Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have already downloaded two apps, and am about to go in for more. Many will want to dismiss it, but this is a major step forward. It is not just that you can have a great app purchasing system without leaving your house. It's not just the one click purchasing system. When you click, the app automatically downloads and installs in seconds. No need to hunt for your new purchase; it shows up on the Dock automatically.

Once again, Apple cuts the path for others to follow. This is the new paradigm.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    When you click, the app automatically downloads and installs in seconds. No need to hunt for your new purchase; it shows up on the Dock automatically.

Once again, Apple cuts the path for others to follow.
    While the new mac app store is no doubt interesting, lets not give Apple TOO much credit here as always. The "App Store" methodology of getting programs on a desktop has been around for a long time on Ubuntu Linux, and many other platforms. You even get a good taste of it on Windows if you've ever played games on the Steam network.
    I have already downloaded two apps, and am about to go in for more. Many will want to dismiss it, but this is a major step forward. It is not just that you can have a great app purchasing system without leaving your house. It's not just the one click purchasing system. When you click, the app automatically downloads and installs in seconds. No need to hunt for your new purchase; it shows up on the Dock automatically.

Once again, Apple cuts the path for others to follow. This is the new paradigm.
    No. Not in the least.
    sq5 is completely correct
    So what apps did you buy?
    I know the Mac app store is cool, especially since I didn't think the Mac would be able to adopt the "applet" model on a platform that uses multi-function software rather than little bits of function... but the title of this thread reminded me of an article I saw on TheOnion, although I'm not sure why it reminded me... But I think it's just too funny not to share...

New Apple Friend Bar Gives Customers Someone To Talk At About Mac Products | The Onion - America's Finest News Source | Onion News Network

Whats the point of having apps on MAC...i can understand phone..but services provided on the MAC cant you just browse to the actual site or does it take 2 much time to do that?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    So what apps did you buy?
    EGChess, Twitter, (free) and Angry Birds. You haven't played AB until you've done it on 27" of porcine pounding glory.

As for the paradigm shift, I saw a lot of this same kind of dismissiveness with regard to the App Store. There were online app stores around, but nothing like what Apple did. The iPhone app store quite literally changed the way we think about phones. Today, a platform lives or dies based on it's app store. Clearly, Apple did something right.

The Mac App Store provides an experience that did not exist before. It will absolutely change the way software is made and distributed. Say goodbye to installation woes and 25 digit codes. MS is already working on an answer to the new store. Pretending it is nothing new will not change the impact it will have.
    EGChess, Twitter, (free) and Angry Birds. You haven't played AB until you've done it on 27" of porcine pounding glory.

As for the paradigm shift, I saw a lot of this same kind of dismissiveness with regard to the App Store. There were online app stores around, but nothing like what Apple did. The iPhone app store quite literally changed the way we think about phones. Today, a platform lives or dies based on it's app store. Clearly, Apple did something right.

The Mac App Store provides an experience that did not exist before. It will absolutely change the way software is made and distributed. Say goodbye to installation woes and 25 digit codes. MS is already working on an answer to the new store. Pretending it is nothing new will not change the impact it will have.
    This is exactly like Ubuntu and Jolicloud App stores. Just because they aren't the most popular mainstream platforms doesn't mean they didn't beat Apple to it.

But hey...at least you got to "buy" Twitter and Angry Birds. It was so difficult to "install" Twitter and download Angry Birds before. Thanks to Apple "leading the way", it's easier than ever.

There's no software on Windows that I would buy from "an app store". Either it's far too large and unwieldy for downloading (e.g. CS4, Cakewalk Sonar) or I would simply go to the website in my browser. A walled-off Internet where everything is an "app" and I should only use the codecs that Steve Jobs approves of is precisely why I don't like Apple's "paradigm". I tried it the first time when it was called AOL, and it sucked then.
    Are you forgetting about Ubuntu? It's had a centralized software center for a while now...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Are you forgetting about Ubuntu? It's had a centralized software center for a while now...
    Yes, I am forgetting about Ubuntu. I encourage you to do the same. I don't believe they are exactly the same thing, and they certainly are not the same in terms of market impact. When all the other app stores pop up, they will not be modeling Ubuntu, but Apple. That's just how it goes.
    Yes, I am forgetting about Ubuntu. I encourage you to do the same. I don't believe they are exactly the same thing, and they certainly are not the same in terms of market impact. When all the other app stores pop up, they will not be modeling Ubuntu, but Apple. That's just how it goes.
    You can't just pretend that the Ubuntu software center doesn't exist and then claim "Apple did it first". So, why does Ubuntu not count? Because not enough people use it?
    There have been some rumors Microsoft is doing the same for windows 8. So everyone should get used to it. I think we are moving away from purchasing things from brick and mortar stores (As far as siftware and media goes) and moving to where everything is downloadable. Most programs are, just on seperAte sites with different installers. I actually downloaded my home design software, sims 3, virus protection, office 2007, and even windows 7 all from the Internet. Pretty much all recent software is on the Internet so it's not a bad move to have it all in one place for is shopping and downloading. People could find things they never knew they wanted
    You can't just pretend that the Ubuntu software center doesn't exist and then claim "Apple did it first". So, why does Ubuntu not count? Because not enough people use it?
    You've heard of the fabled "Reality Distortion Field" for fans of Apple, right?

Consider it a fable no more.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Apple's about 7 years late to the game as Steam has been doing this since 2003, and quite successfully.
  16.    #16  
    It was tongue in cheek. Try not to take me more seriously than I take myself. I still say the two are not the same. This is a case I don't actually have to make. Just watch the news and see how events unfold. The times, they are a changing.
    As long as its optional, i think its a good thing. I'd still prefer the traditional method for apps like Office.
    It was tongue in cheek. Try not to take me more seriously than I take myself. I still say the two are not the same. This is a case I don't actually have to make. Just watch the news and see how events unfold. The times, they are a changing.
    There is only one other desktop OS. And of course they will get something like this native to Windows at one point. Who cares? Intel's AppUp Store for Netbooks provided Windows apps in such a store before Apple's went live. Ubuntu/Jolicloud had it well over a year ago. Steam had it before that.

It's called evolution.

Which of course, Apple invented around the time biological life came into being.

This is where I was when the iPad came out, and when the Mac store was announced. I still can't believe that Jobs realized the power of the applet model vs monolithic software, but maybe he did.

And even if it's like older app stores (remember Handango??) it is important because Apple is doing it, with Microsoft also planning to do it.

What I can't understand (because I don't have a Mac) is how all this translates to devices that don't have touch screens. Do you use the mouse to shoot angry birds?

And are there fewer apps because so many aren't needed on a Mac with a full browser, etc? I think I'll have to wander into the local Apple store this weekend and get a demonstration.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    As long as its optional, i think its a good thing. I'd still prefer the traditional method for apps like Office.
    There lies the rub. Yes, it is optional, and will continue to be. That is not the point. It is the experience that the vast majority will prefer. Already, I don't want to buy programs any other way. They already have Aperture. How long before they can do something like Logic Studio?

Developers will be forced, not by Apple, but buy consumers, to adopt the new way of doing things. I think it is already happening. It certainly has with me, and I'm an advanced user. When mom buys an MBA, that big Dock icon will be the only way she buys apps.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast