Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    What I can't understand (because I don't have a Mac) is how all this translates to devices that don't have touch screens. Do you use the mouse to shoot angry birds?

    And are there fewer apps because so many aren't needed on a Mac with a full browser, etc? I think I'll have to wander into the local Apple store this weekend and get a demonstration.
    The only reason you are confused about this is that you are equating the Mac App store with the iOS App Store. They are not the same. It is not a porting system for iOS apps. It is a system for distributing OSX apps.

    Angry Birds was probably very simple. The game mechanics from an end-user perspective, is just pulling and releasing a slingshot. It can be done with the mouse trackpad. It is perfect on the Magic Trackpad. I guarantee, there will be plenty of demos on YouTube. I suspect the Apple Stores will be filled with people playing AB on the in-store Macs. It will sell Macs.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    There lies the rub. Yes, it is optional, and will continue to be. That is not the point. It is the experience that the vast majority will prefer. Already, I don't want to buy programs any other way. They already have Aperture. How long before they can do something like Logic Studio?

    Developers will be forced, not by Apple, but buy consumers, to adopt the new way of doing things. I think it is already happening. It certainly has with me, and I'm an advanced user. When mom buys an MBA, that big Dock icon will be the only way she buys apps.
    The only other rub i guess would be how many licenses is it? Tied to computer or user? And i'd have to download these for each computer.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    There lies the rub. Yes, it is optional, and will continue to be. That is not the point. It is the experience that the vast majority will prefer. Already, I don't want to buy programs any other way. They already have Aperture. How long before they can do something like Logic Studio?

    Developers will be forced, not by Apple, but buy consumers, to adopt the new way of doing things. I think it is already happening. It certainly has with me, and I'm an advanced user. When mom buys an MBA, that big Dock icon will be the only way she buys apps.
    One of the advantages of this for the software developer, of course, will be controlling piracy more effectively.

    Which as a user sort of sucks, but as someone who wants to support developers, it is sort of good.

    I give up the ability to share a disk with a friend - illegally - for the convenience of going to a store off of my desktop.
  4. #24  
    Can apps purchased for iPhone/iPad be used on the Mac, or do they have to be purchased again?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Can apps purchased for iPhone/iPad be used on the Mac, or do they have to be purchased again?
    My understanding is that these aren't iOS apps and have nothing to do with iOS app store.
  6. #26  
    So do they still have 200,000+ apps? I am so clueless about Mac.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The only other rub i guess would be how many licenses is it? Tied to computer or user? And i'd have to download these for each computer.
    Purchases are tied to your Apple ID, same as iTunes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Can apps purchased for iPhone/iPad be used on the Mac, or do they have to be purchased again?
    New program, new platform, new experience, new code = new purchase. It is like re-buying a movie on BR when you have already bought the DVD.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Can apps purchased for iPhone/iPad be used on the Mac, or do they have to be purchased again?
    What Cardfan said. If you liked Angry Birds at $.99 for you iPhone and $4.99 for your iPad, you'll love dropping another $4.99 for your Mac. (Heck, it's $9.99 on Intel's PC AppUp store)
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Purchases are tied to your Apple ID, same as iTunes.

    So say i had 5 Macs, buy app once, install on all 5 using my apple ID?
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What Cardfan said. If you liked Angry Birds at $.99 for you iPhone and $4.99 for your iPad, you'll love dropping another $4.99 for your Mac. (Heck, it's $9.99 on Intel's PC AppUp store)
    Oh, come on. Loosen up. Do you have any idea how much you would pay for such a popular title on xbox or PSP? I could buy it three more times and not spend as much.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    So say i had 5 Macs, buy app once, install on all 5 using my apple ID?
    Yep.
  12. #32  
    and if the Moto Atrix is used, users would only need to buy one copy to use on the phone, laptop, tablet, monitor or TV.

    Only time will tell, but the Atrix model looks promising.
    I see pandas.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Oh, come on. Loosen up. Do you have any idea how much you would pay for such a popular title on xbox or PSP? I could buy it three more times and not spend as much.
    Actually, Playstation has will be getting it this week as one download you can play on both your PS3 and your PSP. But no one knows pricing, so maybe you shouldn't make this assertion yet.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Actually, Playstation has will be getting it this week as one download you can play on both your PS3 and your PSP. But no one knows pricing, so maybe you shouldn't make this assertion yet.
    I saw that too. I believe Angry Birds on the Playstation Network will be $3.99. Might get it for my PSP
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Actually, Playstation has will be getting it this week as one download you can play on both your PS3 and your PSP. But no one knows pricing, so maybe you shouldn't make this assertion yet.
    Having owned console and handheld gaming systems, I can only go on past experience. Everyone who has ever bought a game on one of those platforms knows exactly what I am talking about.
  16. #36  
    This really isn't new.

    It has been going on for gaming for years now. I think the vast majority of people not buying twitter apps or angry birds will continue getting their programs they way they have because its more comfortable for them.

    If it was difficult to get applications in the PC/Mac world...MAYBE this would be more useful...but it isn't.

    I can google an application as fast as i can search for it in an app store. At least on the developers website i can see all informatino about the appplication rather than a summary.

    For instance, a great program i use on my PC is My Movies3. Its a data collection software that integrates with Windows Media Center. I spent a good hour just reading their FAQ's and other information. Something i would not get out of the summary page on an app store.

    Novel idea....paradigm shifting? No. Games will benefit the most, and as i said, Steam has existed for quite some time. I'm sure apple pushing it, will make more non tech savvy people to use it...but you are giving them A LOT of credit here.

    But congrats on your twitter purchase....
  17. #37  
    And seriously...i think i'm done with angry birds. Its boring now. It had a nice run.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    One of the advantages of this for the software developer, of course, will be controlling piracy more effectively.

    Which as a user sort of sucks, but as someone who wants to support developers, it is sort of good.

    I give up the ability to share a disk with a friend - illegally - for the convenience of going to a store off of my desktop.
    People still buy software on disc?
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    And seriously...i think i'm done with angry birds. Its boring now. It had a nice run.
    It got boring to me after the first week or so. Fun game but amazing how it stays popular for so long.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    This really isn't new.

    It has been going on for gaming for years now. I think the vast majority of people not buying twitter apps or angry birds will continue getting their programs they way they have because its more comfortable for them.

    If it was difficult to get applications in the PC/Mac world...MAYBE this would be more useful...but it isn't.

    I can google an application as fast as i can search for it in an app store. At least on the developers website i can see all informatino about the appplication rather than a summary.

    For instance, a great program i use on my PC is My Movies3. Its a data collection software that integrates with Windows Media Center. I spent a good hour just reading their FAQ's and other information. Something i would not get out of the summary page on an app store.

    Novel idea....paradigm shifting? No. Games will benefit the most, and as i said, Steam has existed for quite some time. I'm sure apple pushing it, will make more non tech savvy people to use it...but you are giving them A LOT of credit here.

    But congrats on your twitter purchase....
    Not equivalent. I just bought an App online the other day. That is how I bought apps, too. How do you pay for those apps? It is different for every vendor, and is always a headache. After paying, there is the confirmation email with your activation code. Then there is putting in the code and hoping it gets verified and activated. Not the same thing.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions