Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Well when people actually start using the data they're paying for, just like they did on AT&T, then Sprint likely will introduce tiers. But it's like these carriers are all blaming the customer for using data hungry phones and data that the carrier heavily sold to them. Euro carriers started doing this too. Imagine customers using what they have to pay for.

AT&T for the longest time forced unlimited plans even on people who didn't use them and this is Sprint's method of doing that. It'll bite them in the **** just like it did AT&T, when people actually use the unlimited. But probably just like AT&T they will just penalize the customer with inadequate tiers, eventually.

Since they seem to want to raise prices and gimp upgrades along with the 2 big guys, it's likely that eventually they're going to copy the other 2 on that also. Although Verizon still has sense enough to keep unlimited for the heavy users but their low tier is horribly small and overpriced. Same with AT&T, and only 2GB for $25, lol. I'm sure Sprint will keep the tiers a bit more generous, but I don't like where Sprint is possibly headed. These moves have turned them back into being like every other major carrier, except maybe T-Mobile. And it was T-Mobile's Euro parent that started ruining things with their customers.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    and when it comes to those who don't need unlimited everything, and are only casusal data users, especially on a family plan Sprint ends up being more expensive.....................
    Clearly, everyone needs to check their own useage against the prices offered by the various companies. I am a data hog, but barely use the phone as a phone. I do not have a family plan. Sprint is still the cheapest carrier for me.

I have also had two very bad experiences with Verizon as my home phone carrier and ISP. And I resent how they lock down simple functionality on smart phones to sell it back to you. Like navigation and ring tones. Maybe they've loosened up, I haven't checked recently. But I prefer not to send buisness their way unless I'm getting a lot more than I would from the competition.
  3.    #183  
    I use data, but I usually am in the 2gb-3gb range on the high end. Most of the time I am under 2gb. This is mainly due to having wifi wherever I go.

Tiered plans would work as long as there is a middle ground. I hate VZW's tiered plans. I think the majority of people live in the middle ground. My idea of tiered plans that are best for consumers -

Dumbphone - unlimted 10 bucks
    Smartphone - 200 mb 10 bucks
    - 2 gb 25 bucks
    - unlimited 35 bucks
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    but if you want to compare true absolute unlimited packages sprint is only $10 cheaper than verizon.

SPRINT
    unlimited calling and data and texting $99.99 + 10$ premium data =$109.99

VERIZON
    unlimited calling 69.99 + unlimited text $20+unlimited data $30 = $119.99

a saving of $10 wooooooooooooooooo.....lets not forget you get what you pay for......
    so paying $10 extra with Verizon you get a much much much bigger and better nationwide network, superior customer care, much better phone selection. I think that is quite worth it.

and when it comes to those who don't need unlimited everything, and are only casusal data users, especially on a family plan Sprint ends up being more expensive.....................
    But what about things like navigation that usually cost on Verizon (non-android users) and is free on Sprint? Isn't it something like $10/month on Verizon? So that brings the saving up to $20/month on Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Clearly, everyone needs to check their own useage against the prices offered by the various companies. I am a data hog, but barely use the phone as a phone. I do not have a family plan. Sprint is still the cheapest carrier for me.

I have also had two very bad experiences with Verizon as my home phone carrier and ISP. And I resent how they lock down simple functionality on smart phones to sell it back to you. Like navigation and ring tones. Maybe they've loosened up, I haven't checked recently. But I prefer not to send buisness their way unless I'm getting a lot more than I would from the competition.
    I am also an individual user and probably would be a data hog, if i had a nicer phone other than the pixi. I can't relate to your bad experiences with verizon, however even though verizon communications is one big company, i think verizon wireless operates independently from the landline/ISP verizon. That part of verizon has territorial monopoly, just like ATT's landline/ISP division. the wireless side has to deal with more compettion.

however as an individual who wants unlimited everything, and doesnt need real unlimited calling here are your options.

*both sprint and verizon charge $39.99 for talk only 450 min plans*

Sprint
    $69.99/mo 450 anytime min, unlimited anymobile, unlimited texting, unlimited data +$10 for smartphone premium data; grand total of =$79.99/mo

Verizon
    $39.99/mo 450 anytime min unlimited mobile2mobile + $20 unlimited texts + $30 unlimited data; grand total of =$89.99/mo.

Verizon is only $10 more per month...(given that Verizon nights and weekends start at 9 whereas sprint is at 7, and sprint gives you unlimited calling to all mobile phones, whereas Verizon gives you unlimited calling to Verizon mobile phones.)

however you get a much better and bigger nationwide network with Verizon, and much better customer care compared to sprint. And a much much much better phone selection.

So its really up to each person, on whats more important to them.
    $10 a month / $120 a year in savings. That works for me. Sprint has always treated me well. Their customer service is so much better that what it was several years ago and I've always had great network coverage in Texas from Sprint.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    On my 4-line fam plan with Sprint, we usually are in the 8-13K range just for any mobile/anytime minutes per month. So that unlimited any mobile translates into a huge cost savings for us (even if you calculate it using $0.01/minute).
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    But what about things like navigation that usually cost on Verizon (non-android users) and is free on Sprint? Isn't it something like $10/month on Verizon? So that brings the saving up to $20/month on Sprint?
    If you use navigation then yes the savings is more; however i dont like when people compare plans and add $10 too verizon plan for navigation regardless. for those that use navigation yes it is another advantage of sprint, however for those that don't like me, it really doesnt matter.
    On my 4-line fam plan with Sprint, we usually are in the 8-13K range just for any mobile/anytime minutes per month. So that unlimited any mobile translates into a huge cost savings for us (even if you calculate it using $0.01/minute).
    Also be careful how sprint calculates any mobile any time minutes. It should only be for non-sprint mobile devices called between 7am-7pm monday-friday...because otherwise it is night and weekend minutes, or just plain sprint mobile to mobile, which they always had.

last time i looked at my sprint bill, i think they where calculating all mobile calls into that number, however I am not 100% sure on that.
    Sprint wont be going anywhere.
    Also be careful how sprint calculates any mobile any time minutes. It should only be for non-sprint mobile devices called between 7am-7pm monday-friday...because otherwise it is night and weekend minutes, or just plain sprint mobile to mobile, which they always had.

last time i looked at my sprint bill, i think they where calculating all mobile calls into that number, however I am not 100% sure on that.
    I think they did away with mobile2mobile (phased it out shortly after introducing any mobile anytime. But yeah, I'm seeing huge numbers across "any mobile anytime" and "nights and weekends" when I analyze my plan. We make the vast majority of our calls during the day and this is reflected in the analysis as well sowing the biggest chunk as any mobile anytime.

Again, even at 1 cent/minute we are saving around $80/month just on any mobile any time calls. Sprint Nav gets used a lot on two of our lines so for us that's another $20/month saving over Verizon. We get some other discounts as well.

While everyone's mileage may vary, we are getting some really nice savings on our particular plan.
    I think they did away with mobile2mobile (phased it out shortly after introducing any mobile anytime. But yeah, I'm seeing huge numbers across "any mobile anytime" and "nights and weekends" when I analyze my plan. We make the vast majority of our calls during the day and this is reflected in the analysis as well sowing the biggest chunk as any mobile anytime.

Again, even at 1 cent/minute we are saving around $80/month just on any mobile any time calls. Sprint Nav gets used a lot on two of our lines so for us that's another $20/month saving over Verizon. We get some other discounts as well.

While everyone's mileage may vary, we are getting some really nice savings on our particular plan.
    Sprint still has mobile2mobile, because thats what everyone gets that is not on an EverythingData plan.....Anymobile/anytime was added for free to everyones plan who has a EverythingData plan. (I praised sprint when they did this a real game changer, and I hope for sprint's sake they will announce a another game changer feb. 7th.)

However yes in your case Sprint is the best deal, especially since you use so many minutes; so it all really depends on the individuals usage....I just don't agree with the notion that many think sprint is soooooo much cheaper regardless of one's usage and needs.
    If you use navigation then yes the savings is more; however i dont like when people compare plans and add $10 too verizon plan for navigation regardless. for those that use navigation yes it is another advantage of sprint, however for those that don't like me, it really doesnt matter.
    As I said, everyone needs to evaluate their own useage. I do use navigation. (Mostly through google maps rather than the sprint app, but I've used both.) So for me, Sprint it cheaper.

Although, I suppose I could give up on navigation and text messages. Could I really save $20/month on Verizon by not buying a text message package? I have gotten fewer than a dozen texts in my entire life, and don't see that increasing by an enormous margin. I could do pay-as-you go texts, or even lose that functionality completely. Something to consider.

. . . I can't relate to your bad experiences with verizon, however even though verizon communications is one big company, i think verizon wireless operates independently from the landline/ISP verizon. That part of verizon has territorial monopoly, just like ATT's landline/ISP division. the wireless side has to deal with more compettion. . .
    That's worth considering. I've gotten very good customer service from Sprint, and their coverage is fine most of the places I go, but there are a few places I hang out where Verizon has data service and Sprint doesn't. (since Sprint gives me free voice roaming on Verizon, I haven't paid attention to phone coverage.)

Well, I will be shopping in mid February. We'll see what's out there.
    Sprint still has mobile2mobile, because thats what everyone gets that is not on an EverythingData plan.....Anymobile/anytime was added for free to everyones plan who has a EverythingData plan.
    OK, I didn't realize it still existed. I know I had it for a long time, then Any Mobile Anytime got added and M2M faded away after a month or two. It's interesting that it's still there for other plans.

I agree with you that it was a very good move. We used to monitor our minutes closely before. Now I only do some analysis every now and then to make sure we're good. It turns out that we've always called mostly mobile numbers. The difference is now I make a little more effort to do that. For example, I tend to call colleges more on their mobile than their desk phone now. It used to be the mobile number was the backup. :-)
    I've gotten very good customer service from Sprint, and their coverage is fine most of the places I go, but there are a few places I hang out where Verizon has data service and Sprint doesn't. (since Sprint gives me free voice roaming on Verizon, I haven't paid attention to phone coverage.)
    Don't you get free "data" roaming on Verizon as well?
    Maybe they've loosened up,...
    They have.
    ...unless I'm getting a lot more than I would from the competition.
    You can.
    Don't you get free "data" roaming on Verizon as well?
    yes. Coverage is such that it's hard to find a place where I have to roam.
    We only get 1x roaming though. Not 3G (EVDO). That's something to consider.
    Sprint
    $69.99/mo 450 anytime min, unlimited anymobile, unlimited texting, unlimited data +$10 for smartphone premium data; grand total of =$79.99/mo
    Are you getting your Sprint EVP Discount?

Even if an individual is only a member of a credit union they get a 10% EVP discount. If you have your own business, EVP is typically 18% off. Employees of big companies get more like 20% to 28% off. Most students also can get over 15% EVP. Teachers, city, county, state and federal employees tend to get at least 20%.

So it is really more like $60 to $70 for almost everyone. Granted that is only $240- $360 a year less than Verizon but that is the cost of an annual upgrade...unless you have Verizon and you can't.

And with free mobile to mobile, I don't know anyone who calls landlines more than 450 minutes a month. I don't know anyone under 40 who's phones ever ring. You use a predictive keyboard or faster still, speech to text. Literally "text" as in text messaging.

If you have a family plan, Verizon and AT&T can be a $1000 extra a year.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/20/2011 at 03:45 PM.
    The phone rings for the under 40 crowd, when their parents call! Lol

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast