Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Some people have to go with the company that provides better service where they use their phones the most, even of it costs more.

Posted from my eVo!
    Thats true in some cases. I also know people that swear Sprint does not work in their area, but when im there it is fine. Five years ago all they could get was Verizon, so they think thats the way it still is.
    Looking at Best Buy's mobile phone area, Spint's top phones of 2010 were not announced at CES 2010. They came later in the year.

Sprint has the smartphone that was rated as best of 2010 by many:

HTC - EVO 4G Mobile Phone - Black (Sprint)
    HTC - EVO 4G Mobile Phone - White (Sprint)

$199.99

Sprint has the keyboard version that came out yesterday:

New! HTC - EVO Shift 4G Mobile Phone (Sprint)

$149.99*

People argue that this Sprint phone is really the top smartphone of 2010:

Samsung - Epic 4G Mobile Phone (Sprint)

$199.99*

Sprint's new entry-point smartphone just came out at the end of 2010:

LG - Optimus S Mobile Phone - Charcoal (Sprint)
    LG - Optimus S Mobile Phone - Purple (Sprint)

$49.99*

But still I think that the Zio is a better entry-point phone:

Sanyo - Zio Mobile Phone - Black (Sprint)

$0.00*

And if you want a mid-range physical keyboard don't rule out the new Transform that came out in October:

Samsung - Transform Mobile Phone - Black (Sprint)

$79.99*

So Sprint rarely announces new phones at CES. They usually release them later in the year so that they have the top phones going into Christmas.

But the good thing about being on Sprint is that every year, you can shop for a new toy. With Sprint in 2009, I got the phone of the year, the Pre. In 2010, I got the phone of the year, the EVO.

I bet that this June I will get the next phone of the year. Go Sprint!

For everyone on Verizon who got a Droid X, Droid 2, Droid Global, Incredible, Fascinate, Ally, or anything else in 2010, there is no point in even torturing yourself with what came out at the 2011 CES.

You might as well go home until 2012...just in time for the Apocalypse.

If you are with Sprint you can be constantly getting new toys and so you might be constantly reading the forums. If you switch to Verizon now, you don't have to waste your time here again until 2013. Think of all the hours you will free up!

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/10/2011 at 01:01 PM.
  3.    #103  
    I usually go through 4 phones a year. Whatever is cool now, later, a little bit later, and the end of the year. I usually buy them outright, so I am not too concerned with upgrade policies. If you sell your phones online after two months, your out of pocket is usually minimal.

Anyway, if Sprint goes all out and announces something neat.... I will stay. If not, I will likely still stay, but give Verizon a good look.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

for the record ive been with sprint for 12 years (in between that through companies total AT&T 2 years, and Verizon 3 yrs) Ive lived in california, philadelphia, st louis, and florida and have had not only the best service so far with sprint, never dropped a call, and if ever I had a problem customer service always took care of it with no hassel. Ive had to replace phones months at a time and never paid for it under my total protection plan. Roadside assitance works very well, and fast. Not saying AT&T and VZ are not solid either, but my experiance with AT&T was not so good, more of a if you dont like it tough attitude, and misc charges that they didnt want to rectafy. In all that sprint has a cheaper price, and better spif programs (like anytime, any mobile). They are in the plus finally even though it took them sometime to do so, and alot better then #4 carrier Tmobile which looks to pull the plug on the US part of it every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I usually go through 4 phones a year. Whatever is cool now, later, a little bit later, and the end of the year. I usually buy them outright, so I am not too concerned with upgrade policies. If you sell your phones online after two months, your out of pocket is usually minimal.

Anyway, if Sprint goes all out and announces something neat.... I will stay. If not, I will likely still stay, but give Verizon a good look.
    Pogey,

At first I thought that you are the only person I have ever heard of who has had 4 new smartphones in a year. I was told by a Sprint regional manager that less than 1 in 10 are purchased off-contract. He said that many change yearly but the average for all users is "a couple of years."

Then it hit me. There are thousands on PreCentral who have now had at least 4 smartphones in one year. Including me!

I myself have had 4 smartphones in a year!
    June 2009 Pre
    August 2009 Pre replaced -slider reboot
    November 2009 Pre replaced -USB crack
    April 2010 Pre replaced -volume button

My daughter has had 3 Pre's in a year and the headset speaker is going out so she is about to hit 4! My wife's Pre starting doing the close reboot in June of 2009 and she would not get another so we will never know if she could have hit 4 in a year.

In the nearly 8 months since I got my EVO, there have been huge new apps or upgrades to apps every few days.

I can't think of anything that the new phones will do that the EVO cannot do. I don't even know of anything that the new phones can do faster. The EVO does everything lightning fast including opening Google Maps in a second.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/10/2011 at 01:36 PM.
  6.    #106  
    Yeah, I had the EVO for about 4 months then the Epic, then back to the EVO and now back to the Pre. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Then it hit me. There are thousands on PreCentral who have now had at least 4 smartphones in one year. Including me!

I myself have had 4 smartphones in a year!
    June 2009 Pre
    August 2009 Pre replaced -slider reboot
    November 2009 Pre replaced -USB crack
    April 2010 Pre replaced -volume button

My daughter has had 3 Pre's in a year and the headset speaker is going out so she is about to hit 4! My wife's Pre starting doing the close reboot in June of 2009 and she would not get another so we will never know if she could have hit 4 in a year.
    That is just so wrong. LOL I really didn't see that one coming at all. In that case, I'm also a multi-phone/year consumer. Too funny.
    Hold on, I've gotta grab some popcorn for this.

OK, that's better.

My understanding is that the EVO was (and still is) the best ever and the salvation for Sprint. I read that here every day. Like last year Sprint will follow up with another game changer by summer... But in the current climate, phone makers are now in the position to launch the same phone on different carriers by just giving it a new name and slightly different back cover. That's where printers and computers have been for years. You can't get a price match between Best Buy and Frys because they don't carry the exact same model #, even though the specs are virtually identical.

For me, the death of Sprint would be caused more by their WiMax decision that by what they do/don't announce at CES. Other than PC users, most of my friends in the tech world pay no attention to CES, and even less to an engineering show like CTIA...

I've been to practically all of these shows in my career, and they are like the academy awards. Industry and press talking to themselves. Customers are paying more attention to the display at the local verizon store and the Best Buy insert in the sunday paper.

CES and similar shows are important in that is is a chance to see cool TVs and provide buying/partnering opportunities for the following holiday shopping season, but it doesn't set industry direction. That's why they have it in January, so they have the rest of the year to ramp up for next Christmas. Nobody will go out of business between now and then. Just sayin.
  9.    #109  
    The EVO is a great phone, but stopping the bleeding is not the same as healing.

It can create an environment for healing, but what you do to follow up on your placement of the tourniquet is more important to long term wellbeing.

Sometimes it seems that Sprint applies the tournequet and then spits on the open wound.

I think the HTC Shift will actually fill a good spot for those who thought the Epic/Evo were too large. (half this forum) :P

Its a shame Google doesn't put their Nexus devices on CDMA.
    I usually go through 4 phones a year.
    one per season?

I usually keep the same phone until the carrier says it won't work on their network anymore.
  12.    #112  
    lol.... I actually have a phone that reached that status when I was with Verizon forever ago.

Startac.... No 911 support.

haha.. I actually have 2 Startac's sitting in my drawer yet with the home and car chargers. Those were great phones.
  14.    #114  
    I never had a single bad thing happen with that phone. It had the opportunity to go swimming and everything....

The EVO is a great phone, but stopping the bleeding is not the same as healing.

It can create an environment for healing, but what you do to follow up on your placement of the tourniquet is more important to long term wellbeing.

Sometimes it seems that Sprint applies the tournequet and then spits on the open wound.
    I guess it depends on how you define healing.

Is adding customers for the first time in years stopping the bleeding or healing?
    I would say it's healing.

Sprint will have a dual-core phone by summer, just like everyone else will.
    If you look at it from HP/Palm's perspective, Verizon is absolutely flooded with Androids. So is AT&T now. T-Mobile has a ton plus the flagship Nexus S.

If HP/Palm put a bunch of product on those shelves, would anyone notice?

Sprint only has 16 Android models right now. With so few Androids, Sprint is really the only US carrier for Palm to conisder. Feb 9 also puts Palm in before Sprint does the next round of Android phones.

Sprint bet it all at 2009 CES on Palm and they ended up with Palm's creapy vampire girl advertising and the phone that set the all-time return record at Best Buy.

Sprint gave up all claims to 2011 CES for Palm again this time. I hope that Palm has viable hardware and advertising.

This can be done.

Truly even two years ago Android was a laughable thought. And now Android has blown past a 40% market share in the US.

When I got my Treo 600, it was Palm who owned the smartphone market.
    Then it was BlackBerry who literally laughed at the new fruit phone...
    Then it was iPhone who could not be toppled...
    And now it is Android who will be king forever...

Anyone else seeing a trend here?

The smartphone market dates the next hot babe for a couple years and then dumps her.

If this were a movie the next babe in line would be first babe's younger sister.

So if the Treo had a younger sister about to have her débutante ball, who would that be? Think, think, think...

- Craig
    If you look at it from HP/Palm's perspective, Verizon is absolutely flooded with Androids. So is AT&T now. T-Mobile has a ton plus the flagship Nexus S.

If HP/Palm put a bunch of product on those shelves, would anyone notice?

Sprint only has 16 Android models right now. With so few Androids, Sprint is really the only US carrier for Palm to conisder. Feb 9 also puts Palm in before Sprint does the next round of Android phones.

Sprint bet it all at 2009 CES on Palm and they ended up with Palm's creapy vampire girl advertising and the phone that set the all-time return record at Best Buy.

Sprint gave up all claims to 2011 CES for Palm again this time. I hope that Palm has viable hardware and advertising.

This can be done.
    I'd hope that Sprint learned from their mistakes last time. As President Bush says: "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."
    Sprint suffers from poor branding. It just can't escape the years of being associated with radio shack. They're seen as cheap, low end phones, and poor customer service. A carrier that focuses on low credit customers (especially through its prepaid lines). Heck, even their 4G is seen as being inferior. While having a phone like the Evo was a shot in the arm, it's not nearly enough.

This image though is something HP should want to stay away from as they have similar problems now with the Palm brand.

But i could see things working out if they team up better this time. HP has to intend to be a rock star there and a true flagship. Sprint needs something unique and more than a few android devices.

What could Sprint do? Stressing quality in marketing and aiming for quality devices. But leave the messages about being cheaper at home. Assume people know this. Revamp the prices & plans to be more comparable to the big two so that the savings is more obvious while being smarter of charges like 4G which should be built in and not apparent. I doubt AT&T will have a HSPA+ 10 dollar charge for example.

Yeah yeah i know. But JMO. We're all quarterbacking here. And i do realize not all see a brand in the same way.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Ok just for all the folks who doubt that Sprint will be showing anything at CTIA click this link and take a really close look at who CTIA's Chairman is... Now try and tell me again that Sprint won't be showing anything there.

CTIA - The Wireless Association

There is a reason that they don't show Products at CES.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
    This is all hyperbole. Sprint is fine. Verizon is fine. There is no need to worry. Each company has its own strategy. Each have their good points, as well as their bad points.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast