Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 69
  1. kaznai's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    Again, like was said earlier, would you rather have a 3.8GHz Pentium 4 EE or a 3.06GHz i7 950? From the reading I've done on the Android forums, the Shift's processor at 800MHz is still faster than an Evo at 1GHz.

    Evo has a larger screen, front facing camera, and HDMI out. Shift has a physical keyboard, better battery life, and higher pixel density.

    I'm not trying to talk you into any particular device, I'm just saying completely ignore the clock speed because it's not relevant to this discussion. You're comparing the Evo / Shift / Epic, compare on features, not clock speed.
    I totally understand. I heard that too. I'm just going to quit mentioning the processor altogether because I could honestly care less, as long as it's faster (in real use) than the one I'm dealing with now.
    I am doing just as you say, and comparing the features. I like having the high pixel density; screen size isn't as important to me as clarity. I looked at the Shift first because of that. However, I decided that it lacked some of the features that I may as well treat myself to. Since the option of having a front facing camera is there, and for not much more cash, why not go for it? Why not get the AMOLED?
    That's why I'm really only looking at the Epic at this point. It's got the goods, a gorgeous display, looks loads better than the Shift even tried to, and, of course, the keyboard; which the EVO (lower case? Rather than 'Shift'?) does not have.
  2. #42  
    Samsung is notorious for being very, very slow with software updates, which isn't a big deal if you're comfortable rooting. Just something to consider.
  3. kaznai's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    Samsung is notorious for being very, very slow with software updates, which isn't a big deal if you're comfortable rooting. Just something to consider.
    Thank you, this is something I had not heard. I will most likely root it anyway, but it is helpful to know that if I don't want to risk it, I'll be stuck with the same version for a while.
  4. #44  
    The Moment is still running 2.1 AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $and$ $it$ $took$ $ages$ $for$ $even$ $that$ $to$ $get$ $released$.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    The Moment is still running 2.1 AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $and$ $it$ $took$ $ages$ $for$ $even$ $that$ $to$ $get$ $released$.
    It's true, and they're slow on the Epic too, but custom ROMs offer way more than any stock ROM. The best Froyo ROMs on XDA right now have the Gingerbread (faster) file system, the Gingerbread keyboard, battery mods and other things that the Sprint's stock Froyo is not going to have whenever it hits.

    It's no more difficult than homebrew. Putting on Clockwork Recovery is about as hard as putting on Preware. Once you have each one on, it's super simple to add new kernels, overclock, add non-official features, etc.
  6. #46  
    At least Samsung got upgrades out, although they may not be the best. The Galaxy S upgrade is buggy and that's likely why it couldn't be released here yet. Our carriers hate returns. The Moment had the same problem mid range Motorola phones do(meh specs) and that's likely why the upgrade was late. 1.5 to 2.1 is a big upgrade, so say developers in the know. BUT...

    Don't use Motorola, ever. Unless you're on Verizon, the only carrier they service in a timely manner. They burned too many other customers on other carriers with slow incompetent upgrades or none. That's right, none for international customers. They blamed it on carrier unwillingness to pay for upgrades. Which is likely true due to their horribly incompetent upgrade process at home. I wouldn't pay for that either! At this point, I'd actually rather use Samsung.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. kaznai's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...custom ROMs offer way more than any stock ROM. The best Froyo ROMs on XDA right now have the Gingerbread (faster) file system, the Gingerbread keyboard, battery mods and other things that the Sprint's stock Froyo is not going to have whenever it hits.

    It's no more difficult than homebrew. Putting on Clockwork Recovery is about as hard as putting on Preware. Once you have each one on, it's super simple to add new kernels, overclock, add non-official features, etc.
    Now I'm getting excited. I was hoping it would be that easy, and it sounds like playing with ROMs would be a lot of fun. I'm not as worried about updates any more. Is there a way to get a full Gingerbread ROM, and upgrade without having to wait for the manufacturer or carrier?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    At least Samsung got upgrades out, although they may not be the best. The Galaxy S upgrade is buggy and that's likely why it couldn't be released here yet. Our carriers hate returns. The Moment had the same problem mid range Motorola phones do(meh specs) and that's likely why the upgrade was late. 1.5 to 2.1 is a big upgrade, so say developers in the know. BUT...

    Don't use Motorola, ever. Unless you're on Verizon, the only carrier they service in a timely manner. They burned too many other customers on other carriers with slow incompetent upgrades or none. That's right, none for international customers. They blamed it on carrier unwillingness to pay for upgrades. Which is likely true due to their horribly incompetent upgrade process at home. I wouldn't pay for that either! At this point, I'd actually rather use Samsung.
    I am against Motorolas already for reasons other than this, but this definitely adds to it.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaznai View Post
    Now I'm getting excited. I was hoping it would be that easy, and it sounds like playing with ROMs would be a lot of fun. I'm not as worried about updates any more. Is there a way to get a full Gingerbread ROM, and upgrade without having to wait for the manufacturer or carrier?
    When Google gets a stable release out for other devices besides the Nexus S. If few manufacturers are even announcing devices running Gingerbread and/or using its features (e.g. NFC), you know it's still not ready for primetime quite yet.
  9. kaznai's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #49  
    Good to know, good to know. I haven't kept up to date on Android, obviously. I hadn't heard much about Gingerbread. I'd much rather have a finished product then a port of a beta.
    Last edited by kaznai; 01/09/2011 at 09:40 PM.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaznai View Post
    Now I'm getting excited. I was hoping it would be that easy, and it sounds like playing with ROMs would be a lot of fun. I'm not as worried about updates any more. Is there a way to get a full Gingerbread ROM, and upgrade without having to wait for the manufacturer or carrier?
    Absolutely.

    CyanogenMod Forum


    Cyanogen mod is an AOSP [Android Open Source Project] based ROM.

    Basically they take the source code for Android [like the manufacturers do] and build their own ROM off of it.
    That means no Sense [HTC], or Touchwhiz [Samsung].

    It's pretty much just straight source code Android with modifications for the overall improvement of Android.

    CM version 7 is the gingerbread version.
    It's still a work in progress but on it's way.
  11. kaznai's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #51  
    That sounds like exactly what I want. Just a good, clean, stable, efficient, unified option. It's a shame there's nothing for the Epic yet. Hopefully there are some ROMs of equivalent awesomeness for it. If not, I don't mind waiting, I suppose. It'll take me a minute to get comfortable enough with the phone to start messing with it. So long as it doesn't take too long, that is.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaznai View Post
    It's a shame there's nothing for the Epic yet.
    Actually, there is:

    CyanogenMod 6.2 for Epic Nighty & Support IRC - xda-developers


    And other ROMs are of course available for the Epic too:

    Samsung Galaxy S/SPH-D700 - XDA-Developers
  13. kaznai's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #53  
    Yeah. I was actually just looking at that. There's a lot going on with this whole Android business. I gotta stop looking at this stuff, it's making me crazy to spend!
  14. #54  
    I've got the Evo, but so far, I like how much I can customize without rooting.

    Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  15. #55  
    I was going to start my own thread, but realize this is perhaps the best place to put this question...

    What is the tipping point that will keep you on webOS?

    It seems like people here on P|C fall into three categories: 1) Those that are dyed in the wool webOSers and will not change for anything, 2) Those that are on the fence, and 3) Those that have already switched away from webOS.

    I am most interested in hearing from the second group above. We know HPalm is going to announce new hardware (both phone and tablet), webOS 2.0, and maybe even some apps. But is new hardware alone going to be enough to keep you on webOS?

    They could announce a 2 Ghz dual core phone with a GB RAM, but if there is not a large number of apps, or it costs $399, etc. may make you question sticking it out with webOS.

    As I sit here and type I can't make up my mind what to do. On the one hand webOS is great at multitasking, notifications, etc., but when I look at the two Android phones in my family (an EVO and an Epic), I really see that I am missing apps that I could use on a daily basis.

    So, knowing that the App Catalog is not going to grow by huge orders of magnitude to equal Android Market or iPhone's App Store within the near future, it must have to be the OS or the hardware that will keep you. So, what is your tipping point?
  16. #56  
    I dunno, Mikey. It doesn't seem like much of a choice when your options are buying a phone that does everything you want versus buying a phone that you have to hope will eventually do most of the things you want.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    What is the tipping point that will keep you on webOS?

    It seems like people here on P|C fall into three categories: 1) Those that are dyed in the wool webOSers and will not change for anything, 2) Those that are on the fence, and 3) Those that have already switched away from webOS.
    I'm in group 2. I'm still using my Sprint Pre (replaced once) but I'm growing more and more frustrated by its lagginess, and the lack of apps. If either one of those improves enough, I'll probably stay. I doubt there's much hope in the "apps" department, but if a Pre 2 for Sprint (or equivalent) is available soon enough, I'll probably stick with the Pre. If not, I will probably pick up an Android. I hope I can get a decent piece of hardware that _doesn't_ run G4, because I don't want my monthly bill to go up again. Email is plenty fast with what I've got, and the web is fast enough for the price.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I hope I can get a decent piece of hardware that _doesn't_ run G4, because I don't want my monthly bill to go up again.
    You don't want to run a Mac from your phone? j/k, I figured you meant 4G.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I was going to start my own thread, but realize this is perhaps the best place to put this question...

    What is the tipping point that will keep you on webOS?

    It seems like people here on P|C fall into three categories: 1) Those that are dyed in the wool webOSers and will not change for anything, 2) Those that are on the fence, and 3) Those that have already switched away from webOS.
    I'm trying to figure out what to do. My Pre has a great OS, trapped inside a crappy hardware and even worse apps. We have three users (soon to be 4), so changing carries isn't likely.

    I've never homebrewed or overclocked or kernaled - so maybe that's part of my problem.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by arc918 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what to do. My Pre has a great OS, trapped inside a crappy hardware and even worse apps. We have three users (soon to be 4), so changing carries isn't likely.

    I've never homebrewed or overclocked or kernaled - so maybe that's part of my problem.
    I never would have survived this long (got my Pre minus in Sept of '09) without homebrew, patches and overclocking. Honestly without that, I would have gladly paid the price of a new device with no upgrade discount.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions