Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    Unlimited data on Sprint is not unlimited. There's a 5 gig soft cap. With the current $10 "4G tax", you actually get unlimited data. The same will be true of the this new fee as well. It still sucks but you still get something.
    Devils advocate here....

If I don't use 5gb or even 3gb per month, then I am paying 10 bucks for nothing.

Maybe they should provide a t-shirt.... I just paid my 10 dollar Sprint data surcharge and all I got was this t-shirt.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Devils advocate here....

If I don't use 5gb or even 3gb per month, then I am paying 10 bucks for nothing.

Maybe they should provide a t-shirt.... I just paid my 10 dollar Sprint data surcharge and all I got was this t-shirt.
    It could have been worse, Sprint could have kept the current 4G Tax and the next HP phone could have WiMax and you'd get bagged for the fee regardless of if your area had 4G or not.
    Devils advocate here....

Remember, the amount of data is the same for an action whether it is 3G or 4G. A movie or web page is the same size, it just arrives faster.

Since it arrives faster, you may well be consuming more of them because you use your computer less.

VZW hasn't announced pricing/plans for the iPhone, but you can bet it won't go anywhere but up... so Sprint will still be cheaper relative to VZW or AT&T. That's what your $10 is buying you.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I thought the 5GB cap on Sprint was only for devices such as aircards or mobile hotspots and doesnt apply to smartphone usage. I know I usually go over that streaming Hulu via MyTether.

Either way, purchasing any smartphone on Sprint now thats not 4G, just became down right silly
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    I'm definitely with Sprint for the service and price plan. Even with the $10 upcharge that I won't see until I activate another smart phone (which means I'll see the charge with the new Palm smartphone) Sprint still has the better bang for your buck. Also, it seems that Sprint is starting to shy away from smartphones that are NOT 4G. Eventually, most smartphones that have any worth (Android, WebOS, RIM, etc) will be 4G which will eventually negate all the hoopla of the $10 upcharge. I remember all the shouts and cries about the first 4G phones that will require a $10 upcharge for 4G service. Those initial cries are long forgotten.

Verizon will see their LTE Iphone sometime next year (obvious strategic plan by Apple to sell more phones similar to what they do with AT&T). Verizon has already changed their upgrade plans.

I'm still wondering what Sprint's big announcement will be next month? And on that note, it seems that more tech companies are starting to bypass CES as the years progress (Apple, Hp/Palm, Sprint, Google (excluding Android devices), etc). Trend or just current fad?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    The only problem is if rates go too high, if people can afford it, they may start looking at Verizon or AT&T and figure another $10 more won't matter to them. Some people go where the phones are, as you know.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #147  
    Eventually if you keep tacking on fees, the reason many stayed with you (price) will be gone.

That is true but we can always count on AT&T and Verizon to continue with their price hikes and their nickel and dime schemes which will negate leaving.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  9.    #149  
    Yeah, if these things are happening incrementally, then mabye. Could be new super awesome plans on Feb 7th.... who knows.

AT&T is losing it's incentive for price hikes. Although I guess they could try gouging people for their "4G" iPhone if it comes. Verizon never seems to stop though.

But sooner or later, something has to break and consumers will rebel. It's happened in many industries where prices have gotten too high.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11.    #151  
    It is interesting to look at Apple as the model. Their pricing has stayed the same for years, all the while adding features and functionality.

Maybe I am just jaded now.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    On one hand, you want to get a tablet with a separate data plan to increase your bill significantly each month (data you're already paying for with your "unlimited" phone bill, mind you)....

On the other hand, you bemoan a new surcharge added onto smartphone bills....

I don't think Sprint can do right by you, sir.
    correct, also Im sure sprint sold a good amount of overdrives to sprint, and non sprint customers who bought the wifi version of the ipad. Im sure it only helped their sales promoting it as such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
    I thought the 5GB cap on Sprint was only for devices such as aircards or mobile hotspots and doesnt apply to smartphone usage. I know I usually go over that streaming Hulu via MyTether.

Either way, purchasing any smartphone on Sprint now thats not 4G, just became down right silly
    It's a soft cap. It's a little clause they have about the unlimited service so they can call to harass you if you go over too often or slow down your bandwidth if they choose to do so.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    It is interesting to look at Apple as the model. Their pricing has stayed the same for years, all the while adding features and functionality.

Maybe I am just jaded now.
    Yea, Apple charged 3 times as much as a Windows based machine with the same processors and components, and they stuck with that. It is Intel and AMD who have kept their product price tiers steady.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    It's a soft cap. It's a little clause they have about the unlimited service so they can call to harass you if you go over too often or slow down your bandwidth if they choose to do so.
    I guess they just got tired of calling, and just upped the pricing... I guess it was bound to happen, but for up in cost, might as well wait for something 4G.

Dear Lord,
    Amen.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Yea, Apple charged 3 times as much as a Windows based machine with the same processors and components, and they stuck with that. It is Intel and AMD who have kept their product price tiers steady.
    They've introduced some new products that are less expensive to keep themselves competitive in Box stores. Like the MacBook Pro 13" for $1200. In the past you wouldnt be able to get into a MacBook Pro for under $1800.

Dear Lord,
    Amen.
    If they'd bump their hard drive sizes to be competitive, they'd sell even more. They've still got 160 and 250GB at their prices, and Windows PC is now 640GB on some laptops in the same price range or less. Having to buy an external hard drive is an added cost not needed on the PC, unless it's for back-ups which you should do anyway. But you practically must buy one for Mac if you have lots of digital files. Or buy the $2500 model to get decent space.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    Unlimited data on Sprint is not unlimited. There's a 5 gig soft cap. With the current $10 "4G tax", you actually get unlimited data. The same will be true of the this new fee as well. It still sucks but you still get something.
    I keep seeing people throw this out, but have yet to have someone show verification. Do you have it?

I consistently exceed 5gb on my data network. Further, I've talked to Sprint reps who have confirmed to me that the data cap is for the mifi devices, and for the addons for laptops that give Sprint connectivity, but they do not apply to phones that have unlimited data plans.

From their website (my emphasis added):
    Everything Data - with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM
    Introducing Any Mobile, Anytime, forget about restrictive calling circles. Our Everything Data plans give you unlimited data, messages and calls to any mobile, anytime while on the Sprint Network. Thatís access to over 250 million U.S. mobile phones nationwide. Take advantage of unlimited Nationwide messaging, Web surfing, and nights and weekends with nights starting at 7 p.m. Learn More about how our $69.99 plan compares to the competition.

This plan includes
    Any Mobile, Anytime: Unlimited domestic calls from the Sprint network to and from ANY U.S. mobile phone regardless of carrier. Any network, any time.
    Unlimited data on our network: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Sprint TV and Radio, NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
    Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video
    Talk: Night calling and weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges
    > Learn more about what's included in this plan
    I think they'd have some pretty severe contractual obligation issues to keep using the word "unlimited", then put a cap on it.
    Devils advocate here....

Actually, I think you're paying the extra $10 for the services they are providing.

When my local gas station went up to $3 a gallon on gas, I was still getting a gallon of gas, just paying more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Where is this clause? I've looked everywhere and am unable to find it, other than people on the internet saying that there's a cap.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast