Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So how long before google put out a Honeycomb vers for phones... And how many, if any, of the CURRENT phones, do you believe will get the update..

while I don't dispute the definition of fragmentation the way eric schmidt put it .. However.. At the rate of android expansion this issue of all androids having different vers is real.. And finally when they got it under control with froyo.. Will we see an uprise again.

Edit: I use the word fragmentation for a lack of a better word

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    So how long before google put out a Honeycomb vers for phones... And how many, if any, of the CURRENT phones, do you believe will get the update..

Honeycomb is only for Tablets.

- Google releases the updates to manufacturers that then go ahead and release them OTA [if they so choose]

- No current phones will get Honeycomb since it's Tablet based.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 01/09/2011 at 10:20 AM.
    very good question, though I just think it will be the same as usual. After honecomb comes cornflakes, or muffin mix whatever the next OS, and again the phones who got honecomb first will get the next one ahead of everyone else and so fourth. ITs because Google has so many manufacturers developing devices, thats the reason why fragmentation will always be a issue, though of course Google prob knew this going in to this strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    - Honeycomb is only for Tablets.

- Google releases the updates to manufacturers that then go ahead and release them OTA [if they so choose]

- No current phones will get Honeycomb since it's Tablet based.

<<quote edited>>
    well according to Matias Duarte Honey comb will be on phones:

Matias Duarte Gives Glimpse of Android Honeycomb on Phones
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/09/2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: cleaned quote
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    very good question, though I just think it will be the same as usual. After honecomb comes cornflakes, or muffin mix whatever the next OS, and again the phones who got honecomb first will get the next one ahead of everyone else and so fourth. ITs because Google has so many manufacturers developing devices, thats the reason why fragmentation will always be a issue, though of course Google prob knew this going in to this strategy.
    The next version is called Ice Cream.
    Next Android Release To Be Called β€˜Ice Cream’ - Elizabeth Woyke - Mobilized - Forbes

Do you not get how Android works?
    It is an open source platform.
    It is not like WebOS or IOS that is specifically made by the underlying company [Hp, Apple].

Google develops the code of Android.
    Releases it into the world.

Any person, any company, anyone can use that code to whatever means they want.
    They can make an Android powered Toaster.
    They can make an Android powered toilet.

What manufacturers choose to do with the new versions is their own choice.
    Google has nothing to do with it.
    EDIT: I should add as long as that person/company/manufacturer follows the GPL.

Moreover, being as almost 90% of phones are running Android 2.1 + [because manufacturers are realizing that updates matter more than ever to customers] the "fragmentation issue" is less than an issue than ever before.

well according to Matias Duarte Honey comb will be on phones:

Matias Duarte Gives Glimpse of Android Honeycomb on Phones
    First anyone has heard of it as it was being said that Honeycomb would be tablet only.

Also, when you watch the Honeycomb video, it states "Built entirely for Tablet".
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 01/09/2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added gpl comment
    Please read my post before posting.. Thank you

I did and I saw someone that is confused on how Android works. So I kindly explained it to you.

Google does not release Android to phones.

Google makes the source code for Android available to anyone who wants to use it and phone manufacturers [and then carriers] choose to release it to whatever phones they deem can run and/or should get the update.

It's important to understand this because it seems like a lot of people don't.
    Apple pushes their IOS updates.
    Hp/palm pushes their WebOS updates.
    BB the same.

Google merely releases source code and allows HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc etc etc and anyone else as well to use that code and adapt it to any [and i mean any] device they see fit.
  7.    #7  

Moreover, being as almost 90% of phones are running Android 2.1 + [because manufacturers are realizing that updates matter more than ever to customers] the "fragmentation issue" is less than an issue than ever before.
    This is my point exactly.. How many of the Current android lineup will Get a HC Version (specifically for phones.. Call it ice cream ... cookie dough.. One night stand who cares).. Due to manufacturers understanding the need to keep older models current

I believe they are trying to contain the fragmentation on smartphones with the release of honeycomb though, we will have to wait and see. Though it would help on android phones with more of a clean interface, and less menus.
    How many of the Current android lineup will Get a HC Version
    That's a hard question to answer.

It depends on a myriad of different issues.

Including what it will take to run Honeycomb correctly. [Specs wise]

While Google has never put a minimum standard on Android, one still exists.

A phone like the G1 can barely run 2.2 [and can only do so with a kernel hacked to bits and a radio hacked to where there is "more ram" on the device]
    So obviously a phone that old would very likely NOT get 3.0.

Being as all the tablets that have Honeycomb are dual-cores with a gig of ram...
    It stands to reason that a phone like the original Droid won't be getting it.
    That's a hard question to answer.

It depends on a myriad of different issues.

Including what it will take to run Honeycomb correctly. [Specs wise]

While Google has never put a minimum standard on Android, one still exists.

A phone like the G1 can barely run 2.2 [and can only do so with a kernel hacked to bits and a radio hacked to where there is "more ram" on the device]
    So obviously a phone that old would very likely NOT get 3.0.

Being as all the tablets that have Honeycomb are dual-cores with a gig of ram...
    It stands to reason that a phone like the original Droid won't be getting it.

so you understand now that smartphones will get honeycomb, because you just told me earlier it isnt. Which one is it? Also last time I checked the dual core issue was a rumor, and not likely to be able to run 3.0. Otherwise why would they state this may solve the fragmentation issue, if you can only run this on a handfull of phones with only dual cores?
    so you understand now that smartphones will get honeycomb, because you just told me earlier it isnt. Which one is it? Also last time I checked the dual core issue was a rumor, and not likely to be able to run 3.0.
    After reading your article I see that they will be releasing a Honeycomb version.

Which goes against everything that has been discussed on any Android website.

Including what the video that shows off Honeycomb.
    http://ces.cnet.com/8301-32254_1-20027466-283.html

Dual-core is a rumor?

Viewsonic G Tablet, LG Optimus 2X, Toshiba AC-100, Toshiba Folio 100, Asus Transformer, Asus Slider, Motorola Droid Bionic, Motorola Xoom, Motorola Atrix, Tesla Model S, Notion Ink Adam, Velocity Micro Cruz Tablet L510, Acer Iconia Tab A500

Everyone of those devices will be running a dual-core cpu.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Tegra

Check your attitude at the door. If I'm not allowed to have any then neither will anyone else on this forum.
    After reading your article I see that they will be releasing a Honeycomb version.

Which goes against everything that has been discussed on any Android website.

Including what the video that shows off Honeycomb.
    CES: Android Honeycomb video shows slick tablet OS - CES 2011 CNET Blogs

Dual-core is a rumor?

Viewsonic G Tablet, LG Optimus 2X, Toshiba AC-100, Toshiba Folio 100, Asus Transformer, Asus Slider, Motorola Droid Bionic, Motorola Xoom, Motorola Atrix, Tesla Model S, Notion Ink Adam, Velocity Micro Cruz Tablet L510, Acer Iconia Tab A500

Everyone of those devices will be running a dual-core cpu.
    Nvidia Tegra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check your attitude at the door. If I'm not allowed to have any then neither will anyone else on this forum.
    ok thanks for the update, and last time I checked attitude is fine at the door, in the room etc which is what you came in here with. I could have easily barked at you over just that statment but Ill keep it domestic in here, Ive already been warned a few times. Understand some of us know a thing a two about other OS's, we are all not locked down to Webos, IOS etc so the blind comment about that held no weight period. Glad we can come to a understanding, you be easy homie.
    Ahh. Another post trying to make the fragmentation issue larger than it actually is. Love it. Too bad the vast majority of Android users don't really care about this (as most of them don't know and don't care to know which version of Android is on their device).
    Understand some of us know a thing a two about other OS's, we are all not locked down to Webos, IOS etc so the blind comment about that held no weight period.
    The whole "fragmentation issue" shows a lack of understanding for the basics of Android.

It's just not the same as IOS, BB OS nor WebOS.

It is a completely different monster all together.

You're trying to blame Google for something that is out of their control because you're holding them within the confines that you hold the others.
    The whole "fragmentation issue" shows a lack of understanding for the basics of Android.

It's just not the same as IOS, BB OS nor WebOS.

It is a completely different monster all together.

You're trying to blame Google for something that is out of their control because you're holding them within the confines that you hold the others.
    no not really, as I stated this is something Google even understands was going to happen. To me of course their would be some sort of fragmentation, at least intially once Google took off (which was 2010). With all the manufacturers grabbing for whatever OS is available (at each time a different one sometimes) is logical that would happen. Google also trys their best at upgraded any device that is able to update to the latest OS as fast as they can. So no I hold Google at no main fault, just because of the circumstances. Of course IOS. Webos, BB etc dont have this issue due to the fact most of them have 1 or 2 manufactuers, and also dont have so many updates in hardware a year thats a no brainer.
    <<Thread cleaned>>
    Everyone needs to be more polite. None of us knows as much as we think we do. In general, statements that start with the word "You" are probably headed in the wrong direction.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Ahh. Another post trying to make the fragmentation issue larger than it actually is. Love it. Too bad the vast majority of Android users don't really care about this (as most of them don't know and don't care to know which version of Android is on their device).
    hmm I dont see that anywhere in this paticular post, Im pretty sure most of us understand the issue Google has and if its a major one or a small one (which nobody knows except Google's internal team) they are trying to fix it so its a concern right. Thanks for your 2 cents though, but you can keep it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    <<Thread cleaned>>
    Everyone needs to be more polite. None of us knows as much as we think we do. In general, statements that start with the word "You" are probably headed in the wrong direction.
    sorry about that
    hmm I dont see that anywhere in this paticular post, Im pretty sure most of us understand the issue Google has and if its a major one or a small one (which nobody knows except Google's internal team) they are trying to fix it so its a concern right. Thanks for your 2 cents though, but you can keep it.
    Hey, thanks for the insult, I'll try to be offended when I get some time (I'm a little busy at the moment, sorry).

Anyway, a simple look at the thread title will confirm my point. Also my point was not that it is not an issue at all but rather it is not nearly as large as people here try to make it out to be. Most users really don't care.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Hey there .. ..while I don't dispute the definition of fragmentation the way eric schmidt put it .. However.. At the rate of android expansion this issue of all androids having different vers is real.. And finally when they got it under control with froyo.. Will we see an uprise again.

Personally I think you're right most users don't care what vers they have.. But if it brings a cleaner UI and additional features I'm sure users will want it.

Will this want prompt manufacturers to update to the latest vers... For some sort of loyalty or do you think that users have no loyalty to the Manufacturer with android?

Edit: I use the word fragmentation for a lack of a better word

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast