Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I did and I saw someone that is confused on how Android works. So I kindly explained it to you.

Google does not release Android to phones.

Google makes the source code for Android available to anyone who wants to use it and phone manufacturers [and then carriers] choose to release it to whatever phones they deem can run and/or should get the update.

It's important to understand this because it seems like a lot of people don't.
    Apple pushes their IOS updates.
    Hp/palm pushes their WebOS updates.
    BB the same.

Google merely releases source code and allows HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc etc etc and anyone else as well to use that code and adapt it to any [and i mean any] device they see fit.
    precisely. google only pushes updates to their nexus line.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Yeah. With Android though, they simply specify which version is supported and the market will filter. So if the app does not work for your version of Android, you don't see it. You are right however, they they'll need to decide when to discontinue support for an old version of an app tied to an old version of the OS, but that's no different from any platform. Even webOS 2.0 has some features that are not backwards compatible with prior versions and developers must either make dual versions or a single version with multiple paths until things are synch'd up. Eventually, old hardware will no longer be supported. There were even issues with some apps between the Pre and the Pixi. This sort of thing will continue to happen on all platforms but I don't think it will be such a big deal. Users will learn to pick the right device for their needs, regardless of platform. Like, don't get a DROID X if you want video conferencing or don't get a Sprint Pixi if you need to do heavy web-browsing on your home wifi connection. If 3D gaming is your thing, certain products are better for that than others on the same platform. That's why I encourage people to use the heck out of those trial periods. Try before you buy is a wonderful thing.

you are correct, but lets say other OS's hit the market with only 1 or 2 different products running 1 OS version. Lets say these different OS's are very solid, advertised well, and are accepted by the masses. Now when a consumer goes into a store and dosent want to figure out which phone does this, which phone does that. Dont get this one because it dosent have this program or that one because it dosent support this feature. They will most likely go to the device thats upgraded once a year, has one or two models, and has the same OS's on them. Do you think they will tend to lean to those like people do the iphone, regardless of its status currently?
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    you are correct, but lets say other OS's hit the market with only 1 or 2 different products running 1 OS version. Lets say these different OS's are very solid, advertised well, and are accepted by the masses. Now when a consumer goes into a store and dosent want to figure out which phone does this, which phone does that. Dont get this one because it dosent have this program or that one because it dosent support this feature. They will most likely go to the device thats upgraded once a year, has one or two models, and has the same OS's on them. Do you think they will tend to lean to those like people do the iphone, regardless of its status currently?
    Your issue is that you're outlining the Apple way of doing things.
    Which was great for years ago but not now.

One other thing...fragmentation comes from growth.

Ios is technically fragmented too ...so what?

Sent from my HTC EVO via Tapatalk Pro
    true most people now dont care, but the question is if its not contained will they?
    My guess is that if people start caring more, they'll simply learn to pick the manufactures that provide a solid update path. Even among us geeks here, I see this happening already. I see lots of posts where people are starting to avoid Samsung because they seem to be slow to update. If it really does become an issue for the general consumer, I believe they will take a similar stance. In the end it is the device manufacturer that will pay the price, not Android itself.
    My guess is that if people start caring more, they'll simply learn to pick the manufactures that provide a solid update path. Even among us geeks here, I see this happening already. I see lots of posts where people are starting to avoid Samsung because they seem to be slow to update. If it really does become an issue for the general consumer, I believe they will take a similar stance. In the end it is the device manufacturer that will pay the price, not Android itself.
    true, I think that may be the way Google will take it eventually. Maybe go down to one or two manufacturers, with a solid OS and keep it moving. This has to be more profitable, (just look at how much apple makes on the iphone alone, and on only 1 carrier in the US). Google has the backing now, and could really start to let certain manufactuers go that arent really selling, and focus on the ones that are.
    Well, I think 2 things tend to happen.
    1. A user does not care about a particular brand and will still have to look at which phone does what and pick the one that fits their needs. Their choices include phones from all platforms.
    2. A user is loyal to a particular brand and will have to pick a device that best fits their needs from that platform only. If that platform only offers one choice, then it's all the user has to choose from.

I do not think will automatically gravitate to the line that only offers limited choices simply because it offers limited choices. Honestly, I believe people get an iPhone because they want an iPhone, not because there aren't many iOS-based choices and not because it is only updated once a year.
    true, I think that may be the way Google will take it eventually. Maybe go down to one or two manufacturers, with a solid OS and keep it moving. This has to be more profitable, (just look at how much apple makes on the iphone alone, and on only 1 carrier in the US). Google has the backing now, and could really start to let certain manufactuers go that arent really selling, and focus on the ones that are.
    Except that's not how Google benefits from Android. Even the recent Engadget interview shows that what they want to do is create the foundation and let manufacturers innovate on top of that.

To over simplify it at bit: Google just wants to sell ads and the more devices that use Android, the better for Google.

I don't think Google will step in and start limiting manufacturers (in fact, much of what went into Honeycomb serves to free up some of the restrictions placed on manufacturers, e.g. the requirement to have 4 buttons). I do think that if fragmentation truly becomes an issue, consumers will start limiting the manufacturers they buy from.
    Except that's not how Google benefits from Android. Even the recent Engadget interview shows that what they want to do is create the foundation and let manufacturers innovate on top of that.

To over simplify it at bit: Google just wants to sell ads and the more devices that use Android, the better for Google.

I don't think Google will step in and start limiting manufacturers (in fact, much of what went into Honeycomb serves to free up some of the restrictions placed on manufacturers, e.g. the requirement to have 4 buttons). I do think that if fragmentation truly becomes an issue, consumers will start limiting the manufacturers they buy from.
    thats true also the reason why as a brand goole is number 3 in the world, though mostly due to their search engine. Def the more devices used, the more advertisment. Unless of course they really see a profit in downsizing their manufactures, and only they know that of course.
  9.    #49  
    Yeah. With Android though, they simply specify which version is supported and the market will filter. So if the app does not work for your version of Android, you don't see it. You are right however, they they'll need to decide when to discontinue support for an old version of an app tied to an old version of the OS, but that's no different from any platform. Even webOS 2.0 has some features that are not backwards compatible with prior versions and developers must either make dual versions or a single version with multiple paths until things are synch'd up. Eventually, old hardware will no longer be supported. There were even issues with some apps between the Pre and the Pixi. This sort of thing will continue to happen on all platforms but I don't think it will be such a big deal. Users will learn to pick the right device for their needs, regardless of platform. Like, don't get a DROID X if you want video conferencing or don't get a Sprint Pixi if you need to do heavy web-browsing on your home wifi connection. If 3D gaming is your thing, certain products are better for that than others on the same platform. That's why I encourage people to use the heck out of those trial periods. Try before you buy is a wonderful thing.
    +1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Well I must say I have been enjoying this debate in this thread.no mud slinging,name calling,no hostility.the way it should be. Sorry,I was thinking this so I had to say it.this is refreshing.

Evo-lution
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    Well I must say I have been enjoying this debate in this thread.no mud slinging,name calling,no hostility.the way it should be. Sorry,I was thinking this so I had to say it.this is refreshing.

Evo-lution
    This is how all these type of Threads should be..

Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post

Evo-lution
    So says the evo guy !lol ltm ltm ltm ha ha im just messin lol glad your still hanging around !! how is dbd doing anyways ???

The white will show you the way !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Duarte said that Honeycomb features will be coming to phones, not Honeycomb.

As to fragmentation, the only ones who talk about Android fragmentation is us and certain blogs. If you really want a certain version, download the ROM.

But for an average user they only update if needed.

They buy a phone and use it until they lose it or it doesn't do what they want.

In the new paradigm that's when they go back to Wal-Mart or 7-Eleven for a new one.

There was an old joke:
    "What time is it if your clock says 13 o'clock?"
    Answer: "Time to fix your clock."

Now the answer is: "Time to get a new clock."
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/09/2011 at 03:44 PM.
    so you understand now that smartphones will get honeycomb, because you just told me earlier it isnt. Which one is it? Also last time I checked the dual core issue was a rumor, and not likely to be able to run 3.0. Otherwise why would they state this may solve the fragmentation issue, if you can only run this on a handfull of phones with only dual cores?
    I think it is confusing to say this. No doubt phones will get appropriate features from Honeycomb, but it will be called something else and cary a different version number. They wont have "Honeycomb for pads" and "Honeycomb for phones"...

edit: I didn't see Pogey's post on this..
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Your issue is that you're outlining the Apple way of doing things.
    Which was great for years ago but not now.

One other thing...fragmentation comes from growth.

Ios is technically fragmented too ...so what?

Sent from my HTC EVO via Tapatalk Pro
    What's wrong with apples update model.. It's prob the one thing I like from them

Apple also has phones that don't have the newest OS update. For Example OS 4.x only has limited support for ipod touch 2nd Gen and Iphone3g.

And you have to pay for ipod touch updates.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    And you have to pay for ipod touch updates.
    Apple took care of that a while ago. iPod touch updates are free now.
    I don't care about fragmentation as long as my phone does what I need it to do.

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    More fragmentation info for all of us to share: the new Mac App Store is out now. If you look for Angry Birds (hard to miss since it dominates many of their selection categories), you find the following quote on the program description page:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac App Store
    IMPORTANT: Angry Birds requires OpenGL 2.0, which is not supported on GMA 950 graphics adapters. The following hardware is not supported: MacBook 1,1, MacBook 2,1, Macmini 1,1, Macmini 2,1 and inaccurate MA710xx/A
    The MacBook 2,1 wasn't upgraded until early 2008 and the Macmini 2,1 wasn't upgraded until spring 2009. Looks like Angry Birds has a fragmentation issue with Steve Jobs too.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    More fragmentation info for all of us to share: the new Mac App Store is out now. If you look for Angry Birds (hard to miss since it dominates many of their selection categories), you find the following quote on the program description page:

The MacBook 2,1 wasn't upgraded until early 2008 and the Macmini 2,1 wasn't upgraded until spring 2009. Looks like Angry Birds has a fragmentation issue with Steve Jobs too.
    Lol!!!... Tuche'

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast