Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I consistently exceed 5gb on my data network.
    Just curious as how you're doing this. Tethering a lot? There's not really much streaming on webOS available.

I consider myself a heavy user but I usually go around 2gbs per month. And that's with apps like Netflix and other things like video chat.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Just curious as how you're doing this. Tethering a lot? There's not really much streaming on webOS available.

I consider myself a heavy user but I usually go around 2gbs per month. And that's with apps like Netflix and other things like video chat.
    I've never looked very closely at it.

I almost never tether. I do exchange a lot of emails, and pretty regulary stream Pandora music, and YouTube videos. But even my Pandora usage is below the "free" limit.

I also SSH into the phone a lot, and transfer files, but I don't think that's the major source either. I suspect it's streaming videos.
    Sprint will no longer be cheaper for many with the extra $10 they will be charging. It means an extra $40 for me. Thus not making Sprint cheaper for, infact it will no be more expensive, because all phone HAVE to have data with my family. Other carriers let you choose which phones have data. I may have to leave Sprint. My kids don't need data, they just got it because sprint was still cheaper. Not now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpagano View Post
    Other carriers let you choose which phones have data.
    Verizon required ALL Smartphones to have a $10 data plan.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If they'd bump their hard drive sizes to be competitive, they'd sell even more. They've still got 160 and 250GB at their prices, and Windows PC is now 640GB on some laptops in the same price range or less. Having to buy an external hard drive is an added cost not needed on the PC, unless it's for back-ups which you should do anyway. But you practically must buy one for Mac if you have lots of digital files. Or buy the $2500 model to get decent space.
    Or you can upgrade the hard drive yourself. I have an old Mac Powerbook, and I've upgraded the hard drive twice now. (also increase RAM and swapped out an ailing fan. The only one of those actions that required any dexterity or skill was the fan, hard drive and RAM were easy to replace.)

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, I think you're paying the extra $10 for the services they are providing.

When my local gas station went up to $3 a gallon on gas, I was still getting a gallon of gas, just paying more.
    That's what I think, too. As customers use more data, it's getting more expensive to keep your network big enough to satisfy them. In order to stay competitive at service, I think Sprint needs more cash. And their satisfaction ratings have gone up a lot in the past year or two, so they don't have to be all that much cheaper than the competition to look attractive. (Consumer Reports rated them on par with Verizon, and well above AT&T.) Since this increase leaves them cheaper than the competition for most customers, they don't expect a lot of people to bail because of it.

I'm definitely a price-shopper. Sprint is still the cheapest for me, for the bundle I want. AND they are better to do business with than Verizon. For instance, they don't lock down GPS and make you use their add-on service. They don't lock down ring-tones and make you pay extra from them. In general, they are just a friendlier and more open carrier.

I am not thrilled to be paying more, but I hope it helps Sprint stay competitive service-wise. I plan to stick with them despite the increase.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    If they'd bump their hard drive sizes to be competitive, they'd sell even more. They've still got 160 and 250GB at their prices, and Windows PC is now 640GB on some laptops in the same price range or less. Having to buy an external hard drive is an added cost not needed on the PC, unless it's for back-ups which you should do anyway. But you practically must buy one for Mac if you have lots of digital files. Or buy the $2500 model to get decent space.
    Storage is cheap. You could still buy a 160GB Mac and purchase a TB HDD for under a 100$, and come out alot cheaper than upgrading to a Mac with a bigger drive.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    I thought I've read before that any do-it-yourself on Macs violates the warranty.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I thought I've read before that any do-it-yourself on Macs violates the warranty.
    Dunno. I confess that I didn't feel a need to upgrade until the warranty had expired, so that wasn't an issue for me.

ifixit has excellent on-line instructions, by the way, with step-by-step photos and directions. I've had great luck finding their instructions (via google) for every modification I wanted to make
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Who needs a warranty.... Mac's don't break.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    That's why there's a Genius Bar where I've seen people with their MacBooks.

But seriously, I thought I've read that any of those upgrades had to be their "approved" parts and done by them, or they can refuse service. Perhaps I will call and ask them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I posted some of this in another of Pogey's threads but I think it applies here as well. There are factors at play here that seem trivial until you put them together.

At Consumer Electronics Show, all but one US Carrier showed consumer products: 13 for AT&T, 12 for Verizon, 7 for T-Mobile, and 5 for US Cellular. Deliveries are weeks or months out. Sprint had one new phone to announce, the EVO Shift. But everyone already knew everything about the shift and it was in stores during CES.

If you were HP and had the PalmPad shipping to US consumers in March and phones after that, you would be nuts not to show it at CES. Unless you were not going after the US consumer market...

If you were instead focusing on the ROW (Rest of World) market, you would announce at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona in February. Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, and Sony will all be at MWC with dozens more ROW Androids.

HP's focus is not going to be the US consumer market. Think SFR in France, Vodaphone, O2, etc. HP will have at least one US partner as well, but who? What about Sprint?

If Sprint wants to be HP's BFF, they are doing it wrong. Sprint just announced that they will have a huge new announcement on 2/7/11 to upstage HP on 2/9. If any part of Palm's plan included Sprint, Sprint would not be upstaging HP.

What does that leave?

On February 7th, Sprint will announce that the have the iPhone or some next gen Android.

On February 9th, HP will announce partners for the ROW markets and maybe Verizon or AT&T in the US.

The wedding on February 9th, won't be HP and Sprint. Whoever Sprint is eloping with, they are doing it on the 7th.

Sprint is not dying. They are just about to get married again.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/20/2011 at 12:13 AM.
  12.    #172  
    It depends on if Sprint announces plan changes.... that's not marriage, that's getting a better blow up doll.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

I streaming music from my house to my phone as I have over 8 gb of music and never sure what i want to listen to... I'm gone from the house anywhere from 10 hours to almost 16 hours a day

of course i'm on verizon
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I streaming music from my house to my phone as I have over 8 gb of music and never sure what i want to listen to... I'm gone from the house anywhere from 10 hours to almost 16 hours a day

of course i'm on verizon
    I am constantly streaming music from Rdio on my phone and I occasionally use Netflix and watch videos on my computer via AirVideo and I very rarely ever go over 1GB a month.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post

of course i'm on verizon
    Why not use some of the storage on your phone? This doesn't make sense to me if you said you had 1TB/200GB of music I could see streaming it but only over 8GB?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts

But sooner or later, something has to break and consumers will rebel. It's happened in many industries where prices have gotten too high.
    Yes, this Sprint announcement is starting to make me re-think my use of smartphones. I like having 4 Pre's in my family plan, but adding $40/mo - almost 25% of my current bill including taxes - is reason to re-evaluate things.

I don't see this as really fair either - the "soft cap", if it exists, means a single smartphone user pays $10/mo, and I pay $40/mo for the same data allocation. I'd rather pay per GB used for this than a flat fee that penalizes a family plan. (on average, we use about 2GB/mo for the 4 phones)

With wifi available in many locations, tablets or iPod Touch devices become usable for most of my needs, and feature phones work for the calling and texting needs. It's not nearly as convenient, but when you weigh convenience against cost there is a tipping point for each consumer.

So no, I won't leave Sprint - I agree with you that show it's a good deal still - but my reaction as a consumer is to consider moving away from data usage and smartphones and return to feature phones, and use my smart device in wifi mode.
    I was all about this $10 because I knew sprint had to do something about all these new data hogging superphones, and only charging on evo and epic made it look like a 4g tax, and prevented sprint from carrying any data hogging superphones that werent 4g. look at their lineup no 1ghz or up devices that don't have 4g.

however this 10 dollar charge should be only charged to those specific devices or at least people who use a lot of data.

they shouldnt make everyone else pay for increased data consumption of others, ecspecially when you have a very basic smartphones.

for example my 3 younger sisters have pixi, and are on a family plan with my mom, they dont use over 300MB of data ever. why should they pay $10 dollars extra, when they are already required to have an EverthingData plan.

Maybe tiered data is the way to go.
  18.    #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    I was all about this $10 because I knew sprint had to do something about all these new data hogging superphones, and only charging on evo and epic made it look like a 4g tax, and prevented sprint from carrying any data hogging superphones that werent 4g. look at their lineup no 1ghz or up devices that don't have 4g.

however this 10 dollar charge should be only charged to those specific devices or at least people who use a lot of data.

they shouldnt make everyone else pay for increased data consumption of others, ecspecially when you have a very basic smartphones.

for example my 3 younger sisters have pixi, and are on a family plan with my mom, they dont use over 300MB of data ever. why should they pay $10 dollars extra, when they are already required to have an EverthingData plan.

Maybe tiered data is the way to go.
    I agree... there needs to be a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I agree... there needs to be a better way.
    There is. Leave Sprint. Pay more.
  20.    #180  
    The my way or the highway stuff is a poor business model for consumers.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast