Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I'm in group 2. I'm still using my Sprint Pre (replaced once) but I'm growing more and more frustrated by its lagginess, and the lack of apps. If either one of those improves enough, I'll probably stay. I doubt there's much hope in the "apps" department, but if a Pre 2 for Sprint (or equivalent) is available soon enough, I'll probably stick with the Pre. If not, I will probably pick up an Android. I hope I can get a decent piece of hardware that _doesn't_ run G4, because I don't want my monthly bill to go up again. Email is plenty fast with what I've got, and the web is fast enough for the price.
    Well, if HPalm announces high powered webOS phone for Sprint, I think there is VERY LITTLE chance that it will NOT have 4G. Sprint seems to be making that a requirement for power users now.

I guess for me the way I look at it, whatever HPalm announces in a month most likely will not hit the street until Q2 or maybe even Q3 and there still won't be a large app environment to support it. So, I am leaning strongly to moving to Android for a year (still don't know which device) and then re-evaluating webOS and see if they are "up-to-snuff" then.

I personally think there are a lot of people like this, moving to Android because the short term prospects of webOS powered devices is not grand. This is a huge problem for HPalm as those users that fall into this category would have been a huge boost to maintaining the userbase. Unfortunately what it means to HPalm is that they are starting in the hole and have to attract an entirely new set of users. Unless they have 20K apps by the end of the year they will struggle trying to convert people from existing smartphones, or attract people from feature phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by arc918 View Post
    I've never homebrewed or overclocked or kernaled - so maybe that's part of my problem.
    It isn't.
    The problem is that you have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Well, if HPalm announces high powered webOS phone for Sprint, I think there is VERY LITTLE chance that it will NOT have 4G. Sprint seems to be making that a requirement for power users now..
    Where does this come from?
    Seriously.

Every mobile carrier is moving to "4g" [none of it is actual 4g so quotes].
    Why? Because technology progresses!

Much like you don't run Pentium processors anymore and you don't have dial-up in your home.

It's not just Sprint.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    What is the tipping point that will keep you on webOS?

It seems like people here on P|C fall into three categories: 1) Those that are dyed in the wool webOSers and will not change for anything, 2) Those that are on the fence, and 3) Those that have already switched away from webOS.

I am most interested in hearing from the second group above. We know HPalm is going to announce new hardware (both phone and tablet), webOS 2.0, and maybe even some apps. But is new hardware alone going to be enough to keep you on webOS?...knowing that the App Catalog is not going to grow by huge orders of magnitude to equal Android Market or iPhone's App Store within the near future, it must have to be the OS or the hardware that will keep you. So, what is your tipping point?
    I hate to admit it, but it is the apps. I know I have survived this long without them, but I'm getting bored of the ones I do have available. I don't play games on my phone all that much, I don't Twitter, and I have never even had the urge to look at a soundboard for my phone. Not saying that there aren't other apps out there, just not a high enough percentage of ones that I can see myself using every day.
    I'm not asking for much, I don't need an iPhone sized app store, with one app per human on the planet. Just a few of the important ones would be nice. We don't Google services like Goggles, (official)GMail, or Buzz; and our Google Maps is desperately oudated. We have yet to get a real office suite. No Shazam. No Bump. There are only two banks that have apps on webOS, and, though they are two of the biggest, they don't cover everyone. We still don't have official Facebook, Twitter, Digg, PSN, XBox Live, Netflix, Hulu, or any TV network apps. Not that I don't trust or like third party devs, but they can only do so much with what APIs allow.

The hardware is a big issue, yes. My phone shouldn't lag when I'm only using one app, or even just navigating the launcher. It sad that the software is so far ahead, and the hardware is farther behind. Expandable memory should be a given in this day and age. The screen doesn't need to be Dell Streak huge, but 3.6" is at least sufficient. Even the Pre2 doesn't really cut it as a flagship device.
    However, it doesn't matter if HPalm comes out with some superphone when you have nothing to use it for. Why have a giant, high-resolution screen without a way to stream HD content on it? Why have a dual-core processor with no power-hungry games to play? You and a friend could fight about who has the best phone, and you could totally stomp them in the hardware department, but it won't matter to them when you are forced to answer "Yeah, but can it do this?" with a "No."

The OS is one of the things that's kept me using webOS this long. I honestly don't want them to mess with it too much, as I like it plenty as is. I mean, it could stand a makeover. I've seen a lot of people talk about how good webOS looks, and have never agreed. I know I'm not the only one who didn't like the looks when I picked it up. There's no (or a very poorly chosen) colour scheme, flat grey menus, and I have always disliked the round corners. I get so jealous when I pick up an iPhone or Android handset, and find myself just staring at the glossy interface, the flashy transitions, and the uniform icons for even third party apps.
    Sure, webOS 2.0 brings Just Type and Exhibition Mode (I leave out Stacks because I don't really think it's that big of a deal), and those sound great; bring 'em on! Sometimes the OS just isn't enough though. Most of what people use their phones for is only handled by the OS, not a part of the OS itself.

The community is a big part of keeping me around too. It's amazing that there are people so devoted to the platform, that those people are so nice and helpful, and that we all share this one thing in common that keeps us so closely knit. It's even more amazing that the manufacture shares this affection, and returns it right back to us. They give us freedom, tip their hats at us, and keep us in the know on things that other companies would just ignore altogether.

Another thing I wanted to bring up was that I want to be sure HPalm is going to be a key player. A fear I had in my mind during the entire time before the buyout was that I was going to lose support. Now that, even after the buyout, things are so quiet, the fear is back. I don't want to be the forgotten phone forever. I hate reading articles that have a line akin to "...people with a smartphone, such as an iPhone, Blackberry, or Droid, can use the advanced capabilities to..." That makes me feel like if I was to get in a conversation about phones and brought up Palm/webOS I would get a "What?" or an "Uh... Some featurephone?" Mindshare is a big deal when it comes to getting respect. You want to have a handset that others can appreciate. You want to know that enough people are talking about your phone to keep the manufacturer's interest in supporting it.
    [sidenote: Does hearing an Android handset get referred to as a 'Droid' make anyone else want to scream? if I was the big G I'd be bustin' some heads at VZW or Moto'.]

*catches breath*

With all of that being said, it's really a lot of things that are pushing me the other way for now. The reasons I want to stay, though few, are very powerful in their own right. Although, my reasons to leave are many. Like I had said before it's more like I'm outgrowing the platform. There's only so much a person can do without before walking away. It's going to take HPalm a lot of work to gain the kind of interest that's going to allow them to catch up to the pack. I can't wait to see where they go "in the coming months", but, unfortunately, I'm going to have to watch from the sidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Much like you don't run Pentium processors anymore and you don't have dial-up in your home.
    I've never been forced to upgrade my home internet service in order to get a new PC. I really resent that I am likely to have to choose between a lousy handset and an over-priced service plan. 4G isn't even available yet in most of the places I will be, but I will have to pay for it if I foolishly buy a new phone.

Sigh.
    I've never been forced to upgrade my home internet service in order to get a new PC. I really resent that I am likely to have to choose between a lousy handset and an over-priced service plan. 4G isn't even available yet in most of the places I will be, but I will have to pay for it if I foolishly buy a new phone.

Sigh.
    4G is not available in my home area either but Sprint is correct that my EVO always averages at least 6 times the MB per month as my Pre, even in my best months.

Sprint says that an EVO or Epic user will average 5 to 10 times the bandwidth as a Low Def phone. From everyone I know that is the case. Websites are so much easier to read that there is rarely a need to use a mobile version. No more panning back and forth.

But a real website with all the graphics is a lot more content. Even if you go to exactly the same sites, screens, photos, and maps are 480x800 instead of 320x480, with nearly 3 times the resolution.

There is no point in trying to watch a movie on a Low Def phone but they are stunning on an Epic or EVO.

I am no defender of Sprint but they have always said that the $10 per month is for unlimited data for a high capacity phone. That is why Clear only gets a few dollars out of the $10, not the entire $10.

Have you checked to see how much unlimited data is on Verizon or AT&T? What would a 2GB plan cost? For an iPhone, you pay a month charge extra for the iPhone and then still more for more data.

Even with unlimited data, Sprint is far cheaper than the rest.

Are you not getting your 5% to 27% Spint EVP Discount. Even a credit union member gets a 10% EVP, more than $10.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/13/2011 at 10:03 AM.

Sigh.
    Before AT&T 3G came to my area i was paying the same price for Edge. Would it make you feel better if all sprint customers were paying the 4G charge? It wouldn't change anything for you. Sprint was just too obvious about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    4G is not available in my home area either but Sprint is correct that my EVO always averages at least 6 times the MB per month as my Pre, even in my best months.
    Ouch! I hope not, I am already using about a gig a month. I think that's mostly email, though, as I don't browse the web or view you tube all that much, but I am a very heavy email user. So I don't think my usage would increase as much as yours. At least, I certainly hope not!

I am no defender of Sprint but they have always said that the $10 per month is for unlimited data for a high capacity phone. That is why Clear only gets a few dollars out of the $10, not the entire $10.
    fair enough

Have you checked to see how much unlimited data is on Verizon or AT&T? What would a 2GB plan cost? For an iPhone, you pay a month charge extra for the iPhone and then still more for more data.

Even with unlimited data, Sprint is far cheaper than the rest.
    yes, that is why I have decided to stick with Sprint. Even with the higher prices for 4G, they are clearly the value-leader for people with an appetite for data.

Are you not getting your 5% to 27% Spint EVP Discount. Even a credit union member gets a 10% EVP, more than $10.
    Thanks.
    I am not. I tried following that link, but after futzing around I found a website that says "under construction, call this number." So I called the number, and was told that if I wasn't buying new service, I had to look at another webiste (spring.com/discount). That website offers me a form to fill out to APPLY for a discount, but doesn't tell me whether I am eligible, and it looks like it would lock me into another 2 years just to apply. I think I want to save that "lock into 2 years" thing to apply towards the purchase of a new phone. I will ask internally, but I think my employer only has a deal with Verizon.

(but how is 10% of $70 more than $10?)
    I have a problem I really like the HTC EVO but I've had my Palm Pre for awhile and it's been rooted and jail broke so I'm kinda attached to it but I don't if I should make the switch or not. Can anyone help me on what I should do?
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    What's there to convince someone not to switch? It has great apps? Nope. Great hardware? Nope. Those that are left hanging on to Palm are missing out on a lot if you ask me.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234