Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Verizon certainly now has better phones, they used to be HORRIBLE in the past. But their policies are as annoying as AT&T's. It's really too bad CDMA phones are no longer flashed like they used to be, or ESNs accepted on other carriers. You could take a Verizon phone and "Sprint" it.

I believe only Cricket allows this now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the carrier-first approach. Perhaps it's because I don't talk on my mobile that much but the signal is the most generic thing about using a smartphone. I live in an urban area and probably couldn't tell what network I was talking on. The smartphone hardware and software seem to be so much more important.

I agree that Sprint has a problem - most of their loyal users are the price-sensitive ones. That's why I think they are so hot on 4G - so they can nudge that extra $10/month out of the cheapskates.
    The carrier first has to do with coverage and value for me and Sprint has worked everywhere I've been and I get 25% off. It fact i was at LAX and women kept moving her AT&T BB around trying to get service when I had four solid bars and even when I don't have bars I still have service. That same women told me that she just switched to Sprint and is waiting for her LG Optimus S to show up. It makes no sense to get a great phone if you have no service(Iphone?).

Sfm Evo
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I have to agree with oddlou... If I remember right sprint announces new phones in April (could be wrong).

I'm loyal to one thing when it comes to wireless service and that's my wallet and sprint prices plus discount = better pricing than the same services on Verizon.
    my 2 cents:

Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Agreed...but, CES is not really Sprint's thing. The Pre wasn't announced at CES and neither were the EVO or Epic. And the big boy phones on AT&T and Verizon aren't slated to be released until sometime later in the year, so Sprint has plenty of time to prepare what I think will be at least two big-time phones, one by Palm and the other by HTC, neither of which made much of an appearance during CES.
    The iPhone was not announced at CES and Apple has always had their own venue for hardware announcements. That said - Sprint has made some bad decisions in recent years. Utilizing WiMAX technology from Clearwire for 4G is the most notable. While the rest of the world moves toward LTE as their 4G technology of choice, Sprint clings to WiMAV. Sprint had a six month exclusive on the Palm Pre but failed to advertise and market the features of webOS or the Palm phones.

Verizon has not had a very good track record as far as Palm marketing goes either. Crippling the GPS, pushing the Droids over all other smartphones in their stores and advertising the Palm phones as phones for moms comes to mind. Verizon does have size and coverage advantage over the other carriers and does use it to push them into the market.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    The carrier first has to do with coverage and value for me and Sprint has worked everywhere I've been and I get 25% off. It fact i was at LAX and women kept moving her AT&T BB around trying to get service when I had four solid bars and even when I don't have bars I still have service. That same women told me that she just switched to Sprint and is waiting for her LG Optimus S to show up. It makes no sense to get a great phone if you have no service(Iphone?).

Sfm Evo
    They also improved their service in Chicago, it used to be spotty. And was one main reason I moved to AT&T at the time. At that time AT&T had clear service, where Sprint was staticky. Now I hear just fine and people seem to hear me fine.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    my 2 cents:

The iPhone was not announced at CES and Apple has always had their own venue for hardware announcements. That said - Sprint has made some bad decisions in recent years. Utilizing WiMAX technology from Clearwire for 4G is the most notable. While the rest of the world moves toward LTE as their 4G technology of choice, Sprint clings to WiMAV. Sprint had a six month exclusive on the Palm Pre but failed to advertise and market the features of webOS or the Palm phones.

Verizon has not had a very good track record as far as Palm marketing goes either. Crippling the GPS, pushing the Droids over all other smartphones in their stores and advertising the Palm phones as phones for moms comes to mind. Verizon does have size and coverage advantage over the other carriers and does use it to push them into the market.

That's something to think about. Are Evos and Epics going to still be supported should Sprint move to LTE? The 3G radio should still work though. But I did see some article that mentioned Sprint MAY consider LTE also.

Quote Originally Posted by romls View Post
    IMO, HPalm needs to align itself with someone besides Sprint (I know that isn't a popular sentiment here) because Sprint does not have the clout to make an exclusive launch a success.
    While I agree with that - I really want to see HPalm avoid an exclusive launch and just open the flood gates. What a joy it would be if one could separate the hardware decision from the "what price to do business with this carrier" decision.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    While I agree with that - I really want to see HPalm avoid an exclusive launch and just open the flood gates. What a joy it would be if one could separate the hardware decision from the "what price to do business with this carrier" decision.
    I agree. That would be great.
    I don't get this thread at all. Sprint announces their stuff at CTIA or MWC. They did it with the Evo and with the Instinct. The Pre was an exception because Palm needed the CES hype. Sprint is getting tablets from HTC and RIM. They will announce an Evo 2 soon. HP will sell something too. See what else comes at these two conferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't get this thread at all. Sprint announces their stuff at CTIA or MWC. They did it with the Evo and with the Instinct. The Pre was an exception because Palm needed the CES hype. Sprint is getting tablets from HTC and RIM. They will announce an Evo 2 soon. HP will sell something too. See what else comes at these two conferences.
    I hope you are right about Sprint and the Evo 2...I hope they don't pull a Palm. I checked the exhibitor list for Sprint at both Venues and Sprint is a no show for both CITA and MWC.

CITA: Exhibitor List

MWC: Exhibitor List I GSMA Mobile World Congress

Hopefully the manufactures have the own device announcements for Sprint.
  11.    #31  
    Yeah, but then I have to wait...... Quick, someone grab me a mini violin....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    This just in: VZW to buy Sprint and sell iPhone and iPad exclusively on the Sprint network. Film at 11.
    Oh yeah, Samsung did say they would have dual core 4g phones and tablets for all US carriers...so thats good news for Sprint and also news for everyone else but least you'll have a phone on your carrier of choice.

Samsung promises dual-core smartphones, new tablets for MWC 2011 -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    This just in: VZW to buy Sprint and sell iPhone and iPad exclusively on the Sprint network. Film at 11.
    Wouldn't bother me!

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    They r going with evo shift because evo was a success to them in 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Agreed...but, CES is not really Sprint's thing. The Pre wasn't announced at CES and neither were the EVO or Epic.
    um, the pre was announced at ces (2009), and, the evo was either announced at ces or mwc (2010), one of those two, idRecall
    I get way to good of a deal from Sprint to jump to Verizon. They are too rigid and expensive. Sprint might not have as many great phones, but I only need one phone to get me by. I hold value over the next coolest thing. I wish I could have both, but it rarely works that way. I like Sprint's service and prices. I am quite content.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    They r going with evo shift because evo was a success to them in 2010. um, the pre was announced at ces (2009), and, the evo was either announced at ces or mwc (2010), one of those two, idRecall
    it was not ces for the evo at the time it was known as the supersonic and was rumorware till about marchish
    Quote Originally Posted by romls View Post
    I think lack of hardware is part of it, but just a small part. I have always associated Sprint with horrible service. Maybe others do the same. Another part of the problem is every time Sprint comes out with something great (like the Pre or Wimax) other carriers announce they are going to have the same thing or something better. For instance, when Palm announced the Pre would be exclusive to Sprint, I seriously considered switching to Sprint, but as soon as Verizon announced they would carry the Pre I decided to wait.

IMO, HPalm needs to align itself with someone besides Sprint (I know that isn't a popular sentiment here) because Sprint does not have the clout to make an exclusive launch a success.
    sprint has recently won several awards for best customer service out of the carriers in 2010, bad customer service is no longer the norm with sprint.

Sprint
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I think Verizon is great. The only thing I don't like about them is how much they charge for service...

that little detail of "how much they charge" is a bigger issue for me than for you. I run 3 phones on an account, the differences over a year add up. So much so that the switch is not worth it at moment. Never say never though.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast