Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52
  1. #21  
    Honeycomb is replacing the tap and hold of the Home button with its own button for app switching. Instead of tap and hold, just tap. Also instead of displaying an icon for the app, you get the see the actual running app! Nice!!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    With all the android masses coming in here and claiming how much they love holding down the home button to see icons, and how much more "effifient" it is than webos multitasking the Duarte interview must be bad news.

    I fully expect google inbox to be flooded with protest mail clamoring for them not to release honeycom with it's new card metaphor. But maybe not because I never believed them any way.

    PS: You can still get your hard press fix with an iphone
    The Motorola Honeycomb Xoom tablet was declared the top product of 2011 CES. I cannot find any post on any forum except for yours stating that users are not happy about Honeycomb or Gingerbread.

    Also, Duarte does not say that long-press Home will go away as a means to see your last 8 apps you used. Honeycomb is adding a card metaphore as well.

    For me cards are slow. I open too many apps in a day to sort through them all. It is just faster to just type "ma" for mail for instance. It is faster still to just tap a folder icon and then the app to use it again.

    It did appear that Honeycomb does make the cards dramatically faster to sort through. If you are new and can't remember what app to open, it will be nice. But just as many power users press <Ctrl>-C and <Ctrl>-V to copy and paste, there will still be ways for power users to avoid the cards.

    There are dozens of Honeycomb videos that have gone viral. Check them out.

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/10/2011 at 08:16 AM.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Honeycomb is replacing the tap and hold of the Home button with its own button for app switching. Instead of tap and hold, just tap. Also instead of displaying an icon for the app, you get the see the actual running app! Nice!!
    Agreed. It's 2011 now, time to get with the program. I might even be tempted to get an android phone now
  4. #24  
    I dont get if your an Android, iOS or other OS user, why spend sooooo much time on precentral commenting, defending that OS.....why not just enjoy those site and your new toy?

    Of course, I know anyone can come here to comment, etc, but I just dont get it, since many seem to lurk around waiting for a chance to pounce, maybe I will never get it since I am not a tech geek.

    I am hopeful this site will get back to normal after HP introduce new devices, so we can again have more dialouge about HP webOS, rather than ever other thread about Android or Apple. I will not visit to find out, but I hope those other sites didnt get a daily onslaught of webOS trolls in 2009...
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I dont get if your an Android, iOS or other OS user, why spend sooooo much time on precentral commenting, defending that OS.....why not just enjoy those site and your new toy?

    Of course, I know anyone can come here to comment, etc, but I just dont get it, since many seem to lurk around waiting for a chance to pounce, maybe I will never get it since I am not a tech geek.

    I am hopeful this site will get back to normal after HP introduce new devices, so we can again have more dialouge about HP webOS, rather than ever other thread about Android or Apple. I will not visit to find out, but I hope those other sites didnt get a daily onslaught of webOS trolls in 2009...


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I dont get if your an Android, iOS or other OS user, why spend sooooo much time on precentral commenting, defending that OS.....why not just enjoy those site and your new toy?

    Of course, I know anyone can come here to comment, etc, but I just dont get it, since many seem to lurk around waiting for a chance to pounce, maybe I will never get it since I am not a tech geek.

    I am hopeful this site will get back to normal after HP introduce new devices, so we can again have more dialouge about HP webOS, rather than ever other thread about Android or Apple. I will not visit to find out, but I hope those other sites didnt get a daily onslaught of webOS trolls in 2009...
    It's one thing if that is done across this site and another if people in the Cross-Platform Chat actually chat across platforms. What I don't understand is why people are still complaining about people doing something in a specific forum that exactly matches the title of the forum.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    It's one thing if that is done across this site and another if people in the Cross-Platform Chat actually chat across platforms. What I don't understand is why people are still complaining about people doing something in a specific forum that exactly matches the title of the forum.
    No complaining, just making an observation. Also, no matter where its posted, they all shows up in "one place" as new threads, although its posted in its specific forum. Agsin, call me crazy, but I dont get why webOS users would want to come here daily to see more threads about Android and iOS than they probably got on their sites.

    Maybe I will take a visit to those other sites, to see how much is being posted about HP/webOS everytime there is news (good/bad) to better understand. This is just my observation of Precentral since I joined, and its getting worse by the day.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I dont get if your an Android, iOS or other OS user, why spend sooooo much time on precentral commenting, defending that OS.....why not just enjoy those site and your new toy?
    Pleasse see the forums listing to see the purpose of the Cross-Platform Chat:

    Cross-Platform Chat
    Palm Devices (Pre, Pixi, Treo, etc) vs. iPhone. Windows Mobile vs. BlackBerry. This is the place for "What should I get" and "My smartphone can beat up your smartphone." Formerly the Smartphone Round Robin Forum.

    Cross-Platform Chat is exactly the right forum to compare smartphones and operating systems.

    You may have a Pre and not be interested in the Pixi forum. You may not be a developer or interested in those forums. You may have no interest in Off-Topic chat. Or you may not be interested in Cross-Platform Chat.

    So just don't go to those forums. Please enjoy the forums that you like and let others participate in the forums they like. Hit New Posts but just skip topics that do not interest you.

    There are a lot of people who have more than one phone. There are many more who may have left but want to keep checking back looking for a reason to come back to webOS.

    If you see someone posting Cross-Platform content in the wrong forum, please hit the Report button so that we can move the thread to the right forum.

    The bottom line is that for many, it has been 24 months since the last Palm phone was announced for their carrier. It has been nearly a year since the 1.4.5 update came out. You have to let people talk about something.

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/10/2011 at 10:48 AM.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Pleasse see the forums listing to see the purpose of the Cross-Platform Chat:

    Cross-Platform Chat
    Palm Devices (Pre, Pixi, Treo, etc) vs. iPhone. Windows Mobile vs. BlackBerry. This is the place for "What should I get" and "My smartphone can beat up your smartphone." Formerly the Smartphone Round Robin Forum.

    Cross-Platform Chat is exactly the right forum to compare smartphones and operating systems.

    You may have a Pre and not be interested in the Pixi forum. You may not be a developer or interested in those forums. You may have no interest in Off-Topic chat. Or you may not be interested in Cross-Platform Chat.

    So just don't go to those forums. Please enjoy the forums that you like and let others participate in the forums they like. Hit New Posts but just skip topics that do not interest you.

    There are a lot of people who have more than one phone. There are many more who may have left but want to keep checking back here for talk of new webOS phones.

    If you see someone posting Cross-Platform content in the wrong forum, please hit the Report button so that we can move the thread to the right forum.

    And bottom line is that it has been a year since we have had a new Palm product to talk about. It has been nearly a year since the 1.4.5 update came out. You have to let people talk about something.

    - Craig
    Thanks and makes sense. Man, let 2/9/2011 get here FAST.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Thanks and makes sense. Man, let 2/9/2011 get here FAST.
    Rover,

    That is my thought exactly. Please let 2/9/11 come quickly!

    Part of it is that we are dealing with are two completely different marketing philosophies.

    Google has not even "announced" Honeycomb yet but got the CES award for the Honeycomb Xoom. They started leaking Honeycomb details nearly a year ago. Google started leaking Ice Cream details last summer. Google knows how to keep the blogs and forums, Facebook and Twitter in a constant frenzy.

    Android manufacturers show off prototypes of new products months in advance. They "leak" the specs up to a year in advance.

    Google has figured out how to get a billion dollars of marketing for each release for free.

    The average webOS lover at this point can tell you more of the specs of the new Android products coming even ten months from now than the new webOS phones.

    Other companies use the mushroom marketing approach: Keep them in the dark and feed them...something great for growing mushrooms.

    If we had something to talk about from HP, you can bet that we would. "In the absence of genuine leadership, they'll listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone."

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/10/2011 at 11:11 AM.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    The home button is efficient and easy to use.

    Posted from my eVo!
    No it's not!!!! Posted from my Droid Pro.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    No it's not!!!! Posted from my Droid Pro.
    Anything to add to this?

    I would say it's more efficient than the card way where you don't even know which app is which until you actually look at the card.
    Icons are more efficient.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Anything to add to this?

    I would say it's more efficient than the card way where you don't even know which app is which until you actually look at the card.
    Icons are more efficient.
    Icons may be a bit "quicker" but maybe not more "efficient". Taking from some of what Matias had to say, there are some psychological factors that come into play when you are, say, looking for a specific app in a specific state (I'm guessing it's more significant in apps like browsers where you can have multiple copies open).

    In terms of the number of steps to switch, both systems are on par when there are 8 or less apps open. webOS takes the edge if the next app you want to go back to is adjacent to the current one. Android takes the edge when this is not the case. webOS takes the lead when there are more than 8 apps open though there are apps that help with that on Android.

    Honeycomb gives Android some nice features.

    The real bad news for webOS here is that the multitasking argument will carry even less weight than it does now. webOS' task switcher is their largest claim to fame. The new task switcher in Honeycomb will suck some of the impact of that claim to fame right out of webOS.

    That's what I'd be worried about if I were HP. I wouldn't put too much in which one is actually more efficient.
  14.    #34  
    The whole debate about which platform multitasks better has to do with what exactly is multitasking. Technically there is no such thing as multitasking since we all can only interact one app at a time (except like playing music in the background).

    Now if we are talking about doing two or three related tasks webos wins easily with the advanced gestures. I can be playing a video in one card while searching for another to play in another card and switch between them effortlessly with a simple gesture. That to me is close to multitasking.

    Now when you start to talk about eight apps open I dont consider that multitasking, most of the time if I have more than three I forgot what was open in the first place and they were only open because I forgot to close them.

    Any way if you want to call having eight apps open multitasking, then android wins easily, because navigating through that many is a pain, especially when not minimized. Plus to go back to an app and having it in the same state is a definate plus.
  15. #35  
    Technically there IS such a thing as multitasking. People confuse task switching with multitasking all the time. They are related but not one in the same.

    Narrowing it down to just three apps simply because that's how you work is fine but it does not represent everyone. I often use 4 apps just while on my bike rides. I've often bounced between more than 4 apps depending on what I'm doing. I did it on webOS just fine and I do it on Android just fine. I've never had 50 app open but more power to the person that needs that feature because it's available to them. Switching between 50 app can be an issue on any platform (even desktops).
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    No complaining, just making an observation. Also, no matter where its posted, they all shows up in "one place" as new threads, although its posted in its specific forum. Agsin, call me crazy, but I dont get why webOS users would want to come here daily to see more threads about Android and iOS than they probably got on their sites.

    Maybe I will take a visit to those other sites, to see how much is being posted about HP/webOS everytime there is news (good/bad) to better understand. This is just my observation of Precentral since I joined, and its getting worse by the day.
    I have been to the androidcentral once a long time ago, and there was plenty of pre bashing over there. You would think that with all the android devices that get released and new software upgrades that would keep android users busy on android central. I quess they are still webos fans at heart, but it has never occured to my to join android central to talk bad about their platform or even just to compare platforms
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    No complaining, just making an observation. Also, no matter where its posted, they all shows up in "one place" as new threads, although its posted in its specific forum. Agsin, call me crazy, but I dont get why webOS users would want to come here daily to see more threads about Android and iOS than they probably got on their sites.

    Maybe I will take a visit to those other sites, to see how much is being posted about HP/webOS everytime there is news (good/bad) to better understand. This is just my observation of Precentral since I joined, and its getting worse by the day.
    Totally agree, this argument that it is cross platform so its okay. Its not like one has to go to a particular forum to see the posts. I bet most members just look and the new posts and cant avoid seeing all the android posts if they wanted to.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    No it's not!!!! Posted from my Droid Pro.
    I don't understand why you think it isn't. You press it for a second or two and there's a list of the last 8 apps you've use, tap the one you want and you're right back where you were, when you left off.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I have been to the androidcentral once a long time ago, and there was plenty of pre bashing over there. You would think that with all the android devices that get released and new software upgrades that would keep android users busy on android central. I quess they are still webos fans at heart, but it has never occured to my to join android central to talk bad about their platform or even just to compare platforms
    On my computer, this forum (Cross-Platform Chat) is in TreoCentral.com. I've come here to talk about a variety of devices for years. What I don't understand is why Pre owners feel they need to camp here to defend their 1%-market-share device.
  20. #40  
    Thats what i dont' get...why come in here and ***** about people in the right forums rather than being in the Pre or WebOS forum and ignoring this one completely?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions