View Poll Results: What are your plans?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just waiting for pre-orders on the 2nd.

9 5.39%
  • I'll wait until after the 9th to decide.

44 26.35%
  • Sticking it out.

34 20.36%
  • PAAAAAALM!!!!

80 47.90%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    It's true, and I'm pretty upset it didn't happen... We'd have a webOS Evo already...
    No, if they only wanted Palm for the patents, they wouldn't have a webOS Evo. They wouldn't sacrifice their Android cash cow, they would pick and choose enhancements to add to it from their pool of Palm patents.
    This thread has surely been interesting to read. Here's what many are saying:

OMG!!!!! THE IPHONE IS HERE!!! HP IS DOOMED!!! EVERYONE wants the iPhone and iPad, so HP/Palm have no chance!!!!!!!!!!

Reality:
    Apple's share has slowed, and there are other significant players that have big shares of the market. Why? Not everyone actually wants the Apple experience. Maybe one day some of you will actually come to grips with the reality that no one single mobile OS is going to rule the roost permanently. Why? People have different tastes and needs. It's why the smartphone leader has changed 3 or 4 times over the last several years. Android is today's current hottie, passing the iPhone in the US. So to the those who think everyone is going to jump onto the iPhone on Verizon...here's a clue stick with which to beat yourself.

Most important to me is the belief that the HP/Palm event, being a large one in a large venue, is such for a reason. I believe strongly that HP will introduce an experience. A totally seamless connected, enterprise level, yet consumer friendly, cloud based experience currently only capable through mixing and matching multiple third parties. I believe they will show off this experience on HP/Palm phones, tablets, servers, netbooks, and TV's. Though I think the tablet/s and phone/s will be the primary hardware they will be pushing initially. Imagine an HP connected home where you can stream your content to your phone, tablet, netbook, or TV via webOS cloud services. Imagine webOS in the enterprise space where encrypted/secured instant messaging and office file sharing amongst all of your mobile devices, including the ability for conference room TV's to show this content directly using webOS. Printing from your device to your webOS cloud based printer is another example.

Judging from what Bradley said, and what the hints and venue propose, I think this is what HP and Palm plan to show journalists and guests. They will show this experience with demonstrations of new hardware and software. New cloud services, seamlessly integrated with these new devices, right out of the box. They will have major hands-on demos throughout the venue. All my opinion, but I think this is the vision they will be showing us, and, if they do, and they get it right, the iPhone won't really impact their sales potential.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    People aren't buying a phone, though. They buy into an ecosystem. The iPhone has an incredible upgrade rate because the entire iPhone experience gets better year after year.
    the cases, extra toys, thousands of apps(most of them completely unnecessary), the design and marketing is the main reason of their success. thats the ecosystem. thats the iphone "experience". the ios itself is also good, but the webos is better. the iphone hardware is also good, and the palm hardware has a very good history of solid hardware up until the pre(1). the pre 2 is already much better then the pre , and in a couple of weeks we are all going to see a top notch hitech ecosystem: top hardware, top software, other devices,and all of them connected together. that might be a true:"hp /palm experience"
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    My, this HP sounds like a wonderfully capable and innovative company. I wonder why I have never heard of their smart phones before? Have they been available here on the US?
    No, but they are apparently very popular in France.
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    the cases, extra toys, thousands of apps(most of them completely unnecessary), the design and marketing is the main reason of their success. thats the ecosystem. thats the iphone "experience". the ios itself is also good, but the webos is better. the iphone hardware is also good, and the palm hardware has a very good history of solid hardware up until the pre(1). the pre 2 is already much better then the pre , and in a couple of weeks we are all going to see a top notch hitech ecosystem: top hardware, top software, other devices,and all of them connected together. that might be a true:"hp /palm experience"
    That's not an ecosystem. Books, movies, music, TV shows, videos, apps, desktop, tablet, phone all connected.....THAT is an ecosystem. And each product leverages the strengths of the predecessors, yet can stand on its own. Nobody buys the iPad because it "connects" with the iPhone. They do it because it's the best tablet on the market with the best tablet apps. If "intradevice connectivity" is the chief selling point of new WebOS devices, people will just keep buying iPads.
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    I really do hope that Hp announces something amazing on Feb 9th. However, I honestly believe they don't have any phone to announce on Feb9th. I really think they bought WebOS for whole mobile integration to their whole products, server, printer and of course copyright. I'll bet, this announcement will be some business oriented ipad like device, which let you manage some business tools. And end of the event, they probably talk about their future phone strategy, just to dangle a carrot on us.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    My, this HP sounds like a wonderfully capable and innovative company. I wonder why I have never heard of their smart phones before? Have they been available here on the US?
    did you hear about the treo 600, treo 650, treo 700, centro, pre,visor, visor deluxe,etc,etc,. well,thats the same company.
    Let's replace HP with Google and pretend you said that two years ago. How would you feel about that statement now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Now that it's available on Verizon how many Pre/Pixi Plus users are jumping ship?
    Good god there's 11 pages. I'm gonna skip 2-11 and just answer the O.P.

I will get an Iphone as my next phone. I decided months ago. I just haven't decided on a carrier plus i'm waiting so that my termination fee is less or nothing. Plus i have financial responsibilities at the moment that are more important than switching phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    what do you think this means for HPalm?
    i think it makes it harder cause it's more direct competition but deep down i think in order to be a success in the phone market it doesn't really change all the changes Palm needs to do to catch up. Regardless of what apple does Palm has to make a better product, that does more, that matches the competition hardware and features, thousands more decent apps, need to be on many more devices, in more form factors, need to be truly global, need to build out the media ecosystem of buying selling streaming media, and they need to sell it better and make it cool. I think they have a massive uphill climb to impress more then the long time Palm enthusiasts. Iphone on Sprint would probably be worse in terms of losing customers since i've read that's where most of Palm's customers are. in the end while phone enthusiast wage symbolic debates about who is really open, what really is 4G, what interface is nicest, who stole what, the real bottom line is can they sell enough to turn a profit and make continueing to make phones worthwhile in the long run. Cause if it loses money in time HP will cut its losses. Now what that time frame is only HP knows. We all know Microsoft will tolerate not being number one for a long time. They did it with the original Xbox. Hell they did it with windows mobile. So it may be a long time. Point is what qualifies as success can vary. It could be being 15% and being very profitable. Consider that Samsung, HTC, Motorola now are all making phones, not dominating the market and still turning a profits on phones. All without matching the Iphone sale for sale. On the other hand success may be measured in market domination. That's probably gonna be a lot tougher. But either way that is a lot of work and a lot of money. And i have my doubts about the prospects not having seen what they will announce. maybe Feb. will change my mind.

For HP specifically. Well it makes its money currently in other areas. WebOS can fail completely never catch on with tablets and phones and it will be a PRPRPR $hit$ $but$ $i$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $other$ $then$ $the$ $obvious$ $loss$ $of$ $money$ $invested$ $to$ $push$ $it$ $its$ $not$ $the$ $biggest$ $deal$. $But$ $tablets$ $clearly$ $are$ $an$ $area$ $it$ $wants$ $to$ $grow$ $in$.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 01/12/2011 at 12:09 AM.
    Market success at this point means not backing, not even to apple.

What ever Apple does, HP and Palm needs to do it...Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.

and yes, i do like daft punk.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Also, Yahoo has had the Verizon iPhone on it's home page, along with CNN.

My local radio station talked about it on my drive home and when I got home, it was being talked about on my local news channel on tv.

Notice no where did I mention any tech sites or tech blogs. Thats the difference between Apple and everyone else.

Even before the official announcement today the mainstream media talked about the announcement today last week and over the weekend.

When HP has their event next month lets see how much media attention they get outside of the tech blogs. I say none. That's the HUGE difference that so many people on this site choose to ignore between Apple and everyone else. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that EVERYONE pays attention to Apple. Why is it that so many people are in denial about it on this forum?

More importantly, why all the over the top "HP is big and has plenty of resources" so by default webOS will be successful? To be blunt, that's just stupid. But, try telling that to a loyal on this forum. Some of us live in the real world, then you have PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community.
    Uh huh. Because we all know MSNBC, WSJ, USA Today, etc., are some of the biggest tech blogs around...

H-P Skips Tablet-Mania…For Now - Digits - WSJ

HP hosting Palm webOS special event Feb. 9 - USATODAY.com

FP @ CES 2011: HP schedules webOS event for Feb. 9, dimming hopes for webOS tab at CES | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

HP Schedules WebOS Event In February -- Is This The Palm Tablet?

webOS-centric event to be held Feb. 9: HP - National Technology | Examiner.com

TGT /smh
    Um, all those links you provided were not on the front page or homepage of those publications.

The Verizon iPhone announcement WAS on the homepage of Yahoo.com and it was on the homepage of CNN.com. The homepage of two huge mainstream sites that everyone goes to.

So, for the average person that does not care about technology, they would have seen the Verizon iPhone on the homepage of Yahoo or CNN without having to look for it. Whereas, with the links you provided, the average person would have had to specifically go to the tech part of the website to find the info about the HP event.

See the difference?
    To add to the above, from Engadget

The Daily Show reacts to Verizon iPhone, Jon Stewart gets a little excited (video) -- Engadget

Jon Stewart spent a whopping 7 minutes and 18 seconds talking about the Verizon iPhone on his show.

Unbelievable!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    If you had a competitor that was #10 on the Fortune 500 list and moved into the mobile phone space, you bet you'd be scared out of your mind.
    wow I didnt know that and microsoft is #36 and Apple is #56. Funny I didnt see Google at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That still has no bearing. HP is moving into a territory that it's never really dealt with before (I think we can all forget about the ipaq); and to say that any of their tablets up to this point has been successful is, well, not accurate to say the least.
    true, but again even Google did a couple of years ago not knowing much at all in regards to computer software, or electronics now see where they are in the mobile world. Also didnt, and dont have the capital or business relationships worldwide in the computer business as HP does. IPaq devices as well were using one of their partners OS's (microsoft) as well as never went all in when trying to play their hand in the mobile space.
    Money does not equal guaranteed success.

I'm not saying anything about HPs chances.
    I'm speaking in general.

So please, drop that.
    Also, Yahoo has had the Verizon iPhone on it's home page, along with CNN.

My local radio station talked about it on my drive home and when I got home, it was being talked about on my local news channel on tv.

Notice no where did I mention any tech sites or tech blogs. Thats the difference between Apple and everyone else.

Even before the official announcement today the mainstream media talked about the announcement today last week and over the weekend.

When HP has their event next month lets see how much media attention they get outside of the tech blogs. I say none. That's the HUGE difference that so many people on this site choose to ignore between Apple and everyone else. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that EVERYONE pays attention to Apple. Why is it that so many people are in denial about it on this forum?

More importantly, why all the over the top "HP is big and has plenty of resources" so by default webOS will be successful? To be blunt, that's just stupid. But, try telling that to a loyal on this forum. Some of us live in the real world, then you have PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community.
    lol wow did a palm pre bandit steal your lunch money cause you sound madd bitter. Its not that serious homie, and as I keep stating people like you who are on a forum who represents wait for it,,,,,, Webos/HP/and Palm why because this is a ............webos/Hp/Palm website. Regardless if you go to the off topic, cross products, whatever your still on a site that supports Webos. So you cant get to madd at people who believe in something in the likes of webos. All things are feesable HP with webos can fall flat on their *** and flop. They could be successful in either the mobile part, or just the tablet part running webos. Or it all can be successful. Its all assumptions being made, from of course opinions choosing the best outcome because of again what site your on. Your points are valid, but even when you saw last year when Palm boat was already sunk, people still believed in the mythical C40 coming out or no where and saving Palm who was more then down and out. So why does any of this bother anyone who is not completly sold, for, or about webos?
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 01/12/2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Money does not equal guaranteed success.

I'm not saying anything about HPs chances.
    I'm speaking in general.

So please, drop that.
    im confused who is stating that just because HP has money that Webos will be successful? You keep stating this, so Im confused at what angle your approaching your statemnt? Money is not gurranteed success no, but in Palm/Webos case it def helps their chances. At the end of the day they still can flop, but read my post before this one.
    To add to the above, from Engadget

The Daily Show reacts to Verizon iPhone, Jon Stewart gets a little excited (video) -- Engadget

Jon Stewart spent a whopping 7 minutes and 18 seconds talking about the Verizon iPhone on his show.

Unbelievable!
    We believe you, we all see it too. Believe me the Iphone for VZ will sell alot regardless if its the same model that was released 7 months ago. Just because they have been waiting years for this to happen, and I think all the users on VZ will all consider strongly moving to it. As well as alot of people will be jumping networks for it. What it will to HP's convention, I really dont know, but I think not much because it is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    lol wow did a palm pre bandit steal your lunch money cause you sound madd bitter. Its not that serious homie, and as I keep stating people like you who are on a forum who represents what for it,,,,,, Webos/HP/and Palm why because this is a ............webos/Hp/Palm website. Regardless if you go to the off topic, cross products, whatever your still on a site that supports Webos. So you cant get to made at people who believe in something in the likes of webos. All things are feesable HP with webos can fall flat on their *** and flop. They could be successful in either the mobile part, or just the tablet part running webos. Or it all can be successful. Its all assumptions being made, from of course opinions choosing the best outcome because of again what site your on. Your points are valid, but even when you saw last year when Palm boat was already sunk, people still believed in the mythical C40 coming out or no where and saving Palm who was more then down and out. So why does any of this bother anyone who is not completly sold, for, or about webos?
    LOL. I'm not mad. I'm just replying to some of the over the top stuff that is said. Like people on here thinking that because the iPhone 4 is now 7 months old no one really cares compared to the still unreleased webOS device(s).

Just giving examples where tons of people are still interested in the iPhone 4.