Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaznai View Post
    Yeah, Preware is what's kept me going this long, and universal search is my favourite feature. The search key on Android devices seems to have the bulk of what I use right there, but I'd like to see you expand on that. Just so I could see what all about it I'd be missing.
    Universal search on Android is much better than what you find on webOS. You can configure it to include as much or as little as you want. It's also context sensitive. I liked Universal Search on the Pre. I REALLY like it on my Evo.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by wireguy View Post
    ...The only thing keeping me going is the 4x4 icons a cool theme (IPHONE black launcher and an 800Mhz kernel hack....
    Thanks for the shout-out.

    I am the developer of the iPhone Black Launcher.

    I have my EVO set up very similar to my Pre. Here is my main screen:


    Android has the basic PalmOS features from 2003 that webOS is missing, like Folders. The last two rows of icons are really just links to my Tools, Settings, Media, Multimedia, and other folders. Each folder can hold 4x5 icons so I am never more that three taps away from any app: Home > {Folder} > {App}. That's 160 apps. When I tap Media, my Media folder pops up:


    The Android FolderOrganizer app lets you have 4x4, 4x6, 5x6, or 5x7 icons per screen. You can have 7 homescreens organized like this:


    You can overclock the EVO to 1.2 GHz and up but there is no reason.

    See the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/09/2011 at 01:15 PM.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Universal search on Android is much better than what you find on webOS. You can configure it to include as much or as little as you want. It's also context sensitive. I liked Universal Search on the Pre. I REALLY like it on my Evo.
    Here are the screenshots and details on Android "Just Type" and how you choose what will be included:
    Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Here are the screenshots and details on Android "Just Type" and how you choose what will be included:
    Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions
    I knew I saw some of your screenshots on this but could not find them. Pictures really do speak a thousand words.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Simple solution. Wait another week and then go pick up the Epic. That way your 30-day window goes past Feb 9th and you'll have a few days left in your trial period to take it back if HP announces something that catches your eye.
    this to me is your best option, do this one I agree. Or try that new best buy buy back program that seems good as well.
  6. #26  
    Unless money is burning a hole in your pocket I'd wait and see what the CES phone announcements do in the next couple of months to the prices of devices you seem to be in the market for. Either you'll get a cool new phone or a better deal on an old one.

    Palm / HP seems far fetched due to the time horizon for all of your wanted changes (apps, new hardware that is not the Pre2 etc.)
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaznai View Post
    That is actually one scenario I am really considering. I'm just not sure I'd be able to get the ol' Pre back. I'm not sure they'll hold onto it "just in case", and I have doubts that they'll have one to give me if I do switch back. I can't imagine HP would release the new hardware that soon. Also, the hardware really is only half of the equation; the apps are a big part of it too. It'll take a while before more people start putting effort into my favourite OS.
    what do you mean get the ol Pre back? you're not trading it in, you're just getting a new phone. unless i'm misinterpreting.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Universal search on Android is much better than what you find on webOS. You can configure it to include as much or as little as you want. It's also context sensitive. I liked Universal Search on the Pre. I REALLY like it on my Evo.
    um, when 'Just Type' comes out on webOS 2.0, chances are you will able to customize the options. Do you think HP assumes that everyone will want a Facebook option front and center..?
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    what do you mean get the ol Pre back? you're not trading it in, you're just getting a new phone. unless i'm misinterpreting.
    Ummm...yeah, what he^^ said. You don't have to give them your old phone, to get a new one.

    Hell, I've never handed over one of my old ones. I keep them for spares for me or my son.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    um, when 'Just Type' comes out on webOS 2.0, chances are you will able to customize the options. Do you think HP assumes that everyone will want a Facebook option front and center..?
    Can you explain this reply? I really have no idea how it relates to my post that was quoted here? Facebook?
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Can you explain this reply? I really have no idea how it relates to my post that was quoted here? Facebook?
    i was referring to how you said you can 'configure it to include as much or as little as you want'. i took that to mean that you can customize which options are given whenever you start typing, no? one such option being the ability to update Facebook through 'Just Type'. i'm sure webOS 2.0 will have the ability to customize whether you want Facebook, Gmail, etc etc to pop up as options for 'Just Type'.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    i was referring to how you said you can 'configure it to include as much or as little as you want'. i took that to mean that you can customize which options are given whenever you start typing, no? one such option being the ability to update Facebook through 'Just Type'. i'm sure webOS 2.0 will have the ability to customize whether you want Facebook, Gmail, etc etc to pop up as options for 'Just Type'.
    Ah, ok. I really was lost there for a moment. I'm sure "Just Type" will get better. My comment was about the difference between the current implementations on both webOS and Android. They'll both likely get better. The customizations that I was referring to on the Android side are covered in Milo's post here: Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions
  13. kaznai's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Universal search on Android is much better than what you find on webOS. You can configure it to include as much or as little as you want. It's also context sensitive. I liked Universal Search on the Pre. I REALLY like it on my Evo.
    Yeah, that's what I noticed. It's the one feature in webOS that I honestly don't think I could live without. Hearing this, I'm actually looking forward to see what I've been missing. I'm really liking what they've done with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I have my EVO set up very similar to my Pre...
    Android has the basic PalmOS features from 2003 that webOS is missing, like Folders... so I am never more that three taps away from any app: Home > {Folder} > {App}. That's 160 apps...
    The Android FolderOrganizer app lets you have 4x4, 4x6, 5x6, or 5x7 icons per screen. You can have 7 homescreens organized like...

    You can overclock the EVO to 1.2 GHz and up but there is no reason.

    See the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android...
    ---
    Here are the screenshots and details on Android "Just Type" and how you choose what will be included:
    Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions
    That is all very helpful. I am really glad you showed me this. Now when I do make the switch I'll have resources that I will need. Those are all very convincing apps worth making the switch for, and seeing all of what they've implemented into the search function really makes me want to give this a try.

    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    this to me is your best option, do this one I agree. Or try that new best buy buy back program that seems good as well.
    I had heard something about that Best Buy thing. Any chance someone out there has a link with some more info?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Unless money is burning a hole in your pocket I'd wait and see what the CES phone announcements do in the next couple of months to the prices of devices you seem to be in the market for. Either you'll get a cool new phone or a better deal on an old one.

    Palm / HP seems far fetched due to the time horizon for all of your wanted changes (apps, new hardware that is not the Pre2 etc.)
    Yeah, I'm pretty much convinced that there is no more waiting on this with the same phone I've had for a year that's already so far behind everything else out there. It's gonna take some time to get the ball rolling, and I'm really not willing to go without for much longer. Some things have actually just come up, financially, that make this weekend a bad time to drop the change for the Epic anyway. So, depending on what I can find out about options on returns and whatnot, I'm going to be picking up something next weekend. It's not so much that I'm itching to spend it, but I'm really getting bored with my phone. Not to mention that I've got new gadget fever (the holidays didn't pan out the way I had hoped).


    One question that is still in my head is whether or not there's been any major device announcements that might be worth waiting later in the year for.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaznai View Post
    One question that is still in my head is whether or not there's been any major device announcements that might be worth waiting later in the year for.
    You'll have to determine for yourself if they are worth waiting for, but there have been a boat load of devices announced at CES. Most worthwhile ones are Android-based. I'll find one of Milo's links that show a long list of devices and update this post.

    Update: 43 New Phones and Tablets Announced So Far In January 2011
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaznai View Post
    One question that is still in my head is whether or not there's been any major device announcements that might be worth waiting later in the year for.
    Apple always announces new iPhones in June.

    And the trend we've seen with Android is new phones can be announced at any time.

    Oh yeah, Microsoft has a major Windows Phone 7 update slated for the Juneish time frame which, I'd imagine, would probably bring about a new round of hardware too.
  16. kaznai's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    what do you mean get the ol Pre back? you're not trading it in, you're just getting a new phone. unless i'm misinterpreting.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Ummm...yeah, what he^^ said. You don't have to give them your old phone, to get a new one...
    This is my first phone on contract, and therefore my first upgrade. I wasn't sure whether or not they'd let me keep it. I'm glad I know that I can keep it, now. I wouldn't just take it back if I wanted it back (I hate to admit that I don't see that happening), but more as an "undo" of sorts. To get back to where I was in case I want a different upgrade.

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    i was referring to how you said you can 'configure it to include as much or as little as you want'. i took that to mean that you can customize which options are given whenever you start typing, no? one such option being the ability to update Facebook through 'Just Type'. i'm sure webOS 2.0 will have the ability to customize whether you want Facebook, Gmail, etc etc to pop up as options for 'Just Type'.
    I understood what you meant, and I like where they're going with 'Just Type'. I just don't see that being enough to wait for.

    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    ...My comment was about the difference between the current implementations on both webOS and Android. They'll both likely get better. The customizations that I was referring to on the Android side are covered in Milo's post here: Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions
    Again, good to get this information. Thank you very much.
  17. kaznai's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    You'll have to determine for yourself if they are worth waiting for, but there have been a boat load of devices announced at CES. Most worthwhile ones are Android-based. I'll find one of Milo's links that show a long list of devices and update this post.

    Update: 43 New Phones and Tablets Announced So Far In January 2011
    Thank you! I've been looking everywhere for a full list. I just wish They had any word from carriers besides Big Red.

    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Apple always announces new iPhones in June.
    Yuck...

    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    And the trend we've seen with Android is new phones can be announced at any time.

    Oh yeah, Microsoft has a major Windows Phone 7 update slated for the Juneish time frame which, I'd imagine, would probably bring about a new round of hardware too.
    That is true about new Android handsets. They seem to just fly out of the woodworks. Nonstop. It is a little hard to predict what will happen next.
    As for Windows Phone, they haven't convinced me to even take a second look yet. Granted, there's a pretty device or two, but none worth going with their OS at this stage. From what I've heard about the update, it still doesn't seem to be bringing enough to the table for me.
  18. #38  
    Also keep in mind on the Shift that once rooted you can overclock it to 1.7GHz range. Not that you would, but as someone mentioned earlier, it's a faster processor than the Evo and has a higher overclock potential too.

    I'm eligible for an upgrade at the end of February so I may pick up a Shift at that point if the HP announcement doesn't wow me enough.
  19. kaznai's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    Also keep in mind on the Shift that once rooted you can overclock it to 1.7GHz range. Not that you would, but as someone mentioned earlier, it's a faster processor than the Evo and has a higher overclock potential too.

    I'm eligible for an upgrade at the end of February so I may pick up a Shift at that point if the HP announcement doesn't wow me enough.
    Haha, no. I wouldn't. Maybe once or twice for kicks and grins. I knew it used different architecture, and figured something like that would happen. There's a lot more to these things than just the numbers would suggest.

    Like I said earlier, at the price they're asking vs. the big guys, I don't see any reason not to spend a little more. Processor speed is one thing, and mHz of course doesn't count for all of it. But with a difference of only $30, why not get the other features that come with the bigger phones that also happen to have a higher clock speed?
  20. #40  
    Again, like was said earlier, would you rather have a 3.8GHz Pentium 4 EE or a 3.06GHz i7 950? From the reading I've done on the Android forums, the Shift's processor at 800MHz is still faster than an Evo at 1GHz.

    Evo has a larger screen, front facing camera, and HDMI out. Shift has a physical keyboard, better battery life, and higher pixel density.

    I'm not trying to talk you into any particular device, I'm just saying completely ignore the clock speed because it's not relevant to this discussion. If you're comparing the Evo / Shift / Epic, compare on features, not clock speed.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions