View Poll Results: What are your plans?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just waiting for pre-orders on the 2nd.

9 5.39%
  • I'll wait until after the 9th to decide.

44 26.35%
  • Sticking it out.

34 20.36%
  • PAAAAAALM!!!!

80 47.90%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
    I do like the iPhone, but I DO love my Pre Plus. I could easily buy an iPhone in April when one of my lines is up... But I will wait it out. I have a feeling next month brings joy to the few webOS fanatics in the world. Also, webOS is just so smooth and the notifications are so neatly created that I don't know if I'm ready to downgrade so rapidly.... Honestly, my next webOS phone HAS to have the longest battery life possible WITHOUT buying a new battery. I lost my iPod nano so I have to use the music player on the Pre, which is good, but the battery is killing me Also the plasticky feel of the Pre makes me feel cheap too...
    Quote Originally Posted by gergan View Post
    Because they are arogant and delusional. The problem with apple is the harismatic mad man, which runs the company, as long he has the luck and all are making mistkes around him all will be good, and the sheep will come to be milked...
    Lol. Okay.
    Just to go slightly off-topic, did this thread really get 200 posts in a day? Usually you only see that in the off-topic forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by max167
    Apple's decision to try and 'sucker-punch' again and Steve Jobs' (infrequent) referrals to Palm suggest to me one thing. Apple is scared of HP/Palm. If HP launch an intergrated ecosystem of WebOS products based on the cloud (Printers, tablets, smartphones, netbooks etc) they could quite easily dominate the market. HP know it. Rubinstein knows it. Apple knows it. 2011 will be a big year for WebOS.

Or am i just letting my imagination run wild?
    If you had a competitor that was #10 on the Fortune 500 list and moved into the mobile phone space, you bet you'd be scared out of your mind.
    I think it's more of a "sucker punch" to AT&T. Perhaps Palm in passing but much more for AT&T. Why do you think AT&T rushed in to say "slower network"? There may even be a CDMA iPad.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    If you had a competitor that was #10 on the Fortune 500 list and moved into the mobile phone space, you bet you'd be scared out of your mind.
    That still has no bearing. HP is moving into a territory that it's never really dealt with before (I think we can all forget about the ipaq); and to say that any of their tablets up to this point has been successful is, well, not accurate to say the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Just to go slightly off-topic, did this thread really get 200 posts in a day? Usually you only see that in the off-topic forum.
    this is the reason why iPhone will sell like crazy in Verizon. If you look at any other smartphone forum, they are all talking about it. It's buzzing the industry and everyone in their lunch table talking about Verizon Iphone. Let's see how many people talking about HP/Palm announcement on Feb 10th.
    I though it was Palm was choosing whos deal to take, HTC offered the most money for Palm, but all HTC wanted was the patents, so Palm said no.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    this is the reason why iPhone will sell like crazy in Verizon. If you look at any other smartphone forum, they are all talking about it. It's buzzing the industry and everyone in their lunch table talking about Verizon Iphone. Let's see how many people talking about HP/Palm announcement on Feb 10th.
    That is a key point that is often lost on boards like these. The iPhone/iPod/iPad has broken into the mainstream consciousness. That is a place far outside the realm of tech enthusiasts, bloggers, and the geek elite. If you are well versed in homebrew, rooting, jailbreaking, patching, and the like, you are not the mainstream.

As one writer put it, "Every goat herder in Afghanistan has heard of the iPhone." By tomorrow, they will be debating the relative merits of the iPhone on AT&T vs. Verizon.

HP will doubtless announce something very interesting to the enthusiast crowd, if for no other reason than that set has been waiting for a long time to hear from Palm. The bar is very low for generating some initial interest. All HP has to do is produce something that doesn't outright suck. Many in the press will hail it as the second coming, and quickly label it as the ikiller, just as they did with the Pre. That is a far cry from Joe the plumber knowing, or caring about it.
    Also, Yahoo has had the Verizon iPhone on it's home page, along with CNN.

My local radio station talked about it on my drive home and when I got home, it was being talked about on my local news channel on tv.

Notice no where did I mention any tech sites or tech blogs. Thats the difference between Apple and everyone else.

Even before the official announcement today the mainstream media talked about the announcement today last week and over the weekend.

When HP has their event next month lets see how much media attention they get outside of the tech blogs. I say none. That's the HUGE difference that so many people on this site choose to ignore between Apple and everyone else. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that EVERYONE pays attention to Apple. Why is it that so many people are in denial about it on this forum?

More importantly, why all the over the top "HP is big and has plenty of resources" so by default webOS will be successful? To be blunt, that's just stupid. But, try telling that to a loyal on this forum. Some of us live in the real world, then you have PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Also, Yahoo has had the Verizon iPhone on it's home page, along with CNN.

My local radio station talked about it on my drive home and when I got home, it was being talked about on my local news channel on tv.

Notice no where did I mention any tech sites or tech blogs. Thats the difference between Apple and everyone else.

Even before the official announcement today the mainstream media talked about the announcement today last week and over the weekend.

When HP has their event next month lets see how much media attention they get outside of the tech blogs. I say none. That's the HUGE difference that so many people on this site choose to ignore between Apple and everyone else. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that EVERYONE pays attention to Apple. Why is it that so many people are in denial about it on this forum?

More importantly, why all the over the top "HP is big and has plenty of resources" so by default webOS will be successful? To be blunt, that's just stupid. But, try telling that to a loyal on this forum. Some of us live in the real world, then you have PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community.
    haha burn. but agreed.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    maybe it will sell like crazy...but...for how long ? smart phones sales are like fashion sales. one year this is the king, the next one,that is the king,etc. the looks and marketing strategy of apple might not be enough to last for more than a year, or much less.
    hp can start a new trend with their new devices and synergy system. something that everyone will try to imitate
    Quote Originally Posted by xcharles718 View Post
    I though it was Palm was choosing whos deal to take, HTC offered the most money for Palm, but all HTC wanted was the patents, so Palm said no.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.
    It's true, and I'm pretty upset it didn't happen... We'd have a webOS Evo already...
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    maybe it will sell like crazy...but...for how long ? smart phones sales are like fashion sales. one year this is the king, the next one,that is the king,etc. the looks and marketing strategy of apple might not be enough to last for more than a year, or much less.
    hp can start a new trend with their new devices and synergy system. something that everyone will try to imitate
    Iphone has been a fashion statement for years....Palm never made it far enough to be one. Apparently ppl think the "Curved cards" look cool (my friends), but no one wants to pop to buy the phone because none of their friends have it....
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    People aren't buying a phone, though. They buy into an ecosystem. The iPhone has an incredible upgrade rate because the entire iPhone experience gets better year after year.
    Game Set Match
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    I feel bad for HP/Palm. I'm worried they'll be overshadowed by all the appleness on the 10th and they wont get the big enough attention that they deserve.

If i was HP/Palm i would move the date of the announcement up a week. I know it would be difficult due to already scheduling the day but i feel like it would be worth the hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Yeah, bad timing. Feb 9th WebOS announcement; Feb 10th iPhone available to the masses; Feb 14th the start of MWC and the rumor of the HTC Scribe being announcement. Also I think that the iPad 2 will be announced in Feb.

Moving it up a week will not help. Verizon iPhone will go on pre-sale on Feb 3th. There will be more leaks about the Playbook, Android tablets and phones. AT&T will be running ads about why the iPhone on there network is better than the iPhone on Verzion and pushing there new top phone the Atrix.

Edit: The Motorola Xoom will be released in Feb with a rumored ad push during the Superbowl.
    Edit2: There are rumors that the Playbook will have ads during the Superbowl and the Black-Eye Peas half them show.
    HP should not move up the date, they should extend out the date, to let's say late August to early December. This is the only time frame that they will not be overshadowed by a fruit HP can't pick. January to July belongs to Apple.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    Iphone has been a fashion statement for years....Palm never made it far enough to be one. Apparently ppl think the "Curved cards" look cool (my friends), but no one wants to pop to buy the phone because none of their friends have it....
    palm never made it far enough ???
    let us not forget who ruled first. who's the one that started it all? alm. much more than that. before the incredible new idea of a smartphone, whose electronic agenda used to be in everyones "palm"? and after all that , webos still is the best os out there accordding to top developers.
    You can't run scared if you're going to compete in this business. Apple will get their press. It'll honestly be interesting to see how the 10th plays out. The hype has been so built up about it even a modest success might appear a failure: "VZ iPhone doesn't sell out in day 1. Has the Apple lost its shine?". Nonetheless, HP has to take its best shot and then duke it out in the marketplace. Besides, it's not unreasonable to think HP could announce something game changing themselves on February 9th (first steps to a device independent future perhaps?). There will always be ******* from other platforms who get their jollies coming here to put down another OS, whatever. I seriously doubt Ruby and Bradley live in fear of Apple's, or Google's next move. They know they belong in this fight and that the smartphone market is extremely volatile and that there is no reason to believe that will change anytime soon. Apple and Google have had good success with their devices, we'll just have to see what happens on Feb 9th and over the next couple years.

Gargoyle
    Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    It's true, and I'm pretty upset it didn't happen... We'd have a webOS Evo already...
    mmm...no. All they wanted was the patents to protect them from lawsuits, why you think Palm ever got sued? Palm was trying to keep webOS alive, so the best option was HP.