Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well... That was quick! lol

Mac App Store Cracked Open for Piracy

The Mac App Store's security has been cracked. This means that, by installing a software called Kickback, you will be able to pirate any applications in the store
    HAHAHA. Apple just cant win with hackers.
    You cannot hack apple apps, macs cannot get viruses (virie). It's a fact
  4.    #4  
    At least the hacker was kind enough to not release the Kickback application until February.

I'm just amazed that the Mac App Store was cracked so fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    Oh no?

Mac users warned of growing virus threat - Techworld.com
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I'm sure he was being sarcastic... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to need some documentation on that claim. Unlikely? Probably. Uncommon? Definitely. But impossible? Show me.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

He was being sarcastic guys come on. He was making fun of the fact that all ifanatics say they can't get hacked or get viruses on their Macs.
    My bad on the comment then. I took it the wrong way. You can never tell around here now a days. lol. I agree with monkeydog though. Its less likely, but not impossible.
  10.    #10  
    So... is this going to scare Developers away from putting their applications in to the Mac App Store?
    Nothing will scare developers away from making apps for such a big name.

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Nothing will scare developers away from making apps for such a big name.

Posted from my eVo!
    I'm not saying they'll stop making applications for Mac. I'm talking about having their applications listed in the Mac App Store lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'm not saying they'll stop making applications for Mac. I'm talking about having their applications listed in the Mac App Store lol
    Why would it? It's not any different from someone downloading an app directly from a developer or publisher and cracking it.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Why would it? It's not any different from someone downloading an app directly from a developer or publisher and cracking it.
    Yea, but this exploit makes it seem much easier to pirate an app.
    I dunno, I don't think this is any easier than hitting up a torrent site or anything.

The interesting thing is despite the widespread reports of how easy it is to pirate software from the Mac App Store, the developers of Pixelmator and TapeDeck both announced that their products are now exclusive to the Mac App Store. I don't know how I feel about that.
  16.    #16  
    I dunno, I don't think this is any easier than hitting up a torrent site or anything.

The interesting thing is despite the widespread reports of how easy it is to pirate software from the Mac App Store, the developers of Pixelmator and TapeDeck both announced that their products are now exclusive to the Mac App Store. I don't know how I feel about that.
    I'm not entirely sure how this new exploit works... The developer of it did say he won't be releasing the Kickback app until February though.

Here are some interesting quotes from the developer of the hack:
    “We don’t want to release kickback as soon as the [Mac App] Store gets released. I have a few reasons for that,” Dissident explains.

“Most of the applications that go on the Mac App Store [in the first instance] will be decent, they’ll be pretty good. Apple isn’t going to put crap on the App Store as soon as it gets released. It’ll probably take months for the App Store to actually have a bunch of crappy applications and when we feel that it has a lot of crap in it, we’ll probably release Kickback,” says Dissident.

“So we’re not going to release Kickback until well after the store’s been established, well after developers have gotten their applications up. We don’t want to devalue applications and frustrate developers.”
    Yeah, the Gizmodo article makes it sound more convoluted than it really is. You can pirate OS X apps by injecting your own receipt and signature from a legitimately downloaded app. Kickback sounds like it just automates the process.
    As has been pointed out (though I'm sure you're joking), Macs can (and do) get virii, it just isn't as common due to their lower marketshare. Oh, and it is virii
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Yeah, the Gizmodo article makes it sound more convoluted than it really is. You can pirate OS X apps by injecting your own receipt and signature from a legitimately downloaded app. Kickback sounds like it just automates the process.
    And even that only works on software that the developers poorly designed. It can easily be fixed in an update to the software (where it hardcodes the software info inside the app, as opposed to relying on the receipt file).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    >>He was making fun of the fact that all ifanatics say they can't get hacked or get viruses on their Macs.>>

You know I read this, often - its a meme the apple haters love to repeat over and over - 'd like a source - a link, anywhere to anyone credible who really says this.

Bubba who chews with his mouth open in his parent's basement doesn't count.

But are there any Apple evangelists, anywhere, who really say this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast