Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In Jan 2009 the Palm Pre was dubbed best in show at CES .

In Jan 2011 the Motorola Xoom was dubbed best in show at CES.

The common denominator between those two devices is Matais Duarte.

Coincidence? I think not. The man is clearly a genius. More to come I'm sure.
    yes cheers to matias on this one. Design wins awards.

unfortunately for palm it wasn't enough to sell a boat load of phones.

I love that android is getting better in that space, it clearly was lacking.

and as a consumer vibrant competition means I win, and that's a great thing.
    He hasn't even been there a year. Could he really have brought something from drawing board to shipping in that time?

I have to believe that Google was already well along in their version of cards, task switching, etc. Not that he isn't a genius, cuz he probably is. But I gotta believe that the chance to influence design had already gone but - unless Google devs are 2x as fast as his Palm team was/is.

Also, a great deal of what made that device "best in show" was hardware, PC integration, etc. which was not developed by Google.

just sayin
    I think google is 1000 x faster than palm.
    best thing about webos is its ui. its too bad palm lost Matais Duarte. no loyalty in the business world. blows
    though he is a great developer, there are hundreds of greats out there as well. Google needed this, but at the end of the day its still which UI you prefer. With money behind Webos finally, the UI will be optimized to its full potential, and based on the linux kernel it can do things its competitors simply cannot. So I don't see nothing mind blowing with this product, or anything Google has come up with yet sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    He hasn't even been there a year. Could he really have brought something from drawing board to shipping in that time?

I have to believe that Google was already well along in their version of cards, task switching, etc. Not that he isn't a genius, cuz he probably is. But I gotta believe that the chance to influence design had already gone but - unless Google devs are 2x as fast as his Palm team was/is.

Also, a great deal of what made that device "best in show" was hardware, PC integration, etc. which was not developed by Google.

just sayin
    Well in his Engadget interview, he spoke to some of his contributions. He even got a little input into Gingerbread.
    Watch the engadget interview! He has been there for 12 months and did a whole lot on Honeycomb.

I don't know if I'm a palm fan but a matias duarte fan.
    matias is a really cool guy (just watched the engadget interview) and an awesomely talented designer at that. however, it's going to take some time to fix up the overall bland looks of android. i am unsure whether its possible to make it much prettier but only time will tell. though given android's success its probably safe to say that no one is buying it on looks alone.. (they're buying it since its the only thing being pushed to them , unless you're AT&T).
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Who cares whether Android and/or webOS is linux or not!? We care whether it's a good mobile OS or not. I've seen the same article in bold spamming up a number of threads, in addition to that poster's unnecessarily frequent "input."

Interesting that webOS and Honeycomb both seem to have caught the eye of the trade press so much though... (and that's nothing to do with kernels, before we get yet another swathe of bold text in reply). It seems this Duarte guy's pretty good!

Having said that, I think Palm/HP are moving too slow to allow someone like that to really provide all that much further input to the OS. Google's moving at a fast pace and isn't scared to change the UI frequently. Palm and webOS is stagnating a bit and the UI is barely being improved as we go on, slowly. It feels like although he was instrumental in developing the UI of webOS to begin with, by the end he was probably a wasted talent. It's a shame Palm couldn't move fast enough to allow faster development of the UI and the OS in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    webos is linux and I care
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Why?
    thats a joke to steven homie be easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Why?
    Because there has never been, nor will there ever be an OS that can do anything useful that is not 100% pure Linux. When Joe Smith walks into a carrier, his first question is "Does this run 100% pure Linux?" Bonus points if the device was developed and sold by Linus himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    matias is a really cool guy (just watched the engadget interview) and an awesomely talented designer at that. however, it's going to take some time to fix up the overall bland looks of android. i am unsure whether its possible to make it much prettier but only time will tell. though given android's success its probably safe to say that no one is buying it on looks alone.. (they're buying it since its the only thing being pushed to them , unless you're AT&T).
    Sorry, but not true. AT&T, for example, offers EVERY mobile OS including WebOS, WP7, iOS, Android, and Blackberry. The second-best top selling AT&T phone on Amazon is the Samsung Captivate. It's only beaten by the older, free Blackberry Bold. Not even the Blackberry Torch, Pre Plus, or ANY WP7 phones sells as much. Yet, they're almost all cheaper and most of them are newer. (Of course, iPhone isn't sold there, so....)

And AT&T has the biggest demographic of smartphone users of any US carrier. Yet they choose Android despite lots of newer, cheaper options.

Android's success is that it's the only modern, mature (both in terms of the OS and the app catalog) touch-oriented OS available everywhere for every price in almost every form factor. It's only as bland as you want it to be.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Based on what Matais said in his CES interview with Joshua Topolsky, he has been at Google long enough to have a minor impact on Gingerbread and a more significant impact on Honeycomb. He basically said he got in on Honeycomb as it was kicking off.

Quote Originally Posted by protofa
    best thing about webos is its ui. its too bad palm lost Matais Duarte. no loyalty in the business world. blows
    I hear you. You think a company as big and powerful as folks here at PreCentral claim HP is could provide enough stimulation and artistic freedom to keep a talent like Duarte interested in staying. I suspect the opposite was true: HP, being the big, stilted, bureaucratic beast that it is had no interest in an out-of-the-box thinker like Duarte ... but Google sure did.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Based on what Matais said in his CES interview with Joshua Topolsky, he has been at Google long enough to have a minor impact on Gingerbread and a more significant impact on Honeycomb. He basically said he got in on Honeycomb as it was kicking off.

I hear you. You think a company as big and powerful as folks here at PreCentral claim HP is could provide enough stimulation and artistic freedom to keep a talent like Duarte interested in staying. I suspect the opposite was true: HP, being the big, stilted, bureaucratic beast that it is had no interest in an out-of-the-box thinker like Duarte ... but Google sure did.
    i hope you're wrong but the laws of upper management decree that you are indeed in the affiramative
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    seems like what he said is that instead of holding down the home button to see icons, it's gonna be tap a soft button to see cards, similar to hovering over icons in windows. At least it's not a blatant copy as what blackbery is doing
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    Loyalty? The guy has worked on many projects.
    Even before WebOS.

The man left because he didn't like what he felt HP was going to do with WebOS and he wanted to have a bigger impact in the world.

I would say that Android has allowed him to show us how really talented his ideas are.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 01/10/2011 at 06:08 AM.
    And to be honest, the biggest amount of work on the WebOS UI is done. He's laid down the ground work. Don't look at it as being a loyalty issue. It's like a record producer. Is Daniel Lanois disloyal for working with Brian Eno AND U2? That's ridiculous.

The challenge for Matias will be that with WebOS he was there at the beginning. He SHOULD have been there for the creation of Android, but he wasn't. As he said in the interview, there are things that he can't do. The changes are incremental.

What Android needs is to start from the ground up with their UI. Matias will help, but the change will be galacial and fragmented. Five years from now Android will reflect his influence. WebOS does today. And can only get better.
    Yeah, one of the good things about Android is that there is a fair amount of separation between the UI and the processes. This allows a UI overhaul to be less challenging than some of the other platforms.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast