Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I decided I would give android a try while I wait for my replacement pre to come in the mail. I got am evo...brand new on wednesday. At first things were buttery smooth. But now not so much....

I keep getting an 'activity messaging' error when I try to open or send a text message. My 3g connection is terribly slow and inconsistent. Sometimes it takes 5-10 seconds for an app to launch.

Did I just get a dud? Or are these common issues?

Update: while trying to submit this, it froze, then displayed an 'activity internet error' ***!!!!!
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    I haven't had this problem with mine. Try a search on the message boards at *gasp* android central.
    That's what android central is for, this site is for help with pres and pixies. by the way, sound like your service, not your phone

Evo-lution
  4.    #4  
    I came here cause I know there are a lot of webs fans who got evos while they wait for new devices. I dont want to join another site because I won't be having this phone for more than a week.

I know what this site is for, i've been here for a while. But it isn't a stretch to think that people would know about other devices in the other devices section.

I don't think this is a service issue. That wouldn't explain the random freezing, app launch times, or all around lagginess.
    I think they were suggesting you do a quick search to see if something pops up over there. U don't need to join AC to do that. And many of the evo owners that are here haven't developed the deep knowledge of android that they have for webOS. Im sure if they knew the answer they would have posted it.

I'm a member of A|C and crackberry because I sometimes have to answer questions for friends/family. Posting questions over there means that many more eyeballs will see the question. I don't think they meant to sound negative.
  6.    #6  
    Maybe not, but I took the *gasp* as sarcasm. I'll look there...
    Did you leave lots of things running in the background? Have you rebooted?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Never had this issue.
    It could also be a rogue app taking up too much memory or causing a glitch. If reboot then perhaps a checking of your apps doesn't work, then maybe it is a lemon and needs to be exchanged.

I ran out of memory the other day due to leaving the phone on 24/7. Some apps may have started caching themselves in the memory or maybe it was a memory leak. I didn't get an activity error, everything would just back out and wouldn't even start. A reboot solved that problem. But I also have a low memory phone. The Evo should perform better even with more apps running, shouldn't it?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It could also be a rogue app taking up too much memory or causing a glitch. If reboot then perhaps a checking of your apps doesn't work, then maybe it is a lemon and needs to be exchanged.

I ran out of memory the other day due to leaving the phone on 24/7. Some apps may have started caching themselves in the memory or maybe it was a memory leak. I didn't get an activity error, everything would just back out and wouldn't even start. A reboot solved that problem. But I also have a low memory phone. The Evo should perform better even with more apps running, shouldn't it?
    I had been rebooting it more than once a day from the day I bought it. that seemed to do the trick for a while, but then everything would go haywire again after a few hours. i don't have very many apps installed. and i use an app killer to kill all apps whenever things get unbearable.

i'm pretty much certain its some kind of memory issue, but im puzzled because I haven't been using any hardcore apps, and I use the app killer fairly frequently....

even the HTC Sense skin was forced closed once,... forcing me to reboot...

the only apps i use really are Engadget, tweet deck, (i also have widgets for both) internet and messaging.

another problem i had been having is that the device would seem to forget the names of my contacts, and only display their numbers.

that along with another freeze me ****ed off about 3hrs ago so did another reset... haven't had a single issue since...

maybe its the app killer itself thats causing the issue. i use "advanced task killer free". what do you suggest?
    The app killer isn't needed and could be causing issues itself.

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Now, I'm on the computer, it's easier to explain more. The Android system will kill apps, as needed, when too many are running and/prprpr $the$ $memory$ $starts$ $to$ $get$ $full$.

Task killers actually screw things up and shouldn't be used.

There was a time when they were needed, but with the new updates, they no longer are.

Many people have experienced similar issues, there are posts on A/C about it and many were solved when they stopped using the task killers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    and i use an app killer to kill all apps whenever things get unbearable. ... i use "advanced task killer free". what do you suggest?
    THAT! I'd start by dumping that app. Don't use task killers.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    THAT! I'd start by dumping that app. Don't use task killers.
    Exactly!
    People keep saying that but guess what, I use System Panel Lite and it works fine. It shows what's running and what's cached, so you can decide what to shut down and the phone actually doesn't screw up because of it. Just do not shut down what are clearly system apps.

I stopped using ATK because I felt it wasn't working. And maybe the latest version is glitchy.

But them options can be done with out a app,in settings.I shut things down,clear caches,and see what is running all the time,with no app.

Evo-lution
    Yes, and it's proven that task killers cause a lot of problems, even if you aren't killing system apps.

Posted from my eVo!
    Not System Panel Lite from my experience. I had more problems with lock apps. Those caused glitches. I finally found one that does not screw up my phone.

19.    #19  
    i appreciate all the help. and yes, since i stopped using the task killer i haven't been having any problems. its a buttery smooth experience again... my replacement pre just came in the mail, now I dunno if i wanna activate it or not... hmmm
    I sometimes use OSMonitor to see what's there if I suspect an app has gone rouge. I just never use auto task killers, ever.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast