&T iPhone. They can have more than one "phone" in their lineup and not ruin the "identical user experience".
    Who's going to be unhappy? Those of us that know the technical differences or the average consumer? It's no different than say the casual AT&T consumer that purchases an iPhone between the months of say, Feb - Jun.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Who's going to be unhappy? Those of us that know the technical differences or the average consumer? It's no different than say the casual AT&T consumer that purchases an iPhone between the months of say, Feb - Jun.
    And AT&T historically sells a LOT of iPhones in those two quarters...despite the fact that everyone knows a new model is on the horizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    To add to the above, from Engadget

The Daily Show reacts to Verizon iPhone, Jon Stewart gets a little excited (video) -- Engadget

Jon Stewart spent a whopping 7 minutes and 18 seconds talking about the Verizon iPhone on his show.

Unbelievable!
    Jimmy Fallon also talked about it, although not for as long as Stewart did. He made a few great jokes at AT&T's expense. I wonder if the iPhone call quality will be better on VZW, or if AT&T has been taking the blame for a problem with the hardware... hmmmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Jimmy Fallon also talked about it, although not for as long as Stewart did. He made a few great jokes at AT&T's expense. I wonder if the iPhone call quality will be better on VZW, or if AT&T has been taking the blame for a problem with the hardware... hmmmm.
    Funny, the iPhone doesn't seem to have a reception problem around the world, or hacked on T-Mobile, just AT&T. On the day of the announcement, Verizon's website went down briefly, and experienced problems throughout the day. That was not from pre-orders or activations. No, that was just from people looking for more information. Verizon has never had a stand-alone item that could bring that much traffic in a day.

Apple is the rainmaker. The iPhone is about to bring the rain to Verizon. I suspect their storm shelters are not quite up to the task.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Funny, the iPhone doesn't seem to have a reception problem around the world, or hacked on T-Mobile, just AT&T. On the day of the announcement, Verizon's website went down briefly, and experienced problems throughout the day. That was not from pre-orders or activations. No, that was just from people looking for more information. Verizon has never had a stand-alone item that could bring that much traffic in a day.

Apple is the rainmaker. The iPhone is about to bring the rain to Verizon. I suspect their storm shelters are not quite up to the task.
    Their web service is nothing to do with their mobile service. I doubt Verizon will have any issue.