Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Hey guys, I first want to start off by saying how much I love my Pre. My friends are all tired of hearing about it, and, even after a year with it, they still call me a "Walking advert for that phone." However, I fear I may be growing out of it.

The hardware is a bit (a lot) dated. Mine is wearing out, and I'm not sure Sprint will have any replacements left if/when it breaks. I would LOVE an autofocus camera, front facing camera, faster processor, expandable/more memory, or a 3.5"-4" screen (AMOLED would be nice.)

Also, the lack of developer interest is killing me. I know there's homebrew, and that's filling in a lot of the gaps. There's still no Shazam. I'd really like to see Hulu+ or NetFlix available. I may not need an Office Suite, but I'd like to have one around for casual use, or the few times I do need it. Most importantly, my bank, USAA, has a great feature where I can deposit a check into my account from an Android device or iPhone (You've seen the Chase commercials where they've copied us), and every time I ask around there seems to be no interest in making it, or any app at all, available on webOS. I hate having to borrow other's phones to get money into my account. And of course there's things like Google Goggles, voice commands, and proper updates to the few major name apps that we do have.

I have decided that I can most definitely survive at least one year without webOS. Long enough for the apps to happen. None of the announcements at CES so far have been for Sprint, nor do they have a release window I see myself waiting through. I need a keyboard, and every manufacturer out there has completely missed just how important those are to the average consumer:
    "At least 54 percent of Android traffic came from devices with a QWERTY keyboard..."
    Nothing other than dual core or 1.2GHz has blown my mind, and those don't have keyboards or Sprint.

I have been making regular visits to the Sprint stores around me, and every time I go the Epic looks better. The only Reason I haven't jumped yet is because of the awkward timing with all the devices announced at CES, HP's event in February, and MWC not too far away. The things on webOS I can't live without, like universal search and multitasking, have equal counterparts on Android that are sufficient for me. The Epic has everything I want: keyboard, camera(s), speed, and storage; bonus: Flash. So really, it seems as though that's a device I could survive the year with.

My big question is this: Would now be a good time to make the switch? Do any of you guys think that the hardware will get that much better, or that the apps will start flying in within the next 12 months? Is there a superdevice that also meets all of my needs coming out in, say, August, after my contract runs out?
    Last edited by kaznai; 01/09/2011 at 05:02 AM.
    Your question has been posted by a lot of people and the suggestion by most would be the same... I'd suggest you hang around until you see what HP announces at their Feb 9 event. They could have some incredible hardware being announced there. If not.. they go whichever direction makes you happiest.
    HP is making an announcement soon, maybe you should wait and see what it is.

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I think you'd be crazy to switch right now. So much new stuff just announced, and HP is making a webOS announcement on Feb 9th.

If I were you, I'd hold on until you know for sure what Palm handsets your carrier is going to have and when. Even if that isn't fully announced until June, it's probably worth the wait.

That said, If you must buy a phone because yours is failing or doesn't meet your true needs, then grab a new phone tomorrow.

I've certainly had to do that, and then pay full price when something better came along. It's just harder to do that when switching platforms. You may switch anyway, but it seems like the safest route is to wait until the roadmap for 2011 has been revealed.
    The grass always looks greener on the other side. I can't even recall how many times I wanted to get a new phone, and then regretted doing so because it didn't have certain features I loved about my old phone. Just food for thought.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    This post could have been writen by me...I am a di-hard palm loyalist and went from a centro to the 1st gen palm Pre....A very cool phone for sure until everyone else got the palm pre PLUS....I kinda feel robbed as kaznai does with little support & slow hardware....If it weren't for the patches and underground community I would have chucked it a year ago. My 13 year old son has the EVO4G and it blows mine away in performance. The only thing keeping me going is the 4x4 icons a cool theme (IPHONE black launcher and an 800Mhz kernel hack. Anyway...Ive had my nose in the android forums for a month getting exited about the EVO shift as I also am clammering for a bigger screen and a large keyboard. The EPIC looks really nice but $250...Ouch OH and the Epic hasn't had the Froyo update and looks like it may be month before it gets it.
    So I went in to get the Shift today at best buy ...and once I held it in my hand I could tell it felt like a piece of crap. The slider was tight and flt toy like....and the chrome around it looks dumb//// ANY who..here I sit with my 2 year old palm,,,I absolutely love the multitasking......but since my whole family is on sprint (Family plan) and has multiple years until there contracts are up...Im stuck....cuz Sprint has dumped Palm as a result of their dismal pre sales and crappy hardware.....Sprint wont even talk to palm until they come up with a 4G device. So I too will wait until the magical HPalm "event to see if they have an Epic 4G with WEBOS2.0 on it...THAT! would be the holy grail of phones......Thanks for listening to my rant.
    WireGuy
    I would say wait but not because of HP's "announcement" [I'm sorry but while a lot of you have been waiting and waiting many, like me, moved on and had a great year with the Evo. I've never experienced a better phone. I can't justify waiting anymore it's just silly after 18 months.]

I would wait til February 9th not because HP is "announcing" something but because all the great phones that have been announced at CES won't even be out for a while.

If HP actually announces something worth staying for...maybe you consider it...otherwise the phones that have been announced will start rolling out soon there after...
    Simple solution. Wait another week and then go pick up the Epic. That way your 30-day window goes past Feb 9th and you'll have a few days left in your trial period to take it back if HP announces something that catches your eye.
    wait till 2/9
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Simple solution. Wait another week and then go pick up the Epic. That way your 30-day window goes past Feb 9th and you'll have a few days left in your trial period to take it back if HP announces something that catches your eye.
    That is actually one scenario I am really considering. I'm just not sure I'd be able to get the ol' Pre back. I'm not sure they'll hold onto it "just in case", and I have doubts that they'll have one to give me if I do switch back. I can't imagine HP would release the new hardware that soon. Also, the hardware really is only half of the equation; the apps are a big part of it too. It'll take a while before more people start putting effort into my favourite OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaznai View Post
    That is actually one scenario I am really considering. I'm just not sure I'd be able to get the ol' Pre back. I'm not sure they'll hold onto it "just in case", and I have doubts that they'll have one to give me if I do switch back. I can't imagine HP would release the new hardware that soon. Also, the hardware really is only half of the equation; the apps are a big part of it too. It'll take a while before more people start putting effort into my favourite OS.

See as you even admit, no matter what the announcement on February 9th, it may take up to 6 months before anything actually gets into motion. [or longer]

And that's completely separate from the app issue.

I really don't recommend sitting on your hands any longer for the sake of WebOS. Do it for yourself.

Also, I would go with the Evo Shift if you're gonna do that route.
    Updated hardware and a hardware keyboard.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wireguy View Post
    ...So I went in to get the Shift today at best buy ...and once I held it in my hand I could tell it felt like a piece of crap. The slider was tight and flt toy like....and the chrome around it looks dumb//// ANY who..here I sit with my 2 year old palm...
    I know exactly what you're saying. The guys at the Sprint store called me when they got the Shift (2 days early, I could have had it) because they knew I was interested. I took a look at it and fully agree with your opinion. I like the size, but the feel and the price are what talked me out of it. I'm not too big on SenseUI either, mostly because I haven't gotten to play around with it enough, to be honest. They revealed to me that the price of the Epic would drop once the Shift officially released, and it would only be $30 more. That's way too close in price between a device with an AMOLED screen and a front facing camera, and a midrange phone that only comes in blue (and, frankly, aint all that pretty in the first place).

...Im stuck....cuz Sprint has dumped Palm as a result of their dismal pre sales and crappy hardware.....Sprint wont even talk to palm until they come up with a 4G device...
    This, I had not heard. Did I miss something? I would love to know more about this, because I would hate to extend my contract only to find that I will have to wait that much longer to switch carriers for the phone I really want.

...So I too will wait until the magical HPalm "event to see if they have an Epic 4G with WEBOS2.0 on it...THAT! would be the holy grail of phones...
    Seconded.
    Although, I do rather like portrait keyboards. Call me crazy.
    ...Im stuck....cuz Sprint has dumped Palm as a result of their dismal pre sales and crappy hardware.....Sprint wont even talk to palm until they come up with a 4G device.

This, I had not heard. Did I miss something? I would love to know more about this, because I would hate to extend my contract only to find that I will have to wait that much longer to switch carriers for the phone I really want.
    What he is saying is really not true, at all.

The Pre had good sales, especially at first. In fact, the Pre release was the biggest release for Sprint ever until, of course, the Evo came along.

Sprint dropped the Palm because the Pre was a disaster when it comes to hardware quality, thats the truth.

People also have to stop this "it doesn't have 4g, that's why" bs.

Sprint has released plenty of phones since the Evo/Epic that are NOT 4g. [Android phones, Blackberry phones]
    The 4g excuse holds no actual merit in reality.

Also, with all due respect for the comments about the "cheapness" of the Evo Shift... uh... that's hard to make with the issues the Palm Pre had.
    At least HTC is known for solid devices.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Coming from the Pre and switching to the Evo, there is very little I really miss, mostly due to hardware. One major thing is the universal search, which was extremely useful. outside of that, I pick up my Grand find out how much it was lacking, unless you had customized it with Prepare. I did love the OS and the ease of use and never thought I could get used to a soft keyboard, but transition has been easy, to say the least. Not saying anything new, but if they come our with some killer hardware I might take another look at it, but it would take a lot to make me come back...and I was one of their biggest fans for a long time. I would definitely plan your upgrade where you have about a week after all the new announcements are made and you're 30 days just so you have options, but unless something major comes out, you will not be disappointed with the Evo...and never thought I would be saying it.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    See as you even admit, no matter what the announcement on February 9th, it may take up to 6 months before anything actually gets into motion. [or longer]

And that's completely separate from the app issue.

I really don't recommend sitting on your hands any longer for the sake of WebOS. Do it for yourself...
    You seem to have a similar outlook to myself. I feel that, since I have the ability, why not treat myself to something more modern?

...Sprint dropped the Palm because the Pre was a disaster when it comes to hardware quality, thats the truth.

People also have to stop this "it doesn't have 4g, that's why" bs.

Sprint has released plenty of phones since the Evo/Epic that are NOT 4g. [Android phones, Blackberry phones]
    The 4g excuse holds no actual merit in reality.
    I should've seen this, of course. That does make sense, but did they drop the brand altogether, or just the current phones?

...with all due respect for the comments about the "cheapness" of the Evo Shift... uh... that's hard to make with the issues the Palm Pre had.
    At least HTC is known for solid devices.
    I'm not saying the phone is worse than the Pre, but if I'm going to upgrade it should be just that. An upgrade. I imagine if you handled the phone you'd understand. I just don't see living with it when I've already had to endure the Pre.
    PS-Your signature slays me. It proves some of my point. I like it.

Don't get me wrong guys. I have full intentions to come back. Especially considering that the platform will have gotten that much better, and "distance makes the heart grow fonder" and all that business. Like I said, it's come to a point when I've basically outgrown it.
    Last edited by kaznai; 01/09/2011 at 04:25 AM.
    You seem to have a similar outlook to myself. I feel that, since I have the ability, why not treat myself to something more modern?
    Some would say my views are "extremely negative" and "aggressive" but I would argue that they are a direct response to some of what goes on in these forums. Like my signature. Is it being aggressive? Maybe. But I think that these non-sense claims that you always see about the Android market [and Android in general] on here are just as "aggressive". Anyway...

I should've seen this, of course. That does make sense, but did they drop the brand altogether, or just the current phones?
    I think they are holding out to see what HP is gonna do with it. There are rumors of some serious WebOS devices coming out via Sprint but rumors are easily started.
    I don't think that Sprint is in the position to, nor stupid enough to, completely exclude any brand.

I just think they know what the Pre was like and really wanna see improvements in build quality before signing on again.

I'm not saying the phone is worse than the Pre, but if I'm going to upgrade it should be just that. An upgrade. I imagine if you handled the phone you'd understand. I just don't see being able to live with it when I've already had to endure the Pre.
    PS-Your signature slays me. It proves some of my point. I like it.

Don't get me wrong guys, I have full intentions to come back, especially considering that the platform will have gotten that much better, and "distance makes the heart grow fonder" and all that business. Like I said, it's come to a point when I've basically outgrown it.
    I think it's important to understand that numbers are irrelevant here.
    People look at the Evo Shift and see "800mhz" and think that it is less powerful than say the Evo.

That is complete and utter crap.

What do you think is faster? The Pentium 4s that ran at 3.06 ghz or the quad-cores that exist today that run around 2.5 ghz [say i7 cores]?
    Clock speed is completely irrelevant.

As far as the "build quality" I would suggest getting insurance with the phone, as I always would, and my guess is you will have a pretty uneventful time when it comes to hardware issues.

To reply to your final comment...
    Please remember that HP/WebOS is not yours.
    You don't make a profit when it sells.
    Your name is not in the credits.
    They are here to "serve you" so to speak.
    If one company doesn't serve you to the fullest ability that another company can then the only person you're selling short is yourself for not joining what that other company is doing.

Take that how you want to.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 01/09/2011 at 04:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    Coming from the Pre and switching to the Evo, there is very little I really miss, mostly due to hardware. One major thing is the universal search, which was extremely useful. outside of that, I pick up my Grand find out how much it was lacking, unless you had customized it with Prepare. I did love the OS and the ease of use and never thought I could get used to a soft keyboard, but transition has been easy, to say the least. Not saying anything new, but if they come our with some killer hardware I might take another look at it, but it would take a lot to make me come back...and I was one of their biggest fans for a long time. I would definitely plan your upgrade where you have about a week after all the new announcements are made and you're 30 days just so you have options, but unless something major comes out, you will not be disappointed with the Evo...and never thought I would be saying it.
    Yeah, Preware is what's kept me going this long, and universal search is my favourite feature. The search key on Android devices seems to have the bulk of what I use right there, but I'd like to see you expand on that. Just so I could see what all about it I'd be missing. It's nice to see a well supported view from the other side, and hear some things about making the bigger jump to the EVO. I notice that you too agree with the prospective timing. It's getting harder not to jump, and I really hate to admit that.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Some would say my views are "extremely negative" and "aggressive" but I would argue that they are a direct response to some of what goes on in these forums. Like my signature. Is it being aggressive? Maybe. But I think that these non-sense claims that you always see about the Android market [and Android in general] on here are just as "aggressive"...
    Not at all. I see you're just being honest and fair. You don't seem to be badmouthing Palm, or singing particular praise toward Google.

I think they are holding out to see what HP is gonna do with it. There are rumors of some serious WebOS devices coming out via Sprint but rumors are easily started.
    I don't think that Sprint is in the position to, nor stupid enough to, completely exclude any brand.
    I just think they know what the Pre was like and really wanna see improvements in build quality before signing on again.
    Yeah, I don't even pay attention to the rumours any more. It seems they always end in disappointment. You are very right about Sprint. I should have seen that. I doubt any company is that dumb. I am on my 5th or 6th Pre at this point, and I know I'm not the only one. I don't imagine they'd be all that happy with the way hardware turned out.

I think it's important to understand that numbers are irrelevant here.
    People look at the Evo Shift and see "800mhz" and think that it is less powerful than say the Evo.

That is complete and utter crap.

What do you think is faster? The Pentium 4s that ran at 3.06 ghz or the quad-cores that exist today that run around 2.5 ghz [say i7 cores]?
    Clock speed is completely irrelevant.

As far as the "build quality" I would suggest getting insurance with the phone, as I always would, and my guess is you will have a pretty uneventful time when it comes to hardware issues.
    I know it's not going to be noticeably slower than the big EVO, and that doesn't bother me all that much anyway. I know clock speeds only carry so much weight. Like I said, it's very close in price to it's big brothers that also bring additional features to the table. I'm not so much concerned with build quality as build choice. It doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart by any means. The slider is just very firm, and all hands. It's not smooth and springy like the others. Insurance is a given anyway.

To reply to your final comment...
    If one company doesn't serve you to the fullest ability that another company can then the only person you're selling short is yourself for not joining what that other company is doing.

Take that how you want to.
    I know what you're saying, and I do admit that it is a bit goofy that people, including myself, stick that closely with a brand like that. However, with a community like this one, and the brand's mutual affection to said community, it's hard not to be loyal. I'll take that as still leaving me on the fence. Even as you say, it's really all about me.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    If apps are the issue then you need to switch. When palm releases a phone it has to prove it can sell before anyone will make apps for it. Being a supporter is one thing but being realistic IS another and palm has major work ahead of them to gain consumer confidence.

I bought my phone the evo off the street new for 300, works fine, clean esn and all I would suggest saving the upgrade and taking my route and if palm has a strong 2011 and apps begin to come then going back to WebOS.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Like I said, it's come to a point when I've basically outgrown it.
    If one company doesn't serve you to the fullest ability that another company can then the only person you're selling short is yourself...
    Spot on. Never change your needs to meet a company. A company should provide products that meet your needs. If your current company does not do that, it's time to move on. I just don't understand this waiting in vain game at all. I've actually seen comments where people are suffering with one device out of some strange sense of loyalty.

My rule is simple: give me what I want for my money or I don't give you my money.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast